[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Commodore Research and Development.

rjc@wookumz.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (01/09/91)

In article <41220@nigel.ee.udel.edu> TAAB5@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>   Japanese companies put 2-3 times the engineering talent into their
>products as do American companies.  The result: better products.  Companies
>in other countries are catching onto this idea, and are putting putting
>more of their total sales into research and devlopment.  Unfortunately,
>companies in the U.S. have yet to learn this idea, especially companies
>like Commodore.  It is fortunate that very few U.S. companies are as
>bad as Commodore in this respect, though, or we'd be in *REALLY* bad
>shape!
>
>   As for IBM, the mainframe market is totally dominated by IBM, precisely
>because IBM spends quite a lot on R&D.  IBM is one of the few U.S.
>companies that are still highly respected in Japan, precisely because
>IBM is one of the few U.S. companies that have caught onto the concept
>of putting a lot of money (as a percentage of total sales) into R&D.
>BTW, over half of IBM's R&D budget goes into long-range scientific R&D --
>research that may not pay off for 50 years or more, if at all.  A lot of
>research at IBM is on things like superconductivity, nanotechnology,
>and other research that does not turn short-term profits.  By comparison,
>ALL research at Commodore is very short-term, precisely because
>Commodore's managers are more worried about short-term profits then
>long-term strength.

  Tell me marc, how do you know so much about the Japanese culture and
what American companies they respect if any. How do you know ALL
Commodore research is 'very short-term'? You don't work for Commodore.
How do you know what Commodore managers are thinking? Sometimes I wonder
if you have any intelligence at all. You see one little press release on a
promotion and some lay offs, then make BROAD SWEEPING IGNORANT conclusions
on things you know nothing about making yourself look like a total idiot.
Then after 3 or 4 posts telling about the new newsgroups, especially
comp.sys.amiga.advocacy, you continue to post these messages to comp.sys.amiga.
You have no idea what your talking about as shown by your 'Atari Lynx has
Amiga custom chips' and your 'Commodore is cutting R&D' qwhen in fact, I heard
that Andy Finkel said they just hired 3 new engineers, and layed-off no one.

 Please, please keep your posts out of Comp.sys.amiga and redirect your
drivel to the appropriate group.

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (01/09/91)

In article <187e4f65.ARN097c@easy.hiam> lron@easy.hiam writes:
>In article <41220@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, Marc Barrett writes:
>
>>    As for IBM, the mainframe market is totally dominated by IBM, precisely
>                                                 ^^^^^^^^^
>                            Really, that's why they laid off all those
>                            personel that were on the production line
>                            for the 3090, give me a break IBM has been
>                            loosing ground in the mainframe market for
>                            quite a while.  Why would a company buy an
>                            IBM mainframe when they can get a machine
>                            that's compatible with the IBM machine but
>                            faster, cost less and backed buy a well
>                            established company???

IBM makes most of their income from mainframes.  And that income is awesome.
The fact that they have been loosing ground does not mean that they do not
dominate in that market.  Everyone in that market is loosing ground.  The
reason is the proliferation of all these hyperactive scalar engines.

I don't intend to get into an architectural discussion here; I am aware that
mainframe performance incorporates much more than pure scalar performance.
However, many tasks that have traditionally been performed on mainframes
are now being offloaded to smaller machines.  Other tasks continue to
require the peculiar capabilities of a full-fledged mainframe.  But people
are finding that much of their work can be performed on cheaper machines.
Networking is driving this changover at an accelerating pace.

This was the nightmare that IBM was concerned about when they originally
came out with the IBM PC.  They had an alternate machine that was not
inherently crippled in the ways that the PC ultimately was crippled.  But
to produce a machine that could efficiently offload many tasks from their
mainframes of that time would have been, in their eyes, financial suicide.

IBM has always been capable of producing a really nice PC; they just haven't
been willing.  When the SPARC came out IBM responded with the RS6000.  Now
they are their own worst competitor.  Their troubles are probably not at an
end.
--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (01/12/91)

In article <22564@well.sf.ca.us> farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) writes:
                                [...]
>Hey, guys - the word is "lose".  One "o".  As in, "losing ground".
>--
>Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

Hey, Mike, I never said the ground was "lost".

They just loosed it.  Now it free, free, FREE AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!

PS - Are you going to be the spelling flamer around here?

PPS - I'm right and you're left

--
            _.

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (01/13/91)

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:

>PS - Are you going to be the spelling flamer around here?

Nah, I was just overcome by a long-standing gripe.  Somewhere in there, I
guess I just loost my mind.

--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

gjc@lsw.UUCP (Greg) (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan9.095821.22197@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>, rjc@wookumz.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

> How do you know what Commodore managers are thinking? Sometimes I wonder
> if you have any intelligence at all. You see one little press release on a
> promotion and some lay offs, then make BROAD SWEEPING IGNORANT conclusions
> on things you know nothing about making yourself look like a total idiot.

> >>                                     ^^^^
> >>                               (There is no cure)

You know I watched this happen all during the time I read the comp.sys.amiga
group.  All of you people are landing so hard on -MB-.  Maybe we should
add another group called comp.sys.amiga.flame.marc!

I have never in my life seen so many people jump on a bandwagon just to
make one, sometimes (not always) misinformed, gentleman feel bad.
Not once in any of Marc's articles have I seen him in ANY way abuse
anyone else!!

We all care about the future of this wonderful machine called the Amiga, and
I am sure that, since he has one, Marc does too.  So, please if he says
something you disagree with in the future, then please don't lower yourself
to name-calling, correct him.  And try not to be so caustic and insulting
about it, otherwise *YOU* could end up in a few kill files!

Gregory Casamento (The Borgster!)

In article <1991Jan09.153108.17485@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:

>IBM has always been capable of producing a really nice PC; they just haven't
>been willing.  When the SPARC came out IBM responded with the RS6000.  Now
>they are their own worst competitor.  Their troubles are probably not at an
>end.

Though maybe that helps explain RS6000 performance.  Its a real screamer if
you're a single user with one big task doing Workstation type floating point
operations.  If you try to load it down with lots of heavy task work and more
users, you might as well get the couple of PC Class machines you can buy with
the same money and let each of them do 1/2 the work.  Thus, the RS6000 is
forced to stay as a workstation and no do mini or mainframe type work at all
well.

In article <181@lsw.UUCP> gjc@lsw.UUCP (Greg) writes:
>We all care about the future of this wonderful machine called the Amiga, and
>I am sure that, since he has one, Marc does too.  So, please if he says
>something you disagree with in the future, then please don't lower yourself
>to name-calling, correct him.  And try not to be so caustic and insulting
>about it, otherwise *YOU* could end up in a few kill files!
>
>Gregory Casamento (The Borgster!)

	I do agree that people who call Marc Barrett four letter
words and just generally bash him and insult him should stop, it
isn't worth it. But I CAN'T understand these people who are
defending him.
	He is either posting to have fun by annoying others or he
is not sane. I remember back when he was in his "Where is 24 bit
graphics" phases, he posted 7 articles within 48 hours, all of
which were rephrased articles saying that because the Amiga
didn't have 24 bit graphics the Amiga was doomed. That was when
he first started the "Amiga -- Yesterday's Technology Forever"
signature.
	Marc Barrett regular states incorrect information/lies as
though they were facts and is always predicting doom. I compare
him to the people I see on the street with signs saying, "Repent
for the end is near." He simply has to stop saying things that
are utterly untrue and acting like he knows what he's talking
about.
	Perfect example was with his comments about Copperman's
move. He proceded to say that Copperman increased R&D
expenditures and now that he's gone that will just drop back down
to nothing and the Amiga is doomed forever. Meanwhile, Copperman
has NOTHING to do with development. In fact, Irving Gould and Co.
set the R&D spending directly. Marc stated incorrect info. as
fact and proceeded to state an opinion that was utterly negative.
	I can't believe I'm rambling on this long. I have been
trying to stay out of this but I just can't stop myself. He isn't
sane.
	-- Ethan

	"Don't forget the importance of the family. It begins
with the family. We're not going to redefine the family.
Everybody knows the definition of the family. ... A child. ... A
mother. ... A father. There are other arrangements of the family,
but that is a family and family values."

	-- Dan Quayle, of course. Our beloved Vice President.
	It's just too easy!

dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca (Colin DeWolfe) (01/15/91)

In article <181@lsw.UUCP> gjc@lsw.UUCP (Greg) writes:
>In article <1991Jan9.095821.22197@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>, rjc@wookumz.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

>You know I watched this happen all during the time I read the comp.sys.amiga
>group.  All of you people are landing so hard on -MB-.  Maybe we should
>add another group called comp.sys.amiga.flame.marc!

That sounds like a good idea, but alas, I don't know how well UNIX handles
exclamation marks in directory names.  :-)

dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca

rjc@geech.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (01/16/91)

In article <Rm5LV4w163w@exactus.UUCP> dave@exactus.UUCP (David Salas) writes:

>There is something pretty sad about all this MB vs EveryAmigaProgrammer.
>Nobody is listening.... MB comments go straight into the trashcan, without
>any consideration at all, followed by a number of derogatory attacks on his
>personal views that do nothing for the image of Commodore, nor for the
>personal image of the attacker. It seems that a lot of Amiga programmers
>are in a state of Paranoia that blinds them from seeing past their nose.
>
>It is pretty sad to see that nobody is even willing to listen to any
>crticism about their beloved machine. If the Amiga IS the ultimate machine,
>WHY are you all asking for more!? It is obvious that the machine needs to
>catch up with new technology, and there is NOTHING wrong with admiting it,
>nor about talking about it. What is a perfect operating system good for
>when so many programmers out there ignore the rules anyways!?
>
>I love my Amigas (I have 5 of them), but I am sorry to see that you people
>are more concerned about convincing the world that what we have is already
>the best there is, rather than working towards making it the best there is.
>
>Programmers out there: your rethoric does NOT pay your rent. Users DO! And
>as a USER, I don't care what kind of multitasking the amiga has, what I do
>care for is that applications I use work well with it.

  Do you really think we are not willing to listen to criticism? There's
a fine line between constructive criticism and bashing. Long before Marc
made it to Usenet, people were discussing the Amiga's limitations:

1) No MMU Protection, Resource tracking, virtual memory.
2) No OS 24 bit graphics support.
3) Lack of 'bigname' software.
4) Poor marketing.
5) Custom chips still NMOS.
6) poorly written software.

 Marc's problem is that he uses misinformation to back up his posts, and he
reiterates the same posts every month! I think I can speak for some people in
that we are tired of hearing the same thing. Marc acts as if he knows
Commodore's mistakes ahead of time, their decisions they will make, what
every Amigan wants for his machine, etc.
 Don't make this into a battle of Programmers vs Users, because its not.
Computers need everyone, smart advertising/marketers, engineers, programmers,
and users. Users are free to make comments about poor programming/engineering/
marketing. The problem arises (like with Marc) when they comment about
things they don't understand as if they understood them. What I mean by
this is, suppose for example I said 'The Amiga custom chips are
easy to redesign in CMOS, its the poor quality of Commodore engineers
that's stopping this.'. Since I'm not an engineer, I have no right to
say this, especially since its a mistruth. The correct thing to say
would be 'Why haven't the custom chips been upgraded to CMOS?'.

  Some of Marc's posts are correct, but a lot of them aren't. His points
are valid, but not the method he uses to communicate them. Marc also
keeps changing accounts making it hard for people to put him in their
killfile.

In article <242^HH|@rpi.edu> peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) writes:
>In article <17561@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>>Though maybe that helps explain RS6000 performance.  Its a real screamer if
>>you're a single user with one big task doing Workstation type floating point
>>operations.

>Well, I don't know about the more users comment.  My dad's company does
>business applications using Informix, and with 20 or so users on a
>base RS6000 it still seems awfully fast.....  even though lot's of
>I/O is going on.

I don't think I/O is really a problem.  The RS6000s have the double-speed
MCA bus (peaks at 40 MB/s), as well as a 20 MB/s "optical bus".  That's
generally plenty of I/O to support a number of users.  The problem seems to
be that lots of task switching can bring this machine to its knees.  I don't
use RS6000s myself, but like for any new CPU architecture, I've been
watching this one.  In various reviews (the January Personal Workstation,
and a UNIX Review a few months back), they find these systems have better
than [workstation] average hard disk performance, excellent single user math
and CAD performance, reasonable but not amazing [workstation class] graphics
performance, and rather moderate performance under a heavy task load (like
the AIM benchmark series).

>I don't know what would happen if you had all 20 people running Matlab
>though.... (but then again, even one person running Matlab tends to screw
>our Sun4's at work.... :)

Actually, the same kind of thing seems to be true of Sun SPARC machines.
Though the SPARCs seems to have kind of a plateau effect -- they drop off
linearly for CPU hog tasks 1..N, then all of a sudden take a nose dive.   I
don't know if this is a Sun 4 implementation detail, or an expected effect of
the SPARC architecture, though.

jcb@frisbee.Eng.Sun.COM (Jim Becker) (01/16/91)

daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

    Actually, the same kind of thing seems to be true of Sun SPARC
    machines.  Though the SPARCs seems to have kind of a plateau
    effect -- they drop off linearly for CPU hog tasks 1..N, then all
    of a sudden take a nose dive.  I don't know if this is a Sun 4
    implementation detail, or an expected effect of the SPARC
    architecture, though.

There was a problem with PMEG allocation scheme that caused this  sort
of  problem.  It has been fixed for new software releases. The problem
occurs when virtual memory goes over 16meg and the Page  Mapping  info
isn't cached.

-Jim Becker

	 Jim Becker / jcb%frisbee@sun.com  / Sun Microsystems

		     (kinder & gentler) != WW[3]

daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

> Actually, the same kind of thing seems to be true of Sun SPARC
> machines. Though the SPARCs seems to have kind of a plateau effect --
> they drop off linearly for CPU hog tasks 1..N, then all of a sudden
> take a nose dive. I don't know if this is a Sun 4 implementation
> detail, or an expected effect of the SPARC architecture, though.

Nope, that is a well know and easily explained characteristic of _any_
virtual memory system, usually called the "working set" phenomenon.

It is a characteristic of any well written, modular software that it can
execute along quite happily with a small subset of its total
executable's virtual pages in real memory, because execution is focused
for a "substantial" period of time on a limited number of virtual memory
pages called the "working set". It is characteristic that the task
executes some instructions out of _each_ page of its working set in every
normal preemptive time slice. So, as long as

   (number of cpu intensive tasks) * (average working set of pages) <
   (total available real memory for virtual pages)

page faults will be relatively rare and cpu bound jobs will mull happily
away, execution traces limited to pages already in memory, for
"substantial" (many time slices) periods of time, getting a substantial
portion of 1/Nth of their stand-alone performance out of the cpu.

When a process does page fault, there is a page not currently in demand
that can be swapped out, and the other jobs use the extra time to their
benefit.

But, let the needed virtual page working sets exceed the total real
memory available to hold them, and merry hell breaks loose.  Since there
aren't enough real memory pages to hold all the working sets, some job
will do a page fault, and the page that gets swapped out is going to be
one that another job is going to need _immediately_ when its time slice
comes around in turn, so it will page fault, causing a page to be
swapped out that another job is going to need in its next time slice,
which causes a page fault, ... ad infinitum.

The process is called thrashing, physically it means the read heads are
moving so fast across the swap area your computer is trying to walk off
your desk, and _no_ job gets any work done, since every job that comes
up to finally execute in its newly swapped in page promptly hits another
page in the working set that has been swapped out to satisfy some other
job, so it page faults and goes back to sleep.

The net result is that all N+1 jobs are sleeping waiting for page fault
i/o almost all the time, the swap area i/o is maxed out, and performance
drops into a black hole.

It's really instructive to work through the numbers on this one, but I
don't have the input data available, so you'll have to live with the
qualitative description above.

And, this having become a tutorial, a copy goes to .introduction.
Snaffle it, Ferry, for the FAQs, please.  Followups back to .advocacy.

Kent, the man from xanth.

mykes@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (01/16/91)

> [...]
>
>Programmers out there: your rethoric does NOT pay your rent. Users DO! And
>as a USER, I don't care what kind of multitasking the amiga has, what I do
>care for is that applications I use work well with it.
>

>+---------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
>| David Salas                           | Exactus   : David Salas         |
>| President                             | Genie     : EXAC-DAVE           |
>| Exactus Information Service           | UUCP      : exactus!dave        |
>| (707) 524-2548 @ 2400 (8N1)           | Fax       : (707) 524-2546      |
>| (707) 524-2553 @ 9600/1400 (V32/HST)  | Voice     : (707) 524-2547      |
>+---------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
>My views are not necesarily those of Exactus Corp or anyone else.

The Amiga needs to catch up in only a few ways.  But it seems to me everyone
else (IBM, Apple, etc.) is trying to catch up to the Amiga in more ways.  The
Amiga started the Multimedia revolution and is still way ahead.  Amiga is
the first PC-type computer that had multitasking and virtually all software
ever written for it (except for some video games) support it in a very friendly
way (unlike Windows 3.0 or Multifinder) and have since day 1.  The Amiga is
the only box I know of (actually I know it is the only box...) that you can
run Amiga, CP/M, Unix, and MS-Dos in windows on the same machine.  It is
also the only box that you can boot up as Amiga, Unix, or Mac.

The Amiga is also the only system that you can buy for $500 and play great
games on or buy for $4000 and compete favorably with some of the highest
end workstations money can buy.  The Amiga is the only computer you can
buy a video toaster for!

The areas which the Amiga has been lacking are improving very quickly.  There
will be a choice of 10+ 24-bit video cards within 6 months.  There is networking
software and hardware available from several vendors.  And the biggest area
that the Amiga has been lacking in has been favorable press and that is changing
radically (witness the recent articles in Byte Magazine).  Another big area
that needs much more improvement (but none is forseeable) is in the area of
the normal applications that you run on lesser computers.  Of the major
software developers, you won't find any Microsoft, Lotus, Ashton Tate, etc.,
programs for the machine.  The best you can find is an older version of
WordPerfect.  The main reason for the lack of support is that Amiga users
expect more from software than these large companies have been able to do
on the lesser machines and when a plain vanilla port of a PC program runs
on the Amiga, it looks pretty weak.

Mykes

swalton@solaria.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (01/17/91)

[Please note that Ken has the Followup-To line on the original message set to
'comp.sys.amgia.advocacy.']

A similar thrashing effect with virtual memory can be demonstrated
with a single program which does a Fast Fourier Transform of a large
array.  The standard FFT algorithm requires pairs of elements of the
array separated by 1 at pass 1, 2 at pass 2, 4 at pass 3, and on up to
N/2 at step log_2(N).  This causes horrible effects.  Once again, one
sees that the time for the FFT grows as expected as N*log_2(N) for N
smaller than the working set, then explodes to much larger values.

Before re-becoming an astronomer, I programmed hypercube architecture
computers, and the FFT was my specialty.  One of the big advantages
they have is lots of RAM:  an AMETEK (now defunct) 64 node system had
64 MB of real RAM and could do a 32 MB FFT several times faster than a
VAX with 8 or 16 MB.

So, VM is not The Solution To All Your Woes.
-------------------------------
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
   I am srw@csun.edu no matter WHAT the stupid From: line says!

ben@contact.uucp (Ben Eng) (01/17/91)

In <17616@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>In article <242^HH|@rpi.edu> peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) writes:
>>In article <17561@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>>>Though maybe that helps explain RS6000 performance.

>>with 20 or so users on a base RS6000 it still seems awfully fast.....
>>even though lot's of I/O is going on.

There is a comprehensive article titled "A Performance Comparison of
the IBM RS/6000 and the Astronautics ZS-1" by William Mangione-Smith,
Santosh G. Abraham, and Edward S. Davidson of the University of
Michigan in the January 1991 issue of _Computer_ from the IEEE
Computer Society.  The catch phrase is "application-specific
performance bounds for two superscalar machines, and the DECstation
3100, help explain actual delivered performance and indicate areas for
improvement."  It's a fairly technical article that might give some
insight into the RS/6000.

Ben
--
Ben Eng                  | ben@contact.uucp  (416)-431-3333
150 Beverley St. Apt #1L | Bix: jetpen

bruce@zuhause.MN.ORG (Bruce Albrecht) (01/18/91)

>There is something pretty sad about all this MB vs EveryAmigaProgrammer.
>Nobody is listening.... MB comments go straight into the trashcan, without
>any consideration at all, followed by a number of derogatory attacks on his
>personal views that do nothing for the image of Commodore, nor for the
>personal image of the attacker. It seems that a lot of Amiga programmers
>are in a state of Paranoia that blinds them from seeing past their nose.

I think there are very few Amiga owners who would not agree with Marc Barrett that
Commodore should be developing hardware and software to improve the resolution and
number of colors the Amiga can display.  The problem is that Marc Barrett tends to
post a half a dozen articles a month, every month, announcing the doom of the Amiga
because they aren't improving it the way he wants it improved.  He's been doing
this for several years.  There's at least one university that decided not to buy
Amigas primarily because of a few rants by Barrett about a year ago.  Many of his
postings on why it would be easy to improve the Amiga in the ways he wants it
improved, or comparisons with other systems are wrong, and show a deep lack of
understanding of the technical issues.  Most recently, he posted several articles
which were grossly inaccurate in terms of hardware, as well as totally inaccurate
in terms of Commodore's business organization.  His claims that Commodore would be
laying people off in R&D when, in fact, the were actually hiring, is at least as
damaging, if not more so, than anything his detractors could do.
--

bruce@zuhause.mn.org

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (05/05/91)

(Ray Cromwell) writes:

     Do you really think we are not willing to listen to criticism? There's
   a fine line between constructive criticism and bashing. Long before Marc
   made it to Usenet, people were discussing the Amiga's limitations:

   1) No MMU Protection, Resource tracking, virtual memory.
   2) No OS 24 bit graphics support.
   3) Lack of 'bigname' software.
   4) Poor marketing.
   5) Custom chips still NMOS.
   6) poorly written software.

I know a company that can help you with 5 out of six of those.  Number
5 doesn't apply.

-Mike