[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] The Tower and the Trade Up Policy -- Deal or Disappointment?

maxc1503@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) writes:

> The not announced yet A3000T has more slots in the tower case, wait if
> you can.
[...]
> Hope this help, plus check out the new Trade up policy: very good
> deals A3000!

Well, the tower configuration is what I was hoping to buy, and the Trade
Up Policy prices are the ones I was hoping to buy it at; any chances the
two will intersect, or is this another clear off the shelves _before_
releasing the much superior product deal, like the A2000 trade up just
before the A2500 hit the shelves? Granted the price break is nice, but
finding out you just sprang big bucks for a machine to see it superseded
by something you'd rather have bought even at a higher price a month
later is not such fun.

Kent, the man from xanth.

blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (05/05/91)

xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>Well, the tower configuration is what I was hoping to buy, and the Trade
>Up Policy prices are the ones I was hoping to buy it at; any chances the
>two will intersect, or is this another clear off the shelves _before_
>releasing the much superior product deal, like the A2000 trade up just
>before the A2500 hit the shelves? Granted the price break is nice, but
>finding out you just sprang big bucks for a machine to see it superseded
>by something you'd rather have bought even at a higher price a month
>later is not such fun.

I think your speculation is probably accurate, especially since no price
has yet been announced for the A3000T. I've owned an A3000 for nearly a
year, and with the "T" expected to sell for a fair bit more than the
original, I'd still buy the A3000. The T's two extra IBM slots are
meaningless to me, and there's only one more Zorro III slot. The extra
drive space is nice, but I've already got a stack of 5.25" drives in
external cases filling up a corner of the room.

If the A3000T had 6-8 Zorro III slots I might be tempted to switch from
my A3000, but only one more slot is a disappointment.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com                               BIX: blaine_g

cactus@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Todd Masco) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May4.104839.18395@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>... or is this another clear off the shelves _before_
>releasing the much superior product deal, like the A2000 trade up just
>before the A2500 hit the shelves?

Firstly, the A3000T is almost certainly not part of the deal.  When I
spoke to the sales droid at Commodore over the phone, only the
A3000/16-* and /35-* models were mentioned.

Secondly -- I'm not convinced that the Tower model is a big step up
from the A3000.  As far as I can tell, its main big wins are slots and
tidyness.  If you really want to throw every peripheral under the sun
into it, then fine, the A3000T is necessary.  But are there any other
significant wins?

I fully intend to buy the A3000-25/50 in the next few days.  Plus, an
Ethernet card of some sort if the entire setup isn't too expensive
(blah.  PC Ethernet cards are cheap.  What's so expensive about Amiga
Ethernet?).

--
Todd L. Masco - CMU Physics   | "Free speech is the right to shout "theatre"
cactus@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu |   in a crowded fire."

In article <12922@pt.cs.cmu.edu> cactus@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Todd Masco) writes:
>In article <1991May4.104839.18395@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>I fully intend to buy the A3000-25/50 in the next few days.  Plus, an
>Ethernet card of some sort if the entire setup isn't too expensive
>(blah.  PC Ethernet cards are cheap.  What's so expensive about Amiga
>Ethernet?).

I wrote up a poster for a house party I'm planning.  It came out as 2MB of
PostScript code.  It uploaded from my A3000 to "cbmvax" in under a minute.
Since the printer queue was down, I went next door to my buddy Greg's PC-40,
which has a weird Eicon printer that also does PostScript.  That PC's Ethernet
took over 15 minutes to download my file.

Going by that unscientific estimate of transfer rate, if a PC Ethernet card
costs $100, the Amiga card should go for $3000.  So think of it as a bargain.

      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA) (05/07/91)

As quoted from <12922@pt.cs.cmu.edu> by cactus@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Todd Masco):
+---------------
| (blah.  PC Ethernet cards are cheap.  What's so expensive about Amiga
| Ethernet?).
+---------------

Maybe the Amiga version works halfway decently?  (I have no idea, but I know
what it takes to implement networking under that glorified program loader the
Intel-based crowd dotes on.  Can you say "kluge"?)

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			  Ham: KB8JRR/AA  10m,6m,2m,220,440,1.2
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		       (restricted HF at present)

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (05/07/91)

In article <21323@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>In article <12922@pt.cs.cmu.edu> cactus@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Todd Masco) writes:
[...]
>>(blah.  PC Ethernet cards are cheap.  What's so expensive about Amiga
>>Ethernet?).
>
>I wrote up a poster for a house party I'm planning.  It came out as 2MB of
>PostScript code.  It uploaded from my A3000 to "cbmvax" in under a minute.
>Since the printer queue was down, I went next door to my buddy Greg's PC-40,
>which has a weird Eicon printer that also does PostScript.  That PC's Ethernet
>took over 15 minutes to download my file.
>
>Going by that unscientific estimate of transfer rate, if a PC Ethernet card
>costs $100, the Amiga card should go for $3000.  So think of it as a bargain.

Here are the results of diskperf running on a NFS-mounted partition
from our Sun 4/490 fileserver. I did it after hours when not much was
going on:

--------------------------------
Amiga NFS disk performance test:
Filename converter on (case-sensitive/non-sensitive converter)

File create/delete:    create 7 files/sec, delete 43 files/sec
Directory scan:     8 entries/sec
Seek/read test:     63 seek/reads per second
r/w speed:          buf 512 bytes, rd 97693 byte/sec, wr 28011 byte/sec
r/w speed:          buf 4096 bytes, rd 117597 byte/sec, wr 96346 byte/sec
r/w speed:          buf 8192 bytes, rd 162569 byte/sec, wr 119156 byte/sec
r/w speed:          buf 32768 bytes, rd 164697 byte/sec, wr 120989 byte/sec
r/w speed:          buf 131072 bytes, rd 165130 byte/sec, wr 116724 byte/sec
r/w speed:          buf 524288 bytes, rd 167772 byte/sec, wr 121222 byte/sec

This was with an A2500/20 (14 MHz)

The fastest we have done with even '386 machines on the same network is
about 45k/sec reads, so in terms of speed, it is a 'real' Ethernet
card.

While clearly not as fast as my new 2091/Quantum 50M, it does compare
favorably with the 2090a/Rodime 40M, which is only about 50k/sec
faster.

I would also like to point out that file transfers are not all that
benefits. You should see xterms run on this thing. Much faster than the
Sun 3/60's around here! Sure wish the Amiga console could jump-scroll
like the xterms do. Yes, I know that the Sun is responsible for the
tremendous character-rendering speed of the xterms, but...  still would
like that jump-scroll.

Kent Polk: Southwest Research Institute
Internet : kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
UUCP     : $ {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent