[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Survey

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (04/23/91)

In article <3068@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> jpotter@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Jonathan Potter) writes:
>The A5000 is a product put out by some European company, which from what I
>can tell is basically an A500 with an 030/881 in it....

	I wish that IDIOT COMPANIES would STOP naming their Amiga peripherals
"the Axxxx", where "xxxx" is some number... particularly when "xxxx" ends
with "00", as in "A1500", "A5000", etc.

	It confuses the FUCK out of consumers.

							Dan

goddard@ste.dyn.bae.co.uk (Steve Goddard) (04/26/91)

In article <3068@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> jpotter@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Jonathan Potter) writes:
>The A5000 is a product put out by some European company, which from what I
>can tell is basically an A500 with an 030/881 in it....

Almost right. it's a 68020+68881 socket combo with 1Meg 32 bit ram
expandable to 4Megs. It's made by Solid State Leisure Ltd., here in UK
(costs 295UKP).
I don't work for them etc, etc., but come payday I'll be buying one
(yum yum).

Steve the G.  (Steve Goddard)
  "You can lead a hacker to a terminal, but you can't *make* him code"

In article <8116@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:

>	I wish that IDIOT COMPANIES would STOP naming their Amiga peripherals
>"the Axxxx", where "xxxx" is some number... particularly when "xxxx" ends
>with "00", as in "A1500", "A5000", etc.

>	It confuses the FUCK out of consumers.

I agree.  It's stupid.  And it's really going to confuse customers, especially
the customers of these idiot companies, if Commodore ever decides to come up
with a product that'll get a similar knickname, such as an Amiga 1500 or
Amiga 5000, which they very well might.  Some fool calling their product
"Axxxx" isn't going to have one iota of an effect on Commodore naming
conventions.
      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz (Sleeping Beagle) (05/07/91)

daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

> In article <8116@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett)
>
> >	I wish that IDIOT COMPANIES would STOP naming their Amiga peripherals
> >"the Axxxx", where "xxxx" is some number... particularly when "xxxx" ends
> >with "00", as in "A1500", "A5000", etc.
>
> >	It confuses the FUCK out of consumers.
>
> I agree.  It's stupid.  And it's really going to confuse customers, especiall
> the customers of these idiot companies, if Commodore ever decides to come up
> with a product that'll get a similar knickname, such as an Amiga 1500 or
> Amiga 5000, which they very well might.  Some fool calling their product
> "Axxxx" isn't going to have one iota of an effect on Commodore naming
> conventions.

Depends. I liked the name that GVP used for their accelrator before the
A3000 came out.    A3001 probably wasn't going to be confused with
any official product but still had the right pedigree.

But in general, I would have to agree.

--
   Sleeping Beagle (aka Thomas Farmer)  sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz
   The Kennels                          Ph. +64-4-796306 (voice)