[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] WP? WP?

k2doggo@dorsai (jim chapman) (05/07/91)

To Michael Mellinger--

When you mention WP, as in "Now if only Commodore could get WP or some other
decent word processing program..." are you referring to Word Perfect?  The
same Word Perfect that's been available on Amiga since 1987?

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (05/08/91)

In article <uHJJ21w163w@dorsai> k2doggo@dorsai (jim chapman) writes:

   To Michael Mellinger--

   When you mention WP, as in "Now if only Commodore could get WP or some other
   decent word processing program..." are you referring to Word Perfect?  The
   same Word Perfect that's been available on Amiga since 1987?

I'm going to ignore this message too for obvious reasons.

-Mike

jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) (05/08/91)

In <uHJJ21w163w@dorsai> k2doggo@dorsai (jim chapman) writes:

>To Michael Mellinger--
>
>When you mention WP, as in "Now if only Commodore could get WP or some other
>decent word processing program..." are you referring to Word Perfect?  The
>same Word Perfect that's been available on Amiga since 1987?

The same Word Perfect that is at the same state of functionality now as it
was in 1987?

The same piece of crap Word Perfect that Amiga owners like to talk about just
because it's a known name in word processing?  The same software that hasn't
been updated to at least 5.0?  The same program that is slow (on my 68030!)
and has a few bugs when it comes to large documents (a certain thesis paper
comes to mind...).

The same Word Perfect where there is minimum support from Word Perfect?
The same Word Perfect that Amiga owners had to write in to get continued
acknowledgement from Word Perfect a while back because Word Perfect said that
they would discontinue Word Perfect for the Amiga?  (I cannot call it
'continued support' because the changes in the latest WP for the Amiga is
still v4.1 with some new cosmetic changes -- no new features).

And the Amiga is in a really sorry state, as far as I'm concerned, due to
Word Perfect being the most feature-filled word processor for the Amiga.  If
it were 5.0 (at the very least), and ran at a decent clip we could talk about
the Amiga having a word processor.  Until then, Amiga Word Perfect users
will just have to continue to wait an exceptionally long time for windows in
Word Perfect to come up, math to be calculated and full keyboard support on
the (custom made) file requestor.

I continue to use Word Perfect on the Amiga because the other word processors
available don't have all the features of Word Perfect (some don't even have a
common thing like footnotes!) and I want to be able to take my documents
(with all formatting included) to a real Word Perfect elsewhere.

I am in no way saying that Word Perfect is a great word processor.  It's
simply, in my view, the most powerful one available for the Amiga.

Basically, saying that a piece of crap tastes better than another piece of
crap doesn't mean that crap tastes good to begin with.

Jeff
--
jeffo@uiuc.edu