[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] NeXT factory production capacity

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (05/09/91)

In article <-=4Gbcw*1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>In article <1991May05.070044.15476@ariel.unm.edu> nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
>
>   In the NeXT article in this months Forbes it said that even the figure of
>   8000 personal workstations (I think) was high since more than half of
>   those sales figures were for upgrade boards to the 040.  It also said
>   that the NeXT factory was only operating at 1/10 of its capacity.  This
>   talk of back orders sounds a little fishy to me.  I get the idea that
>   NeXT may not be around about this time NeXT year.

Kind of hard to produce at full capacity when Motorola doesn't give you
enough chips.  The only company that is getting a large supply of '040s
is NeXT.  Even HP isn't getting them in the quantity NeXT is.

>Someone yesterday said there were 1500 upgrade boards included in that
                                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yep, I'm sure it is.  I bought opne of the 1500.

>figure.  Hmmm.  Have to read it for myself.  And yes, as I have said
>the factory is capable of producing 100,000 computers a year.
Yep, it is completely automated.  But the factory can't run at full
capacity - see above.

>-Mike

Kent
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */