[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] CDTV & CD-I The Whole Picture

roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Roger Earl) (04/18/91)

I've been following the progression of both CDTV and CD-I for some time now,
both on the net and in the magazines.  I think its about time to summarize
my opinions.
Both are stand alone CD-Rom Multi-Media units intended for the mass market
of none computer owners.  The specs on both machines are pretty much equally
impressive with a few flaws and a few extras in both machines.  CD-I's early
claims at Full Motion Video were quite a bit premature and Commodore
promises to support Full Motion Video when it becomes a standard regardless.
The real predominant differences between CDTV and CD-I will show in the
applications and the price.

The CDTV is around $1000 (probably a bit higher until supply an demand
balances out) with applications at roughly $60-$100.
The cost of a CD-I is still pretty much unknown (with all kinds of people
quoting all kinds of prices) but the applications are expected to be around
$80-$200.

There is a reason for the difference in price.  It has a lot to do with the
OS that the two Machines are running.  CDTV runs under AmigaDOS 1.3.  CD-I
runs under OS9.  Development systems, programmers, and experience are all
readily available and cheap for the Amiga.  OS9 Development systems and
programmers are both hard to find and very expensive.  There are actually
software houses that are already making applications for CDTV and perhaps
'porting' them over to CD-I if it does well.  When development costs become
apparent maybe a lot of software companies will follow suit.  As far as
games are concerned, virtually no programmers have experience writing games
under OS9.

Finally there is marketing.  Commodore seems to have the right approach in
marketing the CDTV as the new 'home appliance'.  CD-I although not really
marketing yet, has several fans in the computer world who plague the
magazines and the Net with technical references and comments like
'programmers will know what I'm talking about' which are sure to completely
turn off CD-I's own market.  Not to mention CDTV has gotten out first and
with (in my opinion) the better applications, largely due in part to the
wealth of Amiga programming and Multi-Media experience already in existence.

Please can someone repost the list of CDTV applications that have been
released.  I would also be interested in seeing a similiar list for the
CD-I.

* "The personal computer market is about the same size as the total potato *
* chip market.  Next year it will be about half the size of the pet food   *
* market and is fast approaching the total worldwide sales of pantyhose"   *
*  -James Finke, Pres., Commodore Int'l Ltd.(1982)-                        *
Roger Earl = Usenet: roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca = GEnie: R.Earl4

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (04/18/91)

In article <roger_earl.5081@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Roger Earl) writes:
>There is a reason for the difference in price.  It has a lot to do with the
>OS that the two Machines are running.  CDTV runs under AmigaDOS 1.3.  CD-I
>runs under OS9.  Development systems, programmers, and experience are all
>readily available and cheap for the Amiga.  OS9 Development systems and
>programmers are both hard to find and very expensive.  There are actually
>software houses that are already making applications for CDTV and perhaps
>'porting' them over to CD-I if it does well.  When development costs become
>apparent maybe a lot of software companies will follow suit.  As far as
>games are concerned, virtually no programmers have experience writing games
>under OS9.

That is a rather amusing point!  How many Amiga game programers have
experience writing games under AmigaOS?  Humm, most throw the OS away
and beat on the bare hardware (Note, in this message I am not saying
one way or another if this is right... :-).  If you had said, ``game
programers have more experience banging Amiga hardware over CD-I
hardware,'' then I would agree... :-/

This does bring up an important point though (IMHO), Amiga hardware banging
(to get max. performance from the machine) is a well understood, CD-I
banging is not.  This could help one find your conclusion.

Hey, this also brings up another point!  Can game designers (or others,
for that matter) read the CD-ROM without the OS intact?  If not (here's
hoping... :-), then more games might be forced to run under the OS...
Does anyone know how the CD file system works on the CDTV, I mean
does it use the OS to a full extent like most SCSI controllers?

>Roger Earl = Usenet: roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca = GEnie: R.Earl4

Loren J. Rittle
l-rittle@uiuc.edu
--
``The Amiga continues to amaze me--if I had not been told that this video was
  created using the Amiga and Toaster, I would not have believed it.  Even

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (04/18/91)

> The real predominant differences between CDTV and CD-I will show in the
> applications and the price.

Disagreement on the price diffs, but yes, absolutely correct on the titles!
Unfortunately -- so far I haven't read a single good review of the first CDTV
apps, here or on CIS.  Reactions have ranged from  "disappointing", to
"the quality and/or animation were pretty bad",  to "if this is the best
then I don't see what the big deal is",  to "I'll wait for some games".

My fears of a premature introduction (technically and title-wise) giving home
component I-TV a bad name, have apparently come frustratingly true.  Damnation!
I feel like back when the first CD-audio/laserdisc titles were bad tape copies.

> There is a reason for the difference in price.  It has a lot to do with the
> OS that the two Machines are running. [...] Development systems, programmers,
> and experience are all readily available and cheap for the Amiga.  [CD-I]
> development systems and programmers are both hard to find and very expensive.

Sure, there's a demand for CD-I programmers (realtime C types, mostly - code
work is usually done on Suns or other workstations, then cross compiled).
Perhaps you should check out what their salaries are?  I doubt they'd be
embarrassed to leave their contracts behind on a disc ;-).

There also seem to be several other commonly spoken notions:

1. CDTV HAS NICE DEV TOOLS-  True, and they're helpful for CDTV authors. So?
CD-I development work has been under way since _1986_ (ironically, some of the
earliest CD-I tools and demos were from Amiga companies such as EA and Aegis).
We're also going to see hardware and software spinoffs coming from CD-I soon.
So don't be misled.  For almost as far back as when the A1000 first came out,
CD-I studios have been busily creating CDROM I-TV authoring soft/hardware.

2. LET'S JUST SLAP SOME COMPUTER APPS ON DISC-  That isn't I-TV.  That's dull!
Yes, it might work okay for some already-interactive games (with =lots= of work
added on to take advantage of at least some of the extra disc space). But
otherwise, the whole point is to NOT make it like a computer with CDROM drive.
Don't confuse what you'd want on your Amiga, with what people'd want on _CDTV_.
Remember also that virtually all units will only have a joystick control.

3. INEXPENSIVE GEAR IS IMPORTANT-  There are MUCH more important cost factors:
a/v artists, large amounts of data collection and editing, and lots of time.
Are successful commerical movies recorded in lowpaid, one-man garages?  Rarely.
Most CD-I studios are well-backed, and have enormous materiel and experience
resources.  The same companies who help bring you the Discovery Channel and
Sesame Street and other shows, are among the many dozens creating CD-I titles.

Actually, notions #2 and #3 also have a combo side: the NOW EVERYONE AND THEIR
GRANDMA CAN MAKE A PROFESSIONAL COMMERCIAL DISC IN TEN MINUTES one (also known
previously as the I GOT ME A VIDEOCAM - NOW I'M A BIGNAME MOVIE STUDIO dream).
Hopefully it'll be true some day, but that's waaay in the future. best - kevin

In article <1991Apr18.161346.3409@ncsu.edu> kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:

>Disagreement on the price diffs, but yes, absolutely correct on the titles!
>Unfortunately -- so far I haven't read a single good review of the first CDTV
>apps, here or on CIS.  Reactions have ranged from  "disappointing", to
>"the quality and/or animation were pretty bad",  to "if this is the best
>then I don't see what the big deal is",  to "I'll wait for some games".

	Kevin, the World Atlas, for example, wasn't
"disappointing". It wasn't miraculous, but it was quite nice. It
had stuff that a real World Atlas would never have, such as
native music.
	Also, you have to expect that most of the people around
here are NOT the target audience for CDTV and CD-I. These are
hardened computer users who are used to Shadow of the Beast and
Badge Demos. They KNOW great graphics, and expect it.
	I don't believe that photorealistic graphics are
necessary for CDTV to succeed. I think that HAM digitized images
are close enough that most people will consider them
satisfactory, although certainly CD-I will be better.
	BTW, don't forget that one of the tools for CDTV
development is AmigaVision. That is certainly helpful for
development, especially in terms of time savings.
	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Roger Earl) (04/19/91)

Here we go again.....

kdarling@ncsu.edu writes...
>CD-I development work has been under way since _1986_
(stuff deleted)
>For almost as far bask as when the A1000 first came out, CD-I studios have
>been busily creating CDROM I-TV authoring soft/hardware.

This is exactly why CD-I is gonna cost a fortune.  These studios are estimated
to cost $800,000 for a full CD-I studio.  And they have been developing for 5
years without any profit whatsoever.  Sure we are talking big companies like
Philips who have major resources to fall back on.  But in order to make a
profit from CD-I the prices are going to be steep.

>2. LET'S JUST SLAP SOME COMPUTER APPS ON DISC-  That isn't I-TV.  That's
>dull.

Do you consider Amigavision to be dull ?  If you do your not much of a
Multi-media fan and I can't see why you are even interested in CD-I.
Amigavision is the Multimedia authoring system, CDTV is the multimedia
display platform.

And inexpensive gear IS important.  Sorry, but any business is going to look
at cost first, high-tech second.  With Amiga authoring systems they will get
relatively low cost and powerful high tech.  CD-I is high tech at enormous
cost.  You are hoping and dreaming if you think CD-I will be cheap (to the
developer or the home user).  The developers are already jumping on the CDTV
bandwagon.  So far it looks like applications will be made for the CDTV
first, then ported over to CD-I.

BTW, I give favorable reviews to all of the CDTV applications I have seen so
far.  The World Vista Atlas was great, very intuitive and easy/fun to use.
The same goes for the Dictionary/Encylopedia.  Both were great educational
tools/toys.  The Case of the Cautious Condor looked also very intriguing, and
proved once again (as many other games have in the past) that a good game
doesn't need super-hires-animation to be entertaining.  Also, it looks like
there are a lot of Murder mystery type games being made for CDTV, something
that could never be done so well before.

When CD-I eventually gets released I will take a look at its applications and
review them fairly.  Don't forget, I am a fan of multi-media and I've waited
for CD-I just as long as anyone else, I just hope I can afford it.

                                                __________
                                               |  ______  |
   ________                                    | |      | |
  | ______ |      'But that isn't a fair       | |      | |
  ||      ||       comparison.  People         | |______| |
  ||______||      like the Etch-A-Sketch.'     |          |
  | o    o |                                   | _ _ _ _ _|
  |________|                                  (|__________|\
                                              |     ________)_
Roger Earl                                   [^]   |          |
roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca             [_]   |__________|

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr18.174928.21079@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>	Also, you have to expect that most of the people around
>here are NOT the target audience for CDTV and CD-I. These are
>hardened computer users who are used to Shadow of the Beast and
>Badge Demos. They KNOW great graphics, and expect it.
>	I don't believe that photorealistic graphics are
>necessary for CDTV to succeed. I think that HAM digitized images
>are close enough that most people will consider them
>satisfactory, although certainly CD-I will be better.
>	-- Ethan

One of the most important things that Kevin mentioned, in my opinion, is that
CD-I has some Hollywood professionals behind it.  Now who are we talking
about?  People who understand the human psyche better than most psychologists
and who've proved that they do by their success. ...people who advertise
and sell floor wax to women who have no-wax floors.  ...people who made Ron
Reagan the "Teflon President."  These people will fill their CDs with all kinds
of subliminal content and will design specific 'entertainment' for specific
personallity types.  These people know what they're doing and they are good
at what they do.  If CD-I has backing from Hollywood profesionals and CDTV
does not, CDTV will not have a prayer.

You know, I really wonder about C= sometimes.  Yes, I think that it is possible
for the slick marketing people at Apple to pull the Desk Top Video market rug
out from under Amiga's feet.  I've always assumed that C= was a big company
with true 'profesionals' who understood the wicked ways of the modern world
but geese.  Just where is West Chester Pa. anyway?

                                         NCW

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (04/20/91)

roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Roger Earl) writes:
> [...] has several fans in the computer world who plague the
> magazines and the Net with technical references and comments like
> "programmers will know what I'm talking about" [...]

Oh, c'mon. Really.  "...plague... with technical references"??  That phrase
sounds similar to the way other computerists respond to Amiga owners.  Yuck.
Yet this isn't about _anything_ "vs Amiga" as some seem to fear; it's only
about CD-I component and CDTV component comparisons.  Get a life.

I've got over 20 years of computer graphics hardware and software experience.
I've studied the Amiga since day one (I bought an A1000), and am often known
on the CIS Amiga forums as a good source on ANIM and gfx hardware details.
I've also spent four years semi-seriously following CD-I/I-TV progress, and
two years utilizing CD-I chips in 68K standalone industrial controller boards.

Apologies if I post some specs which mostly programmers/techs would understand,
and reject hardware myths and brandname jingoism.  Oh, and I don't believe in
ganging up, either ;-).  Would appreciate it if y'all would also wait, think,
and then reply over a few days... unless you feel you'd lose some advantage.
I have a biz to run; and anyway am here to educate, not for silly conflicts.

I've been overwhelmed in email with questions... and will post a composite
reply soon.  Should be very interesting.  thanks to all - kevin

In <1991Apr19.234710.26180@ariel.unm.edu> nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:

> You know, I really wonder about C= sometimes.  Yes, I think that it is
> possible for the slick marketing people at Apple to pull the Desk Top Video
> market rug out from under Amiga's feet.  I've always assumed that C= was a
> big company with true 'profesionals' who understood the wicked ways of the
> modern world but geese.  Just where is West Chester Pa. anyway?

(My gut impression is that Bushnell took advantage of their CD-I ignorance.)
But in some ways we're being too hard on CBM.  They _have_ enlisted at least
a few "Hollywood" types for CDTV.  Lucasfilm is an example, I think.

See, usable raw material (that is, movie/sound samples with copy rights) will
be one important factor in I-TV.  This is partly why CD-I backers acquired
Polygram, Columbia, MCA and so on.  Not just for CD-I, but for future
interactive projects not yet announced, or perhaps even thought of.

One of the best quotes on this topic comes from a CDROM Market Analysis done
a few years ago by LINK Resources Corp and InfoTech:

  "To be assured of success in the wide marketplace, CD-I [and now CDTV] must
offer a completely new kind of experience.  It must be an experience that
bears returning to frequently.  It must compete successfully with existing
uses of time, whether entertainment-, education- or work-related.
  "And the CD-I industry must begin now to (re)create what both compact disc
audio players and videocassette recorders were born with: a pre-existing
storehouse of content (in the latter cases, records and movies) ready to be
transferred to a new medium."

best - kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

In article <1991Apr20.065435.17965@ncsu.edu> kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:

>See, usable raw material (that is, movie/sound samples with copy rights) will
>be one important factor in I-TV.  This is partly why CD-I backers acquired
>Polygram, Columbia, MCA and so on.  Not just for CD-I, but for future
>interactive projects not yet announced, or perhaps even thought of.

	Getting rights to those materials is VERY easy. Go to
AmiExpo. There were companies showing clips from Back to the
Future III, Predator and Total Recall. That stuff is cheap to do.
You don't think IVS and ICD are "big money" companies?
	And I know that they were just showing, not selling. But
I doubt that Polygram, Columbia, MCA, etc. are going to give
stuff for free to CD-I either. Most likely both sets of people
will pay about the same.
	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (04/20/91)

es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>>See, usable raw material (that is, movie/sound samples with copy rights) will
>>be one important factor in I-TV.
>
>	Getting rights to those materials is VERY easy. Go to
>AmiExpo. There were companies showing clips from Back to the
>Future III, Predator and Total Recall. That stuff is cheap to do.

I'd be pretty surprised if those companies had obtained any rights on those.
More likely, they just crossed their fingers and hoped they weren't caught :-)

Or did they say they had gotten permission?  thx! - kev

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (04/20/91)

>  Kevin, the World Atlas, for example, wasn't "disappointing". It wasn't
> miraculous, but it was quite nice.

Perhaps people should post more reviews and comments, then?  The _only_ two
I'd seen so far on the Atlas from Amigans were these, and I quote:

  "I question the quality of some of the software. (Let me preface this by
  saying I saw limited examples of the CD ROM software.) Some of the graphics
  have a severe case of the "jaggies" which I assume should look somewhat
  better on a television.  The software which featured a little bear had very
  limited animation for a program that can access 550K of storage. The map
  software looked good at first but during scrolling we could see the legend
  of the origional map and it seemed that we were just looking at a digitized
  blowup of an atlas you might already have at home. I hope the rest of the
  software is better than the limited amount of stuff I saw because there is
  so much potential (I didn't see any of the reference material except for the
  atlas.)"    .... and ...

  "I watched only for a few minutes as what was available on it looked pretty
  lame.  The Atlas program seemed _very_ limited."

>  Also, you have to expect that most of the people around here are NOT the
> target audience for CDTV and CD-I. These are hardened computer users [...]

Ummm.  Yes.  Then I guess these hardened users can handle another bombshell:
Not only does OS-9 run on the basic CD-I chips, but also a realtime Unix clone
with MMU protection and paging, GEM, and windowing Tripos.  Perhaps they should
soften up a bit, as they might own a CD-I video based computer before long :-)

>   I don't believe that photorealistic graphics are necessary for CDTV to
> succeed. I think that HAM digitized images are close enough that most people
> will consider them satisfactory, although certainly CD-I will be better.

In most cases, I agree.  BTW, astute readers have noticed that I never directly
compare the systems (I only told what CD-I has) until others do so first.

Still, we should note that HAM only has 16 grey levels, which can be a factor.
And once again, if HAM is "satisfactory", then I guess all those video authors
buying DCTV and other boards must be wasting their money?

> BTW, don't forget that one of the tools for CDTV development is AmigaVision.
> That is certainly helpful for development, especially in terms of
> time savings.

There are comparable, but more professional oriented, tools in CD-I studios.
Time savings in the AV learning curve perhaps, but that's mostly a factor for
the relatively newer market of CDTV authors.  And AV is certainly not the tool
people would use for CD-audio capturing and editing, video digitizing, etc.
As an ARexx frontend, yes.  But directly, no way.

In many ways, both systems will end up having similar studios.  Envision
a place where everyone has a workstation, all linked through networking.
One person is mousing up an audio/video time script;  another is sampling
and editing new audio; another is touching up digitized video data; another
is playing back 24-bit color animations as a testbed.   All these A/V files
are converted to IFF for interchange, and the group's editor is in another room
testing out how the title plays back by using one of several 1-gigabyte hard
disks (for CDROM emulation).  Sounds like an Amigan's dream place to work.

Yet I've just described a typical large CD-I studio. Surprised?   - kevin

In <roger_earl.5395@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Roger Earl) writes:

[repost, previous cancelled because frankly, I was tired when I wrote it :-]

>>CD-I development work has been under way since _1986_
>
> This is exactly why CD-I is gonna cost a fortune.  These studios are
> estimated to cost $800,000 for a full CD-I studio.

Sounds like you included the office space, a dozen programmers and artists,
and a similar number of workstations.  In other words, just what the better
CDTV studios will also require.  In any case, your info is wrong.

CD-I development systems with emulation and disc building capabilities,
including sequence and art editors, start under $10K.  And that will drop.

> And they have been developing for 5 years without any profit whatsoever.

And CBM has been developing 2.0 for how many years?  Etc.  No, these companies
had the long view in sight, and most had plenty of other income sources in
addition to Sony/Philips funding.  Sure, absolutely they'll want to make that
money back.  No doubt about it.  I don't think that'll mean discs will be
as high-priced as mentioned, tho.  Quantity.  Shall we agree to wait and see?

> Do you consider Amigavision to be dull?

I don't consider it to be the end-all of professional authoring software, no.
Do you?  If so, I have severe doubts as to your experience.

I've also been told that the first CDTV demos were done under CanDo, not AV.

> And inexpensive gear IS important.  Sorry, but any business is going to look
> at cost first, high-tech second.

Quality is more important in my book.  Ever seen a movie taken on cheap
equipment?  It looks and sounds bad once you've seen pro stuff, doesn't it?
I-TV is a very similar business in that regard.  You seem to be arguing
that CDTV discs will be overpriced, for the investment developers make, btw.

> So far it looks like applications will be made for the CDTV
> first, then ported over to CD-I.

Backwards, if anything.  When CDTV was first shown last year, part of the
"push" was that CD-I developers could make some quick money before CD-I came.
Haven't checked to see if any did, tho.  Anyone know?  Groliers is on both.

> The Case of the Cautious Condor looked also very intriguing, and
> proved once again (as many other games have in the past) that a good game
> doesn't need super-hires-animation to be entertaining.

Agreed.  But funny... that sounded more like an non-Amigan talking :-).

> Also, it looks like there are a lot of Murder mystery type games being made
> for CDTV, something that could never be done so well before.

Same for CD-I.  You're probably right that more games will be done on CDTV.
Unknown yet if games will mean much, at least until players get very cheap.

> When CD-I eventually gets released I will take a look at its applications and
> review them fairly.  Don't forget, I am a fan of multi-media and I've waited
> for CD-I just as long as anyone else, I just hope I can afford it.

I'll repost the titles for both systems.  You must've missed that before.
Then again, a lot of discussion wasn't in .advocacy. <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

In article <1991Apr20.125400.27471@ncsu.edu> kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:
>es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>
>>>See, usable raw material (that is, movie/sound samples with copy rights) will
>>>be one important factor in I-TV.
>>
>>	Getting rights to those materials is VERY easy. Go to
>>AmiExpo. There were companies showing clips from Back to the
>>Future III, Predator and Total Recall. That stuff is cheap to do.
>
>I'd be pretty surprised if those companies had obtained any rights on those.
>More likely, they just crossed their fingers and hoped they weren't caught :-)
>
>Or did they say they had gotten permission?  thx! - kev

	I made that mistake assuming that they hadn't gotten
permission on CompuServe and got blasted by the ICD rep. The
permission is VERY cheap.
	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

In article <1991Apr20.130639.27962@ncsu.edu> kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:
>>  Kevin, the World Atlas, for example, wasn't "disappointing". It wasn't
>> miraculous, but it was quite nice.
>
>Perhaps people should post more reviews and comments, then?  The _only_ two
>I'd seen so far on the Atlas from Amigans were these, and I quote:
>
>  "I question the quality of some of the software. (Let me preface this by
>  saying I saw limited examples of the CD ROM software.) Some of the graphics
>  have a severe case of the "jaggies" which I assume should look somewhat
>  better on a television.  The software which featured a little bear had very
>  limited animation for a program that can access 550K of storage. The map
>  software looked good at first but during scrolling we could see the legend
>  of the origional map and it seemed that we were just looking at a digitized
>  blowup of an atlas you might already have at home. I hope the rest of the
>  software is better than the limited amount of stuff I saw because there is
>  so much potential (I didn't see any of the reference material except for the
>  atlas.)"    .... and ...
>
>  "I watched only for a few minutes as what was available on it looked pretty
>  lame.  The Atlas program seemed _very_ limited."

	As to the bear CD, in its defense there was probably over
20 minutes worth of sound that it played back while the 16 color
anims were playing. That would take up somewhere less than 1/2 of
the CD right there. As to the second review, the person only
spend a few minutes looking at the program and spent even less
time telling us what he didn't like. 8-)

>>   I don't believe that photorealistic graphics are necessary for CDTV to
>> succeed. I think that HAM digitized images are close enough that most people
>> will consider them satisfactory, although certainly CD-I will be better.
>
>In most cases, I agree.  BTW, astute readers have noticed that I never directly
>compare the systems (I only told what CD-I has) until others do so first.
>
>Still, we should note that HAM only has 16 grey levels, which can be a factor.
>And once again, if HAM is "satisfactory", then I guess all those video authors
>buying DCTV and other boards must be wasting their money?

	Oh, come on Kevin, don't use arguments which you yourself
know are dumb. Many people are buying DCTV for video work. It
also costs $400 street price. Until there is more support for
DCTV from 3rd party people, DCTV is a video addon.

>> BTW, don't forget that one of the tools for CDTV development is AmigaVision.
>> That is certainly helpful for development, especially in terms of
>> time savings.
>
>There are comparable, but more professional oriented, tools in CD-I studios.
>Time savings in the AV learning curve perhaps, but that's mostly a factor for
>the relatively newer market of CDTV authors.  And AV is certainly not the tool
>people would use for CD-audio capturing and editing, video digitizing, etc.
>As an ARexx frontend, yes.  But directly, no way.
>
>In many ways, both systems will end up having similar studios.  Envision
>a place where everyone has a workstation, all linked through networking.
>One person is mousing up an audio/video time script;  another is sampling
>and editing new audio; another is touching up digitized video data; another
>is playing back 24-bit color animations as a testbed.   All these A/V files
>are converted to IFF for interchange, and the group's editor is in another room
>testing out how the title plays back by using one of several 1-gigabyte hard
>disks (for CDROM emulation).  Sounds like an Amigan's dream place to work.
>
>Yet I've just described a typical large CD-I studio. Surprised?   - kevin

	You know, that sounds like a studio filled with Amigas.
8-) I don't see WHAT you just mentioned that can't be done using
an Amiga studio. Your point is moot. There has been that kind of
software developing for the Amiga from many companies for years.
The only reason that you keep pointing out that all these
programming tools have been created for CD-I is because CD-I had
no outside support as it wasn't selling.
	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr20.095337.31340@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <1991Apr20.065435.17965@ncsu.edu> kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:
>>
>>See, usable raw material (that is, movie/sound samples with copy rights) will
>>be one important factor in I-TV.  This is partly why CD-I backers acquired
>>Polygram, Columbia, MCA and so on.  Not just for CD-I, but for future
>>interactive projects not yet announced, or perhaps even thought of.
>>
>	Getting rights to those materials is VERY easy. Go to
>AmiExpo. There were companies showing clips from Back to the
>Future III, Predator and Total Recall. That stuff is cheap to do.
>You don't think IVS and ICD are "big money" companies?
>	And I know that they were just showing, not selling. But
>I doubt that Polygram, Columbia, MCA, etc. are going to give
>stuff for free to CD-I either. Most likely both sets of people
>will pay about the same.
>	-- Ethan
>
>Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
>A: None. It's a hardware problem.

Its not 'materials' that I was talking about, its expertise.  Its people who
know how to commuicate on several different levels.  There are reasons that
Presidents have PR people and there are reasons that these people are paid
hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.  Hollywood these days is as much a
haven for people in the social sciences as it is for artists.  I think the
uninitiated would be amazed at the intensity of scientific consumer research
that goes on.  I would guess that the dollar volume of consumer research in
this country out paces ALL electronic research ten to one.

I don't mean to be hard on C= either.  I don't know why they don't advertise.
They may have well calculated reasoning behind that decision.  And they may
have some good 'Hollywood' types behind CDTV and CDTV may become a big hit
and CD-I may fail.  I just wonder sometimes.  But if anyone doesn't believe
in 'Hollywood expertise' and 'image' and 'big time PR' go have a little
talk with Mike Dukakas or Walter Mondale or for that matter any Amiga owner
who has listened to some idiot tell him that the IBM PC is a better machine.

                                      NCW
PS Not all IBM owner are idiots.  Remember Amiga is the machine that
   cooperates with IBM.  All Mac owners are idiots though.  And NeXT
   is a big bad failure who is not welcome in the PC family.

In article <1991Apr20.201207.4208@ariel.unm.edu> nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
>I don't mean to be hard on C= either.  I don't know why they don't advertise.
>They may have well calculated reasoning behind that decision.  And they may
>have some good 'Hollywood' types behind CDTV and CDTV may become a big hit
>and CD-I may fail.  I just wonder sometimes.  But if anyone doesn't believe
>in 'Hollywood expertise' and 'image' and 'big time PR' go have a little
>talk with Mike Dukakas or Walter Mondale or for that matter any Amiga owner
>who has listened to some idiot tell him that the IBM PC is a better machine.

	Who said that C= wouldn't advertise CDTV? In fact I heard
just the opposite.

>                                      NCW
>PS Not all IBM owner are idiots.  Remember Amiga is the machine that
>   cooperates with IBM.  All Mac owners are idiots though.  And NeXT
>   is a big bad failure who is not welcome in the PC family.

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (04/21/91)

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
>                                      NCW
>PS Not all IBM owner are idiots.  Remember Amiga is the machine that
>   cooperates with IBM.  All Mac owners are idiots though.  And NeXT
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  Not even a smiley?  Hmmm...

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"And remember, whatever you do, DON'T MENTION THE WAR!"

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu (04/21/91)

At One Byte Computers in Quaker Hill CT, we have an actual CDTV set up and
allow people to look at it and play around. The reaction to the machine so
far has been quite positive; people LOVE to see Lou Reed's NEW YORK CD's
graphics, and the world database is quite admirable. Nobody seems to like
the price, however; $600 is about what they'd pay, but not $999. The local
IBM snob came in and snorted, "I can get CD-ROM readers for $500." Then
I mentioned that this was a CD-ROM player WITH a computer, not one that NEEDS
a computer. He went, "Oh, in that case, it's a good deal." He walked away
impressed. We discovered that if you plug a standard Amiga external floppy
into CDTV and turn it on with a bootable floppy in the drive, you'll get a
Workbench 1.3 screen. Haven't tried it with bootable games, though...

Current Amiga owners all mentioned that they want a CDTV device for their
Amigas. And they want it NOW...

                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet
                                ~~~second-hand smoke is THEFT~~~

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (04/21/91)

In <1991Apr20.195605.23496@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <1991Apr20.130639.27962@ncsu.edu> kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:

>  As to the bear CD, in its defense there was probably over 20 minutes
> worth of sound that it played back while the 16 color anims were playing.

Bleah <g>.  I think a CDROM can hold 8,000 fullscreen 16-color images,
_along_ with 4 hours of stereo AM quality sound.  That's just to give you
a really vague idea of what a disc is capable of storing.  In a compressed
anim format, an author should be able to do _amazingly_ long things.  It
just shows that very little work has gone into these titles so far.

>>Still, we should note that HAM only has 16 grey levels, which can be a factor.
>>And once again, if HAM is "satisfactory", then I guess all those video authors
>>buying DCTV and other boards must be wasting their money?
>>
>        Oh, come on Kevin, don't use arguments which you yourself
> know are dumb. Many people are buying DCTV for video work. It
> also costs $400 street price. Until there is more support for
> DCTV from 3rd party people, DCTV is a video addon.

Right, for VIDEO work... eg: what people normally expect to see on their TV :-)

And the cost isn't a factor on the CD-I side: the equivalent of DCTV (or
judging from a message over in .graphics, double DCTV) is built into its
video output decoding chips (DYUV->RGB is cheap).

>> In many ways, both systems will end up having similar studios.
>> [description deleted]
>        You know, that sounds like a studio filled with Amigas.
> 8-) I don't see WHAT you just mentioned that can't be done using
> an Amiga studio. Your point is moot. There has been that kind of
> software developing for the Amiga from many companies for years.

WHAT point?  Read again.  I _said_ that the studios will be very similar :-).
But if you want a point, then okay... note that the description we agreed
on was a far cry from the common misconcept people have of somebody sitting
around at home alone creating a _good_ title in no time using AV/etc.

> The only reason that you keep pointing out that all these
> programming tools have been created for CD-I is because CD-I had
> no outside support as it wasn't selling.

Bogus.  Check message history.  I didn't bring up programming tools at all,
until others kept making all those naive assertions that CDTV somehow has
some kind of sole claim on authoring tools... it's almost shameful that
so many people would say something as silly as that.  Obviously tools for
I-TV CDROM creation have been worked on years longer for CD-I.  No doubt
they aren't as cute looking, tho <g>.  best - kev <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

In article <1991Apr21.004219.29013@neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:
>nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
>>                                      NCW
>>PS Not all IBM owner are idiots.  Remember Amiga is the machine that
>>   cooperates with IBM.  All Mac owners are idiots though.  And NeXT
>                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>  Not even a smiley?  Hmmm...
I thought the humor was apparent.  Believe me, I find all of this marketing
image stuff pretty damn silly even though I know that it can make or break
something.  It is just one of those things ...if you can't beat 'em, .....

                                  NCW

In article <1991Apr20.130639.27962@ncsu.edu> kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:

>Not only does OS-9 run on the basic CD-I chips, but also a realtime Unix clone
>with MMU protection and paging, GEM, and windowing Tripos.
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And you really aren't talking about Amiga and its OS here??? :-)

Anyway, this sounds interesting. Could you tell more about this new
incarnation of Tripos? You also could see it the other way round:
Another backing for the Amiga OS, at least its multitasking kernel.

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (04/23/91)

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:

>One of the most important things that Kevin mentioned, in my opinion, is that
>CD-I has some Hollywood professionals behind it.  Now who are we talking
>about?  People who understand the human psyche better than most psychologists
>and who've proved that they do by their success.
>If CD-I has backing from Hollywood profesionals and CDTV
>does not, CDTV will not have a prayer.

Well, of all the arguments I've ever seen for CD-I, this one wins the prize
for absolute silliness, bar none.  Do you mean the same "Hollywood
Professionals" who brought us DICK TRACY and GREMLINS II, not to mention
the ever-popular FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH, PART <N>?  Or, perhaps, you mean
that successful Hollywood professional, George Lucas, and his venture into
computer graphics, Pixar, which just laid off damn near all of their
employees?

--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

e._john_love@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (E. John Love) (04/23/91)

>nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
>
>>One of the most important things that Kevin mentioned, in my opinion, is
>>that
>>CD-I has some Hollywood professionals behind it.  Now who are we talking
>>about?  People who understand the human psyche better than most
>>psychologists
>>and who've proved that they do by their success.
>>If CD-I has backing from Hollywood profesionals and CDTV
>>does not, CDTV will not have a prayer.
>
>Well, of all the arguments I've ever seen for CD-I, this one wins the prize
>for absolute silliness, bar none.  Do you mean the same "Hollywood
>Professionals" who brought us DICK TRACY and GREMLINS II, not to mention
>the ever-popular FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH, PART <N>?  Or, perhaps, you mean
>that successful Hollywood professional, George Lucas, and his venture into
>computer graphics, Pixar, which just laid off damn near all of their
>employees?
>
>--
>Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

I think that regardless of whether you think these 'hollywod pro' have good
judgement or not, (let's not start THAT!) it seems fairly obvious that
whichever systems they adopt - whichever CD standard they adopt - may quite
possibly become a standard.  Like what happened to the VHS/Beta war - Beta
has better image quality, but VHS was more established so VHS won.  The
'industry' will go for whatever standard has the most backing with other
industries.

"Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Television..."
E. John Love   S.S. Outbound BBS  Vancouver, BC CANADA
(604) 322-9579   e._john_love@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca

roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Roger Earl) (04/23/91)

I'm very tired of CDTV vs CD-I being compared as a VHS vs Beta sort of thing.
I don't think the arguement is as comparable as it seems.  As I said before,
both systems have advantages and drawbacks.  CD rental places are not about
to pop up all over the place anytime soon.  It was video tape rentals that
killed Beta, not home user sales.  Interactive CDs will be a purchase war,
not rental.
And the 'Hollywood Professionals' crock is really bogus.  Both CDTV and CD-I
are claiming a lot of support from hollywood, we'll just have to wait and see
for the titles to come out.  Kevin, you are backtracking on your own
arguements, earlier you tried to point out that 'bottled' footage from movies
did not make good interactive TV.

                                                __________
                                               |  ______  |
   ________                                    | |      | |
  | ______ |      'But that isn't a fair       | |      | |
  ||      ||       comparison.  People         | |______| |
  ||______||      like the Etch-A-Sketch.'     |          |
  | o    o |                                   | _ _ _ _ _|
  |________|                                  (|__________|\
                                              |     ________)_
Roger Earl                                   [^]   |          |
roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca             [_]   |__________|

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (04/24/91)

In <1137@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>> Not only does OS-9 run on the basic CD-I chips, but also a realtime Unix
>> clone with MMU protection and paging, GEM, and windowing Tripos.
>                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> And you really aren't talking about Amiga and its OS here??? :-)

Umm.  Not talking about its OS; but yah I don't think any of us are convinced
that Ami gfx hardware is tops any more.  [note to Politically Correct Police:
No slam intended... it's still very good for the price right now. Go away :-]

Still, sure, it'd be great if the Amiga OS were available on other computers.
Don't you think so?  More support, etc.  Perhaps whenever a DIG upgrade...

> Anyway, this sounds interesting. Could you tell more about this new
> incarnation of Tripos?

You'd have to ask METACOMCO, and also the company (forgot its name - can
dig it up if necessary) which did this particular port.  I would suspect
that the current Amiga OS is far beyond whatever Tripos looks like now.

> You also could see it the other way round:
> Another backing for the Amiga OS, at least its multitasking kernel.

<g> Funny, when I suggested here a while back that running the Mac OS on the
Atari/Amiga was another "backing" for the Mac OS, I got "corrected" :-) :-)

Anyway, my point was that there are some (and will be more) neat 68K machines
available... and I think (at the risk of hurting kids' feelings) that many
computer owners become too 'provincial'.  Meaning that they turn into hardware
brandname groupies; and so lose the ability to see some newer/better things.

(I've often wondered what would happen if there were net.appliance.advocacy
groups?  Would GE icecrusher owners slug it out with B&D icecrusher owners? :)

Yet I'm a provincial also ;-).  I've stuck with Motorola cpus since day one.
I wonder what we'll all be saying/using ten years from now tho?  Hard to tell!
The only "truth" is that to stop searching for better/cheaper, is to lose
what brought many of us to the Amiga.  Well crap, I'm preaching again <groan>.
Please kill me when I do that, ok?   smiles - kev <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

brett@visix.com (Brett Bourbin) (04/24/91)

In article <24371@well.sf.ca.us>, farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) writes:
> nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
>
> >One of the most important things that Kevin mentioned, in my opinion, is that
> >CD-I has some Hollywood professionals behind it.
>
> Or, perhaps, you mean
> that successful Hollywood professional, George Lucas, and his venture into
> computer graphics, Pixar, which just laid off damn near all of their
> employees?

Whoe, hold on their TeX...
George Lucas, and Lucasfilms (or LucasArts Enterainment LTD) has nothing to do with PIXAR
now.  PIXAR was the Computer Graphics Divison of Lucasfilms before they broke off to form
thier own company.  If you wish to be accurate here, George Lucas' venture into computer
graphics is ILM (Industrial Light and Magic) and from what I hear, are doing just fine.

I openly welcome Lucasfilms Games and other divisons to work on CD-I and other Amiga
projects.  Their one company that respect my CPU and don't feel they must force me to
change my system configuration in order to simply run a game.

> Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

--
                                __
  Brett Bourbin          \  / /(_  /\/   11440 Commerce Park Drive

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (04/24/91)

roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Roger Earl) writes:
>And the 'Hollywood Professionals' crock is really bogus.  Both CDTV and CD-I
>are claiming a lot of support from hollywood, we'll just have to wait and see
>for the titles to come out.  Kevin, you are backtracking on your own
>arguements, earlier you tried to point out that 'bottled' footage from movies
>did not make good interactive TV.

Please read again.  I said that usable raw data can be a key factor.
That's different from simply playing back bottled footage, which is
something another person brought up when talking about DCTV capabilities.

They're two different subjects, tho yes, not entirely.  Bottled soundtracks
or theme music may be important in some cases (to prevent having to
start from scratch).  There's an interesting discussion about this topic
in the CIS Multimedia forum by CDROM types right now.  Catch it if you can.

best - kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (04/24/91)

In article <24371@well.sf.ca.us> farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) writes:
>nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
>

>Well, of all the arguments I've ever seen for CD-I, this one wins the prize
>for absolute silliness, bar none.  Do you mean the same "Hollywood
>Professionals" who brought us DICK TRACY and GREMLINS II, not to mention
>the ever-popular FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH, PART <N>?  Or, perhaps, you mean
>that successful Hollywood professional, George Lucas, and his venture into
>computer graphics, Pixar, which just laid off damn near all of their
>employees?
>
>--
>Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

No...  I mean the ones who sell you water for $1.75 per 16 oz bottle!

But, I heard that CDTV does have some Hollywood types behind it so the
point is moot.

                                 NCW

PS  You know, the reason that used-car salemen are advertised as all be-
    ing stupid is to make people feel superior to them.  Advertisers
    are paid to dream up new ways to make used-car salesmen look stupid
    and to make the prospective buyer feel superior.  It is also the art
    of the conman to make his victims feel superior to him.  ...so that
    they don't supspect him.  Hollywood wants you to feel superior to
    it.  You've been taken in!

In article <roger_earl.6085@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Roger Earl) writes:

>  CD rental places are not about
>to pop up all over the place anytime soon.  It was video tape rentals that
>killed Beta, not home user sales.  Interactive CDs will be a purchase war,
>not rental.

I don't know about the situation in USA. But here, video shops also
rent audio CDs from the same shelves as video cassettes. So this
marketing aspect applies to interactive CDs identically, I think.

In article <1991Apr23.192046.21177@ncsu.edu> kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:
>In <1137@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>>Kevin wrote:
>>> Not only does OS-9 run on the basic CD-I chips, but also a realtime Unix
>>> clone with MMU protection and paging, GEM, and windowing Tripos.
>>                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> And you really aren't talking about Amiga and its OS here??? :-)
>
>Umm.  Not talking about its OS; but yah I don't think any of us are convinced
>that Ami gfx hardware is tops any more.
>Still, sure, it'd be great if the Amiga OS were available on other computers.
>Don't you think so?  More support, etc.  Perhaps whenever a DIG upgrade...
>
>> Anyway, this sounds interesting. Could you tell more about this new
>> incarnation of Tripos?
>
>You'd have to ask METACOMCO, and also the company (forgot its name - can
>dig it up if necessary) which did this particular port.  I would suspect
>that the current Amiga OS is far beyond whatever Tripos looks like now.

Now I'm confused. I interpreted your first message (see first citing) that
way that Tripos will be available on the CD-I hardware, or already is.
But your latest comments don't seem to confirm this. Now what's the deal?

alec_vondjidis@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Alec Vondjidis) (04/25/91)

>In article <roger_earl.6085@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca>
>roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Roger Earl) writes:
>
>>  CD rental places are not about
>>to pop up all over the place anytime soon.  It was video tape rentals that
>>killed Beta, not home user sales.  Interactive CDs will be a purchase war,
>>not rental.
>
>I don't know about the situation in USA. But here, video shops also
>rent audio CDs from the same shelves as video cassettes. So this
>marketing aspect applies to interactive CDs identically, I think.
>
>--
>Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to  \\  Only my personal
>opinions...
>Commodore Frankfurt, Germany  \X/
>{uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

Do you mean to say that there will be CD *SOFTWARE* Rentals allowed in Europe?
 I though European countries were generally stricter than the US or Canada
when it came to software piracy.  As far as I know, software rentals have
been stopped (severelly curtailed?) in the US, because they were so
vulnerable to piracy.  Are they/will they still (be) allowed in Germany?

Regards

                 ___  ___
      /\   |    |    |       GEnie: P.VONDJIDIS1
     /__\  |    |--  |      Usenet: alec_vondjidis@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca
    /    \ |___ |___ |___

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (04/25/91)

peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>>>                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> Anyway, this sounds interesting. Could you tell more about this new
>>> incarnation of Tripos?
>>
>>You'd have to ask METACOMCO, and also the company (forgot its name - can
>>dig it up if necessary) which did this particular port.  I would suspect
>>that the current Amiga OS is far beyond whatever Tripos looks like now.
>
>Now I'm confused. I interpreted your first message (see first citing) that
>way that Tripos will be available on the CD-I hardware, or already is.
>But your latest comments don't seem to confirm this. Now what's the deal?

Didn't mean to confuse.  I try to be exact in my wording where possible.
As I wrote, Tripos has been ported to the basic CD-I chips, which are the
68070 cpu and VSC video/system-controller.  To run on a CD-I _player_
would require the usual change in some I/O drivers.  Might have been done
already; altho I do not know if it has or not.  The company was IMSC, btw.

Sidenote: I think it'd be kinda neat if the Amiga OS already had DIG,
and could be used on other gfx platforms.  regards - kevin
 <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu> (going out of town for a few days)

kudla@rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (04/25/91)

In article <alec_vondjidis.6535@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> alec_vondjidis@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Alec Vondjidis) writes:

   >I don't know about the situation in USA. But here, video shops also
   >rent audio CDs from the same shelves as video cassettes. So this
   >marketing aspect applies to interactive CDs identically, I think.

   Do you mean to say that there will be CD *SOFTWARE* Rentals allowed in
   Europe?  As far as I know, software rentals have been stopped
   (severelly curtailed?) in the US, because they were so vulnerable to
   piracy.  Are they/will they still (be) allowed in Germany?

I still see Nintendo cartridges commonly available for rental in the
US, though the RIAA is powerful enough to prevent CD rentals (you can
still take them out of the library though, not sure if you can do the
same for software on disk).  In any case, I have my doubts about
whether a ban on CD-I/CDTV rentals will stick, since it's *real*
difficult to pirate a CD-ROM!

(unless it's a CD-ripoff in the first place with only 2 or 3 megs of
actual software on it, though those could still be easily designed to
be difficult to pirate....)

Robert Jude Kudla <kudla@rpi.edu>

No more bars!  No more cages!  Just rollerskating, disco music, and
the occasional light show....

Dickson@system-m.phx.bull.com (Paul Dickson) (04/26/91)

   >I don't know about the situation in USA. But here, video shops also
   >rent audio CDs from the same shelves as video cassettes. So this
   >marketing aspect applies to interactive CDs identically, I think.

Currently it is illegal to rent LPs in the US and I expect that this
extend to tapes and CDs too.  I read this a few days ago concerning a
law proposed or passed by congress to make renting of software illegal
too.

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (04/26/91)

brett@visix.com (Brett Bourbin) writes:

>In article <24371@well.sf.ca.us>, farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) writes:
>> nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
>>
>> >One of the most important things that Kevin mentioned, in my opinion, is that
>> >CD-I has some Hollywood professionals behind it.
>>
>> Or, perhaps, you mean
>> that successful Hollywood professional, George Lucas, and his venture into
>> computer graphics, Pixar, which just laid off damn near all of their
>> employees?

>George Lucas, and Lucasfilms (or LucasArts Enterainment LTD) has nothing to
>do with PIXAR now.

Not now, true - but Lucas founded Pixar.  And sold it off when it became
clear that it wasn't the panacea he hoped it would be.  The point is that
"Hollywood professionals" have NOTHING to do or say about success in ANY
industry - not even their own.

>PIXAR was the Computer Graphics Divison of Lucasfilms before they broke off

* were sold off

>to form thier own company.  If you wish to be accurate here, George Lucas'
>venture into computer graphics is ILM (Industrial Light and Magic)

Hardly.  ILM is a special effects house.  Computer graphics is a very, very
small part of what they do.

As for Lucasfilm Games, they exist because George Lucas likes games.  Hollywood
professionalism has nothing to do with it.
--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (04/26/91)

In article <24443@well.sf.ca.us> farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) writes:
>brett@visix.com (Brett Bourbin) writes:
>

>Not now, true - but Lucas founded Pixar.  And sold it off when it became
>clear that it wasn't the panacea he hoped it would be.  The point is that
>"Hollywood professionals" have NOTHING to do or say about success in ANY
>industry - not even their own.

... ... ...right.

I don't mean to glorify Hollywood or what they do.  And I know that even
the best Hollywood professionals have their failures.  When you talk
about human behavior, you're talking about a very complicated subject and
something dependent on many factors.

Further, I find what many people do in that industry to be very immoral.
I'm not in that business but could be ...easily.  Maybe you can explain
why Mac and IBM/clone outsell Amiga.  Is it because Amiga is an inferior
machine? ...extrapolating your assertion, that is what you come up with.

I started this whole discussion because I felt kind of bad about all the
head-banging going on in the Amiga news groups about why Amiga wasn't
doing better.  I only hoped to encourage some understanding and patients
regarding Amiga sales.  I am not going to start defending Hollywood.  As
I said, I don't like what they do ...at all.  But it is a force in this
society that you have to deal with and if you don't believe that you are
only kidding yourself!

Now everthing has its limits.  I have a friend who, when the subject of
subliminal advertising comes up, says that he was watching soap operas
the other day and for no reason he went to the store and bought a box of
Kotexes.  But on the other hand, now that the Japanese own several studios
in Hollywood, what do you want to bet that the american attitude towards
the Japanese changes to a very positive attitude in the next 10 years?

                                 NCW

IP06106@PORTLAND.BITNET (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr23.200444.18839@visix.com>, brett@visix.com (Brett Bourbin)
says:

>I openly welcome Lucasfilms Games and other divisons to work on CD-I and other
>Amiga
>projects.  Their one company that respect my CPU and don't feel they must
>force
>me to
>change my system configuration in order to simply run a game.

Hopefully their CDTV titles won't have as bad a case of portitis as their
Amiga titles... I only have one of their games, Loom, but the audio/visual
aspects of Loom are pretty poor. It's too bad, because Loom did have some
promise, if for nothing else than being a good adventure game for novices..

+-- Graham Kinsey  IP06106@Portland.CAPS.Maine.edu  P/Link: G KINSEY --+
| You know, computers are just like ST:TNG....                         |
|   Amiga == Wesley (Brilliant kid, but whines too much)               |
+------------------ (with apologies to Eric Giguere) ------------------+

In article <1991Apr23.192046.21177@ncsu.edu> kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:
> Umm.  Not talking about its OS; but yah I don't think any of us are convinced
> that Ami gfx hardware is tops any more.  [note to Politically Correct Police:
> No slam intended... it's still very good for the price right now. Go away :-]

It never *was* tops. Games Designers aside, what makes the Amiga special has
always been the operating system.

> Still, sure, it'd be great if the Amiga OS were available on other computers.

Sure, but Tripos isn't the Amiga operating system. Tripos is a bag on the
side of the Amiga O/S to provide file systems and program loading. I know that
most PCs have "operating systems" that are no more than file systems and
program loaders, but the Amiga isn't one of them.

Tripos by itself, with its own memory managers, schedulers, and so on is quite
a different beast from AmigaOS. If you want to see what it looks like, you can
probably still find an old Sinclair QL to play around with.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

In article <alec_vondjidis.6535@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> alec_vondjidis@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Alec Vondjidis) writes:
>  I though European countries were generally stricter than the US or Canada
> when it came to software piracy.  As far as I know, software rentals have
> been stopped (severelly curtailed?) in the US, because they were so
> vulnerable to piracy.  Are they/will they still (be) allowed in Germany?

How do you pirate a CD-ROM game? With a $2000 hard disk? Cheaper to buy
the game.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

In article <alec_vondjidis.6535@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> alec_vondjidis@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Alec Vondjidis) writes:

>Do you mean to say that there will be CD *SOFTWARE* Rentals allowed in Europe?
> I though European countries were generally stricter than the US or Canada
>when it came to software piracy.  As far as I know, software rentals have
>been stopped (severelly curtailed?) in the US, because they were so
>vulnerable to piracy.  Are they/will they still (be) allowed in Germany?

Sorry, I'm no lawyer. I simply didn't recognize that there could be
legal problems with it. Perhaps it's indeed not legally possible.

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (05/02/91)

peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <1991Apr23.192046.21177@ncsu.edu> kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:
>>
>> Still, sure, it'd be great if the Amiga OS were available on other
>> computers.
>
>Sure, but Tripos isn't the Amiga operating system.

Yes, that's why I said "the Amiga OS" instead of "Tripos".  I may have
switched topic gears too quickly inside the one message, for that to
be clear.  Sorry 'bout that.  best regards - kev <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

manjit@digigw.digital.co.jp (Manjit Bedi) (05/09/91)

>Now everthing has its limits.  I have a friend who, when the subject of
>subliminal advertising comes up, says that he was watching soap operas
>the other day and for no reason he went to the store and bought a box of
>Kotexes.
>on the other hand, now that the Japanese own several studios
>in Hollywood, what do you want to bet that the american attitude towards
>the Japanese changes to a very positive attitude in the next 10 years?

I take some exception to that statement from what I have heard is the Japanese
are eager to get access to all the film & movie rights because with
the advent of things like CD-I and new forms of entertainment they would
love to use these things in their future products and software.

Sorry for the digression but I just had to through my hat in the ring but
I am not sure what sort of positive effect as Mr Reagan said the Japanese
will have on Hollywood.  Time will tell.
will have onxi Hollywood