[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Alternative Micro History

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (05/09/91)

dltaylor@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dan Taylor) writes:
> ltf@ncmicro.lonestar.org (Lance Franklin) writes:
>> OS/9 is a Unix?   I was under the impression that OS/9 was another real-
>> time OS with some Unix-like features (in the same way that the Amiga OS
>> is a real-time OS with some Unix-like features).

That's correct.  Tho there are some realtime Unix clones out there, to
answer the original question about that topic.

> [much good musing by Dan deleted]
>
> Given the grief that many of us suffered under 1.0 and 1.1, I wonder if
> we wouldn't have been better off with C= buying OS-9/68K, which was
> reasonably stable, at the time, then adding the part of AmigaDOS that
> really shines, Intuition, and the support for the graphics chips, as
> Microware has added graphics support to OS-9, finally.

OS9/68K came out in, umm, 1983.  When was the Amiga OS work started?  Guys?

It's always fascinating how micro history could've gone different ways.
For instance, with that original IBM/DigitalResearch/Microsoft PC thingie.
The reasons are not at all similar (and don't bear repeating), but it's
interesting to disclose that the Atari ST almost came with OS-9 as the
stock operating system.  Now, just think how that would've affected the
original Amiga/ST flamewars.  Hmmm.  Better not get into that :-).

> Please, no flames, it's just an idle thought.

Yah, it can be fun to use one's imagination.  What if Pong and other games
had never been invented?  The micro world might be much more barren now.
Or not?  Interesting to muse over.  cheers - kev <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>