[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Don't Buy a New A500...

dvp@sequent.com (Dan Vander Ploeg) (01/11/91)

...if you plan to do any typing: it has the worst keyboard feel of any system
I have ever used.  Sure wish I had tried it before buying it, but I assumed it
would be as nice as my old A500, which still feels quite nice (though it would
be nicer if the "/" and "k" keys worked dependably).

Of course, if you only plan to use it for games, this may not matter--just
don't buy the new 1084S monitor, since games don't have that little tool in
Preferences that lets you get the display back from under the right edge of
the bezel.  (No, I didn't mount it next to a large magnet.)

On the plus side, the DF0: drive is very quiet, and the monitor has adjustments
for horizontal and vertical size (NOT offset) and an earphone jack.

--
      //   UUCP:      ...!{tektronix|ogicse}!sequent!dvp         _______
=====// =========================================================|   # |

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (05/10/91)

In article <DVP.91Jan10130005@crg8.sequent.com> dvp@sequent.com (Dan Vander Ploeg) writes:
>...if you plan to do any typing: it has the worst keyboard feel of any system
>I have ever used.  Sure wish I had tried it before buying it, but I assumed it
>would be as nice as my old A500, which still feels quite nice (though it would
>be nicer if the "/" and "k" keys worked dependably).

  Well, my k and / keys work fine. :)

  Otherwise, I am not too crazy about the keyboard either. They make too much
noise, and don't spring back. They also hurt my finger tips after hours of
typing. I want rubber keys! :) But then I bought a SafeSkin keyboard overlay,
which reduced the noise and made it feel a little better. I am glad I bought
it, so I even got one for my 3000. It takes a while for the skin to match the
keyboard, but it will happen eventually.

--
           David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN
   "If you think that we're here for the money, we could live without it.