[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] WB 2.03

vrr@cbnewsj.att.com (veenu.r.rashid) (05/08/91)

On the thought of the new WorkBench release, I wonder if it wouldn't
be possible to post the updates on an ftp site somewhere.  There are
several reasons:

1.  These disks are A3000 specific and I do not see them going anywhere
    except to owners of these machines.

2.  My dealer is working with Workbench 36.10 and

	REFUSES

    to contact Commodore to get these upgrades.  He is the only dealer
    within miles of me and it is a tribute to the distributorship at
    CBM that he is unaware of any upgrades since 36.10.  I cannot
    upgrade past 36.10 *even if* I want to pay for it.

3.  It is free.

4.  (almost worst than no reason)  A certain big name computer maker
    which is retentive to the point of being paranoid about its holdings
    and products posts it's latest system upgrades to public ftp sites
    where users can access them.  Are there any practical considerations
    against doing the same thing?  <<flame>> Think of happy customers,
    if it is a rare enough thing :-( <flame off>>

5.  At least send an upgrade to users who might request it.  I called
    CBM and was told: "Wait until your dealer gets it."  I have no
    intention of spending Christmas with the first version of WB2.0.
    (The Myth of the ROM will be something not to anxiously expect to
    receiving unless it is a lifelong dream)

Would someone be willing to send me the Kickstart and WB 2.03 disks?
I am a registered A3000 owner and I will pay for disks and shipping.

That's all.  Flames will be sent to /dev/null.

Thanks very much,
Veenu

vrr@cbnewsj.att.com
phone: (908) 219-5935

In article <1991May8.025400.26915@cbnewsj.att.com> vrr@cbnewsj.att.com (veenu.r.rashid) writes:

>On the thought of the new WorkBench release, I wonder if it wouldn't
>be possible to post the updates on an ftp site somewhere.  There are
>several reasons:
>
>1.  These disks are A3000 specific and I do not see them going anywhere
>    except to owners of these machines.
>
>2.  My dealer is working with Workbench 36.10 and
>
>	REFUSES
>
>    to contact Commodore to get these upgrades.  He is the only dealer
>    within miles of me and it is a tribute to the distributorship at
>    CBM that he is unaware of any upgrades since 36.10.  I cannot
>    upgrade past 36.10 *even if* I want to pay for it.

	This doesn't sound like something you can blame Commodore
about. Just because your dealer refuses, as you say, to even call
Commodore, doesn't mean CBM didn't try to inform them. It isn't
hard to imagine that the manager, or whoever reads the mail at
the store, didn't inform anyone else about it.
	Having CBM distribute 2.0 widely is a different question
than your dealer's competence.

	-- Ethan

"Brain! Brain! What is Brain?"

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA) (05/09/91)

As quoted from <1991May8.025400.26915@cbnewsj.att.com> by vrr@cbnewsj.att.com (veenu.r.rashid):
+---------------
|     which is retentive to the point of being paranoid about its holdings
|     and products posts it's latest system upgrades to public ftp sites
|     where users can access them.  Are there any practical considerations
|     against doing the same thing?  <<flame>> Think of happy customers,
|     if it is a rare enough thing :-( <flame off>>
+---------------

Eh wot?  Since when is a beta System 7 on apple.com?

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			  Ham: KB8JRR/AA  10m,6m,2m,220,440,1.2
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		       (restricted HF at present)

nj@magnolia.Berkeley.EDU (Narciso Jaramillo) (05/10/91)

es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

> This doesn't sound like something you can blame Commodore
> about.

On the other hand, he should certainly be able to complain to
Commodore about it.  After all, dealers are authorized by Commodore;
if a dealer isn't behaving properly, Commodore should be able to
threaten said dealer with termination of authorization, no?  But
in any case, they should look into it; such problems reflect poorly
on the company.

nj