[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Computer longevity

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (05/11/91)

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>  Nope, on the Amiga you will just add a card that has 32+ megs of memory
>on it. On the NeXT you will sell your machine andbuy something else, like
>an Amiga. When I spend $3k on a computer, I expect it to last more than 5
>years. How would you like to buy a new car every 5 years?

  Actually, many people try to buy a new car every 2-3 years.  I do
the same with my computers (since 1980 I've bought new machines in
1980, 1983, 1984, 1986, 1989 and 1990).
  You get rid of your old machine while it's still working, and still
has reasonable resale value, and get a brand new one (invariably
faster) with a 1 year warranty again.

  People do the same things with cars for the same reasons.  I think it's
even more important with computers, because of the much faster pace of
obsolesence.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
Murphy's Law of Intelism:  Just when you thought Intel had done everything
possible to pervert the course of computer architecture, they bring out the 860