[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Trade Up?

2fmlhiccup@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/27/91)

Could someone please clarify this Trade Up offer by Commodore on any product.
I have been long wanting to trade up from my Amiga 500, since I desire the
benefits this system offers. (no really?)   Basically, what are the
requirements, and can you use it with an educational discount also?

Thanx
Jason Wilson

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr27.052444.30110@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2fmlhiccup@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Could someone please clarify this Trade Up offer by Commodore on any product.
>I have been long wanting to trade up from my Amiga 500, since I desire the
>benefits this system offers. (no really?)   Basically, what are the
>requirements, and can you use it with an educational discount also?
>
>Thanx
>Jason Wilson

  The requirments for the Power Up plan are that you must own a Commodore
product, such as a C64, VIC-20, Amiga, C128, PET, PC-I, or one of those
calculators they made in the 60's. Actually if you have a Commodore t-shirt
you may also be eligible, but I am not sure on that one. :)

  You get $1500 off an Amiga 25 mhz 100 meg drive, or $1250 off an
Amiga 25 mhz 50 meg drive, or $1150 off an Amiga 16 mhz 50 meg drive.

  You can not use this with a student discount. The new offer is mostly
better than a student discount. Otherwise the A3000 16/50 would cost
$1000, and I would buy one immediately. :) Then I would take it home and
exchange it with the 25mhz version while my brother wasn't looking! :)

  You cannot use this discount on a UX machine, and probably not on a tower
either.

  The offer expires June 30th. I will definitely get one by this date, even
if I have to get four jobs on the side.

  And you get to keep your old Amiga/C64/calculator.

David Tiberio

What's my favorite model number? Anything that begins with 1-800.

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

In article <1991May1.152222.24847@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
>In article <1991Apr27.052444.30110@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2fmlhiccup@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>>Could someone please clarify this Trade Up offer by Commodore on any product.
>>I have been long wanting to trade up from my Amiga 500, since I desire the
>>benefits this system offers. (no really?)   Basically, what are the
>>requirements, and can you use it with an educational discount also?
>>
>>Thanx
>>Jason Wilson
>>

>  The requirments for the Power Up plan are that you must own a Commodore
>product, such as a C64, VIC-20, Amiga, C128, PET, PC-I, or one of those
>calculators they made in the 60's. Actually if you have a Commodore t-shirt
>you may also be eligible, but I am not sure on that one. :)

	Actually, the VIC-20 is as far back as the offer goes, no
PETs.

>--
>    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
>           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)
>
>                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

	-- Ethan

"Brain! Brain! What is Brain?"

tessier@bmerh185.BNR.CA (Daniel Tessier) (05/03/91)

(David Tiberio) writes:
|>   The requirments for the Power Up plan are that you must own a Commodore
|> product, such as a C64, VIC-20, Amiga, C128, PET, PC-I, or one of those
|> calculators they made in the 60's. Actually if you have a Commodore t-shirt
|> you may also be eligible, but I am not sure on that one. :)
|>
|>   You get $1500 off an Amiga 25 mhz 100 meg drive, or $1250 off an
|> Amiga 25 mhz 50 meg drive, or $1150 off an Amiga 16 mhz 50 meg drive.
|>
|>   You can not use this with a student discount. The new offer is mostly
|> better than a student discount. Otherwise the A3000 16/50 would cost
|> $1000, and I would buy one immediately. :) Then I would take it home and
|> exchange it with the 25mhz version while my brother wasn't looking! :)
|>
|>   You cannot use this discount on a UX machine, and probably not on a tower
|> either.
|>

|>   The offer expires June 30th. I will definitely get one by this date, even
|> if I have to get four jobs on the side.
|>

|>   And you get to keep your old Amiga/C64/calculator.
I'm sure a few people are dying to know: is this offer available in Canada
too? (drool...)
/----------------------------------------------------------------\
| Dan Tessier		       PHONE   : (613)765-2380		 |
| Bell-Northern Research, Ltd. INTERNET: tessier@bnr.ca 	 |
| Ottawa, Ontario, Canada      UUCP    : ...uunet!bnrgate.bnr.ca |
|					    !bmerh185!tessier	 |
| "Mothers are the necessity of invention"			 |
|			       - Calvin & Hobbes		 |
\----------------------------------------------------------------/

wcsemb@ccs.carleton.ca (E. Bacic) (05/07/91)

I read about the trade in deal and asked our local dealer here in Ottawa
as well as Commodore Canada.  Yup, it's available.  It expires May 18th.
Its been active since March 1st! (no ads, typical!).  Anyway, you get an
Amiga 3000 with no monitor and 4meg of 4x1 RAM, 1 drive, and one of the
following config/price seletions:

	A3000/16-50	$2995		50meg HD
	A3000/25-50	$3795		50meg HD 25mhz '030
	A3000/25-100	$????		forgot to ask (to pricey anyway :-)
	A2000HD		$1795		50meg HD, standard Amiga 2000

More info can be garnered from your local dealer.  The offer expires soon
so you'd better hussle your butts if you want to get in on the deal.  Too
bad it ends so soon, it's hard to come up with $3k in 12 days!

Also, I asked how long to get on, each store said within 1 week, usually
within 2 or 3 days!  And, yes, you get to keep your old 1000 :-).

							emb

jeffk@idacom.uucp (Jeff Kelley) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May6.183919.7475@ccs.carleton.ca> wcsemb@ccs.carleton.ca (E. Bacic) writes:

>I read about the trade in deal and asked our local dealer here in Ottawa
>as well as Commodore Canada.  Yup, it's available.  It expires May 18th.
>Its been active since March 1st! (no ads, typical!).  Anyway, you get an
>Amiga 3000 with no monitor and 4meg of 4x1 RAM, 1 drive, and one of the
>following config/price seletions:
>
>	A3000/25-50	$3795		50meg HD 25mhz '030

The price posted for this configuration in the US deal was US$2249, I believe.
(I'm not sure if it had 4Mb RAM).  At an exchange rate of CAN$1 ~ US$0.86
this works out to about CAN$2615.  After applying GST to both prices
(in Alberta there is no PST, thanks to TFTA there is no duty or
 tariff on computer products from the US) we get:

	Canadian Dealer Price			US Dealer Price
		~CAN$4061			~CAN$2797

What is the reason for the wide disparity in prices?
If the US deal is in fact, $1250 cheaper for the same machine, is it
	a) permissible to drive across the border and buy a machine
	   from a US dealer?
	b) possible to mail order a machine under the deal from a place
	   like Creative Computers?

(Not implying that I intend to buy, it still seems too pricey for me,
 but if I changed my mind I wouldn't want to flush $1250 down the
 toilet by mistake.)

--
Jeff Kelley			jeffk@idacom.uucp
IDACOM, A division of HP	Edmonton, AB, Canada (403)462-4545