[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] RRe: Blitter vs. 040

d88-psm@sm.luth.se (Peter Sj|str|m) (05/14/91)

>its advantage?  On the 40Mhz Mac IIfx, the 10MHz NuBus is suppose to
>be a bottleneck.  By the way, I though that the IIfx was only around
>an 8 mip machine.  How is Commmodore getting 7.6 out of a 25MHz 030?

	7.6? Wow! I've almost bragged over my 5 MIPS. (ie. it's true!)

	As I understand the A3000 with AMaxII even runs Mac-programs faster
than the Mac IIfx because of 1) the blitter (or whatever displaythingy there's
doing the job) and 2) only the 68030 and the cache is 40 MHz in the Mac. The
rest of the computer (memory etc.) runs on 20 MHz. I'm not familiar with
how much the NuBus does.

		/Peter

                              ---===***===---
Peter Sjostrom	 INTERNET:  d88-psm@sm.luth.se	      PHONE:  +46 920 67653
Aurorum 4:13	     UUCP:  {uunet,mcvax}!sunic.se!sigma.sm.luth.se!d88-psm
S-951 65 Lulea		Everytime a change is made, the world seems to fall
Sweden			apart ... like when my world fell apart - Alf
			      ---===***===---

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (05/14/91)

In article <9105132009.AAtau12911@tau.sm.luth.se> d88-psm@sm.luth.se (Peter Sj|str|m) writes:

	   7.6? Wow! I've almost bragged over my 5 MIPS. (ie. it's true!)

	   As I understand the A3000 with AMaxII even runs Mac-programs faster
   than the Mac IIfx because of 1) the blitter (or whatever displaythingy there's
   doing the job) and 2) only the 68030 and the cache is 40 MHz in the Mac. The
   rest of the computer (memory etc.) runs on 20 MHz. I'm not familiar with
   how much the NuBus does.

Too bad there was some guy in comp.sys.mac a while back who wanted to
know how a Mac IIfx compared to the Amiga 3000.  The Mac people told
the IIfx was better(surprise).  Can anyone verify this guy's post?
Also, will AMax run System 7.0?

-Mike

sschaem@starnet.uucp (Stephan Schaem) (05/14/91)

 I would say for amax on the A3000 that using the 68030 instead would be
 faster.The blitter go around 3 time slower than the 25mhz 68030, and
 I dont know if amaxII is using the blitter in paralelle...
 Also AMAXII should be able to do 1280 (To 1536) by whatever resolution
 vertically without any slowdown (1/4 of the bus is WAISTED in
 640x400..., to bad the 68030 can use that bandwidth...)

								Stephan.

In article <v72Hx&k3@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>In article <9105132009.AAtau12911@tau.sm.luth.se> d88-psm@sm.luth.se (Peter Sj|str|m) writes:

>	   7.6? Wow! I've almost bragged over my 5 MIPS. (ie. it's true!)

You can probably get a real wide range of MIPS figures for the A3000 (or any
other computer), simply by varying the "I" variable.

>	   As I understand the A3000 with AMaxII even runs Mac-programs faster
>   than the Mac IIfx because of 1) the blitter (or whatever displaythingy there's
>   doing the job) and 2) only the 68030 and the cache is 40 MHz in the Mac. The
>   rest of the computer (memory etc.) runs on 20 MHz. I'm not familiar with
>   how much the NuBus does.

NuBus on the Mac is only involved in graphics.  You might see a faster display
on an A3000 under AMaxII versus a Mac IIfx in some cases.  I imagine any
differences there is purely due to the bus bandwith; the A3000's bandwidth to
video, when not overloaded (since AMaxII is only running black and white, it
can't overload the A3000's display in any mode) is around 7 MB/s.  I have heard
the effective bandwith of earlier Mac IIs on NuBus is more like 5 MB/s, though
I think the IIfx might be more efficient.  In any case, I don't imagine any
direct comparisons are all that common, since IIfx users tend to run 8-24 bit
color displays.  With 8-24 times the number of pixels to push around on the
Mac, you can expect the Amiga display to be faster.

IIfx peripherals are on a 20MHz bus, but that's not a big concern, since most
peripheral things tend to generate wait states anyway.  The IIfx cache
supposedly keeps up with the 40MHz 68030.  No DRAM keeps up with a 40MHz
68030, so the bus it's on probably makes little difference.  The IIfx does
apparently have a decent memory architecture, with special write latching
DRAM modules.  So I would expect CPU intensive stuff to go faster on a IIfx
than an A3000.  Never ran the race myself, though.  Pricing being what it is,
it's not a direct comparison, either.  Unless price is no object, and you
just want to race the top-of-the-line Amiga against the top-of-the-line Mac.

      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.