[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Just stop responding!

	No one can keep up a conversation by themselves. This is
one man against the world. We are not debating new issues, just
fighting. No one is about to change their minds. Yes, advocacy is
the place for this, but things are getting ridiculous! There's
only so much a man can read and keep his job! If people stop
replying, the thread will die.
	I hereby dedicate myself to not posting any more NeXT
topics, at least not a continuation to these threads. Thank you
for your support.
	-- Ethan

GEORGE BUSH MURDER ASSASSINATE PENTAGON CAPITOL WHITE HOUSE
Greetings to the loyal Americans working at the NSA! Enjoy.

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May11.192130.5577@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

	   No one can keep up a conversation by themselves. This is
   one man against the world. We are not debating new issues, just
   fighting. No one is about to change their minds. Yes, advocacy is
   the place for this, but things are getting ridiculous! There's
   only so much a man can read and keep his job! If people stop
   replying, the thread will die.
	   I hereby dedicate myself to not posting any more NeXT
   topics, at least not a continuation to these threads. Thank you
   for your support.

Wimp, chicken, afraid you might lose... :-) :-)

Actually, could you answer(or someone who knows) my blitter vs.  the
040 question?  I think that it is definitely legitimate.  Consider it
a purely Amiga question.  There must be more to the blitter.
Otherwise, why would Commodore keep investing money in upgrading the
blitter when they could simply buy a cheap RISC(what's an 030 go for
these days) and save themselves a whole lot of money.

-Mike

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) (05/12/91)

Quoted from <rw6H$#t1@cs.psu.edu> by melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger):
> Actually, could you answer(or someone who knows) my blitter vs.  the
> 040 question?  I think that it is definitely legitimate.  Consider it

    The bottleneck is access to the video RAM. The 25MHz 68030 can do
    things internally faster than the 7.whatever Blitter, but it gets
    slowed down trying to access the display. On A3000s this access is
    less of a bottleneck for the CPU than it is on previous models,
    apparently.

    The same applies to a 68040.

> a purely Amiga question.  There must be more to the blitter.
> Otherwise, why would Commodore keep investing money in upgrading the
> blitter when they could simply buy a cheap RISC(what's an 030 go for

    (a) CBM still make 68000 machines.
    (b) Some coprocessor is better than none.
    (c) The access to display RAM is as much of a problem as the
        Blitter. Not much point replacing the Blitter if the thing it's
        being replaced with is not orders of magnitude better because
        it's tied back to the current CHIP RAM bus speed.
    (d) Backward compatibility.

> these days) and save themselves a whole lot of money.

    As you must be able to see, they wouldn't be saving anything.

--
*** John Bickers, TAP, NZAmigaUG.        jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz ***
***         "Endless variations, make it all seem new" - Devo.          ***

merlin@presto.UUCP (Jeff W. Hyche) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May11.192130.5577@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>	No one can keep up a conversation by themselves. This is
>one man against the world. We are not debating new issues, just
>fighting. No one is about to change their minds. Yes, advocacy is
>the place for this, but things are getting ridiculous! There's
>only so much a man can read and keep his job! If people stop
>replying, the thread will die.
>	I hereby dedicate myself to not posting any more NeXT
>topics, at least not a continuation to these threads. Thank you
>for your support.
>	-- Ethan

	Why don't you just toss him in a kill file if you don't
want to read his post?  Personaly I find them to be very funny
and sometimes rather odd.

--
                                // Jeff Hyche
  There can be only one!    \\ //  Usenet: hychejw@infonode.ingr.com