[net.music] production, direction, arrangement

lo@harvard.UUCP (Bert S.F. Lo) (02/07/86)

What does the person who produces a record do ?
What does the person who directs a record do ?
What does the person who arranges a song do ?
How does each interact with the musicians ?

                            :::     ::::::     :::
                          :::  :::   ::::   :::  :::
                        ::::     :::  ::  :::     ::::
                       ::::                        ::::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::      Bert S.F. Lo      :::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::: lo@harvard.HARVARD.EDU :::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                       ::::                        ::::
                        ::::     :::  ::  :::     ::::
                          :::  :::   ::::   :::  :::
                            :::     ::::::     :::

kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (02/10/86)

In article <689@harvard.UUCP> lo@harvard.UUCP writes:
>What does the person who produces a record do ?
>What does the person who directs a record do ?
>What does the person who arranges a song do ?
>How does each interact with the musicians ?

 A record producer is usually involved (from my own experiences ) mostly in the
 mixing of the record -i.e. deciding at what level instruments/vocals should be
in the mix, possible helping to decide on the tone of the instruments and
possibly deciding what effects (echo etc.) should be used in the mix. I don't
know what a "director" does--if you mean engineer, the engineer is the man
sitting at the mixing console who makes sure the recording levels are proper
for all of the instrument/vocal inputs. Usually the engineer is the man who
controls the board--usually no one else does.  The song arranger would be the
person who decides in what order the parts of the song go in--eg. where to put
verses, choruses and guitar solos.  Sometimes the producer could help with this.
I hope this answered your questions.

--
"You'll be the first to go
 you'll be the first to go

                              Paul Kirsch
                              St. Joseph's University
                              Philadelphia, Pa

{ astrovax | allegra | bpa | burdvax } !sjuvax!kirsch

page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) (02/11/86)

In article <689@harvard.UUCP> lo@harvard.UUCP (Bert S.F. Lo) writes:
>What does the person who produces a record do ?

The producer is the ringleader during a recording session.  It is
his/her job to make sure the equipment is set up, union people are
hired to do the engineering, etc.  S/he manages all the other players
in the scheme: call the Manager to get the band in at 2PM, book the
studio time, sign out whatever special equipment is necessary.

But that is just the start.  Once assembled, the Producer works with
the band to 'shape' the sound.  Gets the band's opinions, uses his/her
keen sense of music to 'direct' the sound from the raw playing to the
polished piece.  Lives with the Engineer in the control booth, saying
"more snap on that floor tom, bring up the sax a bit" and other things.

After the session, the producer works to splice everything together
into a finished song, sometimes remixing things in the process.

More times than I could tell you, artists hear their records on the
radio and say "but that's not what we recorded!"  Many artists are
now doing their own producing.  It's a headache, but ultimately the
producer controls the final sound, so many undertake the task.
One of the biggest reasons for the artists not to do their own
production is that artists listen to each instrument individually
and the way that each one interacts with each other one, but don't
often listen to the overall sound, which is what the average listener
listens to.  An average producer shoots for the great overall sound,
a good producer will clean the individual instruments and then work
them in to develop the overall sound.  Much harder.

>What does the person who directs a record do ?

Usually the gofer stuff that the producer doesn't do, like setting up,
getting equipment, making wakeup calls, etc.  Also called an Asst Producer
and a bunch of other things.

>What does the person who arranges a song do ?

Tells the producer 'I want the harp to come in here, full and rich,
with the string section solidly supporing it' and other such directions
about what instruments will produce the desired *feel* that the artist
wants.  Usually the artist is the arranger, as you would expect, but this
is not always the case.

>How does each interact with the musicians ?

Along with the engineer and all the assistants ("you forgot to plug the
frigging mic in!"), the producer and *his/her* assistants, the artist
and associated groupies, etc, they basically piss and moan at each other
until the *recording* is done.  The final mixdown is calmer, with just
the engineer and producer (and usually the artist) present, tweaking
the fine points of things that most listeners won't ever notice anyway.

Anybody executive (Executive Producer) means they weren't even around
and could care less about the artist, but somebody convinced them that
they should spend some of their money on this project.  That's blatently
stereotypical, of course, and there are exceptions now and then.

Anybody want to add more?

..Bob
--
UUCP: wanginst!ulowell!page          Bob Page
ARPA: page@ulowell.CSNET             University of Lowell