[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] I want to see my Blitter in action..

jsibley@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James Sibley) (05/18/91)

   All this talk about the Blitter has got me wondering..  Being a definite
hardware novice (infant really)..  What is a simple way that I can see and
compare the actions of my Blitter and '030??  I mean I've got these CpuBlit
and FastBlit programs and I can't tell if they are doing anything worthwhile.

   So, offer me an experiment.. not too complex now, it's just curiosity not
an obsession or lifetime dream..  Let me see my Blitter in action.. Thanks..

--
      James Sibley                                Nous Sommes Du Soleil
      Seeking the truth about lemon curry.          We Are Of The Sun

johns@dworkin.Amber.COM (John Silvia) (05/21/91)

>    All this talk about the Blitter has got me wondering..  Being a definite
> hardware novice (infant really)..  What is a simple way that I can see and
> compare the actions of my Blitter and '030??  I mean I've got these CpuBlit
> and FastBlit programs and I can't tell if they are doing anything worthwhile.
>
>    So, offer me an experiment.. not too complex now, it's just curiosity not
> an obsession or lifetime dream..  Let me see my Blitter in action.. Thanks..

If you have CPU BLIT then there is a relativly simple test that will show
you the speed of the blitter.

(This works nicely on my A3000/16)

If you have a program that supports color text, or can create text that uses
more than 4 colors, then create a large text file, with lots of full rows
and full columns, and lots of colors.

Now go into an 8 color workbench and open a shell.  Open the shell window as
large as possible, and then place another window, much smaller, in front of
the shell screen.  (I did this in 2.0, I hope you can too)

Now go into the shell, and type out that file behind the other window.

You should see a mess of the blitter slowing down all around that window in
the middle, and as well, you could end up seeing "color shadows" that happen
when there is a screen refresh before the entire color bitmap was updated.

Now run CPUBLIT and try it again - a lot better!

jet@casc.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) (05/23/91)

In article <Pc6023w163w@dworkin.Amber.COM> johns@dworkin.Amber.COM (John Silvia) writes:
>If you have CPU BLIT then there is a relativly simple test that will show
>you the speed of the blitter.

So if I don't have CPUBLIT, then where can I get it?

That is, if I don't already have it...

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126
"The final twitch of "Political Correctness" grand peur has to do with the