[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Saving 5 seconds...

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) (05/19/91)

In article <1991Apr30.171321.2117@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
>In article <5733@media-lab.media.mit.edu.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> masaru@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Masaru Sugai) writes:
>  You can get a Toaster for your a3000 right now! Hell, the Toaster started
>shipping the same month the a3000 did. Lots of people use the Toaster with
>the a3000.
>
>  As for 2.0 roms, you really don't need them for any a3000. Why? every
>a3000 comes with a hard drive. It takes 5 seconds to load the kickstart,
>and you only have to do it once a day. There are very few people who will
>get roms for their a3000 just to save five seconds a day.
>
>--
>    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
>           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)
>
>                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

David,
     I'm planning to get the 2.0 ROMs when they become available.  I *HATE*
having to wait 5 seconds for 2.0 to load off disk.  Remember, those of us
who own 3000s did buy them to save time, 5 seconds is 5 seconds.  ;-)
Seriously though, I'd rather have the 512K that 2.0 takes up in RAM and I'd
rather have 2.0 be in ROM so it's not getting trashed by run-away programs.

				--George
--
George L. Skank			|Fast cars, fast women, fast computers...   ///
Senior, Electrical Engineering	|Amiga!					   ///

elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM (Eric Lee Green) (05/20/91)

From article <1991May19.031949.8671@news.iastate.edu>, by skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L):
> Seriously though, I'd rather have the 512K that 2.0 takes up in RAM and I'd
> rather have 2.0 be in ROM so it's not getting trashed by run-away programs.

The 512K of RAM is definitely a consideration if you have a stock 2mb
machine. If you have a machine with 6mb, though, the fact that RAM runs
faster than ROM might enter into your equation.

As for 2.0 being trashed by run-away programs, nada. The only thing
possibly getting trashed would be your MMU translation tables. Remember,
MMU's have the ability to map pages read-only... and the ROM space
certainly applies.

==
Eric Lee Green   (318) 984-1820  P.O. Box 92191  Lafayette, LA 70509
elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM               uunet!mjbtn!raider!elgamy!elg

sysop@insider.zer.sub.org (05/23/91)

> Seriously though, I'd rather have the 512K that 2.0 takes up in RAM and I'd
> rather have 2.0 be in ROM so it's not getting trashed by run-away programs.

I agree with you with part 1, but I haven't had a program one that killed my
Kickstart... though I did have one or two crashes that kept my machine in a
`constant reboot' state, which could only be stopped by turning it off.
Anyway, I'll put the ROMs in, too. Just to have that extra 512K w/Amigados...
(and I do not mind those 5 seconds...)

---
   SysOp @ INSIDER    --    Am Anfang war das Wort ... und dann kam TeX!