[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Computer Architecture question -- Daye Haynie

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (05/07/91)

Can you just drop a 68040 into any computer and expect it to be as
fast as a computer designed around the 68040?  Now, can you just drop
an 88K processor in a computer that is based on the 68K and expect it
to work at all?

-Mike

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (05/08/91)

In article <y_4G=zw&1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>Can you just drop a 68040 into any computer and expect it to be as
>fast as a computer designed around the 68040?

If you are comparing the A3000 to the 040 NeXT, you can expect better
performance.  I haven't met an engineer yet that thought that the NeXT's
architecture was efficient or fast.  The A3000's CPU slot was designed with
the 040 in mind (among other things).

>Now, can you just drop
>an 88K processor in a computer that is based on the 68K and expect it
>to work at all?

No.  Can you expect it in a NeXT either?  No.  It still takes a total
recompile of the software either way.  You can't expect the NeXT OS to be
ported to the 88K in minutes, either, unless they don't plan to have it
take any advantage of the CPU's architecture.

>-Mike

Greg
--
       Greg Harp       |"I was there to match my intellect on national TV,
greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu|            -- "I Lost on Jeopardy," Weird Al Yankovic

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (05/08/91)

In article <48625@ut-emx.uucp> greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) writes:

   If you are comparing the A3000 to the 040 NeXT, you can expect better
   performance.  I haven't met an engineer yet that thought that the NeXT's
   architecture was efficient or fast.  The A3000's CPU slot was designed with
   the 040 in mind (among other things).

Well, let me know how it turns out.

   No.  Can you expect it in a NeXT either?  No.  It still takes a total
   recompile of the software either way.  You can't expect the NeXT OS to be
   ported to the 88K in minutes, either, unless they don't plan to have it
   take any advantage of the CPU's architecture.

Of course it will be some work for NeXT.  However, for the software
developers it will be easy, so 99.99% of the current software will run
within days on the 88K machines.  While your finally hand-coded
assembly code on the Amiga will take quite a bit of effort.

-Mike

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (05/08/91)

In article <#c4G!au$1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>Of course it will be some work for NeXT.  However, for the software
>developers it will be easy, so 99.99% of the current software will run
>within days on the 88K machines.  While your finally hand-coded
>assembly code on the Amiga will take quite a bit of effort.
	I think you are overestimating the number of programs that were
written in AL on the Amiga. I would not be too afraid to make a bet that
only games and *maybe* less than 5 commercial packages (not big name ones
at that) were written in AL at all, and that where they were, it was in well
placed low-level functions such as time critical loops, which would be easy
to replace with HL code immediately if the new machine was fast enough that
AL was no longer needed, or fairly simply coded over in the new machines
AL.
	I have never seen ANY commercial program actually "brag" about being
written in AL (as you stated in an earlier message), and in fact, the only
people I have ever seen admit to writing anything other than a small utility
(which people could live without) in AL were die-hard demo and game coders
from Europe, who would probably not migrate to the new machine right away
anyway.
	I know that 100% of what I write is in C or another HL that I could
reasonably expect to be available for the new machine, and I would expect to
be able to simply recompile my own software in a matter of minutes on the
new machine, just as you say people will do with the nExt.
	Do you really think that serious programs like WorkPerfect, Maple,
etc. etc. which are available on many different platforms are written in
some form of AL?

				Dave

In article <1991May8.042432.27636@NCoast.ORG> davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:
>In article <#c4G!au$1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>>Of course it will be some work for NeXT.  However, for the software
>>developers it will be easy, so 99.99% of the current software will run
>>within days on the 88K machines.  While your finally hand-coded
>>assembly code on the Amiga will take quite a bit of effort.
>	I think you are overestimating the number of programs that were
>written in AL on the Amiga. I would not be too afraid to make a bet that
>only games and *maybe* less than 5 commercial packages (not big name ones
>at that) were written in AL at all, and that where they were, it was in well
>placed low-level functions such as time critical loops, which would be easy
>to replace with HL code immediately if the new machine was fast enough that
>AL was no longer needed, or fairly simply coded over in the new machines
>AL.

	I doubt that. PageStream, for example, is written
entirely in assembler. There is nothing necessarily WRONG with
that. It makes things run MUCH faster. I think that most programs
will have segments in assembler, critical sections that require
timing.
	True, these won't port easily to an 88000. But then
again, neither will AmigaDOS! I would expect that a reasonably
large portion of AmigaDOS was NOT written in C, but rather
assembler. CATS, is this true?
	At this point, porting the OS to another CPU platform is
not likely. There are so many things for CBM to do that that
can't be high on the priority list. I'm afraid what it would do
to the Zorro II/III standard. (Dave?)

>	I have never seen ANY commercial program actually "brag" about being
>written in AL (as you stated in an earlier message), and in fact, the only

	PageStream brags about it in every ad. They aren't the
only one.

	-- Ethan

"Brain! Brain! What is Brain?"

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (05/08/91)

In article <#c4G!au$1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>Of course it will be some work for NeXT.  However, for the software
>developers it will be easy, so 99.99% of the current software will run
>within days on the 88K machines.  While your finally hand-coded
>assembly code on the Amiga will take quite a bit of effort.

A lot of good that will do the users.  Have you ever upgraded software on a
Unix box?  Any commercial apps will be expensive to upgrade _if_ the
developers continue to support them.

What about Lotus Improv?  Do you expect Lotus to give out free copies of
their software and then turn around and upgrade it for even a _discounted_
price?

I'm not saying that porting would be easy (or even very possible) on an
Amiga.  I'm just saying that you're fooling yourself if you expect it to be
a joyride on the NeXT either.  Sure, most apps (more like 90%, not 99%)
will be easily recompiled, but you're going to pay through the nose for the
upgrades from the software developers.

Besides, NeXT has to make some profit and get the fabled (read: vaporware)
microkernel Mach before they can worry about a new CPU.  I personally don't
expect either of the first two to happen in the next year or so.  Of
course, with several business-oriented sources predicting the demise of
the ledger and start sweating over his resume. ;-)

Greg
--
       Greg Harp       |"I was there to match my intellect on national TV,
                       | against a plumber and an architect, both with a PhD."
greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu|            -- "I Lost on Jeopardy," Weird Al Yankovic

In article <y_4G=zw&1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>Can you just drop a 68040 into any computer and expect it to be as
>fast as a computer designed around the 68040?

Just the '040?  Not likely.  But I don't think anyone talks about just
"dropping" a 68040 chip, alone, into any system and expecting anything to
happen.  The bus signals for 68000/10, 68020/30, and 68040 are about as
different as you can get; there isn't all that much family hardware
resembalence between generations of any processor family.  In the 680x0 family,
the bus interface has been improving considerably about every other generation.

Add-ins are, minimally, a 68040 and a small amount of "glue".  That alone may
not do much, or it may, depending on how much the designers of the system
you're plugging these things into considered about the '040, or about such
coprocessor devices in general.  Now, if you're talking about a small board
with the '040, gluse, and maybe a chunk of '040-specific memory, then you'll
be real close.  Take the accelerator boards for the A2000 for example.  The
A2000 coprocessor slot provided absolutely no support for any 68020->68040 type
evice, just a 68000 interface the basic signals necessary for such an arbitrary
device to share or own the A2000's motherboard bus.  Later on, I came up with
this 68030 thing, the A2630.  Other companies have built even faster 68030
things to go in there.  An A2000 equipped with an A2630 is only a little bit
slower than an A3000, a machine designed around the 68030.  Because the A2000
had this slot, you weren't forced to try to wedge some kind of 68030 board
into a 68000 socket, which is absolutely NOT the way to upgrade the CPU in
your system, though it can of course be done that way.

The A3000 has a new 200 pin coprocessor slot, and we knew something about the
68040 when we came up with this system.  That doesn't mean that you can simply
plug a 68040 into some magic socket on the A3000 motherboard and all of sudden
go real fast.  It does mean that the A3000 was designed to allow accelerator
boards to be added, and has some specific features which makes this easy.  And
even a few features (for example, burst writes to memory and Zorro III
expansion), that aren't used by the 68030.

>Now, can you just drop an 88K processor in a computer that is based on the
>68K and expect it to work at all?

No more than you can drop any arbitrary CPU into any other arbitary system
and expect it to work at all.  But, assuming you had some software for it,
you could build an 88K coprocessor board for the A3000 that works like a
68040 coprocessor board, and if done right, it would be arbitratily close to
a native 88K machine.  Actually, 88K is cheating a little, because it's quite
a bit like the 68040, hardware-wise.

>-Mike

      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

In article <1991May8.064220.13474@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>	At this point, porting the OS to another CPU platform is
>not likely. There are so many things for CBM to do that that
>can't be high on the priority list. I'm afraid what it would do
>to the Zorro II/III standard. (Dave?)

The software overhead, and of course, the lack of object level compatibility,
would be the big problem were the Amiga to move to support of non-680x0 CPUs.

The issue of expansion bus architecture is much less of a problem.  While
Zorro II is very firmly based on the 68000 bus protocol, its existence in
the A3000 is a good indicator that we already know how to treat it in a
"processor independent" fashion.  The interface would be more complex to a
processor that doesn't bus size, such as the 68040 or 88k, but not overly so.

The Zorro III bus doesn't assume any type of microprocessor bus, and is 32 bits
wide, plain and simple.  A bus interface device to hook any kind of
microprocessor up to it is necessary, same as for NuBus, VME, MCA, EISA,
Multibus, etc. though probably less complicated.

elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM (Eric Lee Green) (05/09/91)

From article <y_4G=zw&1@cs.psu.edu>, by melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger):
> Can you just drop a 68040 into any computer and expect it to be as
> fast as a computer designed around the 68040?  Now, can you just drop

Dave Haynie, in earlier postings, mentions that they would have had to go
to 70ns DRAM's to drop a wait state from the memory. The problem was that
at A3000 design time, 70ns DRAM's were considerably pricier than the ones
they ended up using. In other words, the memory system is as fast as it can
go while meeting a certain price point... designing-in a 68040 wouldn't
have made any difference there. (This does imply that to get reasonable
performance in a '040-based Amiga, it'd be wise to have some cache on
board).

If you're talking about the I/O bus, on the other hand, the I/O bus doesn't
run at a constant clock rate. It goes however fast the expansion device can
transfer data over it. Few expansion devices can shove 32-bit data at
25mhz, meaning that the /030/040 decision makes no difference as far as I/O
speed goes.

> an 88K processor in a computer that is based on the 68K and expect it
> to work at all?

The Amiga's Zorro III bus allows co-processors to jump on and off the bus
independent of the main processor. It doesn't matter whether the
co-processor is a 68K or 88K, as long as there's circuitry on-board to
produce Zorro-style signals. It'd be quite easy to, e.g., run Unix on a
Zorro III board packed with CPU and memory, which uses the Amiga for all
its I/O. (Easy except for the space limitations of a Zorro III board... a
Zorro slot is the same size as a ISA slot, meaning daughterboards, etc.
would probably be necessary).

--
Eric Lee Green   (318) 984-1820  P.O. Box 92191  Lafayette, LA 70509
elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM               uunet!mjbtn!raider!elgamy!elg

dltaylor@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dan Taylor) (05/09/91)

In <1991May8.042432.27636@NCoast.ORG> davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:
>	I have never seen ANY commercial program actually "brag" about being
>written in AL (as you stated in an earlier message), and in fact, the only

OOPS!  And I don't mean Object Orient.....

WordPerfect Corp writes it all, or nearly all, in assembly.  However,
this is not a bad thing for portablilty, since the X86, 680X0, 88K,
and other processors are already supported, as well as multiple OS
environments.  Whatever you think of their products, they do write in
assembly, they have highlighted this in their ads, and they do support
multiple platforms.  (personally, I think it's silly)

Dan Taylor
/* My own opinions, not NCR's. */

In article <949@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM> dltaylor@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dan Taylor) writes:
>In <1991May8.042432.27636@NCoast.ORG> davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:
>>	I have never seen ANY commercial program actually "brag" about being
>>written in AL (as you stated in an earlier message), and in fact, the only
>
>OOPS!  And I don't mean Object Orient.....
>
>WordPerfect Corp writes it all, or nearly all, in assembly.  However,
>this is not a bad thing for portablilty, since the X86, 680X0, 88K,
>and other processors are already supported, as well as multiple OS
>environments.  Whatever you think of their products, they do write in
>assembly, they have highlighted this in their ads, and they do support
>multiple platforms.  (personally, I think it's silly)
>
>Dan Taylor
>/* My own opinions, not NCR's. */

	I also noticed that the ads for DigiPaint 3 brag that it
was written in machine language in order to achieve the
"incredible" speeds it has. I'll leave opinions of the term
incredible up to the reader.
	-- Ethan

"Brain! Brain! What is Brain?"

aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sri-Man) (05/10/91)

In article <y_4G=zw&1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>Can you just drop a 68040 into any computer and expect it to be as
>fast as a computer designed around the 68040?  Now, can you just drop
>an 88K processor in a computer that is based on the 68K and expect it
>to work at all?

You don't need to be a Daye Haynie to answer this question. :-)

Of course not!  If you stick a 040 on the first Mac it isn't going to be
that great of a boost.  You might as well just add a math coprocessor or
something.

If you are trying to say that the Amiga3000 was not designed for a 040 in mind.
I think most of the people on here will tell you wrong.  Correct me if I am
wrong, but the Amiga3000 was built with the 040 in mind.  Why do you think the
accelerator cards with 040's in them are so cheap???

	Sri

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May8.042432.27636@NCoast.ORG> davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:
>In article <#c4G!au$1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>>Of course it will be some work for NeXT.  However, for the software
>>developers it will be easy, so 99.99% of the current software will run
>>within days on the 88K machines.  While your finally hand-coded
>>assembly code on the Amiga will take quite a bit of effort.
>	I think you are overestimating the number of programs that were
>written in AL on the Amiga. I would not be too afraid to make a bet that
>only games and *maybe* less than 5 commercial packages (not big name ones
>at that) were written in AL at all, and that where they were, it was in well
>placed low-level functions such as time critical loops, which would be easy
>to replace with HL code immediately if the new machine was fast enough that
>AL was no longer needed, or fairly simply coded over in the new machines
>AL.
>	I have never seen ANY commercial program actually "brag" about being
>written in AL (as you stated in an earlier message), and in fact, the only
>people I have ever seen admit to writing anything other than a small utility
>(which people could live without) in AL were die-hard demo and game coders
>from Europe, who would probably not migrate to the new machine right away
>anyway.
>	I know that 100% of what I write is in C or another HL that I could
>reasonably expect to be available for the new machine, and I would expect to
>be able to simply recompile my own software in a matter of minutes on the
>new machine, just as you say people will do with the nExt.
>	Do you really think that serious programs like WorkPerfect, Maple,
>etc. etc. which are available on many different platforms are written in
>some form of AL?

I'd bet the farm that ALL of Newtek's software (toaster, digipaint, digiview)
are done in 100% assembly (and it shows :)  There are many others that claim
significant portions written in assembly for *speed*.

Again, I say that if it's worth switching to a better processor than the 040
(25MHz today, 100MHz in a couple of years :), it will be fast enough to run
a 68000 emulator!

>				Dave

* I want games that look like Shadow of the Beast  *
* but play like Leisure Suit Larry.                *

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (05/10/91)

In article <12146@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sri-Man) writes:

   >Can you just drop a 68040 into any computer and expect it to be as
   >fast as a computer designed around the 68040?  Now, can you just drop
   >an 88K processor in a computer that is based on the 68K and expect it
   >to work at all?

   You don't need to be a Daye Haynie to answer this question. :-)

   Of course not!  If you stick a 040 on the first Mac it isn't going to be
   that great of a boost.  You might as well just add a math coprocessor or
   something.

   If you are trying to say that the Amiga3000 was not designed for a 040 in mind.
   I think most of the people on here will tell you wrong.  Correct me if I am
   wrong, but the Amiga3000 was built with the 040 in mind.  Why do you think the
   accelerator cards with 040's in them are so cheap???

Ok, the A3000 was designed to handle the 040, but what about the 88K
or 050?  Amigoids keep shouting that the NeXTstation is not
expandable, and that you can even put an 030 in the A500(32 bit bus --
I doubt it).  In other words, they are saying that buying a
nonexpandable machine is a waste of money.  I claim that in 3 years(or
2) the system board will have to be redesigned for the new chips
anyway, so making it expandable isn't going to really save you
anything because it will cost more to build the expandable computer.
If you want an expandable NeXT, buy the Cube which costs $2000(maybe
more?) more than the NeXTstation.  However, I think it's better to
sell your old computer and buy the new one if you want the newer
machine.  What if the expandable Cube needs to be redesigned??  If you
don't buy NeXT Dimension or some other board, you just wasted $2000.

-Mike

BTW, there are ports on the back of the NeXT to add modems, HD, etc.

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (05/11/91)

In article <y_4G=zw&1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>Can you just drop a 68040 into any computer and expect it to be as
>fast as a computer designed around the 68040?

  No one here expects an Amiga 3000 with a 68040 to be as fast as a computer
designed around the 68040. Everyone ecpects it to be FASTER. That is not just
because of the efficient coding or the better operating system, but also
because of the custom chips and the possibility of a dual processor.

  And who says the A3000 wasn't designed around the 68040? There are more
hardware companies developing for Amiga, and don't be surprised if GVP comes
out with a faster 68040 before the nExt does.

>-mIKE

  One follow-up question...

  Does the 68040 have a math coprocessor? I remember hearing that there were
problems with the coprocessor and it was removed. I assume that a 68882 would
be slower than a 68040, but could two math processors also be used together?

--
           David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN
   "If you think that we're here for the money, we could live without it.

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.211958.25387@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

     Does the 68040 have a math coprocessor? I remember hearing that there were
   problems with the coprocessor and it was removed. I assume that a 68882 would
   be slower than a 68040, but could two math processors also be used together?

The math coprocessor is built into the 68040.  Moto. claims that for
most things it is 5-10 times faster than the 68882.

-Mike

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (05/11/91)

In article <pq5Hex_@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>In article <1991May10.211958.25387@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
>
>     Does the 68040 have a math coprocessor? I remember hearing that there were
>   problems with the coprocessor and it was removed. I assume that a 68882 would
>   be slower than a 68040, but could two math processors also be used together?
>
>The math coprocessor is built into the 68040.  Moto. claims that for
>most things it is 5-10 times faster than the 68882.

Well, the 040 is missing the trancendental functions that the 882 had.
These, of course, could be emulated with traps.

I've heard that it was anywhere from 2X to 10X faster than the 882.
I'd tend to believe more of the lower speeds under normal use.  Maybe
if you used the "one function that was super-optimised over the 882"
you'd get 10X the speed.  I'd be willing to bet that under normal use
you get a 3 to 4 times speedup.  That is, of course, when using the
I and D caches.

I have, of course, done no benchmarking of the FPU functions of the
040.  This is pure speculation on my part, but hey, I'm allowed that
once in a while. ;-)

Greg
--

In article <48815@ut-emx.uucp> greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) writes:

   >The math coprocessor is built into the 68040.  Moto. claims that for
   >most things it is 5-10 times faster than the 68882.

   Well, the 040 is missing the trancendental functions that the 882 had.
   These, of course, could be emulated with traps.

The reason that I said most things...

   I've heard that it was anywhere from 2X to 10X faster than the 882.
   I'd tend to believe more of the lower speeds under normal use.  Maybe
   if you used the "one function that was super-optimised over the 882"
   you'd get 10X the speed.  I'd be willing to bet that under normal use
   you get a 3 to 4 times speedup.  That is, of course, when using the
   I and D caches.

The topology demo runs almost 3 times faster on the 040 NeXT.  The
Mandelbrot demo is probably more than 3 times faster(don't have an 030
NeXT anymore to find out).

-Mike

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May8.042432.27636@NCoast.ORG> davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:
>In article <#c4G!au$1@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>>Of course it will be some work for NeXT.  However, for the software
>>developers it will be easy, so 99.99% of the current software will run
>>within days on the 88K machines.  While your finally hand-coded
>>assembly code on the Amiga will take quite a bit of effort.
>	I think you are overestimating the number of programs that were
>written in AL on the Amiga. I would not be too afraid to make a bet that
>only games and *maybe* less than 5 commercial packages (not big name ones

>	I have never seen ANY commercial program actually "brag" about being

  He must be referring to Digi Paint, which has advertised 100% AL as a way
to increase speed in a HAM paint program. Otherwise, you are completely
correct in that the only other assembly programs are dinky public domain
2k programs, which I have the GREATEST respect for. Oh, I think some of
the archive programs are gradually moving to AL to optimize speed. But
then again, these are always available in C also.

>written in AL (as you stated in an earlier message), and in fact, the only
>people I have ever seen admit to writing anything other than a small utility
>(which people could live without) in AL were die-hard demo and game coders
>from Europe, who would probably not migrate to the new machine right away
>anyway.
>	I know that 100% of what I write is in C or another HL that I could
>reasonably expect to be available for the new machine, and I would expect to
>be able to simply recompile my own software in a matter of minutes on the
>new machine, just as you say people will do with the nExt.
 						      ^^^^
     I didn't do this one! :)

>	Do you really think that serious programs like WorkPerfect, Maple,
>etc. etc. which are available on many different platforms are written in
>some form of AL?
>

>				Dave

  Okay, let's start porting over a nExt emulator so we can have our Amiga
crush one more machine. :)   (Smiley face, because I know that the Amiga
uses a 68000 and not a 6502).

--

In article <1991May12.192752.29049@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

>  Okay, let's start porting over a nExt emulator so we can have our Amiga
>crush one more machine. :)   (Smiley face, because I know that the Amiga
>uses a 68000 and not a 6502).

  Darn, I did it again. I made it sound as though the nEXT uses a 6502.
To clear it up for good, mIKE of nExt fame accused me of thinking that the
Amiga uses a 6502 (which was a joke the first time around). And since I
know I will get uneccesary flames for this, I may as well fix it now (since
guys like mIKE have a tendency to say 'well that gives me a reason not
to read the rest of your rebuttal'.

  What I meant in the about bracketed comment was that I put a smiley
face there because I didn't put a smiley face when I made the 6502 joke.

  Everybody knows the nExt uses an 6510.

  (Yes, it is another trap for the humor impaired).

--

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May12.202348.29623@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

     Everybody knows the nExt uses an 6510.

Good, then my old Commodore 64 assembly skills won't go to waste.  Is
there a free(with source) C64 emulator for the Amiga.  Time to get
some games for the NeXT :-).

-Mike

mike@maths.tcd.ie (MIKE ROGERS) (05/14/91)

In article <pq5Hex_@cs.psu.edu>, melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) wrote:
>The math coprocessor is built into the 68040.  Moto. claims that for
>most things it is 5-10 times faster than the 68882.

	But no transcendentals, right? Also, I think that trig is now software.
And aren't there errors (still?) in the initial 68040s?

--
Mike Rogers,Box 6,Regent Hse,## We're dying from the moment we're conceived,
TCD,EIRE. <mike@maths.tcd.ie>##	Time wins, always.

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.133421.23410@maths.tcd.ie> mike@maths.tcd.ie (MIKE ROGERS) writes:

	   But no transcendentals, right? Also, I think that trig is now software.
   And aren't there errors (still?) in the initial 68040s?

The transcendentals are done in software.  Moto. claims that there is
still a speed up over the 68882, but I haven't tried doing anything
with them myself so I don't know.  I think the libraries on the NeXT
are really screwed so transcendental performance is not great.

I don't know anything about the "bugs" in the 68040, except that I did
read in comp.arch that they were in the FPU.

-Mike

In article <mykes.2456@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG> mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) writes:
> I'd bet the farm that ALL of Newtek's software (toaster, digipaint, digiview)
> are done in 100% assembly (and it shows :)

Sure does. I can't run DigiPaint on my Amiga 3000.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (05/19/91)

In article <1991May15.112823.22229@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <mykes.2456@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG> mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) writes:
>> I'd bet the farm that ALL of Newtek's software (toaster, digipaint, digiview)
>> are done in 100% assembly (and it shows :)
>
>Sure does. I can't run DigiPaint on my Amiga 3000.

I can't run a lot of 'C' applications I bought on my A2500 either, what does that
prove?

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (05/19/91)

In article <mykes.2708@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG> mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) writes:

   I can't run a lot of 'C' applications I bought on my A2500 either, what does that
   prove?

Good question.  Could you tell us more?  Could be copy protection, or
programmers doing low-level crap.  Are we talking apps or games?  I'm
not a taking shot here.  Game makers just play with the hardware a
little more to get extra performance.

-Mike

Mike "Assembly forever" Schwartz wrote:
> I'd bet the farm that ALL of Newtek's software (toaster, digipaint, digiview)
> are done in 100% assembly (and it shows :)

I point out the trout in the milk:
> Sure does. I can't run DigiPaint on my Amiga 3000.

So, Mike responds:
> I can't run a lot of 'C' applications I bought on my A2500 either, what does
> that prove?

Doesn't prove anything, but it's persuasive circumstantial evidence.

It's possible to write bad software in any language.

It's just easier in some.

It's easier to screw up in assembly than C, in C than a B&D language like
Pascal, in Pascal than C++, in C++ than SmallTalk, in SmallTalk than really
high level database/dataflow languages like the UNIX shell, and so on...

ALWAYS use the highest level language available that can get the job done.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May19.123429.19440@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>ALWAYS use the highest level language available that can get the job done.
>--
>Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
><peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

Ahem!  Wouden't it be more correct to say:

	"ALWAYS use the highest language available that can get the job done
	efficently"

I remember a certain co-worker that used a high level language/compiler
when writing a paper eject program (all it did was send a form feed to the
printer).  The executable file was 150K!

I then re-wrote it in C, and made it a whole lot more functional/flexable.
My executable was less than 10K.

Now, both programs did the job.  However, the lower level language did it
better...

--
David Kessner - david@kessner.denver.co.us            |
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) | Reunite PANGEA!

I said:

In article <1991May19.195257.3375@kessner.denver.co.us> david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) writes:
> Ahem!  Wouden't it be more correct to say:

> 	"ALWAYS use the highest language available that can get the job done
> 	efficently"

No. Efficiency may be part of getting the job done.

> I remember a certain co-worker that used a high level language/compiler
> when writing a paper eject program (all it did was send a form feed to the
> printer).  The executable file was 150K!

Sounds like he didn't use the highest level language available. What was the
platform? Unless it was a Macintosh the highest level language available was
the shell/CLI/COMMAND.COM/DCL/JCL/whatever you call the command/batch file
interpreter. And that's what he should have used.

If it was a Mac, I guess you could have done something in Hypercard.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

trout@ucrmath.ucr.edu (michael griffith) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May19.123429.19440@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>It's easier to screw up in assembly than C, in C than a B&D language like
>Pascal, in Pascal than C++, in C++ than SmallTalk, in SmallTalk than really
>high level database/dataflow languages like the UNIX shell, and so on...
>
>ALWAYS use the highest level language available that can get the job done.

This theory only holds if you are a screw-up.  Assembly is much faster
and smaller than anything a complier or interpreter could ever write.
HLLs, on the other hand, provide abstraction, ease of programming, and
portablility.  There really is a decision that needs to be made before
you start any project.  That decision is a choice of a language.  Don't
be lulled into thinking that a language is an automatic one -- it isn't.

ALWAYS use the language that is right for the job.

						Michael A. Griffith
						trout@ucrmath.ucr.edu

"My computer is better than your computer."  -- Amiga and NeXT junkies.

In article <14750@ucrmath.ucr.edu> trout@ucrmath.ucr.edu (michael griffith) writes:
> This theory only holds if you are a screw-up.

We're all screw-ups. We're only human. Just look at any code on the net and
pick it apart looking for bugs, design flaws, and so on. Even such people as
Henry Spencer and Larry Wall make mistakes.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

In article <14750@ucrmath.ucr.edu> trout@ucrmath.ucr.edu (michael griffith) writes:
>In article <1991May19.123429.19440@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>>It's easier to screw up in assembly than C, in C than a B&D language like
>>Pascal, in Pascal than C++, in C++ than SmallTalk, in SmallTalk than really
>>high level database/dataflow languages like the UNIX shell, and so on...

>>ALWAYS use the highest level language available that can get the job done.

>This theory only holds if you are a screw-up.  Assembly is much faster
>and smaller than anything a complier or interpreter could ever write.

That's not really true anymore.  Certainly, for popular 70's CPUs, like the
6502 and Z-80, you needed assembly just to fit your code into the available
64K of so of memory.  When we all graduated to better systems, like 68000s
or even 80x86s, compiler could do a heck of alot better than on these older
systems.  Some 680x0 compilers can approach the quality of hand assembled
code in many cases; they approach the problem differently, and don't get as
creative as a good assembly hacker, but they can have absolute knowledge of
which opcodes go faster where.  Moving on to RISC processors, C compilers can
generally do as well, or better, than hand assembly, since they can keep track
of all kinds of pipelining details that would drive most programmers mad.  If
you get any stranger, like the MISC machine or some RISCs with multiple
parallel execution units, an assembly programmer may not stand a chance.

All of which is a moot point.  The programming problems are growing much faster
than anyone's available time.  HLLs, where appropriate, will produce safer and
more maintainable code.  Going to higher levels of abstration, like from C to
C++, you increase the kinds of checking the compiler does for you, cut down on
programmer time, and drastically increase the code's maintainability.

>ALWAYS use the language that is right for the job.

That's true.  At least on Amigas and other 680x0 machines, an HLL isn't always
the right choice.  And no single language solves every problem perfectly.  I
have used about 20-30 different languages since I started mucking around with
computers in the 70s...
      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.