[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Amiga portable

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli +1 201 408 5389) (05/29/91)

[ Followup-To has been set to comp.sys.amiga.advocacy where IMHO
this discussion belongs. ]

I hate to say it, but who would really PURCHASE an Amiga Portable?

The price would be more than an Amiga 500, so forget that market.
That market wouldn't want to play games on an LCD display anyway.

The price would be more than an Amiga 2000, so maybe that market would
have a chance, but at that price the person could buy an Amiga 2500 or
3000.  80% of those sales are in video or graphics production.  Who
would want to do either of those on an LCD?

What are portables good for?  So far, they are good for
meat-and-potato applications (word processing mostly) and off-site
data-entry (sales people et al) which are best done on cheap portable
PC clones.  If your main application is on the Amiga, there is no
reason that you can't do data entry or text processing (initial text
entry) on a cheap portable PC clone and upload it to the Amiga for
processing, formatting, printing, etc.

Just MHO,
Tom
--
Tom Limoncelli  tlimonce@drew.edu  tlimonce@drew.bitnet  201-408-5389
                 "People in tight pants, moving fast."

In article <May.28.22.09.28.1991.11485@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli +1 201 408 5389) writes:
>[ Followup-To has been set to comp.sys.amiga.advocacy where IMHO
>this discussion belongs. ]
>
>I hate to say it, but who would really PURCHASE an Amiga Portable?

	Someone who wanted a Mac clone.

Now the world has gone to bed,		Now I lay me down to sleep,
Darkness won't engulf my head,		Try to count electric sheep,
I can see by infrared,			Sweet dream wishes you can keep,
How I hate the night.			How I hate the night.   -- Marvin

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) (05/29/91)

In article <May.28.22.09.28.1991.11485@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli +1 201 408 5389) writes:
>[ Followup-To has been set to comp.sys.amiga.advocacy where IMHO
>this discussion belongs. ]
>
>I hate to say it, but who would really PURCHASE an Amiga Portable?
>
>The price would be more than an Amiga 500, so forget that market.
>That market wouldn't want to play games on an LCD display anyway.

Well, depending on the economy, I would suggest that cable companies and
high schools that do remote broadcasts and need a genlocking system that
will run off of a couple batteries(those SONY batteries from the VO6800(?)
would probably be ideal since anyone using porta-packs in 3/4 inch format
probably allready has a dozen or so of those batteries and the chargers will
charge 4 batteries unsupervised in one session). Hook up one of those SONY
monitors that operates on a 12 volt battery and you are in business.

Set it up like the 6800 as well, have it hold two batteries, and when one is
allmost drained, an LED above the drained battery goes on. Pull it out and
it will switch to the other battery automagically. Then replace with a fresh
one.

This sounds really good for a one camera shoot at an Basketball game. Have two
people, one to run C/G and VTR, and let the other to play with the camera.
Around here, Comcast Cable is famous for one camera coverage of Basketball,
Football, and Baseball games, and never showing the score or any character
generation.

>Tom Limoncelli  tlimonce@drew.edu  tlimonce@drew.bitnet  201-408-5389

--
Ronald Kushner                          Life In Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (05/29/91)

>>I hate to say it, but who would really PURCHASE an Amiga Portable?
>>
>	Someone who wanted a Mac clone.

Too late :-).  The Atari laptop.  Still, another wouldn't hurt...

cheers - kev <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) (05/30/91)

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli +1 201 408 5389) writes:
>[ Followup-To has been set to comp.sys.amiga.advocacy where IMHO
>this discussion belongs. ]
>
>I hate to say it, but who would really PURCHASE an Amiga Portable?

*I* would buy a portable.  why?  simple.  I use an IBM at work, I am a
programmer.  I don't LIKE the IBM.  my company won't buy me an Amiga.  I DON"T
want to buy an Amiga for the Office only.  I DO want an amiga i could bring
into work, work on things on the Amiga, xfer them to the PC when i'm done, not
only that, but i can work on my own programs during lunch break, etc.. (i have
quite a bit of free time).  of all the people i know who own amiga's, i know
of 6 others that would also purchase portables.  their reasons are different,
some are that they travel quite a bit, and like the flexibility offered by
Amiga programs and the ability to mix-n-match programs to get an optimum
environment, and don't want to have to learn IBM packages.  some are because
they move their computer around alot, and a system designed to be portable
would just plain be more convenient.  I have a 2500 and certainly CAN'T move
this around all the time, the situation will get worse when the 3000T comes
out, that is even LESS moveable.  I want the power of the Amiga in something i
can take with me, wheather it's to the office, or on a trip.  even an amiga
with a handle and a small monitor would be better than lugging a 500 around. I
*DO* see a market for one.  granted it is (currently) LESS than the 500
market, but possible more than the 2500 market.

>The price would be more than an Amiga 500, so forget that market.
>That market wouldn't want to play games on an LCD display anyway.
>
>The price would be more than an Amiga 2000, so maybe that market would
>have a chance, but at that price the person could buy an Amiga 2500 or
>3000.  80% of those sales are in video or graphics production.  Who
>would want to do either of those on an LCD?
>
>What are portables good for?  So far, they are good for
>meat-and-potato applications (word processing mostly) and off-site
>data-entry (sales people et al) which are best done on cheap portable
>PC clones.  If your main application is on the Amiga, there is no
>reason that you can't do data entry or text processing (initial text
>entry) on a cheap portable PC clone and upload it to the Amiga for
>processing, formatting, printing, etc.
>
>Just MHO,
>Tom
>--
>Tom Limoncelli  tlimonce@drew.edu  tlimonce@drew.bitnet  201-408-5389
>                 "People in tight pants, moving fast."

.--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {amdahl!tcnet, crash}!orbit!pnet51!chucks | "I know he's come back |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!chucks@nosc.mil        | from the dead, but do  |
| INET: chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org                  | you really think he's  |
|-------------------------------------------------| moved back in?"        |
| Amiga programmer at large, employment options   | Lou Diamond Philips in |
| welcome, inquire within.                        | "The First Power".     |

Ian Matthew Smith <IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu> (05/30/91)

tlimonce@drew.edu (Tom Limoncelli) writes:

> What are portables good for?  So far, they are good for
> meat-and-potato applications (word processing mostly) and off-site
> data-entry (sales people et al) which are best done on cheap portable
> PC clones.  If your main application is on the Amiga, there is no
> reason that you can't do data entry or text processing (initial text
> entry) on a cheap portable PC clone and upload it to the Amiga for
> processing, formatting, printing, etc.

How about replacing all the trouble of dumping an animation to
tape with bringing your Amiga portable into the office and either
using the LCD screen or hokking it to the (Projection)TV there.
How about weddings, ect... The guy doing it could bring his Amiga
and do titles and credits on the spot, let the customers have
more input, ect...  Lots and lots of places for a portable Amiga.
And it would make our user group meetings about 1000x easier
if we had a portable Amiga we could use.  :-)

 -- Ian Smith <<ims103@psuvm.psu.edu>>

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (05/30/91)

In article <May.28.22.09.28.1991.11485@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli +1 201 408 5389) writes:
>I hate to say it, but who would really PURCHASE an Amiga Portable?
>The price would be more than an Amiga 500, so forget that market.
>That market wouldn't want to play games on an LCD display anyway.
>The price would be more than an Amiga 2000, so maybe that market would
>have a chance, but at that price the person could buy an Amiga 2500 or
>3000.  80% of those sales are in video or graphics production.  Who
>would want to do either of those on an LCD?
	So what? Have you ever looked at the price of a PC laptop or
portable? How about the Mac portable! Heck, THAT one cost about $10,000 for
a lot less performance than a desktop Mac for the same price would give you.
People buy a portable TO CARRY AROUND. They don't buy them if they intend to
keep it in one spot all the time. And with the Amiga, you could even use
the interlaced displays, since LCD wouldn't have the flicker problem, so a
700x630 or so display should be possible, which is about as good as most
mono VGA displays.

>PC clones.  If your main application is on the Amiga, there is no
>reason that you can't do data entry or text processing (initial text
>entry) on a cheap portable PC clone and upload it to the Amiga for
>processing, formatting, printing, etc.
	What if you use Amiga word processors? A lot of good a MicroSoft Word
document is going to do you on an Amiga at your home/office. What if you want
to use things that are only available on the Amiga? People are working on
packages developed with AmigaVision, how are they supposed to use/demo that
in the field without an Amiga?

				Dave

jtravis@dworkin.Amber.COM (Jim, Sysop) (05/30/91)

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli +1 201 408 5389) writes:

> [ Followup-To has been set to comp.sys.amiga.advocacy where IMHO
> this discussion belongs. ]

        Agreed - I'm hoping that my post goes NOWHERE else.

> I hate to say it, but who would really PURCHASE an Amiga Portable?

        (That's me in the corner...)

> The price would be more than an Amiga 500, so forget that market.
> That market wouldn't want to play games on an LCD display anyway.

        Uh huh.  That leaves out the IBM marketplace too..move on.

> The price would be more than an Amiga 2000, so maybe that market would
> have a chance, but at that price the person could buy an Amiga 2500 or
> 3000.  80% of those sales are in video or graphics production.  Who
> would want to do either of those on an LCD?

        Can do it in ONE word: PRESENATAIONS.  Ok - you're trying to sell  a
bank or someone else an idea you have.  What are your tools right now -
today?  Slideshow?  Hand-drawn comps?  Maybe a videotape (ahh..but does
businesses or banks all have videotape systems and a monitor?) ... If I had
an Amiga, I'd take SCALA or Amigavision and sell like all hell.  It's not
the FINAL word on the graphic, but if you want to punch someone in the nose
and get their attention, that combo would put nearly ANY laptop to shame.
Imagine ...oh yeah! Imagine!

> What are portables good for?  So far, they are good for
> meat-and-potato applications (word processing mostly) and off-site
> data-entry (sales people et al) which are best done on cheap portable
> PC clones.  If your main application is on the Amiga, there is no
> reason that you can't do data entry or text processing (initial text
> entry) on a cheap portable PC clone and upload it to the Amiga for
> processing, formatting, printing, etc.
>
> Just MHO,
> Tom

        Yeah...but it's not fluent enough for most of us.  I want to RUN the
Amiga apps that I like, and not have to deal with something on some other
platform, just to do a little text editing.  And, if I want to REALLY catch
up on work, why wouldn't I want to import it right into Pagestream as well.
Why would I have to wait to get home to do this?  Besides, don't you WANT to
sit next to some poor slob with a Radio Shack or NEC laptop and torch 'em?
Heck, that's half the fun of owning an Amiga!

        Jim

         ..and now the commercial..

--------///----------------------------------------------------------
       ///   Jim Trascapoulos  *  CSAccess BBS  *  609-584-8774
      ///      *** Usenet: jtravis@dworkin.amber.mccc.Edu ***
\\\  ///  "I was told once that people don't like to think anymore,
 \\\///         so I tried to sell one a Mac.  It worked."
--\XX/---------------------------------------------------------------

"Spread the legs, open breach, erect launcher,
 apply lube, ram home into the breach, fire."
     -Field Artillery manual

rayhann@ee.mu.OZ.AU (Rayhann Chee) (05/31/91)

In article <sNkq32w163w@dworkin.Amber.COM> jtravis@dworkin.Amber.COM (Jim, Sysop) writes:

>        Yeah...but it's not fluent enough for most of us.  I want to RUN the
>Amiga apps that I like, and not have to deal with something on some other
>platform, just to do a little text editing.  And, if I want to REALLY catch
>up on work, why wouldn't I want to import it right into Pagestream as well.
>Why would I have to wait to get home to do this?  Besides, don't you WANT to
>sit next to some poor slob with a Radio Shack or NEC laptop and torch 'em?
>Heck, that's half the fun of owning an Amiga!
>
>        Jim

I agree! That's where half the fun of owning an Amiga is. Beside's it's time
for C= to hit out at the laptop market. I'm getting sick of looking at the ads
for PC type laptops.(In Oz anyway)

The standard disclaimer goes here somewhere about my opinions being mine alone
and no one else's and that most thigs said should be taken with a pinch of salt
or whatever is handy at the moment....
With and Amiga who needs a PC?....          | {Left Blank for no reason at all}
email:		rayhann@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au |

Alex_Topic@resbbs.UUCP (Alex Topic) (06/01/91)

  Wasn't there some German company makeing a Amiga Portable, I think it is
called Gigatron!  Anyways it had a mini-hardrive and I think it was based
around a 68020!
         What they should do is make a Amiga Portable but base it around a
68020, as well as haveing the WB2.0 roms!...     Ohya what about that
mini-hardrive... by ICD.. Novia 20 something!  Have something like that and
you have a color LCD display... Now that would be good. Hmmm maybe add some
features that would make it great for remote Dvideo work..etc
         Oh well just some ideas... l8'er!

 A.t.

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli +1 201 408 5389) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May29.205232.11054@NCoast.ORG> davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:

> In article <May.28.22.09.28.1991.11485@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli +1 201 408 5389) writes:
> >I hate to say it, but who would really PURCHASE an Amiga Portable?
> >The price would be more than an Amiga 500, so forget that market.
> >That market wouldn't want to play games on an LCD display anyway.
> >The price would be more than an Amiga 2000, so maybe that market would
> >have a chance, but at that price the person could buy an Amiga 2500 or
> >3000.  80% of those sales are in video or graphics production.  Who
> >would want to do either of those on an LCD?
> 	So what? Have you ever looked at the price of a PC laptop or
> portable?

Have I?  Yes.  The site that I'm about to leave (new job starts
Monday) has over 2000 PC portables, mostly from Zenith.  I've been
involved in the price and general evaluation on all the yearly
purchasing bids.  I've developed applications for them.

> How about the Mac portable! Heck, THAT one cost about $10,000 for

Mac users are used to paying too much $$$ for too little hardware.  I
was surprized the portable mac was so "inexpensive".  (and yes, I've
used one of those too :-) ).

> 	What if you use Amiga word processors? A lot of good a MicroSoft Word
> document is going to do you on an Amiga at your home/office. What if you want

Sorry, I'm a WordPerfect snob.  I use it (and the files are
compatable) across my Amiga, PC, VAX, and Unix systems. ;-)

Tom
--
Tom Limoncelli   tlimonce@drew.edu  tlimonce@drew.bitnet   201-408-5389
                  "People in tight pants, moving fast."

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (06/02/91)

How about an Amiga in a "mac-classic" style package?  It is much more
portable than the current Amigas are...

* I want games that look like Shadow of the Beast  *
* but play like Leisure Suit Larry.                *

tcapener@watserv1.waterloo.edu (CAPENER TD - ENGLISH ) (06/03/91)

In article <May.28.22.09.28.1991.11485@pilot.njin.net>, wup-To l
 writes:
> I hate to say it, but who would really PURCHASE an Amiga Portable?
>
> Just MHO,
> Tom
> --
> Tom Limoncelli  tlimonce@drew.edu  tlimonce@drew.bitnet  201-408-5389
>                  "People in tight pants, moving fast."

Well, I would use an Amiga Portable--especially if I could hook it up to an
overhead projector LCD display.  As it is, the A3000 (and especially the A2000)
are too unwieldy to cart from place to place to use as an AV aid--which is
really a shame considering that's what they're so good at.

A portable Amiga with an LCD projector could replace a slide projector, a
tape recorder, and in some cases even a VCR.  This would be great for sales
people, teachers, and other instructors.

Just MHO too,
Travis Capener