[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] NeXT/Amiga Multimedia..

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) (05/16/91)

In article <CIMARRON.91May15073323@erewhon.postgres.Berkeley.EDU> cimarron@erewhon.postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Cimarron D. Taylor </>) writes:
>	and there is also this nifty new ``NeXTdimension'' board which
>	features 30 fps JPEG video and a lot of other mondo features which

So the PEG bugs are fixed?  It actually functions now?  What's base
price on a NeXT w/ dimension + genlock + a ton of interactive multimedia,
modeling and titling software?

That's what I thought.

Buy an Amiga, buy a Toaster, get a CDTV and developer's kit,
buy AmigaVision... :-)

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126
Skate UNIX or bleed, boyo...(UNIX is a trademark of Unix Systems Laboratories).

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (05/16/91)

SO they have the toaster for the Amiga 3000 available do they? Last I heard
I had to buy an old technology Amiga 2000 or 2500 to put a Toaster in.

The NeXT box (when it is shipping with JPEG functional which I do not think
is presently the case thanks to C-Cube!) will do something the Amiga will
probably never do. Edit digital video on disk. There are lots of other
things a NeXT will do much more easily than an Amiga, like exist cleanly in
an ethernet university environment.

The counter arguments could go on for both sides forever. Different machines
are more appropriate for different applications, and Amiga is great at NTSC
video in some areas, but there is often a larger picture that the platform
has to fit into.

I find than your comments are a bit obnoxious sounding, come off the soap
box for a while, tell us what your preferred platform does well, help when
help is needed, but don't attack....

In article <1991May16.140513.4946@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:

>The NeXT box (when it is shipping with JPEG functional which I do not think
>is presently the case thanks to C-Cube!) will do something the Amiga will
>probably never do. Edit digital video on disk. There are lots of other
>things a NeXT will do much more easily than an Amiga, like exist cleanly in
>an ethernet university environment.

	I seem to remember being able to do this today, actually.
Requires a digitizer and a program such as ADPro which
manipulates 24 images. JPEG makes the process easier, admittedly,
in that it saves disk-drive room. But there's no reason you can't
do just what you described.

	-- Ethan

The constitution isn't perfect, but
it's better than what we have now.

jsibley@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James Sibley) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May16.140513.4946@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:
>SO they have the toaster for the Amiga 3000 available do they? Last I heard
>I had to buy an old technology Amiga 2000 or 2500 to put a Toaster in.
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^??
  There is nothing "old" in my 2500.  The only thing it doesn't have is
the 32 bit bus and the new graphics chip (which I could get for it..)  It is
just as capable as a 3000 as I'm sure many owners of a 2500 will tell you..

>The NeXT box (when it is shipping with JPEG functional which I do not think
>is presently the case thanks to C-Cube!) will do something the Amiga will
>probably never do. Edit digital video on disk. There are lots of other
>things a NeXT will do much more easily than an Amiga, like exist cleanly in
>an ethernet university environment.

   And how much was that again??  Oh yeah, I forgot, there's that money tree
farm growing in Montana where they just let anyone help themselves.. I've
got to go there someday..

--
      James Sibley                                Nous Sommes Du Soleil
      Seeking the truth about lemon curry.          We Are Of The Sun

mark@masscomp.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (05/17/91)

(Terry Jones) writes:
>The NeXT box (when it is shipping with JPEG functional which I do not think
>is presently the case thanks to C-Cube!) will do something the Amiga will
>probably never do. Edit digital video on disk.

A testament from the grossly shortsighted and uninformed. Your ignorance
is overwhelming. First of all, JPEG is not intended for moving video,
that is the realm of MPEG.  JPEG is being used by a few companies to
implement digital video editing, but image quality is fair at best. Because
JPEG cannot take advantage of image to image coherency, it must sacrifice
image quality to achieve the compression needed for real time video
recording, playback, and editing from disk. MPEG addresses this problem
as that was what it was meant to do. Commodore purportedly is already
talking to MPEG chip manufacturers in an effort to include this technology
in the Amiga's long list of multimedia capabilities. I might add that it
is currently possible to edit and playback digital video from disk on the
Amiga using DCTV. Real time recording is coming soon.

>There are lots of other
>things a NeXT will do much more easily than an Amiga, like exist cleanly in
>an ethernet university environment.

You truly are uninformed. On that note, I'm out of here. These NeXT wars
are disturbingly non-productive and it appears that all you want is a war.
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%      `       '        Mark Thompson                 CONCURRENT COMPUTER  %
% --==* RADIANT *==--   mark@westford.ccur.com        Principal Graphics   %
%      ' Image `        ...!uunet!masscomp!mark       Hardware Architect   %
%     Productions                                     & General Nuisance   %
%                                                                          %

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May16.140513.4946@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:
> SO they have the toaster for the Amiga 3000 available do they? Last I heard
> I had to buy an old technology Amiga 2000 or 2500 to put a Toaster in.

The Toaster is not yet available for the A3000.  However, I don't recall
the Toaster being the point of the entire earlier post.  There are many
products both hardware and software that are available for the entire
Amiga line of computers that allow instant impressive video capability.

> The NeXT box (when it is shipping with JPEG functional which I do not think
> is presently the case thanks to C-Cube!) will do something the Amiga will
> probably never do. Edit digital video on disk. There are lots of other
> things a NeXT will do much more easily than an Amiga, like exist cleanly in
> an ethernet university environment.

What do you base this on?  I think it very likely that JPEG will come
to the Amiga.  I would even be bold enough to say that probably sooner
than later.  I really do not see a specail 'feature' in the NeXT that
makes this type of work more 'do-able'.

As far as existing 'cleanly' in a ethernet environment goes.  I would
be interested in your idea of 'clean'.  Amigas have been able to use
'ethernet' since 1986.  Not exactly nor really exciting technology if
you ask me.

> The counter arguments could go on for both sides forever. Different machines
> are more appropriate for different applications, and Amiga is great at NTSC
> video in some areas, but there is often a larger picture that the platform
> has to fit into.

I agree.  I think there is room for more than one hardware solution to
problems.  I think this was the original reason for the first 'pro-amiga'
post.  You see the PC-noids and the Mac-freaks (there I said it!) and
their publications _always_ ignore better technology _if_ it is not
MS/DOS or Mac compatible.

As with most things what is "best" is often disregarded based on
market-share, which is too bad.

You as a NeXT owner will get to experience this 'frustration' as
well.  :-)

> I find than your comments are a bit obnoxious sounding, come off the soap
> box for a while, tell us what your preferred platform does well, help when
> help is needed, but don't attack....

They were a bit obnoxious, your comments were not much better.  But,
it does point out that even in multimedia the blinders are firmly in
place all around.

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================
 | \/     |   Mark D. Manes   "The Most lopsided deal since ..."
 | /\  \/ |   manes@vger.nsu.edu
 |     /  |   (804) 683-2532    "Make up your own mind! - AMIGA"
 +--------+   ==================================================
 "I protest Captain!  I am not a merry man!" - Lt. Worf

martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May15.193236.4712@menudo.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) writes:
>In article <CIMARRON.91May15073323@erewhon.postgres.Berkeley.EDU> cimarron@erewhon.postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Cimarron D. Taylor </>) writes:
>>	and there is also this nifty new ``NeXTdimension'' board which
>>	features 30 fps JPEG video and a lot of other mondo features which
>
>So the PEG bugs are fixed?  It actually functions now?  What's base
>price on a NeXT w/ dimension + genlock + a ton of interactive multimedia,
>modeling and titling software?

   That sound like the Mac defensive arguments "Sure the toaster is wonderful:
does everything a TV studio does for less than 5000$, but have they fixed their
latest bugs?  Have they passed FCC?  And who owns amigas...  yak yak yak.

   For your information:

   NeXT Station, 100 Meg, 8 Meg ram, BW Monitor, 68040, DSP, softwares (UNIX)
   etc. for 4995$ list.

   NeXT Dimension board, 32 bitplanes, 8 bitplanes alpha channel.  A really
   impressive card.  3995$ list.

   Educationnal discount available and very interesting.

   From: Walter Daugherity, September 18, 1990

   "...The 32-bit color board has a 33 MHz i860 (64-bit RISC) graphics processor
and a JPEG compression coprocessor from C-Cube, which lets you take live
video and compress and store it in real time (up to 60 minutes on the
optional 1.4 gigabyte internal hard disk).  All standard video inputs and
outputs are supported.  At 30,000 polygons per second (Gouraud shading,
triangular, meshed), this "true color" runs as fast as or faster than the
4 gray-level monochrome NeXT's."

   Software: one or two softwares directly aimed at multimedia.  Geesh, a
TON!  Can you list some of your TON of MULTIMEDIA software?

   Genlocks: the NeXTDimension card can be use as a genlock with video (S-VHS)
output, but I don't know yet if you can display live video in a window with
it (digital).

>That's what I thought.

   What did you thought?  That the amiga offer more and cost less?
Well think again.  Amiga is an honest offer, but so is the NeXT.

   On my NeXT I have a large display, a very good interface, display
postscript, Interface Builder, good sound (DSP), good object oriented
languages, multimedia e-mail facilities, fax integration, etc. all standard.
The amiga family doesn't.

   Hear, at home I have a A3000.  Cost me around 6000$ CDN.  Been a developer
since 1986.  I like it and work profesionnaly on it.  But you must open your
eyes and look at what's on the market.  I wouldn't put a NeXT at home (yet),
but neither an Amiga in my buisness office (yet).

   In many labs like here, UNIX, X Windows and ethernet are mandatory.
Screen less than 16" are small and resolution less than 1000x1000 is
unsatisfactory.  When the A3000UX will be shipped with the 68040,
large screen, color, DSP, etc. I wonder how much they will sell their
machine.  Nothing is free, and competition is harsh.  Let me tell you that
NeXT have set one of the most interesting price war in the Workstation
market.

   So, what are your solutions in the 1280x1024x24 RGB display area?  How much
does it cost??   And don't give me any flickering solution.  Video is
going digital anyway.  Oh, and which card do you recommend to compress
video?  Any C-Cube implementation on the horizon?

>Buy an Amiga, buy a Toaster, get a CDTV and developer's kit,
>buy AmigaVision... :-)

   I hope you realize that the toaster really SAVED the Amiga, or do you?
I agree that Commodore Dynamic Total Vision is a smart move, but for
their sake they better MARKET IT before Phillips AND sony goes out with their
systems.

   And what do you think of AmigaVision?  It would be interesting to compare
our experiences with some of our students that used it for the last 12 months...

>J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126

--
    // Daniel Martin                            Universite de Montreal   \\
   //  MediaLab, ca vous regarde!               C.P. 6128, Succursale A,  \\

hackbod@prism.cs.orst.edu (Dave Hackborn) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May18.001444.4743@IRO.UMontreal.CA> martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) writes:

>   NeXT Station, 100 Meg, 8 Meg ram, BW Monitor, 68040, DSP, softwares (UNIX)
>   etc. for 4995$ list.
>
>   NeXT Dimension board, 32 bitplanes, 8 bitplanes alpha channel.  A really
>   impressive card.  3995$ list.

The only problem is that you can't use the NeXT Dimension board with the
NeXT Stations :-)

The NeXT Station doesn't have any slots; you'll need to get a NeXT Cube,
which is about $8000.  As far as I know, the Cube is basically the same
as the Station, except that it has slots.

Yes, the NeXT Station *is* a nice machine, and when I was looking for
a computer to buy, I had a tough time deciding between it and the A3000.
Until I found out that there was no way to upgrade it to color.  I
HATE b&w.  If you want color, the NeXT Station Color is about $8000 and
gives you 1120 x 832 pixel 12 bit (4096 color) display with 12 MB.  Oh,
and you'll need the 340MB drive to do anything serious.

I really like the NeXT computers.  I just wish I could afford one.  :-)

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May18.021039.26428@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> hackbod@prism.cs.orst.edu (Dave Hackborn) writes:

   Yes, the NeXT Station *is* a nice machine, and when I was looking for
   a computer to buy, I had a tough time deciding between it and the A3000.
   Until I found out that there was no way to upgrade it to color.  I
   HATE b&w.  If you want color, the NeXT Station Color is about $8000 and
   gives you 1120 x 832 pixel 12 bit (4096 color) display with 12 MB.  Oh,
   and you'll need the 340MB drive to do anything serious.

How much time did you get to spend with the NeXTstation?  The
monochrome screens(actually 4 shades of gray, 2-bits) looks quite
sharp.  It beats looking at a VGA screen all day.  How much does an
Amiga 3000 go for these days?  I guess we're talking noneductional
prices here, at least we seem to be.

   I really like the NeXT computers.  I just wish I could afford one.  :-)

Well, at least you got the color.  Maybe you and Ted Turner could go
into business together?  Everyone knows how worthless a monochrome
screen is.  If only more of the work that people did didn't require
color, then NeXT would have a nice computer in the NeXTstation.

-Mike

elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM (Eric Lee Green) (05/18/91)

From article <62084@masscomp.westford.ccur.com>, by mark@masscomp.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson):
> In article <1991May16.140513.4946@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca
> (Terry Jones) writes:
>>There are lots of other
>>things a NeXT will do much more easily than an Amiga, like exist cleanly in
>>an ethernet university environment.
>
> You truly are uninformed. On that note, I'm out of here. These NeXT wars
> are disturbingly non-productive and it appears that all you want is a war.

Uninformed indeed, considering that NeXT and Commodore are using the exact
same Berkeley networking code! (That's right, much of Commodore's current
Ethernet TCP/IP package is a fairly straight port, complete all the way
down to the "FTP" and "rlogin" programs). In addition, you can get "X" from
Boing! and REALLY "rlogin" to your remote hosts (i.e., via a graphical
windowing interface, instead of glass tty).

--
Eric Lee Green   (318) 984-1820  P.O. Box 92191  Lafayette, LA 70509
elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM               uunet!mjbtn!raider!elgamy!elg

In article <1991May16.140513.4946@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:

>There are lots of other things a NeXT will do much more easily than an Amiga,
>like exist cleanly in an ethernet university environment.

That's absolute bunk.  My Amiga here has been existing cleanly in an Ethernet
based engineering environment since before NeXT existed, period.

      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) (05/22/91)

In article <21753@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>In article <1991May16.140513.4946@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:
>>There are lots of other things a NeXT will do much more easily than an Amiga,
>>like exist cleanly in an ethernet university environment.
>
>That's absolute bunk.  My Amiga here has been existing cleanly in an Ethernet
>based engineering environment since before NeXT existed, period.
>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"

   Well, it's true that there was an ethernet solution (by Ameristar, now
a Commodore product) before the NeXT went public.

   His statement is true in at least one way:  the NeXT validates the user
and can be "trusted" in a network.  This is not yet the case under AmigaDos.
I can set my uid/gid to anything, and have unrestricted access to the mounted
partitions.  In our network, we 'restricted' our amigas to 'ftp' and 'login'
(pathetic :-().

--

In article <1991May21.233534.10638@IRO.UMontreal.CA> martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) writes:
>    His statement is true in at least one way:  the NeXT validates the user
> and can be "trusted" in a network.

Hah. You need to discuss security on TCP/IP based networks with the folks
at Project Athena.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

neideck@kaputt.enet.dec.com (Burkhard Neidecker-Lutz) (05/27/91)

Can anybody enlighten me what the CDTV (Commodore Digital Total Vision ? What ?)
is ? It seems to be related to providing a cpability for doing digitized video
on the Amiga. What kind of compression scheme is used ? How does it
work ?

			Burkhard Neidecker-Lutz, Digital CEC Karlsruhe
			Project NESTOR

In article <1991May27.123818.20713@pa.dec.com> neideck@kaputt.enet.dec.com (Burkhard Neidecker-Lutz) writes:

>Can anybody enlighten me what the CDTV (Commodore Digital Total Vision ? )
                                              -->  Dynamic
> It seems to be related to providing a cpability for doing digitized video
>on the Amiga.

Uh, yes, too. It simply is an Amiga 500 with 1 MB RAM plus an integrated
CD-ROM drive that also can be used for standard CD audio. Plus you have
little niceties as a MIDI port and an interface for a Personal Memory
Card. So, you can do all sorts of animations or play back digitized video
just like with all other Amigas. The CD-ROM is accessed via an own
filesystem just like a read-only harddisk. But you have absolutely standard
file and directory structure on it, nothing spectacular.

> What kind of compression scheme is used ? How does it
>work ?

It works nice :-). There is NO provided compression in hardware or system
software. The standard software compression schemes like in existing
Amiga animation packages are used.

rick@ameristar (Rick Spanbauer) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May21.233534.10638@IRO.UMontreal.CA> martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) writes:
>   His statement is true in at least one way:  the NeXT validates the user
>and can be "trusted" in a network.  This is not yet the case under AmigaDos.
>I can set my uid/gid to anything, and have unrestricted access to the mounted
>partitions.  In our network, we 'restricted' our amigas to 'ftp' and 'login'
>(pathetic :-().

>    // Daniel Martin                            Universite de Montreal   \\

	On an ordinary Unix machine, eg a Sun, it is possible to pretend,
	using NFS, to be any user one wants to.  This requires about as much
	skill, especially under earlier releases of SunOS, as re-setting
	the uid/gid in Amiga TCP/IP.  It is hard to provide real authentication
	on a machine that does not have a protected memory address space.
	I've heard that the PC implementations of NFS have this same problem,
	even though some use pcnfsd to authenticate a user.  Security that
	is little more than an illusion is perhaps worse at times than no
	security at all.

	As I recall the timeline, we've had NFS running on ethernet on the
	Amiga since roughly 1986.  Since I don't follow the NeXT, you can
	figure out which existed first ;-)

						Rick

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May27.123818.20713@pa.dec.com> neideck@kaputt.enet.dec.com (Burkhard Neidecker-Lutz) writes:

>Can anybody enlighten me what the CDTV (Commodore Digital Total Vision ? What ?)
>is ? It seems to be related to providing a cpability for doing digitized video
>on the Amiga. What kind of compression scheme is used ? How does it
>work ?

 I think you are getting CDTV mixed up with DCTV. CDTV is basically a mix
between an Amiga computer and a CD-ROM player. Commodore is marketting the
CDTV towards the sort of person who would buy a stereo component but is a
little intimidated by a computer. You turn the unit on, pop in a CD and the
thing goes. It is designed to connect to a stereo system for nice sound but
can also use a TV for sound. Out of the box it is set to connect to a TV.
The cost of CD (which include titles like a dictionary, games, gardening
tips, history, geography) is comparable to a software package. For example,
Defender of the Crown on CD is $49 Canadian. Most software in Canada starts
at $49-$65 for a new title.

 DCTV is from Digital Creation (I think) who also make the SuperGen line of
genlocks. DCTV is a small box with two connectors and two RCA jacks.
The first connector plugs to the monitor port and has pass through for the
monitor cable. The second connector goes to the parallel port for the
digitizing software to control the DCTV (much like DigiView). One of the
RCA jacks is an input for a video signal (again similar to DigiView).
The other RCA jack is an output for the 24 bit graphics image (NTSC video).

>			Burkhard Neidecker-Lutz, Digital CEC Karlsruhe
>			Project NESTOR

| Darrell Grainger (darrell@comspec) |Comspec Communications Inc.    |
| Toronto, Ontario, Canada           |Disclaimer: My opinions do not |
|  (416)617-1475     (416)633-5605   |reflect those of my employer.  |
|------------------------------------+-------------------------------|
|      Motorcycle: Honda PC800       |      Computer:Amiga 2000      |

In article <1991May22.015324.11494@IRO.UMontreal.CA> martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) writes:

>> There are more than a few Ethernet cards for the A2000/3000 series. Theyre not
>> that hard to find...

>   More than a few?  Beside the card from Commodore (actually bought from
>Ameristar) which ones are you talking about?

He's probably thinking of either the ASDG card or the GVP/Hyrda card.  Unlike
the Commodore card, these are both DMA rather than CPU driven, so they should
in theory perform a tad better than the Amiga card.  Not that Ethernet is any
kind of load compared to hard disk, but it's non-trivial.

>   Normally, when the amiga has a working prototype of something, Apple
>"discover" it until IBM and Microsoft invent it!  :-)

It does seem to work that way.  IBM and Microsoft seems to somehow have
invented 3.5" floppies, windows, multitasking, hard disks, mice, Multimedia,
etc. at various points after they were in common use elsewhere.

>  I wouldn't use NEVER.  I think an IBM 34010 based graphic card can
>easily do whatever copper-blitter operation I can think of right now on a
>1024x1024 256 colors screen.

The 34010 is a TI graphics processor, nothing to do with IBM.  There are some
34010 boards for the Amiga, more for the PClones.  IBM itself doesn't make a
graphics board that sophisticated, though their XGA does kind of the same thing
a fast 32 bit Amiga with VGA emulation might if wired up to the MCA bus.

>    // Daniel Martin                            Universite de Montreal   \\

	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.