[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Mac Sales Vs Amiga?

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gun Control is a firm grip) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun03.051159.27197@ariel.unm.edu> nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
>I get the idea that C= is waiting for 2.0 and is now concetrating their
>marketing resources on CDTV.  I also get the idea that C= is going to make
>A LOT of money off CDTV.  We were talking to a dealer in Santa Fe the other
>day and she said the schools up there were bugging her to get some CDTV's
>in.

According to 2 dealers in NY, <Leighs and Amaginations> they sold a total of 7
CDTVS... out of the 7 they have received. I dont know how long it took them to
do so but i get the impression they were gone pretty quickly. Is an
Encyclopedia <not almanac, Encyclopedia> available or going to be available?
Just a qucik question.

>And won't the 500 with the ECS and 2.0 support a VGA monior.  A 500 with
>a VGA display for less than eight or nine hundred dollars will be killer.
>People will look at there Mac Classics and turn green.

Actually ICD makes a flicker fixer for the 500 but you gotta take it apart to
connect it and I think that voids the warranty. The only "negative" to this
would mean the inevitable death of the 1084S. I mean that monitor costs ~$300
in most stores while I figure a decent VGA monitor can be had for less. This
has been my main complaint with the pricing of the 500. If you used a cheaper
monitor, you could easily get a 1 meg 500 for less that a classic but not so
with the 1084S.
Wouldnt it make sence for C= to include a flickerfixer thing in the 500
considering the problem with possible warranty invalidations and all?

more ideas...

>                                       NCW

PiRho- Because its Co-Ed  . "tsroes rm `nsti ihst""enlgood rakm si amen ym"//
"Brave Sir Robin ran away. Bravely ran away away."                        //A
Macintoshes should be accelerated at 32ft/sec^2                       \\ //mig
Gun Control means using both hands                                     \X/  A

dingebre@imp.sim.es.com (David Ingebretsen) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.204015.25689@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gun Control is a firm grip) writes:
> In article <1991Jun03.051159.27197@ariel.unm.edu> nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
> >I get the idea that C= is waiting for 2.0 and is now concetrating their
> >marketing resources on CDTV.  I also get the idea that C= is going to make
> >A LOT of money off CDTV.  We were talking to a dealer in Santa Fe the other
> >day and she said the schools up there were bugging her to get some CDTV's
> >in.
>
> According to 2 dealers in NY, <Leighs and Amaginations> they sold a total of 7
> CDTVS... out of the 7 they have received. I dont know how long it took them to
> do so but i get the impression they were gone pretty quickly. Is an
> Encyclopedia <not almanac, Encyclopedia> available or going to be available?
> Just a qucik question.

The June 1991 issue of Amiga World has a long article on CDTV and lists
many titles that are available. I counted 30 that are out. One of them was
the American Heritage Illustrated Enccyclopedic Dictonary. You have to
tell me if this is an "almanac" or "Encyclopedia"

Stuff deleted

> >                                       NCW
>

> PiRho- Because its Co-Ed  . "tsroes rm `nsti ihst""enlgood rakm si amen ym"//
> "Brave Sir Robin ran away. Bravely ran away away."                        //A
> Macintoshes should be accelerated at 32ft/sec^2                       \\ //mig
> Gun Control means using both hands                                     \X/  A

David

David Ingebretsen
Evans and Sutherland Computer Corporation
600 Komas Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
(801) 582-5847 x3758

dingebre@es.com

don@chopin.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.235515.17401@javelin.sim.es.com> dingebre@imp.sim.es.com (David Ingebretsen) writes:
>The June 1991 issue of Amiga World has a long article on CDTV and lists
>many titles that are available. I counted 30 that are out. One of them was
>the American Heritage Illustrated Enccyclopedic Dictonary. You have to
>tell me if this is an "almanac" or "Encyclopedia"

     It's a dictionary.  What's interesting about it is that there's a
pronunciation guide (in text and sound formats...) for every word.  Also,
every word in a word's definition is 'hot'... click on it and you'll be
taken to that word's definition.
	 Since it's 'illustrated', I imagine a lot of entries are accompanied by
pictures, but I didn't find any during my ~10 minutes of playing with it.

--
  Gibberish   May the        Publications Editor, AmigaNetwork
  is spoken   fork() be      Amiga Student On-Campus Consultant, U of D