[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Is DIG Required?

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (06/06/91)

es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:
>
>> If CBM brings out new and really improved video chips, then "poof"
>> go many of the current 3td party gfx card makers.
>
> That's not true, Kevin. It will require the graphics card
> company to write a driver for their specific card/dongle.
>
> [ :-)'s from both of us, btw]

You're assuming DIG software... I was not, for it struck me (an opinion
subject to change, btw) that if CBM created new but backward-compatible
video chips, then investing delays/resources for full DIG isn't vital.

Furthermore, such a situation would allow programmers to continue to
directly diddle graphics memory, which is a main leg upon which the
Amiga claim-of-gfx-speed stands.

DIG without speed is easy.  DIG with speed, especially considering the
tremdously different data layouts of the 3td party cards, isn't.  For
the last coupla years, I've been working on a similar system... and my
hair gets grayer by the day ;-].   best - kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>