[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] 486 clone vs. Amiga 3000

reynaldo@athena.mit.edu (Rey Villarreal) (05/13/91)

Ok I have owned an amiga 500 for three years it is really dear
to my heart . I am now upgrading. When I bought my Amiga 500 I did
so over buying a 286. I did because the Amiga outperformed a 286
graphics wise and speed wise. That was then this is now. SOmeone please
find a way to convince me to buy a 3000. Here are some rough stats as I
see them.

Microprocessor                    Intel486             Motorolla 68030
Clock Speed                         25 Mhz                25Mhz
Memory                               4/32                 2/16 Meg
Hard Drive                          100 Meg              50 Meg
Max Resolution/Colors           1024x768x254            640x480x16
on 14 inch Multisync
no flicker
case                               Tower                 add $1000 for tower
                                                         and descent amount
                                                         of slots(A3000T)
Software Library                  Enormous               Small by comparison
OS                                3 crappy chices          Best on Micro
Competition in Market            Ocean of Barracuda       couple of sharks
driving prices down
Sound                             add $175 board 11 voices   good 4 voices
Price(aka God)                     $2999                    ~3100 educational
Noe Prices include NEC 3D multisync:Note to Amiga 3000 buyers dont
bother with Commodores monitor I hear it is crappy. Sorry Dave but
cant trust company that got rid of 1080(A very nice monitor) for
1084(snap!crackle!pop)

Please somebody explain why I would buy an amiga unless I want to
make presentations to my marketing group(I am an engineer(almost] who cares]

Just by numbers it seems as though the 3000 gets thrashed unless you are
doing video work. But even here the IBM will catch up soon. Windows is
memory and processor hungry but who cares with these prices.
It seems Commodore has some real work to do. I could be wrong
I am a novice. If so don't flame be calm and educate me
The price on the 486 is correct by the way, no flaming on that.

Being a present day Amiga owner I know the flames I am going to get.

Hmmm where is that asbestos suit anyway......

----Rey(toast) Villarreal

In article <1991May12.211848.7252@athena.mit.edu> reynaldo@athena.mit.edu (Rey Villarreal) writes:
>Ok I have owned an amiga 500 for three years it is really dear
>to my heart . I am now upgrading. When I bought my Amiga 500 I did
>so over buying a 286. I did because the Amiga outperformed a 286
>graphics wise and speed wise. That was then this is now. SOmeone please
>find a way to convince me to buy a 3000. Here are some rough stats as I
>see them.
>
>Microprocessor                    Intel486             Motorolla 68030
>Clock Speed                         25 Mhz                25Mhz
>Memory                               4/32                 2/16 Meg

                                                           5/18

>Hard Drive                          100 Meg              50 Meg

                                                         100

>Max Resolution/Colors           1024x768x254            640x480x16

                                                         732

>on 14 inch Multisync
>no flicker
>case                               Tower                 add $1000 for tower
>                                                         and descent amount
>                                                         of slots(A3000T)

	The A3000 comes with FIVE slots, up to 18MB on the
motherboard, built-in SCSI, built-in flicker-fixer and 3 3.5"
drive bays. That should cover most people's needs. If that isn't
good enough you CAN get an A2500 or wait for the A3000T. And
don't assume pricing, the $1K is probably the list price
increase.

>Software Library                  Enormous               Small by comparison

	Not with a bridge board. It all depends on what you need.
Do you want 3-D modeling? Seems to me the reverse it true. Do you
want spreadsheets? You're absolutely right.

>OS                                3 crappy chices          Best on Micro
>Competition in Market            Ocean of Barracuda       couple of sharks
>driving prices down
>Sound                             add $175 board 11 voices   good 4 voices

	Number of voices isn't very important, since if you
digitize sound you only need 1, 2 for stereo. Also, since the
Amiga has built-in sound there is MUCH better support for it.

>Price(aka God)                     $2999                    ~3100 educational
>Noe Prices include NEC 3D multisync:Note to Amiga 3000 buyers dont
>bother with Commodores monitor I hear it is crappy. Sorry Dave but
>cant trust company that got rid of 1080(A very nice monitor) for
>1084(snap!crackle!pop)
>
>Please somebody explain why I would buy an amiga unless I want to
>make presentations to my marketing group(I am an engineer(almost] who cares]
>
>Just by numbers it seems as though the 3000 gets thrashed unless you are
>doing video work. But even here the IBM will catch up soon. Windows is
>memory and processor hungry but who cares with these prices.
>It seems Commodore has some real work to do. I could be wrong
>I am a novice. If so don't flame be calm and educate me
>The price on the 486 is correct by the way, no flaming on that.
>
>Being a present day Amiga owner I know the flames I am going to get.
>
>Hmmm where is that asbestos suit anyway......
>

>----Rey(toast) Villarreal

	Well, that $3,100 pricing isn't accurate for the 5MB
model, which is what I added. That is $3,421, plus about $550 for
the NEC 3D and you've got $1K more than the IBM.
	It all depends on what you want to do with the computer.
If you are hooking up to a network and need X windows and
Ethernet, like an engineer might, then the Amiga is a GREAT
choice. You don't need Unix, you can do it under AmigaDOS.
	As an engineer you might also want Unix, in which case
$4K gets the same Amiga with Unix, plus $489 for the A2024 1Kx800
4 grey scale monitor and you've got $4.5K for a complete Unix
system.
	So, what programs do you want to run? BTW, what make of
486 is that? IBM, Compaq or Taiwan Special?
	-- Ethan

GEORGE BUSH MURDER ASSASSINATE PENTAGON CAPITOL WHITE HOUSE
Greetings to the loyal Americans working at the NSA! Enjoy.

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May12.211848.7252@athena.mit.edu> reynaldo@athena.mit.edu (Rey Villarreal) writes:
>driving prices down
>Sound                             add $175 board 11 voices   good 4 voices

	You have to consider that those 11 voices are entirely CPU
driven (in the sense that the CPU has to push the data for them to play
onto the board across the already slow ISA bus, and on some boards are
not stereo. In any case, in this day and age the "number of voices" is
really moot. Hardly any games these days actually generate the sounds
themselves, but rather use sampled effects and music, which allows you to
in effect have as many voices as you want. But the main thing is still that
PC sound is CPU driven, and requires that the CPU push the sound/voice/
effects/etc. from memory on the motherboard to the sound chips on the card,
and I have YET to see a sound card that contained it's own CPU and could play
COMPLETE MUSIC independant of the main CPU. In fact, I don't even think such
a thing is POSSIBLE on ISA bus machines, since the cards don't have
simultaneous access to motherboard RAM without CPU intervention.

			Dave

dltaylor@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dan Taylor) (05/14/91)

You don't cover the only real issue here.  How much MS-DOS software do
you HAVE to run, and how much do you want to run, versus the AmigaDOS
software?  If you have to run many MS-DOS titles, get the 486 (period).
If you only have an occasional, or no need, to run MS-DOS, get the Amiga,
since you can run MS-DOS stuff on a co-processor.  CGA and 286, unless
you upgrade to a separate VGA, and bump the processor, but it does run.

I had to make the same choice, both times I bought an Amiga.  The first
time was during school.  A professor "wanted" a project turned in on
a PC diskette, under MS-DOS, so he could grade it easier (not required,
but I can take a hint).  I went out and bought an early A1000, and
"Transformer", a software emulator.  It was slow, but I didn't need it
for much, so it worked for me.  Just before the end of the 1990, I
needed a PAL/EPROM/etc programmer.  The most cost-effective ones run
in an XT slot, and the driver software is an MS-DOS application.  So,
I bought an A2500/30, and the XT-compatible bridgeboard.  Again, my
MS-DOS needs are handled, but I'm not stuck with a machine that doesn't
suit me otherwise.

As for UNIX compatiblity, there will be more commercial packages for the
486, for some time, if not always, than the 68K.  The PD spread will even
out quickly, since SysV will be almost identical on the two.  You have
to decide, for yourself, whether the available programs fill your needs
and wants, then buy the computer that runs them.

Dan Taylor

In article <1991May12.235412.1376@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
> >Max Resolution/Colors           1024x768x254            640x480x16
>
>                                                          732
                                                           1464
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM (Eric Lee Green) (05/15/91)

From article <1991May12.211848.7252@athena.mit.edu>, by reynaldo@athena.mit.edu (Rey Villarreal):
> Microprocessor                    Intel486             Motorolla 68030
> Clock Speed                         25 Mhz                25Mhz
> Memory                               4/32                 2/16 Meg
> Hard Drive                          100 Meg              50 Meg
> Max Resolution/Colors           1024x768x254            640x480x16
> on 14 inch Multisync
> no flicker
> case                               Tower                 add $1000 for tower
>                                                          and descent amount
>                                                          of slots(A3000T)
> Software Library                  Enormous               Small by comparison
> OS                                3 crappy chices          Best on Micro
> Competition in Market            Ocean of Barracuda       couple of sharks
> driving prices down
> Sound                             add $175 board 11 voices   good 4 voices
> Price(aka God)                     $2999                    ~3100 educational

Note that with the current Power Up program, you could get the Amiga 3000
for around $2100, then add monitor.

As for which you want to get -- it all depends on what you want to do with
the machine. If you want a fast machine with fast I/O and a fast window
system, you probably want the Amiga. If you want a REALLY fast machine with
SLOW I/O and a slow window system, you probably want the '486 machine.
(Note that any '486 you buy for $2999 is going to have an I/O system that
sucks dead puppy dogs... i.e., the absolute scuzziest and slowest hard
drive controller, hard drive, and video card that you can buy). If you're
doing CPU-intensive stuff that doesn't do a whole lot of I/O, the '486
machine is perfect. (At least, if you run Unix or some other 32-bit OS :-).

If you want a '486 machine with a fast I/O bus (EISA or Microchannel), plan
to pay out the nose. If you can deal with the slow AT bus (16 bit, 8mhz),
you'll still pay some for a good fast SCSI controller and VGA card. Note
that the $50 VGA cards quoted in most ads have about 40 wait states for
each access :-}.

--
Eric Lee Green   (318) 984-1820  P.O. Box 92191  Lafayette, LA 70509
elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM               uunet!mjbtn!raider!elgamy!elg

6600dmx@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Richard A. Boyd) (05/16/91)

Where can you get a 486 for $3000?  All the prices I
have seen start at $3600 (and that is for a bare
bones model - small capacity HD, VGA, no math
co,etc).

asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) (05/17/91)

In article <00674274081@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM> elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM (Eric Lee Green) writes:
}From article <1991May12.211848.7252@athena.mit.edu>, by reynaldo@athena.mit.edu (Rey Villarreal):
}> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
}> Price(aka God)                     $2999                    ~3100 educational
Must be a pretty shitty 486.  What kinda memory - and what access time
for that?
(there's gotta be something amiss)
}
}Note that with the current Power Up program, you could get the Amiga 3000
}for around $2100, then add monitor.

Are you saying that you can use the Power Up deal with an edu discount?
If anyone out there knows the verity of this PLEASE respond ASAP. I
would also appreciate a number I could call to verify it at commodore. I
am in the markey for an A3000, and if the Power up deal and edu discount can
both be used now, I will buy it now.
}
}As for which you want to get -- it all depends on what you want to do with
}the machine. If you want a fast machine with fast I/O and a fast window
}system, you probably want the Amiga. If you want a REALLY fast machine with
}SLOW I/O and a slow window system, you probably want the '486 machine.
}(Note that any '486 you buy for $2999 is going to have an I/O system that
}sucks dead puppy dogs... i.e., the absolute scuzziest and slowest hard
}drive controller, hard drive, and video card that you can buy). If you're
}doing CPU-intensive stuff that doesn't do a whole lot of I/O, the '486
}machine is perfect. (At least, if you run Unix or some other 32-bit OS :-).
No, not quite. UNIX is very disk-intensive, and the slow disk I/O
will severly punish the performance of the system if it is running
UNIX. So I would not say it is ideal for running UNIX at all.
}
}If you want a '486 machine with a fast I/O bus (EISA or Microchannel), plan
}to pay out the nose. If you can deal with the slow AT bus (16 bit, 8mhz),
}you'll still pay some for a good fast SCSI controller and VGA card. Note
}that the $50 VGA cards quoted in most ads have about 40 wait states for
}each access :-}.
Better idea would probably be to buy a 386 or 286 with MCA or EISA, and then
buy a 486 board.
}
}--
}Eric Lee Green   (318) 984-1820  P.O. Box 92191  Lafayette, LA 70509
}elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM               uunet!mjbtn!raider!elgamy!elg
} Looking for a job... tips, leads appreciated... inquire within...
Seriously though. If ANYONE ANYONE ANYONE knows about the possibility
of using an edu discount and power up at the same time please reply.
thanx
			Bruce
p.s. Even if you cannot use edu and poweer up, i would still appreciate
any phone numbers anyone might have that i could call to find out
about an A3000T. Thanx

---------
                                   ###             ##
Courtesy of Bruce Varney           ###               #
aka -> The Grand Master                               #
asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu             ###    #####       #
PUCC                               ###                #
;-)                                 #                #
;'>                                #               ##

dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (05/17/91)

In article <00674274081@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM>, Eric Lee Green writes:

> From article <1991May12.211848.7252@athena.mit.edu>, by reynaldo@athena.mit.edu (Rey Villarreal):
> > Microprocessor                    Intel486             Motorolla 68030
> > Clock Speed                         25 Mhz                25Mhz
> > Memory                               4/32                 2/16 Meg
> > Hard Drive                          100 Meg              50 Meg
> > Max Resolution/Colors           1024x768x254            640x480x16

etc. etc.

> If you want a '486 machine with a fast I/O bus (EISA or Microchannel), plan
> to pay out the nose. If you can deal with the slow AT bus (16 bit, 8mhz),
> you'll still pay some for a good fast SCSI controller and VGA card. Note
> that the $50 VGA cards quoted in most ads have about 40 wait states for
> each access :-}.

I had the opportunity to play on a 486 box, that had a graphics tablet and
Autocad, with a 19 inch monitor. It was pretty cool.

Nortons SI reported 38x XT speeds.  My A2500 with 68030 (30Mhz) does 36x XT
speeds.  And of course Motorola chips aren't braindeaded by having 640K chunks
of memory.

Long live linear address spaces.

[I'd really like one of those 19" monitors tho]

Dac
--
  // _l _  _ > dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au       < munnari!labtam!eyrie!prolix!dac
\X/ (_](_](_ > prolix!dac%eyrie@labtam.oz.au < dac@prolix.ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au
David Andrew Clayton. Canberra, Australia.      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) (05/18/91)

6600dmx@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Richard A. Boyd) writes:

>Where can you get a 486 for $3000?  All the prices I
>have seen start at $3600 (and that is for a bare
>bones model - small capacity HD, VGA, no math
>co,etc).

<snicker, snicker> dude.. a 486 has a math co built in..

.--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {amdahl!tcnet, crash}!orbit!pnet51!chucks | "I know he's come back |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!chucks@nosc.mil        | from the dead, but do  |
| INET: chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org                  | you really think he's  |
|-------------------------------------------------| moved back in?"        |
| Amiga programmer at large, employment options   | Lou Diamond Philips in |
| welcome, inquire within.                        | "The First Power".     |

judge@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (rory toma) (05/19/91)

> > > Microprocessor                    Intel486             Motorolla 68030
> > > Clock Speed                         25 Mhz                25Mhz
> > > Memory                               4/32                 2/16 Meg
> > > Hard Drive                          100 Meg              50 Meg
> > > Max Resolution/Colors           1024x768x254            640x480x16
>
> etc. etc.
Also, point out that you have addeda VGA card, etc... You know, the Amiga
supports higher resolution, morecolors, etc.

rory

jerry@polygen.uucp (Jerry Shekhel) (05/20/91)

dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au writes:

>Nortons SI reported 38x XT speeds.  My A2500 with 68030 (30Mhz) does 36x XT
>speeds.  And of course Motorola chips aren't braindeaded by having 640K chunks
>of memory.

Norton's SI is a notoriously awful benchmark, fooled by many different things.
Intel chips, starting with the 386 have flat address spaces.  It is MS-DOS
that is braindead, not the microprocessor.  Please get informed before you
flame.

--
+-------------------+----------------------+---------------------------------+
| JERRY J. SHEKHEL  | POLYGEN CORPORATION  | When I was young, I had to walk |

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (05/23/91)

In article <11260@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600dmx@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Richard A. Boyd) writes:

>Where can you get a 486 for $3000?  All the prices I
>have seen start at $3600 (and that is for a bare
>bones model - small capacity HD, VGA, no math
                                       ^^^^^^^
>co,etc).
 ^^

No math co?  The 486 has a math co built in.  Since it is integrated on
the chip, the bus path for the CPU to FPU is much smaller, therefore it
can be faster.

+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 | FAX (617)890-8694         | bill@polygen.com            |
+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (05/25/91)

[]
Around here a 33 Mhz 80486, with 1 floppy a 40Mb HD, 1 Mb of RAM, and
a VGA monitor costs $2475.00.  This is an AMI motherboard with 64k cache.
There are cheaper systems available.
The above system is available from MICRO DEX, in the san diego area.
(619)467-9305.  It is an ISA system.

ALso includes 2 set/par/game ports.  There are cheaper systems available too.
So $3600 for a VGA 33Mhz 80486 is highway robbery.

-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM (Eric Lee Green) (05/26/91)

From article <1991May24.223604.19390@crash.cts.com>, by uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun):

> []
> Around here a 33 Mhz 80486, with 1 floppy a 40Mb HD, 1 Mb of RAM, and
> a VGA monitor costs $2475.00.  This is an AMI motherboard with 64k cache.
> There are cheaper systems available.
> The above system is available from MICRO DEX, in the san diego area.
> (619)467-9305.  It is an ISA system.

Are you sure you're not talking about a 33mhz 80*3*86 system? 33mhz 80486's
only recently became available, I thought.

In any event, note that: with the AMI motherboard, you need at least 2
banks of RAM to do interleaved access (i.e., get decent performance with
that cache), that the 40mb HD you're talking about is probably a cheap
Seacrate MFM or RLL drive with a huge interleave and a peak transfer time
somewhere between a stumble and a crawl, that the VGA controller you're
talking about is the bottom of the line 640x400x16 VGA with about 60
waitstates for each access to its onboard memory (no, I'm  *NOT* joking,
with a fast processor it really DOES need that many wait states)... in
other words, maybe the processor is going fast, but it sure does have a
slimeball of a system built around it!

I must admit that I may buy a '386SX-based laptop portable one of these
days, so that I can write in my accustomed position (laying on my back in
bed :-), but I'm under no delusion that such a system is actually faster
than an Amiga 3000 in everyday use. Raw CPU speed is only one part of what
makes a system a system. Amdahl's Guideline says you ought to have 1mb/sec
I/O bandwidth for every 1 MIPS of performance to get decent overall
throughput, and most PC clones fail badly there.

--
Eric Lee Green   (318) 984-1820  P.O. Box 92191  Lafayette, LA 70509
elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM               uunet!mjbtn!raider!elgamy!elg
   Looking for a job -- need every bit of help I can find :-{.

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (05/28/91)

In <00675215513@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM> elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM (Eric Lee Green) writes:

> [...] that the VGA controller you're talking about is the bottom of
> the line 640x400x16 VGA with about 60 waitstates for each access to
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> its onboard memory (no, I'm  *NOT* joking, with a fast processor it
> really DOES need that many wait states)...

Or even more.  OR far less, if he was talking about a better VGA card
than you are.  But this kind of comparison opens a real can of worms:

Consider. In the same 640x400x16 Amiga mode, even a stock 7Mhz 68000
cpu can be forced to sit through, ummm what?  up to 320 waitstates to
access video ram?  Or over a thousand waitstates on a 25Mhz 68030.

Sure, half of the overall time waitstates can be minimal (perhaps none
to a dozen).  But the above slowdown could occur 12,000 times a second.
Or in other words, only about 800K possible cpu->vidram accesses per
second can hit the minimum waitstate scenario.  Not super impressive.

The point is:  Hmm, no real point ;-).  Except perhaps that I agree:

> Raw CPU speed is only one part of what makes a system a system.

Yep, especially with video.  regards - kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (05/29/91)

[]
>>Eric Lee Green Writes:

>> Are you sure you're not talking about a 33mhz 80*3*86 system? 33mhz 80486's
>>only recently became available, I thought.
>>
>>In any event, note that: with the AMI motherboard, you need at least 2
>>banks of RAM to do interleaved access (i.e., get decent performance with
>>that cache), that the 40mb HD you're talking about is probably a cheap
>>Seacrate MFM or RLL drive with a huge interleave and a peak transfer time
>>somewhere between a stumble and a crawl, that the VGA controller you're
>>talking about is the bottom of the line 640x400x16 VGA with about 60
>>waitstates for each access to its onboard memory (no, I'm  *NOT* joking,
>>with a fast processor it really DOES need that many wait states)... in
>>other words, maybe the processor is going fast, but it sure does have a
>>slimeball of a system built around it!

An extra Meg of Memory Costs $60.00 from here in town.  The 40Mb HD
is by Western Digital and is an IDE type.  Of course it is cheap-o stock
VGA.  But I just pointed out that 80486 systems are cheap, at least
in this area, 33Mhz 80486's that is.  25Mhz are even cheaper.
The cost to upgrade the system to a 100M connor IDE drive is
$400.  To 1024X768 SVGA is another $250.00. So to re-iterate a system
more to your needs:

80486 W/ 4Mb of RAM, 512k SVGA card & SVGA monitor, 100M Conner IDE
drive, 80486 at 33Mhz AMI motherboard with 64k cache is $3325.00

The base system, that is stock VGA (640X480 16 colors on a 16 bit VGA card)
with 1M of RAM and a 40Mb Western Digital IDE drive, costs $2475.00

Note if you do not need an AMI motherboard, there are cheaper
33Mhz 80*4*86 systems to be had in this area.

Not that I like the systems mind you, just that I look around and
see they are CHEAP!

-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

Alex_Topic@resbbs.UUCP (Alex Topic) (05/31/91)

  In order for the Amiga3000 or future ones to beat the IBM 486'es is to have
one that is cheaper and more powerful. Also very popular!!!
          Another thing I wonder what the price would be if it was straight
from IBM, not some PC compatible maker.hmmm?  Anyways the MAC is starting to
have CLONES now, shouldn't be too hard..
          But clones on the Amiga would be very difficult, cuz of the CUSTOM
CHIPS! and the KICKSTART ROMS!  This of course would bring down the price
considerably.
          Personally what I would like to see a computer just like the Amiga,
but just a tad bit more powerful and cheaper. Now that would sell, of course
if you got alot of support in it.
         Oh well just some ideas, but personally I don't know if I should get
a more powerful PC as of now! Cuz I hear Photonic Processor based PC's will
be available sometime near the end of the decade! Seems logically technology
is just getting better. Moreless this will be the next Computer revelation! I
read in I think Scienfic AMerican about this technology..
         Now you may asked yourself what does all this have to do with it.
Well my opinion 486 vs A3000! I think its not worth argueing about, I'm just
going to be content with my A500 for afew more years and wait for much better
technology to appear. My A500 does everything that I need it to do and
cheaply. I'll wait till the A10000 comes out heh... or whatever with this
Photonic based processors! heh.. l8'er!

 A.t.

chrisr@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Chris Ringe) (06/06/91)

If it is PC compatability you want, why not just run SOFT PC on AMAX.
The speed is still excellent, and is much faster if equiped with a 68030

I thought about getting a 486, unfortunatly I could not give up
multi-tasking and the sound.  I have heard most of the MUSIC BOARDS for
the PC and can confidently say that they don't match the quality of the
AMIGA's standard sound.

I figured that for the COMP ENGEER., anything that requires a PC, I can
so the same with SOFT PC.

If on the other hand, you need the machine for CAD/CAM, then I highly
suggest that you do get the IBM w/Super VGA.  1024 x 768 (256 colors)
highly attracted me, but not enough to give up what the power of TRUE
MULTI-TASKING offers.  I had a 268 16 Mhz laptop for a while and got
annoyed that I could not do something while D/Ling files.

The choice is yours, but wait till the 68040 is out before making a
decision.  If the '040 is as fast as it claims, then there is going to
havoc being wreaked everywhere.

Chris.

+----------------------+---------------------------+----------------------+
|      /// Chris Ringe |  For the CREATIVE MIND!   | or:              /// |
|     ///  St. Albert, |  The Power of the AMIGA   |                 ///  |
| \\\///    Alberta.   |                           | VE6MCP (ham)\\\///   |
|  \XX/      CANADA    |"Commodore's ONLY Computer"|              \XX/    |
+----------------------+-----------------+---------+----------------------+
|  UseNET: chrisr@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca   | Packet/NET: VE6MC (Edmonton)   |
+----------------------------------------+--------------------------------+

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (06/07/91)

chrisr@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Chris Ringe) writes:

>If on the other hand, you need the machine for CAD/CAM, then I highly
>suggest that you do get the IBM w/Super VGA.  1024 x 768 (256 colors)
>highly attracted me, but not enough to give up what the power of TRUE
>MULTI-TASKING offers.

Bzzzt! Wrong... ;-)  Some of our CAD people are moving from IBM dedicated
CAD machines to A3000s using XCAD (they haven't seen DynaCAD yet, and
want to try to use some type of Unix CAD so they can use 3000UXs)
They could have had 486 and 16" or 19" SVGA monitors, but they chose
A3000s instead.  Multitasking was one reason.  Company is General Motors.

Dan

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu