[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] New newsgroup comp.sys.amiga.system needed

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:

> Yes, I hate to say it, but the all-encompassing
> grand re-organization of comp.sys.amiga missed
> one.

Missed several, actually, but adding twelve groups
at a whack was probably the limit the net would
tolerate.

> It has been about six months since the
> re-organization passed, so I feel it is time to
> suggest one more group.

Don't stop at one, more are needed.

> A new group called comp.sys.amiga.system would be
> quite useful.

> This group would be for the discussion of
> operating system related things, such as all the
> KickStart/WorkBench concerns, shells, and so on.

Fair enough.

> It would also concern all those utilities such as
> backup programs, screen blankers, mouse
> accellerators, directory utilities, and so on that
> make the Amiga faster, easier, or safer without
> directly producing useful work. The group would be
> unmoderated.

Those are all applications (except that the
directory utilities could fit in a system group
equally easily), even if their only contribution
gets costed under overhead. Moving this kind of
discussion to c.s.a.applications, which is fairly
quiet compared to c.s.a.misc, would solve this
part of the problem.

> Most of this sort of discussion is now ending up
> in comp.sys.amiga.misc, with some trickling into
> csa.applications and into csa.programmer.

Well, there was always going to be the problem that
too many discussions would stay in c.s.a.misc; it
is mostly a matter of gently redirecting them.  Maybe
a monitor for c.s.a.misc is in order.  If so, are
there any volunteers?

> The so-called "name-space freaks" should like this
> one, as there already exists a
> comp.sys.mac.system, with (presumably) similar
> purposes.

Well, the NeXT folks are discussing having a
*.sysadmin, which might provide a little tighter
focus, but either would do.

> I do not have the resources to run a vote. Do we
> have any volunteers to make a formal call for
> discussion (this note with a different Subject:
> line, I imagine) and call for votes? I can think
> of a couple people who could do it, but they know
> who they are.

Before going public, why not chat in the Amiga
groups for a bit about doing something about
c.s.a.programmer, which is still _much_ too big.
Does any clever soul see a reasonably clean
partitioning of the current traffic?

I'd suggest c.s.a.advocacy as the natural place
for such a discussion, and have pointed followups
there.

Also, comp.unix.amiga garnered a lot of traffic
as Amiga SYSV R4 Unix took off; it may be time, or
be time soon, to look at a partitioning there.

And, comp.sys.amiga.hardware could easily be cut
into a .design, .standard, .3rd-party, and .hackers
set or some such to cut the existing traffic there
into manageable chunks.

If we chat about the things folks see misaligned
from the last reorganization a bit, perhaps a better
way can be found and more things included in this
vote than just a cleanup of one of the problem
areas.

Since the reorganization, we've picked up Matt
Dillon's two alt groups for Amiga UUCP, and
surprisingly with all the other available spots, the
mordibund group alt.sources.amiga has become a
moderately active _discussion_ area. That really
looks like just folks looking desperately for a
quiet place to chat.

That gives about 20 Amiga newsgroups overall; not
quite the half of the net we were aiming for, but a
good start. If we multiply by four again this time,
80 newsgroups should give us a little elbow room
for the next six months.

;-)

                                                           /// It's Amiga
                                                          /// for me:  why
Kent, the man from xanth.                             \\\///   settle for
<xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>   \XX/  anything less?
--
Convener, COMPLETED comp.sys.amiga grand reorganization.

ahh@moji.uucp (Andy Heffernan) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun2.091459.9351@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
[...]
>Also, comp.unix.amiga garnered a lot of traffic
>as Amiga SYSV R4 Unix took off; it may be time, or
>be time soon, to look at a partitioning there.

No, I don't think so.
Not unless we give Healey his own newsgroup (har har har).

--
$BJ8;z(J		Andy Heffernan
This is Unix ( )-	ahh@moji.uucp (uunet!glyph!moji!ahh)

rhealey@kas.helios.mn.org (Rob Healey) (06/07/91)

In article <121@moji.uucp> ahh@moji.uucp (Andy Heffernan) writes:
>In article <1991Jun2.091459.9351@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>>Also, comp.unix.amiga garnered a lot of traffic
>>as Amiga SYSV R4 Unix took off; it may be time, or
>>be time soon, to look at a partitioning there.
>No, I don't think so.
>Not unless we give Healey his own newsgroup (har har har).

	No thanks, the mailing list is quite enough thank you! c.u.a should
	be enough for quite a while.

		-Rob