[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Amiga vs. IBM Piracy, was: Wayne's

kudla@jec313.its.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (06/07/91)

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
>If you've got a piece of software with your name and a serial number
>plastered into the code, you're not going to be distributing it to your
>thief budies.

Unless one of them has a copy and you just run a program that tells
you all the differences on the disk.....

>There's a certain BBS in
>California (probubly more than one) that contains almost any title you
>could ever want...it's a real shame.  If these guys like the Amiga so much,
>they sure are doing their best to make sure the software companies kiss it
>off because of a bunch of ex-C64 owners (nothing personal about the C64...I
>had one and loved using it...but pirating was (is) very heavy on it, and it
>wasn't even hidden from{view).

This is what makes me want to move this discussion to .advocacy.
There was once a board in upstate NY called "SoftwareSupermarket" that
had 3 or 400 megs of pirated software online, and hundreds of users.
Wanna know what the software was for?  IBM clones.  Yesterday an
executive VP of my company came up to me and a secretary while we were
trying to figure out a dBase problem, and said "Yeah, dBase. I just
got one of them.... whatchacallit... PS/1's at home, and I got this
Windows thing from a friend, and I'm gonna take dBase and lotus home
too, I think."  We weren't talking about a horked copy of Lemmings for
40 bucks here.... we were talking about $800 worth of productivity
software.  Piracy is *lots* worse on the IBM because there are *lots*
more users and the easiest way to steal software is to take it from
work.  Plain and simple.  And you don't see many Amigas in the office
(yet?).

--
Robert Jude Kudla - Any email sent me becomes my nonexclusive property.
                                                        <kudla@rpi.edu>

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (06/07/91)

kudla@jec313.its.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:

>  Piracy is *lots* worse on the IBM because there are *lots*
>more users and the easiest way to steal software is to take it from
>work.

I guess there's always been piracy, but this is true.  Almost every
single person I know that owns IBMs does so because they can steal
software from work.  One guy asked me for advice about purchasing a
computer (I maintain IBM-PCs) and I asked him what he wanted to do,
who'd be using it, and then suggested an Amiga.  'Oh no, I want an
IBM so i can use all this free software'.  Even some visiting
engineers from Italy told me they use IBM because they don't have to
purchase software for it.

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu