[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] 3000 Backlogs

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gun Control is a firm grip) (06/08/91)

A friend of mine ordered a 3000 last monday on the powerup deal <he also has a
5 meg 2000 with an 85 megger...>

Incidentally, orders of 40 3000's a day are being sent in to commodore
explaining to him why his 3000 is on a 2 week <or so> backlog. He aint too
happy because he already paid for it but I explained to him I waited 2 weeks
for my 500 to be filled from stock at Amaginations when I ordered it via
Educational Discount in November... then I added how long people were waiting
for their 040 Nexts and apparantly the deluge of orders for Mac Classics
resulted in a rather long wait if a store I called was accurate <a 1 month long
backlog if I remember right>

We might hit the 1 million mark this year <in the US and 4 million worldwide>
if this continues...

PiRho- Because its Co-Ed  . "tsroes rm `nsti ihst""enlgood rakm si amen ym"//
"Brave Sir Robin ran away. Bravely ran away away."                        //A
Macintoshes should be accelerated at 32ft/sec^2                       \\ //mig
Gun Control means using both hands                                     \X/  A

taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun8.031713.3950@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gun Control is a firm grip) writes:

>A friend of mine ordered a 3000 last monday on the powerup deal <he also has a
>5 meg 2000 with an 85 megger...>
>
>Incidentally, orders of 40 3000's a day are being sent in to commodore
>explaining to him why his 3000 is on a 2 week <or so> backlog. He aint too
>happy because he already paid for it but I explained to him I waited 2 weeks
>for my 500 to be filled from stock at Amaginations when I ordered it via
>Educational Discount in November... then I added how long people were waiting
>for their 040 Nexts and apparantly the deluge of orders for Mac Classics
>resulted in a rather long wait if a store I called was accurate <a 1 month long
>backlog if I remember right>
>
>We might hit the 1 million mark this year <in the US and 4 million worldwide>
>if this continues...

   I very much doubt that.  Assuming the figure for 720,000 Amigas in the U.S.
is correct (I doubt it is, becaue I don't think there are yet that many Amigas
in North America, let alone in the U.S.), then Commodore would have to sell
almost half as many Amigas in the remaining six months of this year as they
have sold in the previous five years COMBINED.

>PiRho- Because its Co-Ed  . "tsroes rm `nsti ihst""enlgood rakm si amen ym"//
>"Brave Sir Robin ran away. Bravely ran away away."                        //A
>Macintoshes should be accelerated at 32ft/sec^2                       \\ //mig
>Gun Control means using both hands                                     \X/  A
 / Marc Barrett  -MB- | BITNET:   XGR39@ISUVAX.BITNET        /
/  ISU COM S Student  | Internet: XGR39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU   /
\        The great thing about standards is that          /
 \       there are so many of them to choose from.       /

In article <1991Jun8.044641.29667@news.iastate.edu> taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>In article <1991Jun8.031713.3950@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, I write:
>>
>>A friend of mine ordered a 3000 last monday on the powerup deal<he also has a
>>5 meg 2000 with an 85 megger...>
>>
>>Incidentally, orders of 40 3000's a day are being sent in to commodore
>>explaining to him why his 3000 is on a 2 week <or so> backlog. He aint too
>>happy because he already paid for it but I explained to him I waited 2 weeks
>>for my 500 to be filled from stock at Amaginations when I ordered it via
>>Educational Discount in November... then I added how long people were waiting
>>for their 040 Nexts and apparantly the deluge of orders for Mac Classics
>>resulted in a rather long wait if a store I called was accurate <a 1 month long
>>backlog if I remember right>
>>
>>We might hit the 1 million mark this year <in the US and 4 million worldwide>
>>if this continues...
>
>   I very much doubt that.  Assuming the figure for 720,000 Amigas in the U.S.
>is correct (I doubt it is, becaue I don't think there are yet that many Amigas
>in North America, let alone in the U.S.), then Commodore would have to sell
>almost half as many Amigas in the remaining six months of this year as they
>have sold in the previous five years COMBINED.

Well the US has 650,000 or so amigas as of May 1st, and considering the new low
cost of the amiga <~$400 for a 500!> it seems that that figure is certainly
attainable. The rate that commodore is selling 3000's would give them over
12000 units a year and I can only guess the 500 is selling alot better.