[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] power-up deal

pwb@newt.phys.unsw.OZ.AU (Paul W. Brooks) (06/02/91)

All this talk about power-up deals and educational discounts
and A3000s for US$2100. Why can't C= Australia do the same thing? Down
here I'd have to sell my car to buy one, even though I qualify for both.
Soon I won't be at Uni. I don't know if this is a blessing (full time
paid employment) or a curse (no edu discount).

			Sigh.

Any on e got an A3000 for A$3000? (which is about US$2100 last I
looked)?

Paul Brooks        |Internet: pwb@newt.phys.unsw.edu.au
Uni. of N.S.W.     |If you have trouble sleeping, try lying on the end of
Kensington NSW 2033|   your bed. With a little luck you'll drop off.
AUSTRALIA          |                              - Mark Twain.

s8922967@ipc04.mqcs.mq.oz.au (Murray John GILBERT) (06/03/91)

In article <1684@usage.csd.unsw.oz.au> pwb@newt.phys.unsw.OZ.AU (Paul W. Brooks) writes:
>All this talk about power-up deals and educational discounts
>and A3000s for US$2100. Why can't C= Australia do the same thing? Down
>here I'd have to sell my car to buy one, even though I qualify for both.
>Soon I won't be at Uni. I don't know if this is a blessing (full time
>paid employment) or a curse (no edu discount).
>
>			Sigh.
>
>Any on e got an A3000 for A$3000? (which is about US$2100 last I
>looked)?
>
>Paul Brooks        |Internet: pwb@newt.phys.unsw.edu.au
>Uni. of N.S.W.     |If you have trouble sleeping, try lying on the end of
>Kensington NSW 2033|   your bed. With a little luck you'll drop off.
>AUSTRALIA          |                              - Mark Twain.

BBIIGG EECCHHOO to that. I agree totally. Here down in oz we hear about all
the great deals you guys get overseas but rarely get to see anything like it
down here. Commodore sells many more Amigas down here per population than
it probably does in the US, so it certainly should be able to afford it.
Or maybe that is the exact reason why there is no edu discount here but
is in the US: we are here a market that doesn't require as big an effort
therefor
e don't get as good a deal while with the US market declining most of
C's effort is going there to save the sinking ship.

I am in about the same position as Paul in that I'm last year therefore
any possible edu discount runs out soon if it ever arrives. If I could
get the A3000 for a comparable price to the US$2100 - ie ~$A3000 then
I would go for it about as fast as I could get the money out of the
bank. 3000 for a 3000 yes!

Another thing is that we here were supposedly getting discount for buying
an Amiga thru the CompShop but when I compared prices with ads in local
mags the prices were most certainly not discounted.

Cya, Murray

Murray Gilbert   s8922967@ipc04.mqcs.mq.oz.au    Macquarie University

cpca@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Colin Adams) (06/10/91)

In article <993@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> s8922967@ipc04.mqcs.mq.oz.au (Murray John GILBERT) writes:
>In article <1684@usage.csd.unsw.oz.au> pwb@newt.phys.unsw.OZ.AU (Paul W. Brooks) writes:
>BBIIGG EECCHHOO to that. I agree totally. Here down in oz we hear about all
>the great deals you guys get overseas but rarely get to see anything like it
>down here. Commodore sells many more Amigas down here per population than
>it probably does in the US, so it certainly should be able to afford it.

I got my Amiga 2000 on educational discount here.  It wasn't much but
you can get a few hundred dollars off.  This was about 5 months ago.

Of course last week I saw a 486 clone (with VGA,h/drive) for the
exact same price I paid for my 2000!!! $3395 AUSTRALIAN!!! Incredible.

I know what I'd buy if I had my choice again now...

>Murray Gilbert   s8922967@ipc04.mqcs.mq.oz.au    Macquarie University

Colin Adams
Computer Science Department                     James Cook University
Internet : cpca@marlin.jcu.edu.au               North Queensland
'And on the eighth day, God created Manchester'