[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Amiga/NeXt/Mac - don't forget the Archimedes

yc58@mrcu (MRC Library) (06/07/91)

Sender:Brian Debenham
This newsgroup has been full of messages saying that the Amiga/NeXt/Mac is
better than the NeXt/Mac/Amiga.  A machine that really ought not be forgotten
is the Acorn Archimedes, which incidentally had a model A3000 before
Commodore.

They are built around Acorn's ARM processor (Acorn RISC machine), recently
bought into by Apple, and use a non-preemptive multi-tasking operating
system called RISCOS. They are *VERY* fast, especially with the ARM3
processor fitted, which has a built-in cache. Outline fonts are standard -
no waiting for system 7 - and a very cost-effective DTP system can be
put together; one producer of an magazine, admittedly an Archimedes-covering
mag., recently switched production from Macs to the Arc and reckons a 3-fold
increase in productivity.

File handling is consistent between applications - files are saved by dragging
an icon in a save-box to a filer window for the directory to save to, or if
the file already exists clicking on the OK button will save to its current
directory, or it can be dragged to a different directory if desired. Double-
clicking on a data file will load the application that created it.  Applications
install along an icon-bar at the foot of the screen and are activated by
clicking on, or by double-clicking on an existing data-file, or by dragging
a data-file to their icon.  Data can be saved from one application to another
by simply dragging the icon in the save-box to another application; either
an open window or to the application's icon on the icon-bar.  I save a
selection of fields from my database straight into an open DTP document.

Between 2M and 16M RAM can be fitted depending on model; hard drives use
either ST506, SCSI or IDE (just becoming available).  Floppies are double-
density; but it is thought the next OS release (October?) will support the new
4M floppies. The current OS is in 1M ROM - the next version will almost
certainly be bigger.

PC emulation, totally in software, is available; no hardware PC coprocessor
is available, but the S/W emulation is good enough for most purposes, and with
an ARM3 is about PC-AT speed. The current version of the emulator takes over
the whole machine and only emulates CGA; a new version due "any day now"
multitasks in a destop window and emulates EGA, without much speed loss.

All this and more (8-track stereo sound, MIDI available, 256 colours onscreen,
very fast direct-drive laser printers inc. 600 dpi) for from 699 pounds UK.
See comp.sys.acorn for more info. and loads more Arc users.

Brian

PS Note that nowhere in the above have I put any gratuitous insults to other
machines or their users; but I was sorely tempted!

In article <954@mrcu> yc58@uk.co.gec-mrc (MRC Library) writes:
>Sender:Brian Debenham

>This newsgroup has been full of messages saying that the Amiga/NeXt/Mac is
>better than the NeXt/Mac/Amiga.  A machine that really ought not be forgotten
>is the Acorn Archimedes, which incidentally had a model A3000 before
>Commodore.

Actually, Commodore doesn't have an "A3000", though they do have an "Amiga
3000".  I imagine the Apollo 3000, which predates them both, is called the
A3000 in Apollo circles, too.

>They are built around Acorn's ARM processor (Acorn RISC machine), recently
>bought into by Apple, and use a non-preemptive multi-tasking operating
>system called RISCOS. They are *VERY* fast, especially with the ARM3
>processor fitted, which has a built-in cache.

ARM chips (actually manufactured by LSI Logic, as I recall) are somewhat
interesting.  They're pretty cheap, which has pushed them to some extent into
the low end of the embedded RISCish controller market.  The small size of the
processor unit let them put lots of cache on the ARM3 (4K of unified cache, as
I recall, but it's been awhile).  The main problem with them, at present, is
their memory management.  You need one MMU per 4MB, with a maximum of four.
That's acceptible in the personal computer market, but not for workstations.

Acorn uses a number of standard, off the shelf PClone parts for them, like
floppy controller and (I think) video display, which helps keep the cost down
compared to an Amiga or Mac.  I never heard any details on expanison bus or
other real system hardware on these machines.

	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.