[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Amiga Serial Ports

dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) (06/08/91)

Responding to the following:

"Do builtin Mac SCSI ports go at upwards of 2MB per second?

The Amiga's serial port goes 25% faster than the Mac's.  Neener neener neener."

Something like that, yes. Also, a previous post indicated that Amiga serial
ports are NOT as fast as the Macs. Would you call 31.5Kbaud 25% faster than
57.6Kbaud? I think you had better rethink your math...

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) (06/09/91)

Quoted from <31@ryptyde.UUCP> by dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy):
> Something like that, yes. Also, a previous post indicated that Amiga serial
> ports are NOT as fast as the Macs. Would you call 31.5Kbaud 25% faster than
> 57.6Kbaud? I think you had better rethink your math...

    The hardware manual says the UART can be programmed for 1,000,000
    bps, but that the practical limit is between 150,000 and 200,000
    bps.

    Surely the Mac is similar.
--
*** John Bickers, TAP, NZAmigaUG.        jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz ***
***         "Endless variations, make it all seem new" - Devo.          ***

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (06/09/91)

In article <31@ryptyde.UUCP> dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) writes:
>Responding to the following:
>
>"Do builtin Mac SCSI ports go at upwards of 2MB per second?
>
>The Amiga's serial port goes 25% faster than the Mac's.  Neener neener neener."
>
>Something like that, yes. Also, a previous post indicated that Amiga serial
>ports are NOT as fast as the Macs. Would you call 31.5Kbaud 25% faster than
>57.6Kbaud? I think you had better rethink your math...

I would call 4*57.6K baud faster than 1*57.6K baud.  The Amiga serial ports go
even faster than this, but the quality and length of the serial cables gets to
be a problem.

* I want games that look like Shadow of the Beast  *
* but play like Leisure Suit Larry.                *

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) (06/10/91)

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) writes:
>In article <31@ryptyde.UUCP> dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) writes:
>>Responding to the following:
>>
>>"Do builtin Mac SCSI ports go at upwards of 2MB per second?
>>
>>The Amiga's serial port goes 25% faster than the Mac's.  Neener neener neener
>>
>>Something like that, yes. Also, a previous post indicated that Amiga serial
>>ports are NOT as fast as the Macs. Would you call 31.5Kbaud 25% faster than
>>57.6Kbaud? I think you had better rethink your math...
>
>I would call 4*57.6K baud faster than 1*57.6K baud.  The Amiga serial ports go
>even faster than this, but the quality and length of the serial cables gets to
>be a problem.

I will have to disagree again, in the real world where people use hard drives
and serial ports at the same time, the 68000 based Amigas can't service the
port fast enough to catch every bit comming in at 19,200..there needs to be
some extra firmware added to allow real hardware handshaking, when the buffer
in PAULA fills, it should have a way to automatically drop RTS...

Do this:

        Take one Amiga 500 with a GVP Series II 100 meg Quantum, an 8 inch
null modem cable, and an Amiga 2000 with an Hardframe with an identical 100
meg Quantum. Put 2 floppy drives on both systems, and three hard drive
partitions. NO FAST RAM ON EITHER MACHINE(The A500 can have 512K of slow ram)
Hook them up, and watch what happens when you start transfering files between
the machines at 19200 in a 2 color window. I'd suggest using ZModem, since
Y-Modem-G will bomb out the first time the hard drive write the buffer....

Man, I wish I could post all the crap thats posted about 19200 baud problems
on the C-Net support board. But I think people would bitch about the bandwidth
that would take up...And thats not just a C-Net problem, Jr-Comm has in its
instructions telling you to buy a serial board if you want to solve some
problems at 19200 or 38400. That is not a good thing to tell someone with an
Amiga 500... Now that V.32 is set, and Intel and Rockwell are going to start
mass producing high quanties of chips for V.32, and as price of 9600++ dropps
like a rock, we will see more and more problems posted to the net...and what
are you going to tell them? The port can go 4*57.6Kbps, so you shouldn't be
having these problems...Within the next two years, you may see a $150 9600++
baud modem, and this problem must be corrected now...

I don't want to sound like -MB- and his harping on DIG, but high speed
serial WILL be a problem very soon. Since ECS Paula has not been announced
(that I know of), hopefully Commodore is addressing this problem in their
engineering department...and by looking at the A2232 manual, and the fact
they totally ignored the DTR line (which hangs up any modem I have ever come
across, including the 1680), they really don't understand how people use
modems...

-- C-UseNet V0.42d
 Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
 P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis
 Sterling Heights, MI  48311-0353              Complete Amiga Support
 UUCP: uunet!umich!vela!sycom!rkushner     (We are not satanic, just NUTS!)
            DISCLAIMER: I say what I mean, and mean what I say.

arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) (06/10/91)

Strange, my serial port supports 57.6 baud..

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Flicker turns me on.  -BJP | Get back into the SeX PiSToLs if you program in
Arctangent, Naperville IL. | C. It helps.  //
----------------------------             \X/ A M I G A !
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) (06/10/91)

In article <rkushner.6659@sycom.UUCP> rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:

>Do this:
>
>        Take one Amiga 500 with a GVP Series II 100 meg Quantum, an 8 inch
>null modem cable, and an Amiga 2000 with an Hardframe with an identical 100
>meg Quantum. Put 2 floppy drives on both systems, and three hard drive
>partitions. NO FAST RAM ON EITHER MACHINE(The A500 can have 512K of slow ram)
>Hook them up, and watch what happens when you start transfering files between
>the machines at 19200 in a 2 color window. I'd suggest using ZModem, since
>Y-Modem-G will bomb out the first time the hard drive write the buffer....

I'm probably missing the point in a big way, but I have a 19.2K line
between my NeXT and my 1-meg CHIP A500 with only two floppies.  With
handshaking enabled (software, 'course), I don't get data loss with
ZModem.  Of course, I do get a lot of waiting for the floppies...

> Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666

Dave Hopper      |MUYOM!/// Anthro Creep | NeXT Campus Consultant at Stanford
                 | __  ///    .   .      | Smackintosh/UNIX Consultant - AIR
bard@jessica.    | \\\///    Ia! Ia!     | Independent Amiga Developer
   Stanford.EDU  |  \XX/ Shub-Niggurath! | & (Mosh) Pit Fiend from Acheron

sl87m@cc.usu.edu (The Barking Pumpkin Digital Gratification Ensemble) (06/10/91)

In article <rkushner.6659@sycom.UUCP>, rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:
> mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) writes:
>>In article <31@ryptyde.UUCP> dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) writes:
>>>Responding to the following:
>>>
>>>"Do builtin Mac SCSI ports go at upwards of 2MB per second?
>>>
>>>The Amiga's serial port goes 25% faster than the Mac's.  Neener neener neener
>>>
>>>Something like that, yes. Also, a previous post indicated that Amiga serial
>>>ports are NOT as fast as the Macs. Would you call 31.5Kbaud 25% faster than
>>>57.6Kbaud? I think you had better rethink your math...
>>
>>I would call 4*57.6K baud faster than 1*57.6K baud.  The Amiga serial ports go
>>even faster than this, but the quality and length of the serial cables gets to
>>be a problem.
>
> I will have to disagree again, in the real world where people use hard drives
> and serial ports at the same time, the 68000 based Amigas can't service the
> port fast enough to catch every bit comming in at 19,200..there needs to be
> some extra firmware added to allow real hardware handshaking, when the buffer
> in PAULA fills, it should have a way to automatically drop RTS...
>
> Do this:
>
>         Take one Amiga 500 with a GVP Series II 100 meg Quantum, an 8 inch
> null modem cable, and an Amiga 2000 with an Hardframe with an identical 100
> meg Quantum. Put 2 floppy drives on both systems, and three hard drive
> partitions. NO FAST RAM ON EITHER MACHINE(The A500 can have 512K of slow ram)
> Hook them up, and watch what happens when you start transfering files between
> the machines at 19200 in a 2 color window. I'd suggest using ZModem, since
> Y-Modem-G will bomb out the first time the hard drive write the buffer....

My stock A500 plus a Trumpcard500 w/ 80Mb Seagate drive (lots slower than your
Quantum) can transfer data over a 6' cable w/ a i*m peecee at 38kBaud with
occational retries using Kermit. I've had no problems with 19kBaud.  If I want
to play a game while downloading, however, I have to drop to 9600 else Kermit
gets too many retries to make the speed efficient.

Just an observation,
james

bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) writes:
>I'm probably missing the point in a big way, but I have a 19.2K line
>between my NeXT and my 1-meg CHIP A500 with only two floppies.  With
>handshaking enabled (software, 'course), I don't get data loss with
                        ^^^ Xon/Xoff?
>ZModem.  Of course, I do get a lot of waiting for the floppies...

Add two hard drive partitions, it will be enough to overload it...How about
38400? Does that work?  Mostly the people I run into with problems have $5000
systems with hard drives, and mucho memory in which they can multi-task
in..and then you get the argument "I can't multi-task while downloading! I
spent $4000 and I can't use it if I use the modem?!"

Why do you use ZModem? with a null modem cable thats short enough, you
shouldn't have to worry about data loss.. Try using Y-Modem-G...if it bombs,
then you can't claim you're not loosing data.

mikeh@touch.touch.com (Mike Haas) (06/12/91)

In article <31@ryptyde.UUCP> dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) writes:
>   ...Also, a previous post indicated that Amiga serial
>ports are NOT as fast as the Macs. Would you call 31.5Kbaud 25% faster than
>57.6Kbaud? I think you had better rethink your math...

I think YOU had better re-read my post.  I was talking about MIDI when I stated
31.5KBaud, 'cause that's what MIDI runs at.

I was NOT infering that is any kind of a limit for the Amiga's serial ports.

mmoore@ux.acs.umn.edu (Malcolm Diallo Moore) (06/14/91)

In article <arctngnt.5022@amiganet.chi.il.us> arctngnt@amiganet.chi.il.us (Bowie J Poag) writes:
>Strange, my serial port supports 57.6 baud..
                                       ^^^^^^
Damn dude, you have a SLOW serial port then.

Malcolm "The Capital MD" Moore
Sig closed for renovation -- Grand Opening Tomorrow!