[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Amiga Video Lamers was Re:

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) (06/11/91)

cpdrj@marlin.jcu.edu.au (David R Jeffery) writes:
>Why build a new engine from scratch??? One good reason is that the
>"engine" you are talking of is 5 years behind the rest of the world. As
>many people will agree, the engineers need to spend their time making a
>faster set of graphics chips, rather than sacrificing colours to get a
>non-interlace screen, which I may add is too slow to be of any use.

5 years behind? Hum, guess the Amiga was obsolete when they hit 100,000 units
huh? I would like to see improved blitter operations, and a 32 bit chip set,
everything in CMOS, etc, but when you look at Niptendio selling an 8 bit game
system like wildfire, some people just are not interested in anything more, as
long as the software is of good quality. As long as the price is right, and
the software is avaiable, no one is going to say "VGA's 256 colors is better
than the Amigas 4096 colors" because people are just not that techinal! They
will see 4096 colors on the specs sheet and compair that to 256 colors on VGA.
Atari just came out with 4096 colors and stereo sound with the STe, now who is
5 years behind who? (I feel like this should be in advocacy, check the
followup-to line)

When you are making a bread and butter machine, you are not going to build in
alot of standard "way-cool" state of the art cutting edge stuff for $499
retail! Get real! And no one will use the Way-Cool features unless they are
standard! Mac is still selling a warmed over 7 year old B&W computer as their
new bread and butter unit! I do think the higher end 3000's should have
another graphics option, but then again the high end 3000's are the unix
machine now, and will have a 8 bit graphics board shortly. And if they
didn't use off the shelf parts in the A3000, you wouldn't have seen the power
up program, because they would not have been able to afford it. You have to
sell in volume to make anything worthwile, and if the added costs of a revised
"across the line" chip set will hurt sales by raising prices, does it make
sence to do that in a recession? If they did have something done, it wouldn't
make sence to release it now. Wait for some signs that the economy is picking
up first. Any wrong move could be your death. Anything thats standard on one
machine and not the others will not be used(IE: publishers are still making
512K games that ignore extra memory). Something like this has to be exciting
enought to make the lemmings want to upgrade to it! How many Commodore 128's
were used to their full potential by the software avaiable? Why has 2.0 been
pushed back again and again? So its attractive and compatible enough for
people to want to upgrade! And I don't see everyone dishing out the $$$ to get
2.0 manuals and ROMS, unless they have to. Its a catch 22.

>>Understand what I am saying? Being flexable is how smaller, more
>>agressive companies survive in America, no matter how many times people write
>>their death sentances.
>>

>Does this have any relationship to Commodore??? Agressive??? The two
>words can not be used in the same sentence (IMHO).

You do not see any agressiveness from Commodore? What the hell was power up
then? A same old same old program? If you watched them over the last year,
they have apperantly implemented a cost cutting program, before the recession
hit. Thats a sign of being flexable. They sure sell alot of Amigas, for being
a stagnant old fuddy duddy expensive game machine company. I would really say
that the pricing on the A500c is agressive, seeing how a whole system setup
with monitor is still cheaper than the cheapest B&W Mac. If Mac was selling
an $700 Classic, I would call that agressive as well. Commodore wouldn't be
around today if they didn't buyout Amiga.

-- C-UseNet V0.42d
 Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
 P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis
 Sterling Heights, MI  48311-0353              Complete Amiga Support
 UUCP: uunet!umich!vela!sycom!rkushner     (We are not satanic, just NUTS!)
            DISCLAIMER: I say what I mean, and mean what I say.

> cpdrj@marlin.jcu.edu.au (David R Jeffery) writes:
> Why build a new engine from scratch??? One good reason is that the
> "engine" you are talking of is 5 years behind the rest of the world.

Not that bad. The hardware was 4-5 years *ahead* of the rest of the world when
it came out, so the 1000 is only 1-2 years behind the times. My 3000 is still
3-4 years ahead...

And of course, the software on release was on a par with what IBM and Apple
are promising for 1993 and will probably have out in 1995.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'   <peter@sugar.neosoft.com>.
                   'U`    "Have you hugged your wolf today?"