[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] IAC

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (06/08/91)

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

>In article <1991Jun8.030855.18976@neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:
>>rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>>
>>>   In other words "the Amiga is doomed." Marc, you can apply the above
>>>paragraph to System 7.0 's InterApp Communication. It's inferior to
>>>the Amiga message system and Arexx
>>
>>  In what way?

>  Real time speed for one.

  Yep, for sure.  Chalk one up for the Amiga.

>  Standardization. The Amiga has had interprocess communication from
>day 1. It will be awhile before the Mac catches up.

  Yes, but as you mention in your clipboard example, this is not really
a technical advantage.  Indeed, Apple (as they have done with most things)
have set pretty strong standards for things like AppleEvents (with
required, core, functional-area and finally custom events), so I would
expect all major developers to have a very strong incentive to build
IAC into their programs.
  Just as a question, to what extent is Amiga IPC standardised?  I take it
that Arexx is the method of standardisation?  Who defines Arexx?  How does
one program know what messages another program can accept?  Are there
set messages defined for things like "Drag this object to this location"?

>  Speed. Amiga messages are not copied, only pointers are passed, and
>messages are reused.

  Does Amiga IPC work across a network (I'm asking, I don't know)?
i.e. can one Amiga program send a low-level message to a program on
another machine?  That's one of the more powerful features of System 7
IAC vs for example, Microsoft's DDE.  IAC is totally transparent
across the network.

>  Arexx. Nuff said. Let me give an example. Any Amiga user could take
>a bbs with an Arexx port, add a menu to the board called "Process a
>bitmap", he could then set up a front end to ASDG's Art Department
>and offer (optionally at a price) Color/Printer processing. Or one could
>set up a fast machine with Arexx serial server and allow user to
>upload 3d objects and have them rendered by your favorite ray-tracer.

  There are equivalent products for Mac IAC, such as ControlTower,
Frontier, and eventually AppleScript, all based on top of AppleEvents.
So, Arexx has a head start, but once again, I don't think it's a
technical advantage.  Using your "there's no reason why it shouldn't
be able to surpass the other in the future" applies here.

>  Exactly my point. I'm trying to point out the flaw in Marc's
>arguement. His article said that no matter _how_ good the Amiga's
>clipboard got in the future it would never surpass the Mac's because
>the current apps don't support it.

  I think the whole question here is how strictly enforced these
"standards" are.  You're right in that there's no reason why the
clipboard couldn't be better than the Mac's.  But Marc's also right
in saying that if applications don't support it, then the technical
superiority is wasted.
  So the question is:  will applications support it?  Apple has a
reasonably good track history of "telling" developers what they,
at the minimum, must support.  For example, the style guidelines,
the standard Edit menu, support of a clipboard, a standard file
open dialog box, printing, support of PICT and TEXT formats, etc.
  This guarantees that users get the most out of applications, because
they know that all applications support those features.  If some
developer decides not to support those features (such as with some of
the early DOS ports), the product dies a quick and painful death
because customers just won't buy it.

  Commodore does not seem to have such a good track record with the
Amiga [e.g. the clipboard/a standard file requester].

  For example, as mentioned above, Apple has enforced a standard that
all applications being developed now and in the future should support
at the very least required and core Apple events.  Is there any such
standard on the Amiga, or is it left up to the developer?

  There's also a difference in market, which will tend to compel Mac
applications developers to include a sophisticated feature like IAC,
namely, that there are more high-powered productivity applications
users on Macs than there are on Amigas.
  Someone doing DTP for example would love to have AppleEvents to be
able to flow incoming text off the modem from Microphone II V4.0 into
Pagemaker 5.0.  And there's a huge market of people out there who need
this.
  Is the market for Amiga users as large?  If not, will applications
developers be so compelled to support it?

  Anyway, enough of this rambling.  My main point is that with IAC (of
which the clipboard is one small example), it's the definition of
standards between developers that is critical to its success.
  If the OS developer acts as the central repository and driving force
behind these standards, you're likely to end up with more support for
the feature than leaving it to individual developers to work it out
for themselves.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"And remember, whatever you do, DON'T MENTION THE WAR!"

taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun8.074935.781@neon.Stanford.EDU>, torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:
>rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

>>>  In what way?
>
>>  Real time speed for one.
>
>  Yep, for sure.  Chalk one up for the Amiga.
>
>>  Standardization. The Amiga has had interprocess communication from
>>day 1. It will be awhile before the Mac catches up.
>
>  Yes, but as you mention in your clipboard example, this is not really
>a technical advantage.  Indeed, Apple (as they have done with most things)
>have set pretty strong standards for things like AppleEvents (with
>required, core, functional-area and finally custom events), so I would
>expect all major developers to have a very strong incentive to build
>IAC into their programs.
>  Just as a question, to what extent is Amiga IPC standardised?  I take it
>that Arexx is the method of standardisation?  Who defines Arexx?  How does
>one program know what messages another program can accept?  Are there
>set messages defined for things like "Drag this object to this location"?

   ARexx is the Amiga implementation of the standard language Rexx.  The
Amiga implementation is exactly the same as the standard language (used
originally on IBM mainframes) save the omission of the arbitrary-precision
arithmetic facility (arithmetic operation in Amiga Rexx are done using
IEEE double-precision and limited to 14 digits of precision).

>>  Speed. Amiga messages are not copied, only pointers are passed, and
>>messages are reused.
>
>  Does Amiga IPC work across a network (I'm asking, I don't know)?
>i.e. can one Amiga program send a low-level message to a program on
>another machine?  That's one of the more powerful features of System 7
>IAC vs for example, Microsoft's DDE.  IAC is totally transparent
>across the network.

   No, not at all.  Rexx on the Amiga works strictly on one machine, and
has absolutely no networking features.

   Actually, networking on the Amiga in general is still very, very primitive.
It is very rare to find Amigas used in a networking environement, while it
is rare to find MACs not being used in a network.  If Amigas are being used
in a network, they are probably running Amiga UNIX.  The networking
software for AmigaDOS has only been available from Commodore for less than
two years, and is largely ignored (very few Amiga applications have
networking-related features).

   <Brief Tangent>
   The subject of networking brings up yet another area in which the MAC
excells over the Amiga.  As I said above, Commodore has been selling
netorking software for the Amiga for less than two years, while Apple
has been making networking software available for the MAC for a very
long time.

   To see just how much of a jump Apple has over Commodore in this area,
you just have to pick up a netorking-related journal.  I've been getting
Network World for several years, and every issue has something in it
about Apple or the Macintosh.  I have never ever seen either Commodore
or the Amiga mentioned in this journal in the several years that I've
been getting it.
   <End Tangent>

> [...]
>Pagemaker 5.0.  And there's a huge market of people out there who need
>this.
>  Is the market for Amiga users as large?  If not, will applications
>developers be so compelled to support it?
>
>  Anyway, enough of this rambling.  My main point is that with IAC (of
>which the clipboard is one small example), it's the definition of
>standards between developers that is critical to its success.
>  If the OS developer acts as the central repository and driving force
>behind these standards, you're likely to end up with more support for
>the feature than leaving it to individual developers to work it out
>for themselves.
>

>--
>Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
>"And remember, whatever you do, DON'T MENTION THE WAR!"
 / Marc Barrett  -MB- | BITNET:   XGR39@ISUVAX.BITNET        /
/  ISU COM S Student  | Internet: XGR39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU   /
\        The great thing about standards is that          /
 \       there are so many of them to choose from.       /

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun8.074935.781@neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:
>rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>

>>In article <1991Jun8.030855.18976@neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:
>>>rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>>  Standardization. The Amiga has had interprocess communication from
>>day 1. It will be awhile before the Mac catches up.
>
>  Yes, but as you mention in your clipboard example, this is not really
>a technical advantage.  Indeed, Apple (as they have done with most things)
>have set pretty strong standards for things like AppleEvents (with
>required, core, functional-area and finally custom events), so I would
>expect all major developers to have a very strong incentive to build
>IAC into their programs.

  Commodore defines the "events" (message classes that arrive on your
window message port) but they don't enforce any amount of events
you should handle if I recall correctly. This is the reason some
Amiga programs have no GUI at all and merely input/output from the
stdin/out of the console. However, most programs do implement
the standard open, close, about, quit, save, cut, paste, and so on.

  The problem on the Amiga wasn't that developers didn't follow the rules,
it was that there was no interface guidelines at all. Now that has changed,
C= has put out the Amiga interface style guide.

>  Just as a question, to what extent is Amiga IPC standardised?  I take it
>that Arexx is the method of standardisation?  Who defines Arexx?  How does
>one program know what messages another program can accept?  Are there
>set messages defined for things like "Drag this object to this location"?

  Arexx is now the "standard" format for IPC messages not only
because it is flexible, but because you get an interpreted language
to boot. Until recently, Arexx command names were left up to
the implementator (for instance, almost all Amiga editors have an
Arexx port, but most of them had different names for the commands
that do the same thing on each ,like mark a block of text, etc)

  It's not an easy problem to solve. Sure you can standardize some
commands, but what about really localized features. Suppose a paint
program had a command to "draw a closed bezier curve with parameters
foo,bar,baz and fill it with the inverse of the background behind it."
How is a word processor supposed to know about this feature and
use it ? SImple, it can't. A lot of Amiga programs boast over 100
arexx commands and there simply isn't a way to standardize every
function every type of program could have (editors, compilers, paint
programs, renderers, publishers, image processors, etc). Imagine
the frustration of a programmer who would have to implemented
support for that many functions. The simply solution is to define
a small set of Arexx commands every program should accept
(open file, save file, print file, help, close file, quit, cut, paste)
The rest is left up to the user to create simple macros that use
the more complex commands that are not standardized.
  Will Mac programmers add more IAC commands other than the small
standardized set?

>>  Speed. Amiga messages are not copied, only pointers are passed, and
>>messages are reused.
>
>  Does Amiga IPC work across a network (I'm asking, I don't know)?
>i.e. can one Amiga program send a low-level message to a program on
>another machine?  That's one of the more powerful features of System 7
>IAC vs for example, Microsoft's DDE.  IAC is totally transparent
>across the network.

  I call as evidence, Parnet/Sernet on the Amiga, also Matt Dillon's
NFS-Handler NF0: which lets me mount the entire Unix device list
on my Amiga and access it as a normal device. (e.g. I can
cp dh0:myfile to nf0:home/users/mydir, or use it from workbench)

  In short, Exec doesn't care where the message came from just so
long as it gets there. There is zero networking support in the OS
however so if you want to network Amiga's, you either buy
an ethernet card with AS225 software, Dale Luck's X11R4 for AmigaDOS,
or grab Dnet/Parnet/Sernet off a fish disk and have networking for free.
All of the networking is transparent(you can access remote devices
perfectly). (Note you can also get DoubleTalk which allows you to fileshare
with Macs on Appletalk, or hook doubletalk to doubletalk and get twice
the speed of Appletalk.)
  There is a network standard, it is called SANA.

>>  Arexx. Nuff said. Let me give an example. Any Amiga user could take
>>a bbs with an Arexx port, add a menu to the board called "Process a
>>bitmap", he could then set up a front end to ASDG's Art Department
>>and offer (optionally at a price) Color/Printer processing. Or one could
>>set up a fast machine with Arexx serial server and allow user to
>>upload 3d objects and have them rendered by your favorite ray-tracer.
>
>  There are equivalent products for Mac IAC, such as ControlTower,
>Frontier, and eventually AppleScript, all based on top of AppleEvents.
>So, Arexx has a head start, but once again, I don't think it's a
>technical advantage.  Using your "there's no reason why it shouldn't
>be able to surpass the other in the future" applies here.

  I never said it couldn't surpass the Amiga in the future, at the moment
IAC is slightly inferior to Exec's messaging scheme.

>>  Exactly my point. I'm trying to point out the flaw in Marc's
>>arguement. His article said that no matter _how_ good the Amiga's
>>clipboard got in the future it would never surpass the Mac's because
>>the current apps don't support it.
>
>  I think the whole question here is how strictly enforced these
>"standards" are.  You're right in that there's no reason why the
>clipboard couldn't be better than the Mac's.  But Marc's also right
>in saying that if applications don't support it, then the technical
>superiority is wasted.

  No, Marc said no matter how good it was, it could never surpass the
Mac because all Mac apps support the clipboard and hardly any
Amiga apps do. Regardless of whether developers start to support it,
Marc's arguement boils down to 'the Mac is too far ahead, the number of
Amiga apps which support the clipboard will never catch the
number of Mac apps that do.' Yes, I'm putting words in Marc's mouth,
but his arguement definately sounds like a doublestandard. Applying
the same thing to the Amiga, so many apps support Arexx and they have
so many commands (usually over 100, minumum 40) that the number of
IAC commands and apps that support them will never catch up to the
Amiga functionality.

>  So the question is:  will applications support it?  Apple has a
>reasonably good track history of "telling" developers what they,
>at the minimum, must support.  For example, the style guidelines,
>the standard Edit menu, support of a clipboard, a standard file
>open dialog box, printing, support of PICT and TEXT formats, etc.

  The Amiga doesn't have a track record to compare. There was no
style guide until recently. The Amiga does enforce IFF universally
because CBM did tell the developers to use it. Apple and Microsoft
seem to be adopting deritatives of IFF now that it's getting
popular (MIFF, AIFF, etc)

>  Commodore does not seem to have such a good track record with the
>Amiga [e.g. the clipboard/a standard file requester].

  There was no standard file requester prior to 2.0 however
the ARP requester and the requester.library became an unofficial standard.

>  For example, as mentioned above, Apple has enforced a standard that
>all applications being developed now and in the future should support
>at the very least required and core Apple events.  Is there any such
>standard on the Amiga, or is it left up to the developer?

  Amiga events don't say 'Open','Close', 'Quit'. Amiga events say
'MENUPICK, the user pressed MENU X' or 'CLOSEWINDOW' or 'GADGETUP/DOWN'
Before C= produced the style guide developers were free to
implement any menu structure they choose. However, most of them
did implement a main menu (open/close/quit/save/about), an edit menu, and
a preferences menu.

>  There's also a difference in market, which will tend to compel Mac
>applications developers to include a sophisticated feature like IAC,
>namely, that there are more high-powered productivity applications
>users on Macs than there are on Amigas.

  Amiga developers will support new features simply because it will
make their application better and they make money by selling an
upgrade. Typical examples are ASDG's Art Department, ProWrite,
HASH's JourneyMan, Turbo Silver/Imagine, Sculpt 3d/4d, even SuperBase
which also sells on MS-DOS/Windows updated to AmigaDOS 2.0 and Arexx.

>  Is the market for Amiga users as large?  If not, will applications
>developers be so compelled to support it?

  Sure, size has little to do with the Amiga market. Many companies
still support the AMiga although I feel they haven't been selling as
much as they would on another platform.

>  If the OS developer acts as the central repository and driving force
>behind these standards, you're likely to end up with more support for
>the feature than leaving it to individual developers to work it out
>for themselves.

  Before ADOS 2.0, C= didn't bother with 'human interface' standards
much, now they do. A lot of great Amiga features have come from
developers thinking up standards themselves, and C= ends up licensing it.
(Commodities Exchange[Jim], pipe-handler[Matt], conman[Bill] (2.0 con: has its
features now), Snap (Conclip), iffparse.library[Leo], asl.library[Charlie],
Arexx[Bill],Screenshare.library[Willy] (2.0 PubScreens) and so on)
 Let's not forget Dale Luck and SANA, or the software distillery's
NET:.

>--
>Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
>"And remember, whatever you do, DON'T MENTION THE WAR!"

--
/ INET:rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu     *   // The opinions expressed here do not      \
| INET:r_cromwe@upr2.clu.net  | \X/  in any way reflect the views of my self.|

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (06/08/91)

    Let me clarify a few points to Evan that I forgot in my last
message. Recognize the difference between Arexx the language and
arexx commands. Arexx is a standardized language dating back to
really old mainframes. ANSI is standardizing it now to bring
IBM OS/2's Rexx, Amiga, and everyone else into sync with the new features.
(Arexx's creator, Bill Hawes was at the ANSI committee to insure
the Arexx's features and flavors are reviewed. )

 Arexx commands are the stuff applications recognize. Once you address
an Application's message port, the Arexx commands cannow be accesses
as if they were part of Arexx's base language.

Example:

/* A program to print numbers 1 to 100 to my terminal */
address 'VLT' /* Connect to VLT's port. This doesn't have to be here
                if you're running this script from the term's menu
                 option to execute Arexx scripts */

do i = 1 to 100
  send 'i*R' /* The *R is an escape code to send a newline */
end

end example:

 There, that was easy. The send command is normally not part of Arexx's
language and will generate a syntax error if the term isn't
loaded.

 Arexx supports structures/array, interpreter/self modifying (like lisp),
loops, flow constructs, a switch like statement (named select),
procedures, local variables, recursion and everything else you'd
expect.

--
/ INET:rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu     *   // The opinions expressed here do not      \
| INET:r_cromwe@upr2.clu.net  | \X/  in any way reflect the views of my self.|
\ UUCP:uunet!tnc!m0023        *                                              /

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (06/08/91)

  <Blush> there's a bug in that Arexx program and a few typo's (so
sue me, it's late!)

  send 'i*R' should be  "send i||'*R'". The || operator is like strcat().

--

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun8.084126.3287@news.iastate.edu> taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>   No, not at all.  Rexx on the Amiga works strictly on one machine, and
>has absolutely no networking features.

	Marc, "Amiga IPC" does not equal "AREXX"!  The Exec has a whole
message-passing IPC mechanism, and *that* is what is being discussed here.
And yes, it works fine over a network.

	BTW, do you think you could learn to edit your messages a little??
You include the entire text of the previous message and insert a sentence
or two in the middle.  (No need to include 5 paragraphs at the end of the
message, for example!)

                                                        Dan
							(no relation :-))

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

In article <1991Jun8.074935.781@neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:
>rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>
>>  Standardization. The Amiga has had interprocess communication from
>>day 1. It will be awhile before the Mac catches up.
>
>  Yes, but as you mention in your clipboard example, this is not really
>a technical advantage.  Indeed, Apple (as they have done with most things)
>have set pretty strong standards for things like AppleEvents (with
>required, core, functional-area and finally custom events), so I would
>expect all major developers to have a very strong incentive to build
>IAC into their programs.

	Actually, that's not true. I was reading an article I
think in InfoWeek or some such which was talking about how
Microsoft (of course! 8) is using a different standard and now
companies are faced with the choice of either working with
MicroSoft programs or Apple programs.

>  Just as a question, to what extent is Amiga IPC standardised?  I take it
>that Arexx is the method of standardisation?  Who defines Arexx?  How does
>one program know what messages another program can accept?  Are there
>set messages defined for things like "Drag this object to this location"?

	There are no set messages, besides the system messages.
Each program defines its own. The method of sending and receiving
messages is what is defined. Actuall, I do vaguely remember
seeing a list from Commodore of standard commands, but as usually
most Amiga programmers aren't following the rules.

>>  Speed. Amiga messages are not copied, only pointers are passed, and
>>messages are reused.
>
>  Does Amiga IPC work across a network (I'm asking, I don't know)?
>i.e. can one Amiga program send a low-level message to a program on
>another machine?  That's one of the more powerful features of System 7
>IAC vs for example, Microsoft's DDE.  IAC is totally transparent
>across the network.

	No. It should be pretty simple to implement in a number
of ways, but there is no official way to do it.
	-- Ethan

Now the world has gone to bed,		Now I lay me down to sleep,
Darkness won't engulf my head,		Try to count electric sheep,
I can see by infrared,			Sweet dream wishes you can keep,
How I hate the night.			How I hate the night.   -- Marvin

In article <1991Jun8.084126.3287@news.iastate.edu> taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:

>   Actually, networking on the Amiga in general is still very, very primitive.
>It is very rare to find Amigas used in a networking environement, while it
>is rare to find MACs not being used in a network.  If Amigas are being used
>in a network, they are probably running Amiga UNIX.  The networking
>software for AmigaDOS has only been available from Commodore for less than
>two years, and is largely ignored (very few Amiga applications have
>networking-related features).

	Marc, you've been mixing up two concepts for several
messages now. Just because few people use the thing (in this case
networking) doesn't mean it is primitive. In fact, Amiga
networking isn't close to very, very primitive. In fact, Amiga
networking follows all the standards, from the hardware with
Arcnet and Ethernet, to the software with Novell and TCP/IP and
X11. What more you want I haven't figured out.

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (06/09/91)

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

>In article <1991Jun8.074935.781@neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:

>>  Just as a question, to what extent is Amiga IPC standardised?  I take it
>>that Arexx is the method of standardisation?  Who defines Arexx?  How does
>>one program know what messages another program can accept?  Are there
>>set messages defined for things like "Drag this object to this location"?

>  Arexx is now the "standard" format for IPC messages not only
>because it is flexible, but because you get an interpreted language
>to boot. Until recently, Arexx command names were left up to
>the implementator (for instance, almost all Amiga editors have an
>Arexx port, but most of them had different names for the commands
>that do the same thing on each ,like mark a block of text, etc)

  This is where the idea of a central repository for defining
and standardising these events is critical.

>  It's not an easy problem to solve. Sure you can standardize some
>commands, but what about really localized features. Suppose a paint
>program had a command to "draw a closed bezier curve with parameters
>foo,bar,baz and fill it with the inverse of the background behind it."
>How is a word processor supposed to know about this feature and
>use it ? SImple, it can't.

  Not strictly true.  For example, the following comes from a
description of Apple's Open Scripting Architecture.
  "The architecture includes a set of standard Apple events and a mechanism
for applications to tell other applications which standards they support.
Standard events are those that have been defined as open standards by
Apple or committees of developers and listed in a registry maintained
by Apple.  They are designed to give programs a way to tell others to
perform common operations, such as dragging an object from one location
to another, as well as genre-specific functions, such as selecting
a range in a database.
  Under the new architecture, developers will need to add an Apple
Event User Terminology resource to their IAC-aware applications.
Scripting environments will check the resource to determine which events
a program supports."

  I can see it being developed to the point, where a program will be
able to tell the scripting environment say, that it supports a command
called "Draw closed bezier : takes 3 parameters", and the scripting
environment will be able to treat this as a new command.
  Then, you'll be able to add a menu command to your word processor,
which uses the scripting environment to send this message to your drawing
program.

>A lot of Amiga programs boast over 100
>arexx commands and there simply isn't a way to standardize every
>function every type of program could have (editors, compilers, paint
>programs, renderers, publishers, image processors, etc).

  No, but you should try to standardise as much as possible, otherwise
you end up with different developers defining different commands for
the same function (as you mentioned has happened with editors in the
Amiga world).

>Imagine
>the frustration of a programmer who would have to implemented
>support for that many functions.

  An application only has to support those events which make sense
to his application.  Presumably, "Draw Bezier curve - 3 parameters"
doesn't make sense to a text editor application.  If the program is
organised in the right way (this is also something Apple is strongly
promoting), you should separate your user interface code from the
actual mechanics of the operation code - hence, adding support for
an event to "select a block of text" should be just a few lines of
code which calls the "mechanics" procedure, bypassing the user
interface code.

>The simply solution is to define
>a small set of Arexx commands every program should accept
>(open file, save file, print file, help, close file, quit, cut, paste)
>The rest is left up to the user to create simple macros that use
>the more complex commands that are not standardized.
>  Will Mac programmers add more IAC commands other than the small
>standardized set?

  Well, it's too early to tell, but the whole idea of Open
Scripting Architecture is meant to recognise the fact that events beyond
the std open, close, quit commands are crucial to the success of IAC.
  Deneba have already added support for custom Apple events to their
Canvas 3.0 drawing program, providing a command for every single function
of the program.

>>  Does Amiga IPC work across a network (I'm asking, I don't know)?
>>i.e. can one Amiga program send a low-level message to a program on
>>another machine?  That's one of the more powerful features of System 7
>>IAC vs for example, Microsoft's DDE.  IAC is totally transparent
>>across the network.

>  I call as evidence, Parnet/Sernet on the Amiga, also Matt Dillon's
>NFS-Handler NF0: which lets me mount the entire Unix device list
>on my Amiga and access it as a normal device. (e.g. I can
>cp dh0:myfile to nf0:home/users/mydir, or use it from workbench)

  Yes, but is this using the same IPC mechanisms as ordinary applications
use.  I've been able to mount remote devices on a Mac for the past
5 years, but it certainly wasn't using IPC to do it.  It was just using
a customised device handler.
  I'm talking about running your scripting environment on one machine
in the network, and being able to write a script which says something like

  open Pagemaker on machine Saturn
    send "FlowText" && text of item 3 to Saturn:Pagemaker
    send "Save Document" to Saturn:Pagemaker
  close Pagemaker on machine Saturn

>>  For example, as mentioned above, Apple has enforced a standard that
>>all applications being developed now and in the future should support
>>at the very least required and core Apple events.  Is there any such
>>standard on the Amiga, or is it left up to the developer?

>  Amiga events don't say 'Open','Close', 'Quit'. Amiga events say
>'MENUPICK, the user pressed MENU X'

  How does a scripting environment "know" where the Quit command is
then?  What happens if the program doesn't have a Quit command, but
instead just uses the Close of a window to exit the program?
  Or, if the Font menu (for example under change of Font) is really
a hierarchical menu under a Format main menu?  Or even, fonts can
only be changed via a Format dialog box (often the case with non
word processors - e.g. spreadsheets and databases)?  By moving the
level of abstraction up one, you can have "SetFont to Helvetica" as
a command which a scripting application can send to any program,
not having to worry how the user interface of that program actually
implements "SetFont".

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"I didn't get where I am today without knowing a good deal when I see one,
 Reggie."  "Yes, C.J."

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (06/09/91)

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

>arexx commands. Arexx is a standardized language dating back to
>really old mainframes. ANSI is standardizing it now to bring
>IBM OS/2's Rexx, Amiga, and everyone else into sync with the new features.

  A question to Arexx users.  Is Arexx a "nice" language?  How does it
compare to say, a language like Basic, or C?

>do i = 1 to 100
>  send 'i||*R' /* The *R is an escape code to send a newline */
>end

  Hmmm.  *R for a newline? Intuitive?
Playing devil's advocate for a moment - isn't the fact that Rexx was
originally designed for old IBM mainframes a big black mark against it?
Is it really appropriate for microcomputer users?

Would you prefer (instead of Arexx) to have a C-like
language?  Or even a structured Basic as Bill Gates seems to want
everybody to use...

es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>In article <1991Jun8.074935.781@neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:
>>
>>  Yes, but as you mention in your clipboard example, this is not really
>>a technical advantage.  Indeed, Apple (as they have done with most things)
>>have set pretty strong standards for things like AppleEvents (with
>>required, core, functional-area and finally custom events), so I would
>>expect all major developers to have a very strong incentive to build
>>IAC into their programs.

>	Actually, that's not true. I was reading an article I
>think in InfoWeek or some such which was talking about how
>Microsoft (of course! 8) is using a different standard and now
>companies are faced with the choice of either working with
>MicroSoft programs or Apple programs.

  Microsoft (of course! :-() have ulterior motives.  This is a big
worry to developers at the moment, and it's something Apple has tried
to allay in just the last couple of weeks.  For example, from
this week's MacWeek article on the Open Scripting Architecture.

  "Apple said the architecture will encompass two approaches to IAC: the
Object model the company developed and the simpler Remote Procedure Events
model UserLand President Dave Winer is encouraging.
  The broader standard may ease concerns that differences in approach
between Apple and Microsoft Corp. could limit the benefits of IAC.  "RPE
is broad enough to include Dynamic Data Exchange, Microsoft's
interapplication messaging protocol," Winer said.  "It's reasonable to
expect Microsoft apps will eventually be scriptable."

  It will be interesting to observe how events turn out.  Certainly,
one of the biggest concerns from the corporations is that they want
IAC to be cross-platform.  Indeed, there have been quotes from Apple
that they're thinking about moving AppleEvents and IAC across into
the Windows world, or at least making them a platform-independent
standard (as they have done with Appletalk).
  Similarly, Microsoft would like to gets its Object Linking and
Embedding established as a cross-platform standard.

>>>  Speed. Amiga messages are not copied, only pointers are passed, and
>>>messages are reused.
>>
>>  Does Amiga IPC work across a network (I'm asking, I don't know)?
>>i.e. can one Amiga program send a low-level message to a program on
>>another machine?  That's one of the more powerful features of System 7
>>IAC vs for example, Microsoft's DDE.  IAC is totally transparent
>>across the network.
>>
>	No. It should be pretty simple to implement in a number
>of ways, but there is no official way to do it.

  Definitely something to look into.

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) (06/09/91)

Quoted from <1991Jun8.090052.12906@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> by rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell):
>   The problem on the Amiga wasn't that developers didn't follow the rules,
> it was that there was no interface guidelines at all. Now that has changed,

    There were interface guidelines. In the 1.1 Intuition manual.

    I don't think folks have considered interfacing a problem, though.
    People just do what they like, and assume the user is intelligent
    enough to handle it. This could be a misunderstanding they have re
    the average user, but then again maybe it isn't.

> / INET:rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu     *   // The opinions expressed here do not      \
--
*** John Bickers, TAP, NZAmigaUG.        jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz ***
***         "Endless variations, make it all seem new" - Devo.          ***

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (06/09/91)

taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>   To see just how much of a jump Apple has over Commodore in this area,
>you just have to pick up a netorking-related journal.  I've been getting
>Network World for several years, and every issue has something in it
>about Apple or the Macintosh.

And if you ever *read* it you would notice that they aren't all that enthused.
Recent quotes:

[concerning system 7.0] "...users and analysts are panning the product...
does not give Macintosh users the sophisticated networking capabilities
they had expected"

"There are very few networking features of any interest"

"...users must be running System 7.0 in a peer-to-peer configuration to
obtain the multiuser advantages"

"Apple did not pay enough attention to networking"

"Apple's primary achievement after three years has been a PostScript clone"

"...does not include the more advanced multitasking....It's still basically
the Macintosh operating system."

"System 7 is not a big networking deal."

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) (06/09/91)

Responding to the following:

"  I think the whole question here is how strictly enforced these
"standards" are.  You're right in that there's no reason why the
clipboard couldn't be better than the Mac's.  But Marc's also right
in saying that if applications don't support it, then the technical
superiority is wasted."

This is one instance in which the Mac's clipboard is superior to the Amiga's.
Specific data types are contained in the clipboard (TEXT, PICT, etc), a list
which grows as the need arises. An application in which a Paste command was
given can check to see what data type the clipboard contains because this
information is provided by the OS. The Amiga's clipboard is too free-form,
or so recent posts would have me believe.

dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) (06/09/91)

Responding to the following:

"perfectly). (Note you can also get DoubleTalk which allows you to fileshare
with Macs on Appletalk, or hook doubletalk to doubletalk and get twice
the speed of Appletalk.)"

Twice the speed of AppleTalk? Impossible. AppleTalk is a set of high-level
protocols independant of speed. It supports TokenRing, Ethernet, and
Localtalk (the networking hardware built into all Macs). Perhaps you're
referring to LocalTalk?

taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun8.150550.21859@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <1991Jun8.084126.3287@news.iastate.edu> taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>
>>   Actually, networking on the Amiga in general is still very, very primitive.
>>It is very rare to find Amigas used in a networking environement, while it
>>is rare to find MACs not being used in a network.  If Amigas are being used
>>in a network, they are probably running Amiga UNIX.  The networking
>>software for AmigaDOS has only been available from Commodore for less than
>>two years, and is largely ignored (very few Amiga applications have
>>networking-related features).
>>
>	Marc, you've been mixing up two concepts for several
>messages now. Just because few people use the thing (in this case
>networking) doesn't mean it is primitive. In fact, Amiga
>networking isn't close to very, very primitive. In fact, Amiga
>networking follows all the standards, from the hardware with
>Arcnet and Ethernet, to the software with Novell and TCP/IP and
>X11. What more you want I haven't figured out.

   You have explicity stated the problem yourself, yet you don't even see
it.  The Amiga has all of the technical stuff to support networks, yes,
but no actual applications geared toward networking.

   I am talking about applicatioins such as WordPerfect Office, which
is a very good applications package geared toward networking.  Both MSWord
and MAC WordPerfect also have extra features for MACs on a network.  As
far as I know, the Amiga has no applications like WordPerfect Office,
and none of the Amiga word processors or desktop publishing programs
include extra features for networked Amigas.

   So, on the Amiga you have all the bare-bones requirements for networking.
You can set up a basic network of Amigas, and you can even set up your own
Amiga FTP site.  However, there are no applications available to make a
network of Amigas truly usable.

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun9.005806.18799@news.iastate.edu> taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>The Amiga has all of the technical stuff to support networks, yes,
>but no actual applications geared toward networking.

	If networking is done right, applications don't NEED to be "geared
toward" it in any explicit way.  That's the beauty of TRANSPARENT networking.

	In UNIX, for example, files are often shared between machines
using software called NFS.  No applications need to be aware of NFS --
they JUST USE THE FILES, not knowing (nor caring) whether they actually
exist on the local disk or not!

	NFS exists on the Amiga *now*.  Install it, and ALL of your
applications will be able to use files on remote disks transparently.

	More examples on request.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

rjc@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (06/09/91)

In article <38@ryptyde.UUCP> dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) writes:
>Responding to the following:
>
>"  I think the whole question here is how strictly enforced these
>"standards" are.  You're right in that there's no reason why the
>clipboard couldn't be better than the Mac's.  But Marc's also right
>in saying that if applications don't support it, then the technical
>superiority is wasted."
>
>This is one instance in which the Mac's clipboard is superior to the Amiga's.
>Specific data types are contained in the clipboard (TEXT, PICT, etc), a list
>which grows as the need arises. An application in which a Paste command was
>given can check to see what data type the clipboard contains because this
>information is provided by the OS. The Amiga's clipboard is too free-form,
>or so recent posts would have me believe.

  The Amiga method is way more flexible. Using IFF it's possible
(if developers would implement it) to cut and paste TEXT, Graphics,
SOUND, Animation segments, brushes, Music arrangements, and even
3-d objects! This is because the Amiga has one file format for all
of these, IFF. An application would simply need to check the header
(ILBM=Bitmap, ANIM=Animation, DCMS=Music, 8SVX=Digitized sound,
FXTX=Text, DR2D=Cad objects, TDDD=Turbo Silver 3-d object
format) And iffparse.library makes this task even easier.
Again, the idea with the Amiga is openness. It's a pity no one
hardly supported the clipboard.device, it would really rock if done
properly. Imagine cutting a new rendered animation out of
Imagine, pasting it into Showmaker, cutting out a few sounds from
audiomaster and pasting/syncing them to animation in Showmaker, and
why not add a MEDplayer module to boot!

--

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun8.091822.13675@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

>Example:
>
>/* A program to print numbers 1 to 100 to my terminal */
>address 'VLT' /* Connect to VLT's port. This doesn't have to be here
>                if you're running this script from the term's menu
>                 option to execute Arexx scripts */
>
>do i = 1 to 100
>  send 'i*R' /* The *R is an escape code to send a newline */
>end
>
>end example:
>
> There, that was easy. The send command is normally not part of Arexx's
>language and will generate a syntax error if the term isn't
>loaded.

As easy to program in as BASIC.  One of the first things I ever did with ARexx
was to integrate a few applications together.  I wrote an ARexx script that caused
my Term program (BaudBandit) to dial compuserve, login, navigate through the menus,
and ask for (and capture) stock quotes on Apple and CBM.  The ARexx program then
took the numbers from the term program and entered them into a spreadsheet in
Superplan (daily stock quote data base).  It then commanded Superplan to generate
an IFF file from a graph done by SP.  It also took some summary data from SP and
nicely formatted it into a document in my word processor (ProWrite).  And, oh yeah,
I had bound it to a function key in my editor (CygnusEd) for fun.  These days, I use
These days, I've modified the script to allow me to enter all the stocks and options
in my portfolio to my spreadsheet and the script interrogates it to find what stocks
to get prices for.  I also am running it automatically at 2:00AM while I am asleep
via Matt Dillon's DCRON.

This is something that I did almost 3 years ago, and might be possible on other
computers (namely the Mac) in the future...

By the way, Ray and others really haven't mentioned another major benefit of ARexx:
It is an AWESOME text/macro language, thanks to a lot of excellent string functions.

* I want games that look like Shadow of the Beast  *
* but play like Leisure Suit Larry.                *

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) (06/09/91)

Quoted from <38@ryptyde.UUCP> by dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy):
> This is one instance in which the Mac's clipboard is superior to the Amiga's.
> Specific data types are contained in the clipboard (TEXT, PICT, etc), a list

    Er, the same is true for the Amiga clipboard. The data is in the IFF
    format, with chunks etc.
--

Quoted from <1991Jun9.005806.18799@news.iastate.edu> by taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett):
> it.  The Amiga has all of the technical stuff to support networks, yes,
> but no actual applications geared toward networking.

    Isn't the meat and potatoes of networking access to files on other
    machines?

    Where the important thing is that applications DON'T have to do
    special things to get at data across the network?

> Amiga FTP site.  However, there are no applications available to make a
> network of Amigas truly usable.

    Where I work, the network is used as a means of having lots of
    people access the same files. There are no applications with extras
    specifically for networking, except email (which does exist on the
    Ami).

>  / Marc Barrett  -MB- | BITNET:   XGR39@ISUVAX.BITNET        /
--
*** John Bickers, TAP, NZAmigaUG.        jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz ***
***         "Endless variations, make it all seem new" - Devo.          ***

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun8.150550.21859@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <1991Jun8.084126.3287@news.iastate.edu> taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>
>>   Actually, networking on the Amiga in general is still very, very primitive.
>>It is very rare to find Amigas used in a networking environement, while it
>>is rare to find MACs not being used in a network.  If Amigas are being used
>>in a network, they are probably running Amiga UNIX.  The networking
>>software for AmigaDOS has only been available from Commodore for less than
>>two years, and is largely ignored (very few Amiga applications have
>>networking-related features).
>>
>	Marc, you've been mixing up two concepts for several
>messages now. Just because few people use the thing (in this case
>networking) doesn't mean it is primitive. In fact, Amiga
>networking isn't close to very, very primitive. In fact, Amiga
>networking follows all the standards, from the hardware with
>Arcnet and Ethernet, to the software with Novell and TCP/IP and
>X11. What more you want I haven't figured out.
>	-- Ethan

The Amiga Ethernet Network I set up had 7 030 Amigas and was totally state of the art.
Every volume on every machine was sharable on the network, including RAM: and floppy
drives.  Serial and parallel ports were also sharable.  It was also trivial to command
any of the machines on the network to run programs remotely.  Every single piece of
software that I ever used with it (and this encompasses a wide variety of apps) used
the network volumes as if they were directly mounted locally.  And as Ethan says,
you can get X11, TCP/IP, and Novell.  What Ethan omitted is that you can also get
DecNet and AppleTalk, too.  And there is also SANA, which allows multiple protocols
to be used on the same Amiga at the same time.

Granted, the only Amiga networks I have heard about are at SLAC, Commonwealth Edison of
Illinois, and a couple of other places.  The facts are that networking capabilites for
the Amiga are outstanding, but its use is just not common yet.

* I want games that look like Shadow of the Beast  *
* but play like Leisure Suit Larry.                *

dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) (06/09/91)

Responding to the following:

"       Marc, you've been mixing up two concepts for several
messages now. Just because few people use the thing (in this case
networking) doesn't mean it is primitive. In fact, Amiga
networking isn't close to very, very primitive. In fact, Amiga
networking follows all the standards, from the hardware with
Arcnet and Ethernet, to the software with Novell and TCP/IP and
X11. What more you want I haven't figured out."

Does the Amiga's File Managment scheme make access of drives and files
TRANSPARENT to users AND applications? Does it have built-in byte-range
locking? Is sending messages (IPC) to an app across a network also transparent
to the calling app? I'm asking because I don't know. I'm not making accusations

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (06/10/91)

In article <40@ryptyde.UUCP> dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) writes:
>Does the Amiga's File Managment scheme make access of drives and files
>TRANSPARENT to users AND applications?

	Yes, very much so!  If you have a file on the device FOO: (for
example), you don't have to know exactly what "FOO" is at all.  It might
be:

	-	A floppy disk?
	-	A directory somewhere on your hard drive?
	-	A RAM disk?
	-	The input or output of a process (a named pipe)?
	-	A networked computer?
	-	A handler?

Here's a great example.  Your floppy disk hardware, when addressed by
different names, can have several totally different functions.  When I
address my floppy as unit DF1:, it responds as an Amiga disk drive.  If I
address it as MS1:, it responds as an MS-DOS disk drive!  An application
transparently simply the device, which transparently responds the correct
way.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (06/10/91)

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) writes:

>Quoted from <1991Jun9.005806.18799@news.iastate.edu> by taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett):
>> it.  The Amiga has all of the technical stuff to support networks, yes,
>> but no actual applications geared toward networking.

>    Isn't the meat and potatoes of networking access to files on other
>    machines?

  Only in the first generation of networking.  The current generation
is to use the network for collaborative work.  Products in this
category include Lotus Notes, Meeting Maker, WordPerfect Office,
Markup, etc.

>    Where I work, the network is used as a means of having lots of
>    people access the same files. There are no applications with extras
>    specifically for networking, except email (which does exist on the
>    Ami).

  That's a pity.  Applications with extras specifically for networking
are incredibly powerful.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
       "Apes evolved from creationists" - seen on a bumper sticker.

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (06/10/91)

and rjc@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>The Amiga method is way more flexible.  Using IFF it's possible
>(if developers would implement it) to cut and paste TEXT, Graphics,
>SOUND, Animation segments, brushes, Music arrangements, and even
>3-d objects! This is because the Amiga has one file format for all
>of these, IFF. An application would simply need to check the header

So both clipboards are more or less the same: different data types,
ability to check on types, etc.  Don't see much to argue over here.

Tangent:  calling IFF "one file format" is misleading.  It's really
more like many different file formats using a similar style and wrapper.
It doesn't make much difference what format is used in a clipboard anyway,
as long as it's both described and used.

> It's a pity no one hardly supported the clipboard.device,

I recall someone mentioning that the first version didn't work quite
right, which led to developers unfortunately ignoring it later on.
Something about losing the first line of text or something relatively
minor like that.  Anyone know more about this?  Folklore or truth? :-)

thx! - kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

In article <38@ryptyde.UUCP>, dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) writes:
> Responding to the following:
>
> "  I think the whole question here is how strictly enforced these
> "standards" are.  You're right in that there's no reason why the
> clipboard couldn't be better than the Mac's.  But Marc's also right
> in saying that if applications don't support it, then the technical
> superiority is wasted."
>
> This is one instance in which the Mac's clipboard is superior to the Amiga's.
> Specific data types are contained in the clipboard (TEXT, PICT, etc), a list
> which grows as the need arises. An application in which a Paste command was
> given can check to see what data type the clipboard contains because this
> information is provided by the OS. The Amiga's clipboard is too free-form,
> or so recent posts would have me believe.

Sorry, you don't seem to know about what you talk. The Amiga clipboard
uses IFF, and the IFF standard includes determining the type of document
you have clipped, be it text or graphics or something else. You find
this information in the header of every IFF file, ILBM for graphics,
FTXT (sp?) for text and so on. So, if this is totally different (opposite)
from what you stated, is the Amiga version still "too free-form" and
the Mac's clipboard "superior"? I doubt it.

dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) (06/10/91)

Responding to the following:

"Isn't the meat and potatoes of networking access to files on other
    machines?"

That's SOME of it.

"Where I work, the network is used as a means of having lots of
    people access the same files. There are no applications with extras
    specifically for networking, except email (which does exist on the
    Ami)."

I guess this is the standard mentality of Amiga owners who think the extent of
networking is to make accessing files across a network transparent to apps.
Ever heard of colaborative computing? Every tried it? There are no applications
specifically for networking? There are several on the Mac! For instance, in
a painting program, different users can be editing the same document and see
each others changes immediately and be able to add their own. There are
integrated packages that do this, specialized packages (database, of course,
as well as drawing, painting, word processing, etc).

dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) (06/10/91)

Responding to the following:

"  The Amiga method is way more flexible. Using IFF it's possible
(if developers would implement it) to cut and paste TEXT, Graphics,
SOUND, Animation segments, brushes, Music arrangements, and even
3-d objects! This is because the Amiga has one file format for all
of these, IFF. An application would simply need to check the header
(ILBM=Bitmap, ANIM=Animation, DCMS=Music, 8SVX=Digitized sound,
FXTX=Text, DR2D=Cad objects, TDDD=Turbo Silver 3-d object
format) And iffparse.library makes this task even easier."

The Macintosh is much more flexible and standardized than any OS I know of.
It has standard formats for all of those, and up to 2,020 "types" can be in
one file! Have you heard of resources? ('snd ' for sound, 'TEXT' for
formatted text, PICT for graphics. Animation, Code, and just about everything
else is all standardized). As a matter of fact nearly every file has these
resources (ICONs, PICTures, snd's, MENUs, etc) that can be modified by other
programs.

[...]

It is possible on the Mac now, and there is an application (Hypercard) to do
it quickly and easily. Also, mind spacing your posts a little better? Try
spacing for an 80-column display...

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) (06/10/91)

Quoted from <1991Jun9.185504.4631@neon.Stanford.EDU> by torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie):
> jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) writes:

> >    Isn't the meat and potatoes of networking access to files on other
> >    machines?
>
>   Only in the first generation of networking.  The current generation
> is to use the network for collaborative work.  Products in this

    Which is the basic (meat and potatoes) generation? Enough said.

    Well, almost enough - granted BYTE isn't a wonderful thing, but they
    discuss aspects of networking from time to time and "groupware" seems
    to be portrayed as a sort of experimental extra.

    Shared data I can imagine being very useful (database servers, source
    code management, et al). But glorified secretarial work like arranging
    appointments?

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (06/10/91)

In article <43@ryptyde.UUCP> dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) writes:
>z>
>
>I guess this is the standard mentality of Amiga owners who think the extent of
>networking is to make accessing files across a network transparent to apps.

  No, it's basically the mentality of Unix too. Unless you count remote
procedure calls.

>Ever heard of colaborative computing? Every tried it? There are no applications
>specifically for networking? There are several on the Mac! For instance, in
>a painting program, different users can be editing the same document and see
>each others changes immediately and be able to add their own. There are

  Ever heard of confusion? I find this to be a silly idea. Multiusers
editing the same document spells confusion to me.
  My idea of networking is the Plan 9 operating system with compute-servers
and file-servers. RAM should also be shared (like AmigaNet) you should
also be able to call functions across the net and have return
values returned to you.

I'd say the majority of networking deals with file-sharing and
servers for special processes. Something like multiple users editing
the same document and having it updated in all apps is done easily
with file-notification. I still think(IMHO) it's a silly idea, and a waste
of net bandwidth (having packets constantly sent back and forth
for minor updates) but it's not hard to do with a file-notification
mechanism.

 In fact, most Amiga editors are already support multiple windows into
the same file with changes in each file immediately. It's merely
a simple matter of notifying when the file has changed and voila.

--
/ INET:rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu     *   // The opinions expressed here do not      \
| INET:r_cromwe@upr2.clu.net  | \X/  in any way reflect the views of my self.|
\ UUCP:uunet!tnc!m0023        *                                              /

In article <1991Jun8.084126.3287@news.iastate.edu> taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:

>   Actually, networking on the Amiga in general is still very, very primitive.
>It is very rare to find Amigas used in a networking environement, while it
>is rare to find MACs not being used in a network.  If Amigas are being used
>in a network, they are probably running Amiga UNIX.  The networking
>software for AmigaDOS has only been available from Commodore for less than
>two years, and is largely ignored (very few Amiga applications have
>networking-related features).

Amigas have hooked up to "real" networks, like Ethernet, for quite some time.
Under industry standard protocols, like TCP/IP, NFS, X, etc.  It's mainly in
the peer to peer area that they have been lacking.

As for "network-related features" in Amiga applications, most applications
don't need any.  For basic network use, you mount a network based disk or
other device, and it looks just as if that device were resident on your
system.  For instance, when I click on the VAX: icon on my Amiga here, I open
up my home directory on cbmvax, complete with Amiga icons and all.  Since the
OS has always supported file sharing and locking, there's no special magic
necessary.  You do need 2.0 for record locking.

Most PClone systems need something called a "network operating system", either
as a TSR, or compiled into the "network" version of each application, to
handle networking, even without multitaking themselves (since any file on the
network is inherently subject to multitasking, even it's due to 100 single
tasking PCs banging on one file over a server).

	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.

lrg7030@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (06/11/91)

In article <38@ryptyde.UUCP> dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) writes:
>Responding to the following:
>
>"  I think the whole question here is how strictly enforced these
>"standards" are.  You're right in that there's no reason why the
>clipboard couldn't be better than the Mac's.  But Marc's also right
>in saying that if applications don't support it, then the technical
>superiority is wasted."
>
>This is one instance in which the Mac's clipboard is superior to the Amiga's.
>Specific data types are contained in the clipboard (TEXT, PICT, etc), a list
>which grows as the need arises. An application in which a Paste command was
>given can check to see what data type the clipboard contains because this
>information is provided by the OS. The Amiga's clipboard is too free-form,
>or so recent posts would have me believe.

You don't know what you are talking about.  The Amiga's clipboard holds
exactly one type of object --- an IFF file.  IFF files are completely
structured, i.e. no free-form.  The applications reading from/writing to
the clipboard know exactly what the type of the data is because all
IFF files, by definition, contain type information.  IFF files can also
hold lists/trees of objects.  With 2.0's IFFParse, no Amiga application
writer can ignore the clipboard!  IFFParse makes reading and writing IFF
clips as easy as IFF files.

Loren J. Rittle
--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster  *would*  *not*  be made to directly support
  the Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' --- A scene at

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (06/11/91)

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) writes:

>    Shared data I can imagine being very useful (database servers, source
>    code management, et al). But glorified secretarial work like arranging
>    appointments?

  Markup, editing, group proposals etc are all good examples of where this
technology is being used.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
Murphy's Law of Intelism:  Just when you thought Intel had done everything
possible to pervert the course of computer architecture, they bring out the 860

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) (06/11/91)

Quoted from <43@ryptyde.UUCP> by dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy):
> Responding to the following:

    By me, he says blushing with pride... :)

> "Isn't the meat and potatoes of networking access to files on other
>     machines?"

> That's SOME of it.

    The most important part of it in my opinion, though I do recognise
    that in an ideal environment more of the available resources should
    be sharable, such as process space, modems, etc.

    File/printer sharing LANs seem to be the real core of business
    networking (wherever I look at work, which is a bank running PS/2s
    and Novell, like most of our customers who have networks at all).

    I understand this might be a slightly skewed impression, as folks
    who outfit themselves with higher capability hardware and operating
    systems are capable of better, but they seem to be located either
    in research organisations or in computer companies.

    Of the applications which are making an impact in the networks I
    see, email is the only significant one designed for "groupware" sort
    of use.

> I guess this is the standard mentality of Amiga owners who think the extent of
> networking is to make accessing files across a network transparent to apps.

    No, no, this is the standard for PClones where I work. Tell me, is
    there a Mac equivalent of the AmigaUUCP package (which is free)?
    What is it like? Does it take over the machine?

> Ever heard of colaborative computing? Every tried it? There are no applications

    Yes I've heard of it. No I've nevery tried it (outside of using links
    on a Unix programming project once - oops, file system stuff, eh?).

> specifically for networking? There are several on the Mac! For instance, in
> a painting program, different users can be editing the same document and see

    Er, woop de doo. Why do you want several people messing with the
    same picture, or same Microsoft Word file, or whatever? Of the
    products that one sees outlined, the project management ones seem
    the most reasonable. And that's nothing to get excited about. Source
    code management has been available as a file system thing for years,
    I'd guess. Multiple people diddling with the same spreadsheet makes
    it harder for one of them to cook the figures, so it can't be that
    handy for management... :)

    Perhaps you don't understand what I mean by meat and potatoes. I
    mean the _bulk_. Sure there are extras and exceptions, but the bulk
    of a LAN's current usefulness in a business environment is, I contend,
    to share files (or things made to look like files, like printers).
--

Quoted from <46@ryptyde.UUCP> by dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy):

> The Macintosh is much more flexible and standardized than any OS I know of.
> It has standard formats for all of those, and up to 2,020 "types" can be in

    Now where's that guy ripping of (ie: using without attribution) that
    quote re "the nice thing about standards is that there are so many
    to choose from" when one needs him? :)
--

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (06/11/91)

In article <4332.tnews@templar.actrix.gen.nz> jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) writes:
>z> <43@rypty
>    The most important part of it in my opinion, though I do recognise
>    that in an ideal environment more of the available resources should
>    be sharable, such as process space, modems, etc.

  Don't forget AmigaDOS allows you to transparently mount any type
of device. File sharing printers/modems is almost the same as sharing
files on the Amiga. For instance, using NET: from software distillery
you can netmount a remote Amiga's PRT: to net:prt, then on the local
Amiga side you can assign prt: net:prt. Even better would be replacing
parallel.device with a version that opened a channel on dnet/parnet
which then redirected output to a remote parallel.device. Quite
easy to do. Netkeys from software distillery allows you to share
the keyboard/mouse on your Amiga with another (you can drag the mouse
off your monitor onto the other Amiga's screen and activate/launch
programs on it.)

   The Amiga library, device, and handler system is very powerful.

>    Er, woop de doo. Why do you want several people messing with the
>    same picture, or same Microsoft Word file, or whatever? Of the
>    products that one sees outlined, the project management ones seem
>    the most reasonable. And that's nothing to get excited about. Source
>    code management has been available as a file system thing for years,
>    I'd guess. Multiple people diddling with the same spreadsheet makes
>    it harder for one of them to cook the figures, so it can't be that
>    handy for management... :)

  I agree, I think multiple users editing the same data is a _dumb_
idea. Humans don't intermesh as well as computers, and editing
a document is not the same as working on an assembly line. Imagine
right in the middle of typing a sentence someone alters the sentence
before it screwing up the flow of the paragraph. Not to mention
real-time updates (instead of buffering) is very expensive and
wasteful of a network. Transmitting single characters at a time
adds time to the overall transfer since the same packet header is
being sent over and over again instead of once for an entire buffer.

  Anyone ever been on a chat system that sends what the other users type
while you're typing your message? Ever get pissed off when -in the middle
of a sentence- a new sentence bursts on the screen interupt yours,
scrolling your screen, and interupting your train of thought? That's what
this whole thing reminds me of. As you say, the _bulk_ of networking
is file-sharing and device-sharing. The next level after that is
servers and clients. Future networking will include sharing
process-space and ram. Infact one Amiga network can already does
this, AmigaNet(tm). Here's a quote from their ad:

"Ethernet version 2 compatible, Fully IEEE 802.3 A dnd B compatible"
"10 Megabaud transfer rate up to 64k buffer memory"
"DMA sequencer with 16 megabyte address range"
"DMA addressing directly to chip and fast RAM"
"16 bit data path"
"Every Amiga on AmigaNet may be a client as well as a server"
"Allow inter-computer communications with data and resource sharing
(Share hard disks, ram disks, serial ports, parallel ports, printers, etc)
"
"Send messages to another user"
"Run programs on remote system"
"Excellent recovery from actual disconnection and crashes on
remote Amigas"
"Ability to know who is active on a network"
"Simple installation"
"Cables and connector included"

  It looks as if AmigaNet has the ability to DMA into other
Amiga's RAM, or at the very least, its own. This means AmigaNet
takes no time away from the processor(only bus cycles are taken
away from the RAM bus it is DMAing into, but it still won't eat
100% processor time, on the A3000 it will probably eat about 5-10%
of ram cycles)  I'm curious as to whether AppleTalk is DMA driven.
I bet it uses polled-I/O.

  If you want to see a nice network paradigm (object oriented
and everything) check out the Plan 9 operating system, it's being
developed by some of the original Unix and C hackers (Kernigan, Richie?,
I can't remember, I read about it a long time ago).

--

dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) (06/12/91)

Responding to the following:

"Ever heard of confusion? I find this to be a silly idea. Multiusers
editing the same document spells confusion to me."

Then you don't know anything about collaborative computing (oh, sorry, you're
an Amiga user. Never mind). Ever heard of the "virtual napkin"? Collaborative
computing is VERY useful for communication on more advanced subjects,
remotely. For example, in a CAD program, you and a friend could go over the
basic structure of whatever it is you're designing instead of having to put
more advanced concepts into words alone.

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (06/12/91)

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) writes:

>    File/printer sharing LANs seem to be the real core of business
>    networking (wherever I look at work, which is a bank running PS/2s
>    and Novell, like most of our customers who have networks at all).

  Ahh, NZ banks are not known for their forward looking microcomputer
technology.  Could this be BNZ?  National?  ANZ? Westpac?  Last year, I
did a quick article on how NZ banks were using microcomputers, and the
impression I got out of it was that they were one of the LEAST sophisticated
users of micros in the NZ market.

>> specifically for networking? There are several on the Mac! For instance, in
>> a painting program, different users can be editing the same document and see

>    Er, woop de doo. Why do you want several people messing with the
>    same picture, or same Microsoft Word file, or whatever?

  Suppose you want to work with your colleage on a proposal.  Unfortunately,
your colleague is in Auckland, and you're in Wellington.  Now, you both
have copies of the most recent printout, which you want to make changes
to together.  Hmmm, do you ring him up, and try to explain where you're talking
about over the phone?  How about sending a dozen faxes as you go back and
forth over the changes?  Or how about just getting it both on your computer
screens, and working on it in real-time?

>    Of the
>    products that one sees outlined, the project management ones seem
>    the most reasonable.

  Another very big one is product training.  You're the microcomputer
support person for the company.  A user rings you up wanting to know
why he can't print out to his laser printer.
  You just fire up your copy of Timbuktu, or Carbon Copy, make his
machine into a host, and start controlling his computer directly from
yours.  Having worked briefly in a microcomputer support group, I can
tell you that something like this would have saved around 50% of the
support person's time.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"Lay me place and bake me pie, I'm starving for me gravy... Leave my shoes
and door unlocked, I might just slip away - hey - just for the day."

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (06/12/91)

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:

>  You just fire up your copy of Timbuktu, or Carbon Copy, make his
>machine into a host, and start controlling his computer directly from
>yours.  Having worked briefly in a microcomputer support group, I can
>tell you that something like this would have saved around 50% of the
>support person's time.

I would *love* to have something like Carbon Copy or pcANYWHERE
for the Amiga!  There are less than a handful of other programs
on other platforms that I envy -- this is one of them.

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun12.042434.26067@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) writes:
>z> <43@rypty
>Sender: news@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu
>
>torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:
>
>>  You just fire up your copy of Timbuktu, or Carbon Copy, make his
>>machine into a host, and start controlling his computer directly from
>>yours.  Having worked briefly in a microcomputer support group, I can
>>tell you that something like this would have saved around 50% of the
>>support person's time.
>
>I would *love* to have something like Carbon Copy or pcANYWHERE
>for the Amiga!  There are less than a handful of other programs
>on other platforms that I envy -- this is one of them.

 I don't know anything about Carbon Copy, but the obvious answer to me
seems to be:

1.RAM DISK:> newshell aux:

if you want more direct control (via keyboard and mouse) fire up
a copy of Matt's Sernet and run Netkeys 2.0.

  Now if you want to see intuition apps run over a net it's harder.
This falls back on the DIG problem, you would need to redirect all
Text/Writepixel/Draw/Move, etc calls over the net, not so easy.

 Doing a program like this on the PC is easy, especially with an
MMU. Just trap all writes the video hardware registers and memory and shadow
them to the other machine.

 DNET/Parnet/Sernet and AUX seem to get the job done for me in most
cases.

--

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) (06/12/91)

Quoted from <1991Jun11.165524.4720@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> by rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell):

>   Don't forget AmigaDOS allows you to transparently mount any type
> of device. File sharing printers/modems is almost the same as sharing

    I'm not forgetting that. I think this is an _excellent_ example of
    good design re the Amiga's OS.

    However, as far as networking goes a nice feature would be the
    ability to mix machines, which cuts a bit on sharing CPU resources,
    because of binary/OS incompatibility. Going with a more standard
    OS, the Amiga has an apparently solid Unix. And at the file
    access level there is Novell and the Sun thing, NFS?

> idea. Humans don't intermesh as well as computers, and editing
> a document is not the same as working on an assembly line. Imagine
> right in the middle of typing a sentence someone alters the sentence

    Yes, at that level I think it's pointless. There are applications
    that do things more like database servers, where users lock parts of
    the data to modify it.

    I mean, there are applications. They just aren't common, or the
    primary usefulness of LANs.

> / INET:rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu     *   // The opinions expressed here do not      \
--
*** John Bickers, TAP, NZAmigaUG.        jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz ***
***         "Endless variations, make it all seem new" - Devo.          ***

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (06/12/91)

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:

>In article <1991Jun12.042434.26067@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) writes:
>>
>>I would *love* to have something like Carbon Copy or pcANYWHERE
>>for the Amiga!  There are less than a handful of other programs
>>on other platforms that I envy -- this is one of them.

[....]

> DNET/Parnet/Sernet and AUX seem to get the job done for me in most
>cases.

Parnet is great - for very local applications.  We're talking about
modem remote control of another Amiga.  DNET won't work for anything
that launches its own screens, etc.  In pcANYWHERE, everything is
echoed on both ends.  I can imagine that this would be tough for the
Amiga (read slow) because of the bitmapped display.  Graphics mode
using pcANYWHERE is no speed demon, either.  I haven't tried Sernet
and Netkeys -- will have to take a look at them.

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) (06/13/91)

Quoted from <1991Jun12.010912.6193@neon.Stanford.EDU> by torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie):

> >    File/printer sharing LANs seem to be the real core of business
> >    networking (wherever I look at work, which is a bank running PS/2s

>   Ahh, NZ banks are not known for their forward looking microcomputer
> technology.  Could this be BNZ?  National?  ANZ? Westpac?  Last year, I

    BNZ. Sure they aren't advanced. The bit I work for does electronic
    banking (call a mainframe, swap files, etc). From a banking point of
    view, we are not bad. Technically, the operation is very inefficient
    (something like 85% wastage of on-line time, at the mo... :).

    Anyhow, I get a lot of calls from our support folks (who install
    the PClone software), and the bulk of our customers with networks
    use PClones and Novell. A handful use other network products. Our big
    customers (BP, for example) use true blue PS/2s like us. And from what
    I can gather visiting their installations, talking to folks over the
    phone trying to get our software running on networks, etc, the primary
    function of their networks is to share files. There are even a few
    customers who use diskless PClones on Novell networks, and care a
    lot about the security of file access provided by networks.

> did a quick article on how NZ banks were using microcomputers, and the

    Quick article for who, btw?

>   Suppose you want to work with your colleage on a proposal.  Unfortunately,
> your colleague is in Auckland, and you're in Wellington.  Now, you both
> have copies of the most recent printout, which you want to make changes

    I'd do it by ZMODEM transfer. Or email.

> forth over the changes?  Or how about just getting it both on your computer
> screens, and working on it in real-time?

    I would not do that, even if the capability to do it were free.
    "This file is mine, mine, mine!", as the saying goes. Structured
    data yes (as in database servers). Text files no.

>   You just fire up your copy of Timbuktu, or Carbon Copy, make his

    Hm. Funnily enough we had a support guy doing this, except he was
    installing Carbon Copy without explaining to customers the
    ramifications of the thing.

    There is a problem with cost, and the audit folks in the bank
    getting uptight about what a bank employee may do to a customer's
    data (by accident or design). The support guy I refer to above no
    longer works for this bank.

> machine into a host, and start controlling his computer directly from
> yours.  Having worked briefly in a microcomputer support group, I can
> tell you that something like this would have saved around 50% of the
> support person's time.

    And as a current employee who has a support role, I know how useful
    just getting at their files is. Because of the cost and audit
    problems with products like Carbon Copy, I recently wrote a program
    which a customer uses to call the bank, and allows us to traverse
    their file system and ZMODEM files back and forth.

    Using the software on their machine would admittedly be nice, but
    this isn't simultaneous use of the software. And as a training
    mechanism it would be a pointless alternative, since a bank rep.
    is required on the spot anyway to install the software the first
    time.

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun12.010912.6193@neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:
>jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) writes:

>>> specifically for networking? There are several on the Mac! For instance, in
>>> a painting program, different users can be editing the same document and see
>
>>    Er, woop de doo. Why do you want several people messing with the
>>    same picture, or same Microsoft Word file, or whatever?
>
>  Suppose you want to work with your colleage on a proposal.  Unfortunately,
>your colleague is in Auckland, and you're in Wellington.  Now, you both
>have copies of the most recent printout, which you want to make changes
>to together.  Hmmm, do you ring him up, and try to explain where you're talking
>about over the phone?  How about sending a dozen faxes as you go back and
>forth over the changes?  Or how about just getting it both on your computer
>screens, and working on it in real-time?

This sounds like a REAL LONG LAN, to stretch from Auckland to Wellington :)

>>    Of the
>>    products that one sees outlined, the project management ones seem
>>    the most reasonable.
>
>  Another very big one is product training.  You're the microcomputer
>support person for the company.  A user rings you up wanting to know
>why he can't print out to his laser printer.
>  You just fire up your copy of Timbuktu, or Carbon Copy, make his
>machine into a host, and start controlling his computer directly from
>yours.  Having worked briefly in a microcomputer support group, I can
>tell you that something like this would have saved around 50% of the
>support person's time.

My $.02:

Network dependant applications, such as multiuser databases, paint programs,
etc., are made possible by LANs and WANs.  There is certainly a lot of potential
for what can be done in a group on a LAN as opposed to individual users just
sharing resources.

On the other hand, the people who are doing these applications are using the
wrong machine, because the Amiga makes MORE possible (this is .advocacy, after all :)

>--
>Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
>"Lay me place and bake me pie, I'm starving for me gravy... Leave my shoes
>and door unlocked, I might just slip away - hey - just for the day."

* I want games that look like Shadow of the Beast  *
* but play like Leisure Suit Larry.                *

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun12.042434.26067@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) writes:
>torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:
>
>>  You just fire up your copy of Timbuktu, or Carbon Copy, make his
>>machine into a host, and start controlling his computer directly from
>>yours.  Having worked briefly in a microcomputer support group, I can
>>tell you that something like this would have saved around 50% of the
>>support person's time.
>
>I would *love* to have something like Carbon Copy or pcANYWHERE
>for the Amiga!  There are less than a handful of other programs
>on other platforms that I envy -- this is one of them.
>

>--
>Dan Griffin
>griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

DNet, by Matt Dillon, provides 90% of the functionality of Timbuktu,
and it's PD (FREE).  I say 90%, because it doesn't allow you to
remote control DPaint, or other apps that use screens/mouse.  It doesn't
let you use a lot intuition features either...

In article <8611@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>In article <1991Jun9.005806.18799@news.iastate.edu> taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>>The Amiga has all of the technical stuff to support networks, yes,
>>but no actual applications geared toward networking.
>
>	If networking is done right, applications don't NEED to be "geared
>toward" it in any explicit way.  That's the beauty of TRANSPARENT networking.
>
>	In UNIX, for example, files are often shared between machines
>using software called NFS.  No applications need to be aware of NFS --
>they JUST USE THE FILES, not knowing (nor caring) whether they actually
>exist on the local disk or not!

Amiga Networks should do this with any protocol, because it is natural and easy to
do with the standard Amiga features.

>	NFS exists on the Amiga *now*.  Install it, and ALL of your
>applications will be able to use files on remote disks transparently.
>
>	More examples on request.

I don't claim to know much about Unix, but doesn't X-Windows require a "server"
running the actual application and a "client" which just does the user-interface?
Do such servers talk to multiple clients without using the file system (meaning
peer-to-peer via sockets)?  If so, this is an example of an application geared
toward networking beyond just file/print sharing.

mikeh@touch.touch.com (Mike Haas) (06/15/91)

In article <43@ryptyde.UUCP| dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) writes:

|I guess this is the standard mentality of Amiga owners who think the extent of
|networking is to make accessing files across a network transparent to apps.
|Ever heard of colaborative computing? Every tried it? There are no applications
|specifically for networking? There are several on the Mac! For instance, in
|a painting program, different users can be editing the same document and see
|each others changes immediately and be able to add their own. There are
|integrated packages that do this, specialized packages (database, of course,
|as well as drawing, painting, word processing, etc).

From a networking point of view, what is needed to support such
functionality is called "byte-range locking", and actually has
more useful applications that what mr. tracy suggests.  For example,
multiple-access to databases can be speeded up considerably if
multiple write-accesses can be supported.

And it is my understanding that this is fully supported in 2.0.
Nice going, guys.

And yes, networking is a rapidly expanding industry unto itself...
MUCH MUCH $$$ are going to be made there for umpty-ump years.
e-mail itself is probably the current "apple-of-the-networkers-eye",
currently moving pictures, sounds, voice mail...probably animations/entire
presentations will be mailed around!  (can you imagine, you log into
your system in the morning to a host of commercials?  hmmmm...maybe
we should re-examine this situation...).

Seriously, what the macoid was saying has some truth to it...transparent
file access acfdcross the nets only scratches the surface of what networking
will provide in terms of functionality in the years to come.  And the
mac has always tried to provide it's users with useable (not incredible,
but useable) networking, geared toward being user friendly.

Knowing the mac's architecture, I can tell you that this is no easy feat!
Networking is complex technology with infinite variables and
appletalk has served the mac community well.  It is probably the ONE
SINGLE MAC FEATURE that, if absent, would have prevented the mac from
EVER being considered business-oriented.  It really was too cutesy for
this market, originally targeted as a home/personal machine.  But the
fact that networking was provided really helped with the perception
that networking was a strictly-business application, so they looked
further...some took that "chance"...the rest is history.

I'm actually a little incredulous that networking wasn't considered more in
the original amiga flavor...it was so far ahead in virtually every other
aspect that industry computing requires.  Obviously, as an open system, it
could be added at any time, but in some ways, it would have been much more
important "out-of-the-box" than stereo sound or "genlock-ability" to the
business community.  Folks go thru hoops implementing 3rd-party networking
solutions on the PC, but they HAVE TO DO IT!  The mac gave it to them
turnkey, with provision to switching to faster medium at the click
of an icon (that's how you re-direct the appletalk protocols from the
ho-hum native localtalk, 230kbps to, for example, ethernet at 10Mbps).
In this respect, they have done a nice job.  (too bad the rest of the
OS is so limiting).

Anyway, it's there now, and done very well.  Nice going, guys.

<sigh> but sometimes, I can't help but think that were it there from day 1,
even if some "turtle-slow" C= proprietary implementation (that would
have SCREAMED for 3rd-party improvement), that my company, Touch
Communications, might be providing OSI/X.400 mail gateway technology
for the Amiga, too, and instead or working on Macs and UNIX, i would
be in the "Amiga group".

(We also provide OSI/X.400 solutions for PC's, too...this is what the
industry is forced to deal with!!!).

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) (06/16/91)

In article <mykes.3558@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG> mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) writes:
>In article <8611@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>>In article <1991Jun9.005806.18799@news.iastate.edu> taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>>>The Amiga has all of the technical stuff to support networks, yes,
>>>but no actual applications geared toward networking.
>>
>>	If networking is done right, applications don't NEED to be "geared
>>toward" it in any explicit way.  That's the beauty of TRANSPARENT networking.
>>
>>	In UNIX, for example, files are often shared between machines
>>using software called NFS.  No applications need to be aware of NFS --
>>they JUST USE THE FILES, not knowing (nor caring) whether they actually
>>exist on the local disk or not!
>
>Amiga Networks should do this with any protocol, because it is natural
>and easy to do with the standard Amiga features.
>
>>	NFS exists on the Amiga *now*.  Install it, and ALL of your
>>applications will be able to use files on remote disks transparently.
>>	More examples on request.
>
>I don't claim to know much about Unix, but doesn't X-Windows require a
>"server" running the actual application and a "client" which just does
>the user-interface?  Do such servers talk to multiple clients without using
>the file system (meaning peer-to-peer via sockets)?  If so, this is an
>example of an application geared toward networking beyond just file/print
>sharing.

Not quite.  X Window System-based applications are designed around a protocol
that's network-independent, not around networking.  The X Window system
uses a client-server model like this:

The server is a program running on the display device and takes care of
things like drawing, clipping, screen-object management, and input devices.
It does not know nor care what the applications are or have to do.  Basically,
it acts like a super-intelligent graphics terminal with a specific interface,
the X protocol.  There is usually only one server running on a workstation
or whatever machine the screen-keyboard-mouse is setup.  Multiple clients
can be connected to the same server and each client can act as if it is the
only one.

A client is an application program.  Since the server is naive about things
such as menus and pushbuttons, it uses the server's abilities to do GUI I/O,
but handles the actual GUI operation itself.  This means each application
can define a different GUI.

Now almost all clients don't use the X protocol itself.  Instead they use
a functional interface to the protocol, the X library, and the C subroutine
library, Xlib, which provides lots of niceties in dealing with the protocol.
These libraries hides all details of networking from the application.
If the server and client are on the same machine, the X library will use
a low-cost local connection, possibly through the file system (on UNIX
systems, this is a "UNIX-domain" connection.)  If not, the X library will
use the appropriate network transport mechanism.  In any case, it is
transparent to the application.  Application programmers ignore networking
totally and write programs "geared towards" the X protocol only.

This means that X Window System-based programs can be ported to the Amiga
with almost no changes, at least with regards to the GUI (OS-specific things
are something else--the ANSI C Standard I/O library helps here.)  We just
need to implement the X library for the Amiga using whatever network
mechanism/interface is available (not necessarily BSD-style sockets.)  For
local connections, just use the Exec message-passing mechanisms.  The Amiga-
style IPC and networking is hidden totally.

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions are those of the user, and not of this machine.

In article <43@ryptyde.UUCP| dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) writes:
> I guess this is the standard mentality of Amiga owners who think the extent of
> networking is to make accessing files across a network transparent to apps.

No, it's to make the *network* transparent to the apps. That's why NFS sucks
canal water, for example, since programs that need to do locking or device
access have to know about remote daemons like lockd...

Reasonably transparent networks, like Intel's OpenNET, allow all special
files to be properly accessed via the network.

> Ever heard of colaborative computing? Every tried it? There are no applications
> specifically for networking? There are several on the Mac! For instance, in
> a painting program, different users can be editing the same document and see
> each others changes immediately and be able to add their own.

That's got nothing to do with networking... it's just an immediate benefit of
a multitasking/multiuser environment. If programs have to be specially written
to be network smart to support stuff like that, well that's a bug.

A network should be as near to invisible as possible. The best research systems
support heterogenous networks that are transparent to the point of allowing
invisible process migration between CPUs. Transparent file access is just the
tip of the iceberg.

> Folks go thru hoops implementing 3rd-party networking
> solutions on the PC, but they HAVE TO DO IT!

Networking goes into the Amiga like a key into a lock. It is, after all, just
more multitasking...

(X.400? Ecch: gimme RFC822 any day)
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'   <peter@sugar.neosoft.com>.
                   'U`    "Have you hugged your wolf today?"

dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) (06/16/91)

Responding to the following:

"solutions on the PC, but they HAVE TO DO IT!  The mac gave it to them
turnkey, with provision to switching to faster medium at the click
of an icon (that's how you re-direct the appletalk protocols from the
ho-hum native localtalk, 230kbps to, for example, ethernet at 10Mbps).
In this respect, they have done a nice job.  (too bad the rest of the
OS is so limiting)."

The rest of the OS is limiting? In what way? I'm assuming this isn't
another anti-GUI argument since you admire our methods of switching
network drivers. :-)

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun15.225638.11517@cs.cornell.edu> johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) writes:
>>I don't claim to know much about Unix, but doesn't X-Windows require a
>>"server" running the actual application and a "client" which just does
>>the user-interface?  Do such servers talk to multiple clients without using
>>the file system (meaning peer-to-peer via sockets)?  If so, this is an
>>example of an application geared toward networking beyond just file/print
>>sharing.
>
>Not quite.  X Window System-based applications are designed around a protocol
>that's network-independent, not around networking.  The X Window system
>uses a client-server model like this:
>
>The server is a program running on the display device and takes care of
>things like drawing, clipping, screen-object management, and input devices.
>It does not know nor care what the applications are or have to do.  Basically,
>it acts like a super-intelligent graphics terminal with a specific interface,
>the X protocol.  There is usually only one server running on a workstation
>or whatever machine the screen-keyboard-mouse is setup.  Multiple clients
>can be connected to the same server and each client can act as if it is the
>only one.

So far, you've described a distributed network application.  For example,
if you want to run FrameMaker, you don't need a binary version of Frame
for each workstation that is going to use it, just for a "server" machine
somewhere on the network.  The "clients" (again, my knowledge of X is limited)
are programs that only provide user-interface support.  The clients draw what
the server tells them to and sends input events back to the server...

There is no rule in networking that says that the client and server can't
be located on the same physical machine, either...

>A client is an application program.  Since the server is naive about things
>such as menus and pushbuttons, it uses the server's abilities to do GUI I/O,
>but handles the actual GUI operation itself.  This means each application
>can define a different GUI.

The notion of "server" and "client" are reversed in X to what I think of
them as.  A server, to me, is a program on a machine dedicated to doing
a specific application (like E-Mail or FileSharing).  A client, to me,
is a program run on people's workstations that talks to the server.  The
reversal in terminology doesn't confuse me, though...

>Now almost all clients don't use the X protocol itself.  Instead they use
>a functional interface to the protocol, the X library, and the C subroutine
>library, Xlib, which provides lots of niceties in dealing with the protocol.
>These libraries hides all details of networking from the application.
>If the server and client are on the same machine, the X library will use
>a low-cost local connection, possibly through the file system (on UNIX
>systems, this is a "UNIX-domain" connection.)  If not, the X library will
>use the appropriate network transport mechanism.  In any case, it is
>transparent to the application.  Application programmers ignore networking
>totally and write programs "geared towards" the X protocol only.

It is nice to add a layer on top of network protocols like this, but it
still doesn't change the fact that the network is being used to do distributed
processing.  That is all I was trying to say.  The talk here was that the
Mac and PC have their own flavors of X-style applications, while the Amiga
doesn't, and that resource sharing is the meat and potatoes of networking.
In the PC and Mac networking universes (using your terminology), they have
Database, Paint, and Word Processing clients that allow servers to act on
the same documents in real time...

>This means that X Window System-based programs can be ported to the Amiga
>with almost no changes, at least with regards to the GUI (OS-specific things
>are something else--the ANSI C Standard I/O library helps here.)  We just
>need to implement the X library for the Amiga using whatever network
>mechanism/interface is available (not necessarily BSD-style sockets.)  For
>local connections, just use the Exec message-passing mechanisms.  The Amiga-
>style IPC and networking is hidden totally.

I find this hard to swallow :)  I'd think that it might be relatively easy
to port the GUI (server) portion of an APP to the Amiga, but porting the real
guts of the application might be far from Easy.  Today, I know I can use
X to run Frame FROM my Amiga, but I still need a network and a Sun (or whatever)
to run the client binary...

>The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
>	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
>The above opinions are those of the user, and not of this machine.

* I want games that look like Shadow of the Beast  *
* but play like Leisure Suit Larry.                *

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) (06/17/91)

In article <mykes.3628@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG> mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) writes:
[...]
>So far, you've described a distributed network application.  For example,
>if you want to run FrameMaker, you don't need a binary version of Frame
>for each workstation that is going to use it, just for a "server" machine
>somewhere on the network.  The "clients" (again, my knowledge of X is limited)
>are programs that only provide user-interface support.  The clients draw what
>the server tells them to and sends input events back to the server...

Well, no, X programs are not distributed network applications, at least in
the fashion that I know that term.  For those kind of applications, you'll
need something like the ISIS Distributed Programming Environment developed
here at Cornell which allows multiple processes on multiple machines in a
heterogenous network to act as a single "group" program (end of shameless
plug--my current project is an X Window System-based performance tool for
ISIS.)  In the usual case, the application runs entirely on one host
machine.  The server is not considered part of the application, since that
is implemented once by the workstation vendor.  This is not to say that
X applications can't be distributed, though (such as my program.)

[...]
>The notion of "server" and "client" are reversed in X to what I think of
>them as.  A server, to me, is a program on a machine dedicated to doing
>a specific application (like E-Mail or FileSharing).  A client, to me,
>is a program run on people's workstations that talks to the server.  The
>reversal in terminology doesn't confuse me, though...

As for the terms "client" and "server", according to the original model
I learned at Berkeley, the "server" provides services to multiple
"clients".  Only "clients" initiate the connection, never the other way
around.  This implies that while the system is up, servers are always
waiting for a connection, whereas clients don't.  The usual guide is that
the resource that must be shared is operated as the server, but it is
not always easy to classify things.

According to the X Window System model, the service is the screen,
keyboard, mouse, graphics facilities, and the graphics processing power.
For each set of the above, there is only one X server program running
providing access through the X protocol for multiple client programs.
From your description of FrameMaker, the model is indeed "turned around",
in that applications are "computation servers", and the workstations are
"display clients."  However, X Window System applications aren't written
as two programs like Framemaker (if I'm interpreting you correctly), since
all applications have the operational parts of the GUI contained within
them.  Both application models have their advantages and disadvantages.

>There is no rule in networking that says that the client and server can't
>be located on the same physical machine, either...

True, but then I did imply that (the "local" and "UNIX domain" connections
I mentioned are used only when the client and server are on the same
machine.)

>The notion of "server" and "client" are reversed in X to what I think of
>them as.  A server, to me, is a program on a machine dedicated to doing
>a specific application (like E-Mail or FileSharing).  A client, to me,
>is a program run on people's workstations that talks to the server.  The
>reversal in terminology doesn't confuse me, though...

(See above.)

[...]
>It is nice to add a layer on top of network protocols like this, but it
>still doesn't change the fact that the network is being used to do distributed
>processing.  That is all I was trying to say.  The talk here was that the
>Mac and PC have their own flavors of X-style applications, while the Amiga
>doesn't, and that resource sharing is the meat and potatoes of networking.
>In the PC and Mac networking universes (using your terminology), they have
>Database, Paint, and Word Processing clients that allow servers to act on
>the same documents in real time...

As I said before, not really.  The X server really doesn't participate
in "distributed processing" any more than does, say, a VT340 terminal.
I also don't dispute that fact that network applications exist for Macs
and PC while such Amiga- specific applications don't really exist yet.
I just wanted to clarify what exactly the X Window System is about and
to point out that there is nothing in the Amiga to preclude "X-style
applications", and that the native IPC and multitasking environment of
the Amiga actually makes the Amiga very attractive as an X Window System
platform.  That the Amiga doesn't have a standard network-independent
programming model of its own isn't any different from the situation with
Mac and IBM system.  I'm not familiar with the internals of the
applications you describe, but it appears that each application vendor
must supply a "display client" specific for his "application servers."
This is not the case with the X Window System.  All applications share
the same "display client."  If we adopt X Window System, we get all the
advantages of Mac and IBM network-independent applications plus the
advantage of access to all X Window System-based programs already out
there.

[...]
>I find this hard to swallow :)  I'd think that it might be relatively easy
>to port the GUI (server) portion of an APP to the Amiga, but porting the real
>guts of the application might be far from Easy.  Today, I know I can use
>X to run Frame FROM my Amiga, but I still need a network and a Sun (or
>whatever) to run the client binary...

That's why I said the "GUI" portion of the application is easy to port and
the OS-dependent part is another matter.  But something like the UNIX and
ANSI C libraries provided by SAS/C makes porting X applications to execute
ON the Amiga easier.  In fact, many of the X applications I can think of
should port with little difficulty.  The hard part is implementing the
X server and X libraries for AmigaDOS and, thanks to Dale Luck, that's
already done.

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (06/18/91)

In article <243@touch.touch.com> mikeh@touch.touch.com (Mike Haas) writes:

>I'm actually a little incredulous that networking wasn't considered more in
>the original amiga flavor...it was so far ahead in virtually every other
>aspect that industry computing requires.  Obviously, as an open system, it
>could be added at any time, but in some ways, it would have been much more
>important "out-of-the-box" than stereo sound or "genlock-ability" to the
>business community.  Folks go thru hoops implementing 3rd-party networking
>solutions on the PC, but they HAVE TO DO IT!  The mac gave it to them
>turnkey, with provision to switching to faster medium at the click
>of an icon (that's how you re-direct the appletalk protocols from the
>ho-hum native localtalk, 230kbps to, for example, ethernet at 10Mbps).
>In this respect, they have done a nice job.  (too bad the rest of the
>OS is so limiting).

I remember a rumor a few years back that CBM had bought the mask rights to
the 82586 Ethernet chipset.  This was before the A2000 came out.  If it is
true, it is a shame that they didn't design it right onto the motherboard...
CBM does own MOS Technologies, which makes its own chips.  Maybe CBM was
just trying to become a source for the chip...