[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Hi Capacity Floppies & Ami [Was Re: Give the Amiga Some Cred

Harvey_Taylor@mindlink.bc.ca (Harvey Taylor) (06/19/91)

In <1991Jun17.205807.13064@news.iastate.edu>, taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu
                                                        (Marc Barrett) writes:
|In <30189@know.pws.bull.com>, ai065@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Thomas Hill)
|writes:
|>
|>   Over the past few months I've noticed a trend in "complaint messages" from
|>Amiga users. It seems that the usual style of these messages is to bash the
|>Amiga for lacking certain features that other computers "now have", yet this
|>logic is not always correct. Let's take a few examples here...
|>
|>High Density Disk Drives- How many complaints have you heard from Amiga users
|>about this? The drives do exist for the Amiga (AE and Commodore's new one)

    There is another option.

|   My complaints with Commodore with respect to high-density floppy drives
|have to do with the stupid way Commodore got the drives to work on Amigas
|(slowing down the drive motor to allow the Paula chip to keep up?  Give
|me a break!), and the fact that they waited four years to do it.

    Yeah that's pretty klunky alright.

Then in <1991Jun18.121129.28202@news.iastate.edu>, taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu
(Marc Barrett) writes:
|   [...]
|   A problem with Commodore's solution is the we are locked into only
|being able to use the specially modified drives produced only by Commodore.

    Yeah, but there are other solutions. I have the TEAC FD-235JS SCSI Floppy
 on my system. This gives me 2.88M & 1.44 M capacities. It works with the
 CrossDOS MsdosFileSystem too. At approx US$200, this drive is a viable
 alternative.
    -het

    PS.
    I wonder why nobody has stuck a generic floppy controller chip on a board
 and written a driver... Seems like a natural.

    "I do not agree with a word you say,
     but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

 Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
 uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
            a186@mindlink.bc.ca

easton@zds-oem.zds.com (Jeff Easton) (06/20/91)

In article <6369@mindlink.bc.ca> Harvey_Taylor@mindlink.bc.ca (Harvey Taylor) writes:

[...]

>    Yeah, but there are other solutions. I have the TEAC FD-235JS SCSI Floppy
> on my system. This gives me 2.88M & 1.44 M capacities. It works with the
> CrossDOS MsdosFileSystem too. At approx US$200, this drive is a viable
> alternative.
>    -het
>
>    PS.
>    I wonder why nobody has stuck a generic floppy controller chip on a board
> and written a driver... Seems like a natural.

  I was wondering this myself, until I realized that most generic floppy
controller chips dont contain a FIFO.  This could be a big problem in
the Amiga.  When a data transfer is started, the data streams off the
floppy at a fixed rate.  If the CPU isnt there to catch it, (off
multitasking somewere else) data will be lost.  Adding a FIFO'ed
floppy controller would help because now the controller chip can buffer
some of the bytes until the CPU can service it.  The same problem
is showing up in EISA machines, when a bus master takes over the bus
for so long, the system misses data on the floppy controller.

  One way to solve this on the Amiga is to use a dedicated microcontroller
and a dual ported RAM design,  much like the Commodore 7 port serial
card works.  This is beyond most of the hacker type projects.

> Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions

        Jeff Easton               Zenith Data Systems
     // Systems Engineer
   \X/  easton%zds-oem@caspian.cs.andrews.edu
	easton@andrews.edu
   What?  Preemptive Multitasking in only 256K of RAM?  :^)  :^)

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) (06/21/91)

Harvey_Taylor@mindlink.bc.ca (Harvey Taylor) writes:
>    PS.
>    I wonder why nobody has stuck a generic floppy controller chip on a board
> and written a driver... Seems like a natural.

How about, Why didn't AE do this? Their use of a 1/2 speed drive, and sales of
these drives validated their use in the minds of others that might have been
looking at a more costly in the short term solution...I wasn't on the net when
AE's drives came out...Did anyone attack them then? Why attack Commodore now
that they are following the lead of others in their market?

-- C-UseNet V0.42e
 Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
 P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis
 Sterling Heights, MI  48311-0353              Complete Amiga Support
 UUCP: uunet!umich!vela!sycom!rkushner     (We are not satanic, just NUTS!)
  If Americans only cared about their Government as much as their SPORTS!!