[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Playground for Futility

tak@amix.commodore.com (Kevin Takacs) (06/11/91)

        I didn't see it mentioned anywhere -- what's the winners' prize?
I'm just assuming for all this frothing and foaming at the keyboard there
must be at least a few grand at stake.  I mean, why else would otherwise
intelligent people degrade themselves by getting into what is basically a
"my computer is better than your computer" fight?

        I'm not trying to piss on anyone's corn flakes with this message.
I realize I don't have to scan this group if I'm not interested in
its content.  But that's the thing!  I swear, I read the messages in this
group with one hand over my eyes, the fingers spread just enough to observe
what resembles a three ring circus of immaturity.  I'm intrigued with
comp.sys.amiga.advocacy the same way "professional" wrestling intrigues
me -- I can't believe people get seriously involved in it.

        Perhaps this group should be renamed "comp.sys.amiga.insecurity,"
or if you prefer (I'm not taking sides) "comp.sys.mac.insecurity."  Why
waste band with such exercises in futility?  Does anyone actually think
they can convince the other side that they're wrong?  Who will admit to
spending a few thousand dollars on the "wrong" computer system.  You all
know the other side won't budge, so you're actually doing all this to
reassure yourselves of your computer purchasing decissions.

        But I guess this, too, is a waste of KB.  Most of the regulars
here are far too addicted to the flame-drug to listen to reason and give
up before they become hard-core junkies.

Instead, Why Not Have a Cream Soda or a Cheese Sandwich?
--Tak

PS:  I'd be willing to wager all the Mac advocates have wet dreams about
     Amigas and all the Ami-smoochers secretly and shamefully read
     MacWorld.

----------
Kevin Takacs

UUCP: uunet!cbmvax!amix!undrground!tak
Internet: undrground!tak@amix.commodore.com

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (06/11/91)

undrground!tak@amix.commodore.com (Kevin Takacs) writes:

>PS:  I'd be willing to wager all the Mac advocates have wet dreams about
>     Amigas

  You lose your bet on this poster...  I only have wet dreams about
Harris Nighthawks, and the Hurricane!  :-)

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
Murphy's Law of Intelism:  Just when you thought Intel had done everything
possible to pervert the course of computer architecture, they bring out the 860

ortmann@plains.NoDak.edu (Daniel Ortmann) (06/11/91)

I, for one, read advocacy because its hysterical!  (Once in
awhile I even learn something.)

Hit 'k' if it gets too serious.

ortmann@plains.NoDak.edu (Daniel Ortmann)

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (06/11/91)

In article <T7Rc41w164w@undrground.UUCP> undrground!tak@amix.commodore.com (Kevin Takacs) writes:

>        Perhaps this group should be renamed "comp.sys.amiga.insecurity,"
>or if you prefer (I'm not taking sides) "comp.sys.mac.insecurity."  Why
>waste band with such exercises in futility?  Does anyone actually think
>they can convince the other side that they're wrong?  Who will admit to
>spending a few thousand dollars on the "wrong" computer system.  You all

In many cases it isn't a matter of convincing people which is the better
machine.  There is quite a bit of misunderstanding on the part of some of
the participants of both sides of the conversation.  Anyone who takes the time
to look for the facts behind the flames will pick out lots of good
information.

lmbailey@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Laurana Bailey) (06/12/91)

So? Whats your point? ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

Laurana
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
|Just another lemming...        | Yet another Amiga maniac set loose   |

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) (06/12/91)

Quoted from <T7Rc41w164w@undrground.UUCP> by undrground!tak@amix.commodore.com (Kevin Takacs):

> what resembles a three ring circus of immaturity.  I'm intrigued with
> comp.sys.amiga.advocacy the same way "professional" wrestling intrigues
> me -- I can't believe people get seriously involved in it.

    Aha, so this article of yours is a joke! The .advocacy group exists
    to move machine/machine stuff out of the other .amiga newsgroups.

    Machine/machine stuff is a reality of electronic life. The most
    informative stuff I've read about other systems has usually been
    the result of machine/machine discussions.

>      Amigas and all the Ami-smoochers secretly and shamefully read
>      MacWorld.

    Amigans aren't Ami-smoochers. And what is MacWorld? :)

--
*** John Bickers, TAP, NZAmigaUG.        jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz ***
***         "Endless variations, make it all seem new" - Devo.          ***

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (06/21/91)

In article <4372.tnews@templar.actrix.gen.nz> jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) writes:
>Quoted from <T7Rc41w164w@undrground.UUCP> by undrground!tak@amix.commodore.com (Kevin Takacs):
>>      Amigas and all the Ami-smoochers secretly and shamefully read
>>      MacWorld.
>
>    Amigans aren't Ami-smoochers. And what is MacWorld? :)

Last time I read MacWorld was for info on that new Mac peripheral which does
all those whiz-bang video effects.  You know, the one Todd Rundgren used to
create the "Change Myself" video on his Mac.  ;^)

--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
I loved the peace and solitude | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and