[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Mac OS

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) (06/12/91)

There was a blurb on CNN Headline News yesterday about IBM and Apple having
secret meetings, and that Apple will be porting the Mac OS over to the IBM
PS/2, etc, etc, etc..

Does this mean Microsoft has been booted??

Who would buy an Mac for 2x the cost, when they can have an cheap 386 box that
runs the same OS and the same quality of software would be avaiable?

Just something doesn't sound right, since there is really nothing that the PC
couldn't do running the System 7 than the Mac could running System 7, and the
price difference is so great(You can get a 386 and VGA for alot less than an
68020 LC), it just doesn't sound right....And more like a stock boosting
article...And a way to kick Microsoft in the butt to wake them up. They said
in the blurb that Mac is looking for new outlets of their system software, but
it seems that is their advantage to selling machines, it comes with the system
software....Is there enough money to be made selling system software to
justify porting it over? Why would they need IBM's blessing to do so anyways?
Would there be enough money to be made on system software alone, where they
could even stop producing computers and just sell system software if it comes
down to that?

Anyone heard anything more on this? The whole thing sounded kinda flaky to me.

-- C-UseNet V0.42d
 Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
 P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis
 Sterling Heights, MI  48311-0353              Complete Amiga Support
 UUCP: uunet!umich!vela!sycom!rkushner     (We are not satanic, just NUTS!)
            DISCLAIMER: I say what I mean, and mean what I say.

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (06/13/91)

In article <rkushner.7063@sycom.UUCP> rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:
>There was a blurb on CNN Headline News yesterday about IBM and Apple having
>secret meetings, and that Apple will be porting the Mac OS over to the IBM
>PS/2, etc, etc, etc..

Yeah, there was an interview of an Apple rep a couple days ago discussing the
Apple-IBM talks.  This week's Computerworld talks about it too.  Apparently
Apple is considering IBMs RISC technology and IBM may be interested in some of
Apple's software tech.

This seems to sync with Apple's reported research into a hardware independent
OS.

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (06/13/91)

In article <rkushner.7063@sycom.UUCP> rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:
>There was a blurb on CNN Headline News yesterday about IBM and Apple having
>secret meetings, and that Apple will be porting the Mac OS over to the IBM
>PS/2, etc, etc, etc..

Maybe IBM wants to get away from the clones and into market which will not
have so much price competition.  Price was never something IBM could call a
selling point.  They have a name they can sell if they get away from the
IBM clones.  Just a guess???

                                  NCW

murphy@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy) (06/14/91)

In article <rkushner.7063@sycom.UUCP> rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:
>There was a blurb on CNN Headline News yesterday about IBM and Apple having
>secret meetings, and that Apple will be porting the Mac OS over to the IBM
>PS/2, etc, etc, etc..
>

>Anyone heard anything more on this? The whole thing sounded kinda flaky to me.

There was a news piece on National Public Radio's All Things Considered
program sometime last week.  The gist of the piece was that IBM recognizes
that Apple's OS holds some great promise for their machines, while IBM's
expertise in chip production could help out Apple in advancing their
products.  The person who was interviewed was from the Brookings Institute.

Maybe we could call this the crippled leading the crippled? 8-)

Bill Murphy
murphy@physics.purdue.edu

West Lafayette, IN:  Where progress takes a back seat to tradition.

jleonard@pica.army.mil (06/15/91)

In article <rkushner.7063@sycom.UUCP> rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:
>There was a blurb on CNN Headline News yesterday about IBM and Apple having
>secret meetings, and that Apple will be porting the Mac OS over to the IBM
>PS/2, etc, etc, etc..

It sounds like IBM is playing headgames with Microsoft.

|Jeff Leonard                              Usenet: jleonard@pica.army.mil |
|     My strength is as the strength of ten because my code is pure.      |

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (06/15/91)

>>There was a blurb on CNN Headline News yesterday about IBM and Apple having
>>secret meetings, and that Apple will be porting the Mac OS over to the IBM
>>PS/2, etc, etc, etc..
>
>It sounds like IBM is playing headgames with Microsoft.

Today's news is that Business Week magazine got tips that:

 "... chipmaker Motorola Inc., under license from IBM, will make
 RS/6000 chips for Apple Computer Inc. and also will be a second
 supplier for IBM.
 "... sources close to both companies say IBM also will gain access
 to a new Apple operating system code-named Pink, intended to run
 on Apple and IBM computers."

kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (06/17/91)

In article <56352@nigel.ee.udel.edu> jleonard@pica.army.mil writes:
>In article <rkushner.7063@sycom.UUCP> rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:
>>There was a blurb on CNN Headline News yesterday about IBM and Apple having
>>secret meetings, and that Apple will be porting the Mac OS over to the IBM
>>PS/2, etc, etc, etc..
>
>It sounds like IBM is playing headgames with Microsoft.

According to BusinessWeek of June 24, 1991:

1. Apple would get the RS/6000 chip set.

2. IBM would get a new Apple OS code-named "Pink", which could easily run
   on Apple and IBM machines.

3. Motorola would produce RS/6000 chips for Apple, and become a second
   source supplier to IBM.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) (06/21/91)

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:
>In article <56352@nigel.ee.udel.edu> jleonard@pica.army.mil writes:
>>In article <rkushner.7063@sycom.UUCP> rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) wr
>>>There was a blurb on CNN Headline News yesterday about IBM and Apple having
>>>secret meetings, and that Apple will be porting the Mac OS over to the IBM
>>>PS/2, etc, etc, etc..
>>
>>It sounds like IBM is playing headgames with Microsoft.
>
>According to BusinessWeek of June 24, 1991:
>
>1. Apple would get the RS/6000 chip set.
>
>2. IBM would get a new Apple OS code-named "Pink", which could easily run
>   on Apple and IBM machines.
>
>3. Motorola would produce RS/6000 chips for Apple, and become a second
>   source supplier to IBM.

Sounds like a sweetheart deal...But will Pink run on low end machines? This is
very vauge though...

You said RS/6000 chip set...Is it one chip, or many?

-- C-UseNet V0.42e
 Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
 P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis
 Sterling Heights, MI  48311-0353              Complete Amiga Support
 UUCP: uunet!umich!vela!sycom!rkushner     (We are not satanic, just NUTS!)
Somewhere, out there in space, is the doomsday rock. It traveling at 16
miles per second towards earth, and it will collide, someday, experts say.
If you don't support Dan Quayle and the Space Program, we're all doomed!
And I was worried about the Sun going out to lunch.....

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (06/22/91)

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:

>rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:
>>
>>According to BusinessWeek of June 24, 1991:
>>
>>1. Apple would get the RS/6000 chip set.
>>
>>2. IBM would get a new Apple OS code-named "Pink", which could easily run
>>   on Apple and IBM machines.
>>
>>3. Motorola would produce RS/6000 chips for Apple, and become a second
>>   source supplier to IBM.
>>

>Sounds like a sweetheart deal...But will Pink run on low end machines? This is
>very vauge though...

  Re the RS/6000.  I, along with most others [according to the press] would
be very surprised if Apple doesn't go with the 88110 for their first RISC
machine.
  If you believe the rumours, Pink is designed to run on any architecture,
although my guess is that it will presuppose virtual memory/memory protection
support in hardware... so that only counts 68020+68851 or 80386 or any RISC
chip and above.
   By the time Pink gets out [who knows? 93?], a 68020 probably will be
the low end of the market.

>You said RS/6000 chip set...Is it one chip, or many?

  I think it's about five separate chips.  Something in the order of
4 million transistors.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
       "Apes evolved from creationists" - seen on a bumper sticker.

dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) (06/22/91)

Responding to the following:

>According to BusinessWeek of June 24, 1991:
>
>1. Apple would get the RS/6000 chip set.
>
>2. IBM would get a new Apple OS code-named "Pink", which could easily run
>   on Apple and IBM machines.
>
>3. Motorola would produce RS/6000 chips for Apple, and become a second
>   source supplier to IBM.

From what I understand, Pink and Blue were two sets of features that were
going to be implimented into System 7.0. Because of time constraints,
only the Blue features were implimented. System 7.0 is a total rewrite
made mainly to be portable to other hardware. Pink features were slated
to be added in an upcoming release. This release will be made on both the
Macintosh and IBM systems. I was TOLD that it would only run on 486 systems!
Obviously, that'd be pretty stupid, since the 486 only adds 6 new instructions,
2 of which are just combinations of previous instructions. I'd assume it'd
run on 386 and higher systems.