[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Raw end of the deal...

krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au (06/21/91)

  Can anyone in Australia or the US, or anywhere for that matter,
explain to me why only the US received the Power Up offer?

Alex Krooglik			krooglik@ecr.mu.OZ.AU
Chem Eng Stude, and proud of it
		"Only wankers insist on wasting time writing a totally
		 meaningless message at the bottom of their .sig*"

In article <9117223.15634@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU> krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au writes:

>  Can anyone in Australia or the US, or anywhere for that matter,
>explain to me why only the US received the Power Up offer?

	Because Commodore is different in each nation. There is a
totally different marketing company for each country, each free
to make its own policies, marketing decisions, and pricing.
	-- Ethan

"...Know-Nothing-Bozo the Non-Wonder Dog, an animal so stupid that it
had been sacked from one of Will's own commercials for being incapable
of knowing which dog food it was supposed to prefer, despite the fact
that the meat in all the other bowls had engine oil poured all over it."

fletcher@netcom.COM (F. Sullivan Segal) (06/22/91)

In article <9117223.15634@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU> krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au writes:

>  Can anyone in Australia or the US, or anywhere for that matter,
>explain to me why only the US received the Power Up offer?

Commodore International is actually made up of many different sub-companies,
one for each country.  Each of the companies pays into the common pool, and
can draw resources from it, but basically they are all still independent.

For example, while the A2000 was being developed in the U.S. (actually as
more of an A500), Germany was working on an entirely different concept.
When the A500 design was complete in the U.S, it ended up being pretty
trivial to add some slots to it and create the A2000B.  Since the mother
board was designed for mass marketing (i.e: A500) the A2000B came in at
a considerably lower PPU than the A2000A, and ended up being adopted by
all of the subsidiaries.

Marketing is another story.  Each company decides for itself how to market
its machines.  Commodore U.S.A has long labored under accusations of
inadequate advertising and sloppy support.  From what I hear, Germany
has much stronger advertising, and somewhat stronger sales.  I have no
idea what australia is doing.  The last reports I heard from down there
were: At least a couple of months behind everyone else, no customer support,
and basically no familiarity with the computers by any of the upper
management.  In other words, it is like Commodore U.S.A about three or
four years ago.  Hopefully they will shape up.

--
                           -F. Sullivan Segall
 _

robart@agora.rain.com (Robert Barton) (06/22/91)

In article <9117223.15634@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU> krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au writes:

>  Can anyone in Australia or the US, or anywhere for that matter,
>explain to me why only the US received the Power Up offer?

  Because Commodore USA only operates in the USA?

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) (06/22/91)

In article <9117223.15634@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU> krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au writes:

>  Can anyone in Australia or the US, or anywhere for that matter,
>explain to me why only the US received the Power Up offer?

 Commodore US policies are independent of all other countries. In some cases
this can work against your country but in some cases it can work for you.
For example, in Canada the warrantee for Amiga computers (and all peripherals)
has always been one year parts and labour. If an authorised service centre is
not local to you you can drop it off at the place of purchase and they ship it
to the nearest service centre, no charge to you. In the US, the warrantee on
Amigas was originally ninety days. It was not until sometime after the release
of the Amiga 2000 (something like a year after) that the warrantee in the US
was bumped up to one year.

 When Canadians heard of the "Power Up" program they complained to their
dealers (me) and to Commodore directly. We dealers in turn complained to
our reps at Commodore. Commodore Canada then made their own version of the
"Power Up" program, called the "Trade Up" program. If Commodore in your
country does not hear from you then will not bother spending the time to
create such a program. NOTE: because each country is finanically independent
of other countries (speaking in terms of the Commodore company) they cannot
always impliment the same programs as another country.

>Alex Krooglik			krooglik@ecr.mu.OZ.AU
>Chem Eng Stude, and proud of it
>		"Only wankers insist on wasting time writing a totally
>		 meaningless message at the bottom of their .sig*"

--
Darrell Grainger % Comspec Communications Inc., Toronto, Ontario, Canada
darrell@comspec  % Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own.