[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Another Amiga reorganization needed?

sutela@polaris.utu.fi (Kari Sutela) writes:
> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>> Before going public, why not chat in the Amiga
>> groups for a bit about doing something about
>> c.s.a.programmer, which is still _much_ too big.
>> Does any clever soul see a reasonably clean
>> partitioning of the current traffic?

> This is not reasonable,

I'll say!  ;-)

> but how about:

> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.applications

> Discussions about programmer related applications:
> editors, compilers etc. Questions like: "Which
> C-compiler/assembler is the best?" should go here.
> Reports of bugs found in compilers should be
> posted here, too (preferably, they should be sent
> to the technical support people of the product).
> Perhaps discussion on technical documentation
> (like the RKMs) could go on here.

Let's try c.s.a.p.tools, c.s.a.docs; might as well
break it into digestable bits.

> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.programming

> Real programming related discussion goes on here.
> Things like: "How do I do X?" etc. A terrible
> group name, though.

c.s.a.p.methods, or c.s.a.p.assist, perhaps?

> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.asm

> Assembly related programming. There currently
> seems to be quite a lot of people who would read
> this group. Those of us (me, for example) who
> don't know a LEA from a CMP could unsubscribe to
> it without regrets.

Well, if we go language oriented, we need to cope
with C, Modula-2, Fortran, Lisp/Scheme/Xlisp, Draco,
AmigaBASIC, AREXX, and probably several other popular
Amiga languages that don't come to mind immediately.

I don't terribly much mind doing this for assembly,
which seems to be a bit of a special case, but the
other less popular languages would work better as
mailing lists, like the current fairly low traffic
but high value
m2 mailing list.  In fact, I'd like to see proponents
of the Lisp family, Draco users, and Fortran users
get mailing lists set up and the mail servers posted
with the comp.sys.amiga.introduction FAQ and the big
list published for all of Usenet as well.  Any users
of those languages with capability to put up a mail
server, drop me a line and I'll put you in touch with
the m2 list maintainer.  It might be fun to have a
c.s.a.p.langs and a one way echo from the mail lists
to the group so those who care to could follow the
traffic, but it would stay sorted out for the list
users.

AmigaBASIC is a bit of a puzzle; it is worthless for
the A3000 due to "yet another Microsoft programming
design blunder(tm)", but there is a lot of code
around and probably lots of people still using it,
though the traffic about it is minor; for now, say a
mailing list if anyone cares to, and toss it in with
the other low use languages.  Ditto ABASIC, only more
so.

AREXX is another special case, and probably deserves
a group of its own, too.

> And my favourite:
> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.I.don't.know.where.to.p-
> ost.so.I'll.post.here.dammit

I like it, I like it; the special characters might
be a bit of a problem, but ...

> Questions like: "Is there a program which does
> X?", "Program X does Y, I want it to do Z.
> HELP!!!!", "Program X gurues. HELP!!!". A group
> for people who think that if a question concerns a
> program, it is related to programming.

The c.s.a.introduction group is supposed to do this;
it needs to get used more.  Start redirecting the
posters of this kind of questions there (in EMAIL, for
Klortho's sake!)

> Nah, it would never work. The current size of
> c.s.a.programmer is a bit too much for me, though.
> Perhaps I should begin applying KILL files to this
> group, too.

That also works, but you miss a lot that casually
mentions what your are trying to avoid in a posting
you'd really like to read. I find making an
anti-KILL file works better; put in all the folks
you like to follow, mark their stuff saved for
later, kill all the rest, and then yank the marked
stuff forward to read. If you use trn (or perhaps
nn), you can read progenitor articles even if you've
killed them if the answers look interesting. Of
course, per Kant's Categorical Imperative, it's
worth noting that this fails miserably if everyone
does it.

Well, the lack of response almost made me give up on
this whole concept of another reorganization, but my
two weeks of cat sitting that's kept me off the net
a lot is up tomorrow, and you've started things off,
so I'll try a little harder.  I'd still like to talk
about this stuff in c.s.a.advocacy, but I am reminded
most of the readership avoids that group like the
plague, so let's crosspost to .misc and .programmer a
bit until we get chased out, to try to draw a crowd.

In my never ending quest to keep the c.s.a.* hierarchy
flat, looking back over this, how about these for a
starting set of names to pick apart?

        c.s.a.prog-advice (or prog-methods)
        c.s.a.prog-asm
        c.s.a.prog-arexx (or just let comp.lang.rexx
                          carry the amiga stuff, too)
        c.s.a.prog-langs (and/or prog-misc)
        c.s.a.prog-docs
        c.s.a.prog-system (and/or prog-scripts)
(or     c.s.a.system, Dan's proposal, though I like to
                      think of this as programming too)
        c.s.a.prog-tools

That gives seven to nine groups, about the right
number of chunks to make the current traffic
bearable; are those groups such that some people
would not at all read some of them (the goal of a
split, of course), or does that just subdivide
without removing the need to follow all subgroups, a
fairly worthless exercise?

I'd even add a c.s.a.prog-intro, if necessary.

While I'm doing this, let's pull the idea of
chopping up c.s.a.hardware back into the fire and
the crosspost list, too. Last time, I proposed a
.design, .standard, .3rd-party, and .hackers
subdivision; this gets uglier, 'cause "hardware"
doesn't have a pretty abbreviation, but how about
these as flat subdivision names?

        c.s.a.hdwr-design
        c.s.a.hdwr-standard  (or hdwr-stock)
        c.s.a.hdwr-3rd-party (whew, just made 14 characters)
        c.s.a.hdwr-hacking

Again, vanilla questions about connecting a disk
driver and hard disk and drive software together
belong in c.s.a.introduction, not .hardware or its
proposed replacements, but it will take some firm
guidance (in EMAIL) to make that happen.

What have I missed here or done wrong, or are the
solder freaks happy with things as is despite the
volume?

Any stuff still left in c.s.a.misc that constitutes
enough traffic to deserve a home of its own, and
isn't just missing its proper group now? Besides
comp.sys.amiga.paging.dave.haynie.help.help.help,
I mean?  [Sorry, Dave, couldn't resist.]

                                                           /// It's Amiga
                                                          /// for me:  why
Kent, the man from xanth.                             \\\///   settle for
<xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>   \XX/  anything less?
--
Convener, COMPLETED comp.sys.amiga grand reorganization.
Here we go again.

xanthian@zorch.sf-bay.org (Kent Paul Dolan) wrote:

> Well, if we go language oriented, we need to cope
> with C, Modula-2, Fortran, Lisp/Scheme/Xlisp,
> Draco, AmigaBASIC, AREXX, and probably several
> other popular Amiga languages that don't come to
> mind immediately.

I left out C++; imminent brain death detected.

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) wrote:

> How about
> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.{asm,arexx,c,misc}? That
> covers the big three, and leaves a place for
> everything else. I would have included m2, but you
> said that the mail list isn't very active, and I
> don't know how it compares to the various basics.

Only real problem I have with "by language" split is
that you'd probably divide the traffic 10-5-80-5,
and 80% of comp.sys.amiga.programmer is still too
damn big.

I'm still looking for a good breakdown; I don't much
like mine, or any I've seen yet either; on the other
hand, I like some of the stuff proposed for .hardware
quite a bit.  I need more help for ways to filter off
stuff for .misc that is big enough to constitute a
separate focus of traffic, but isn't just misplaced
for a group that already exists.

I'd be happy with even a four way split for
c.s.a.programmer, but only if the smallest part of
the split was 20% or more; anyone have any ideas or
willing to do a subject analysis?  What I'd _really_
like is a set of "get this stuff out of my face"
proposals like the c.s.a.p.asm one Kari gave above,
for substantial chunks of traffic folks would rather
not read.

While it's on my mind, is there any support for
trying to move alt.sys.amiga.uucp{,patches} into the
mainstream hierarchy, or is the alt distribution
sufficient for such a narrow focus?

After being scolded twice in email, I'll concede
that c.s.a.prog-* and c.s.a.hdwr-* are ugly enough
names that c.s.a.programm{er,ing}.* and
c.s.a.hardware.* should be the choices, and I'll
concede defeat on trying to keep c.s.a.* a flat
hierarchy.

Also, Peter da Silva would like to pull the Amiga
futures discussion out of .advocacy, where it drowns
in 90% or so flames; I'm willing to do it iff the
group is moderated; otherwise the flames will just
follow the discussion. Peter says two kids and work
overload keep him unavailable; any volunteers to
moderate c.s.a.futures if we make one? Mike, if
you're back from Usenix, do you still want a group
of your own?

Another fairly coherent proposal received in email
[heavily edited and mildly commented:]

Darren Ewaniuk <ewaniu@ee.ualberta.ca> wrote:

[about my hardware split:]

> In my opinion (I'm an EE specializing in hardware
> design) these splits aren't logical at all.
> c.s.a.h.design is about the only logical split
> from this, and there is low traffic on this. And
> imagine the strain that poor Dave Haynie would be
> under, as he'd practically be running this group!
> c.s.a.problems would remove the need for your
> 3rd-party and standard groups.

> About the best split here would be to split off
> the problems section (My brand x HD controller
> won't work with rev y.y motherboard with brand z
> memory board. What can I do?) into c.s.a.problems
> or c.s.a.h.problems (although I prefer
> c.s.a.problems)

Actually, I like this a lot; a split into
comp.sys.amiga.hardware.{misc,problems} would
probably be close to 50-50, and might be "good
enough" folks seeking (or willing to offer) help
could be one place, folks just chatting about
hardware issues in the other, and this may well
provide two groups that can mostly ignore
one another.

> In short, my proposals are:

> New groups:

> comp.sys.amiga.problems             - catch all for hardware and otherwise
> -or-                                  generic software problems.
> comp.sys.amiga.hardware.problems    - If you only want hardware problems.

I much prefer the second; see below.

> comp.sys.amiga.system               - Good idea for kickstart/WB/system
>                                       discussion.

> Split from comp.sys.amiga.programmer:

> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.c         - C specific discussion.
> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.asm       - Assembly specific discussion.
> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.problems  - Programming problems with system
>                                       routines or other languages.

This strongly suggests c.s.a.hardware.problems, just
to keep it from getting filled with "miscellaneous"
problems by folks who don't notice the
c.s.a.programmer.problems group.

> Keep comp.sys.amiga.hardware and
> comp.sys.amiga.programmer intact.

Sort of; they'll both end up with .misc tags for
reasons of net neatness.

> These will still be the 'catch all' type of
> groups, but will have their volume cut a bit by
> splitting off some identifiable traffic into
> comp.sys.amiga.problems,
> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.problems,
> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.c, and
> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.asm.

I'm still worried about the size of the .c portion,
but let's hear what other people think.

> [permission granted to summarize and post if any
> of these make sense]

Enough to be worth presenting publically. Any input
on what to do with C++? Quite a bit of traffic now,
likely to grow fast, as it is a popular language,
and we finally have an up-to-date implementation
available.

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun18.092655.12436@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>and 80% of comp.sys.amiga.programmer is still too damn big.

	Personally, I find the number of postings to be just fine.  How big
is "too big"?  3 posts a day?  30?  300?

	If you must break up .programmer, how about:

		 c.s.a.programmer.novice	For beginner questions
		 c.s.a.programmer.wizards	For really in depth stuff
		 c.s.a.programmer.misc		For everything else

>any volunteers to moderate c.s.a.futures if we make one?

	I didn't like this name back before the reorganization, and I still
don't like it.  What's it mean?  "Futures" makes me think of "pork futures"
or some such money-related stuff.
	If people want to talk about Commodore's future, how about
comp.sys.amiga.speculation, or even comp.sys.amiga.thefuture?

	c.s.a.hardware.problems does sound really good, though.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

jpc@fct.unl.pt (Jose Pina Coelho) (06/19/91)

In article <8737@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU
(Dan Barrett) writes:

	   If you must break up .programmer, how about:

		    c.s.a.programmer.novice	For beginner questions
		    c.s.a.programmer.wizards	For really in depth stuff
		    c.s.a.programmer.misc		For everything else

Won't work.
Every novice thinks the problem he just stump into is meant for a
wizard, so csap.wizards will be full and the other two will have
residual traffic.

Better divide things by language (C, ASM, REXX, MISC)
or HW/SWspecifics
(Diskette, HardDisk, Video, Mouse, Keyboard, Sound, AmigaDOS, Hack)

--
Jose Pedro T. Pina Coelho   | BITNET/Internet: jpc@fct.unl.pt
Rua Jau N 1, 2 Dto          | UUCP: ...!mcsun!unl!jpc

Sex is not the answer.  Sex is the question.  "Yes" is the answer.

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (06/19/91)

In article <JPC.91Jun18184110@terra.fct.unl.pt> jpc@fct.unl.pt (Jose Pina Coelho) writes:
>Won't work.
>Every novice thinks the problem he just stump into is meant for a
>wizard, so csap.wizards will be full and the other two will have
>residual traffic.

	It seems to work in the comp.unix hierarchy:

		comp.unix.wizards
		comp.unix.questions

That's where I go the idea.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

rjc@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (06/19/91)

  I vote we split up c.s.a.advocacy.

  c.s.a.advocacy.mb-futures
To be moderated by MB for posts like:
"Let's face it, the Amiga will NEVER have a 32-bit clipboard
because Commodore marketing has a secret illuminati conspiracy
to oppress clipboard lovers everywhere."

  c.s.a.advocacy.blazemonger.blazemonger.blazemonger
Dicusss the newest blazemonger release.

  c.s.a.advocacy.mac-vs-amiga
"Anything less than 640x480 B&W is TOTALLY inadequate. No,
anything less than 1024x768x8bit is totally inadequate. No,.."

  c.s.a.advocacy.next-vs-amiga
"Look, once you add a $10,000 NeXT Dimension card RSN, the NeXT
totally beats the Amiga's blitter "

  c.s.a.advocacy.cray-vs-amiga
"The Amiga  will never suceed since the A500 obviously cannot
compare to the Cray-III or the CM2"

  c.s.a.advocacy.marketing
"Commodore marketing sucks"

  c.s.a.advocacy.japan-vs-commodore
	""  ""  .cdtv-vs-cdi-vs-cbtv
"Commodore is doomed, the multi-jillion dollar Japanese corperations
have discovered the games market, now not a single Amiga will ever be
sold."
"It is a scientific fact that HAM is not sufficient to display
digitized images. Laboratory tests on animals prove that humans cannot
recognize images unless they are 1024x1024x24 bit."

  c.s.a.advocacy.assembly-vs-all-other-languages-are-inadequate
"You don't understand, you see, if you take over the machine, you
can use absolute short addressing mode and get a %.008 speedup
increase, and compiled languages obviously cannot produce hello_world
programs as small as assembly thereby making them inferior."

  c.s.a.advocacy.source
"Just because developers have source code to the OS doesn't mean
they will rely on side-effects of functions. Just because developers
in the past relied on the side-effect of the chipbase being in a5 coming
from an int-handler, or relied on  a1 not being trashed, doesn't mean
they will still do it. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot."

and don't forget comp.sys.amiga.programmer.algol

--
/ INET:rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu     *   // The opinions expressed here do not      \
| INET:r_cromwe@upr2.clu.net  | \X/  in any way reflect the views of my self.|

In article <8737@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
> 		 c.s.a.programmer.novice	For beginner questions
> 		 c.s.a.programmer.wizards	For really in depth stuff

Wizards sounds too unixy. Gurus would be better.

How about .programmer.tech? (ducks to avoid thrown tomatoes).

> 	If people want to talk about Commodore's future, how about
> comp.sys.amiga.speculation, or even comp.sys.amiga.thefuture?

Not about commodore's future, but more specifically about possible enhancements
to the Amiga (and maybe even to brainstorm projects). How about:

	comp.sys.amiga.developments
	comp.sys.amiga.ideas
	comp.sys.amiga.brainstorming
	comp.sys.amiga.bluesky
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'   <peter@sugar.neosoft.com>.
                   'U`    "Have you hugged your wolf today?"

Jose Pina Coelho:
> csap.wizards will be full and the other two will have
> residual traffic.

Dan Barrett:
> 	It seems to work in the comp.unix hierarchy:

Actually, the big problem is that it doesn't.

> 		comp.unix.wizards
> 		comp.unix.questions

Yep, and comp.unix.wizards is just full of novice questions.
--

In article <1991Jun18.224232.8686@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>   I vote we split up c.s.a.advocacy.

>   c.s.a.advocacy.mb-futures
>   c.s.a.advocacy.blazemonger.blazemonger.blazemonger
>   c.s.a.advocacy.mac-vs-amiga
>   c.s.a.advocacy.next-vs-amiga
>   c.s.a.advocacy.cray-vs-amiga

You forgot:
	c.s.a.next-versus-mac
	c.s.a.next-versus-pc
	c.s.a.mac-versus-pc

For all of the spinoff discussions...
--

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.224232.8686@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@wookumz.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>  c.s.a.advocacy.marketing
>"Commodore marketing sucks"

I don't get it, we need a group to *discuss* this?  Anybody actually
disagree with this one?

Why stop there?

 c.s.a.advocacy.management
"Commodore management sucks"

 c.s.a.advocacy.policy
"Commodore policy 'X' sucks"

See, gets real tedious.  Becomes a way to flaunt ones thesaurus capabilities,
as in:

 "The backward, blunt, deficient, dense, dim-witted, dull, dumb, feeble-minded,
  idiotic, moronic, obtuse, retarded, simple[-minded], slow, stupid, thick,
  uneducated, unintelligent, demi-human-like creatures who pass themselves off
  as 'management' in Commodore have succeeded only in implementing foolish,
  futile policies and engaging in ill-advised, pointless, profitless and vain
  ventures."

Or, perhaps, exercises in artsy flaming:

 "Pausing to contemplate tonight's sunset, I was struck in the way that
  nature often duplicates the inner soul of man -- for just then the
  thought struck me that the brilliant red streaks running across the
  sky were patterned after many a fanciful fantasy of bludgeoning the
  brains of the management and associated marketroids of Commodore.

  Such fantasies find no recourse in truth, for no modern instrument
  has yet detected the two shared neurons responsible for their
  illustrious, if not infamous, failed procedures."

Or, maybe, Enquirer-type posts:

 "The fewer than half a dozen neurons shared by all Commodore upper
  management were found floating nude engaged in oral intercourse with
  remains of Natalie Wood. See insert on page 12 along with conclusive
  evidence of woman's six inch baby Elvis."

 "Elvis seen posing as chief Cmdre marketroid."

Geez, man, maybe management would come here and discuss their innermost
 fantasies:

 "We pay our CEO more than you do."

 "Our stock routinely triples in value."

Or their innermost thoughts:

 ""

Hmm....

Maybe we could set up a mailing list.  Tell you what, you send me your best
degrading statement, and I'll publish a book entitled either "Truth in
Corporate Management", or "Three Thousand Degrading but True Things About
Your BOSS".  Maybe I'll market it twice under both.  Sounds like a real
win.

>  c.s.a.advocacy.japan-vs-commodore
>	""  ""  .cdtv-vs-cdi-vs-cbtv

No way, mon.  CBTV rules.

[Strangely, I feel much better now. ;) ]

David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu
	2.0 :: "You can't have your cake and eat it too."
Also try c186br@holden, c260-ay@ara and c184-ap@torus

In article <1991Jun18.235656.23130@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <8737@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>> 		 c.s.a.programmer.novice	For beginner questions
>> 		 c.s.a.programmer.wizards	For really in depth stuff
>
>Wizards sounds too unixy. Gurus would be better.

	A-ha!  You fell into the same trap that I did at first. :-)
It's important to remember that "guru" has a special connotation when
Amigas are being discussed....

	Ah, I can see it now:

:Article 487 of comp.sys.amiga.programmer.gurus
:From: klotch@brap.feem.pu.edu
:Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.programmer.gurus
:Subject: re: Help!
:
:In article <928398129387192837>, foo@bar writes:
:>00000002.4F000023?
:
:	0000000A.11AE5946!

		:-)

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.092655.12436@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) wrote:
>
>> How about
>> comp.sys.amiga.programmer.{asm,arexx,c,misc}? That
>> covers the big three, and leaves a place for
>> everything else. I would have included m2, but you
>> said that the mail list isn't very active, and I
>> don't know how it compares to the various basics.
>
>Only real problem I have with "by language" split is
>that you'd probably divide the traffic 10-5-80-5,
>and 80% of comp.sys.amiga.programmer is still too
>damn big.
>
>I'm still looking for a good breakdown; I don't much
>like mine, or any I've seen yet either; on the other
>hand, I like some of the stuff proposed for .hardware
>quite a bit.  I need more help for ways to filter off
>stuff for .misc that is big enough to constitute a
>separate focus of traffic, but isn't just misplaced
>for a group that already exists.
>
>I'd be happy with even a four way split for
>c.s.a.programmer, but only if the smallest part of
>the split was 20% or more; anyone have any ideas or
>willing to do a subject analysis?  What I'd _really_
>like is a set of "get this stuff out of my face"
>proposals like the c.s.a.p.asm one Kari gave above,
>for substantial chunks of traffic folks would rather
>not read.

What about breaking things down in terms of c.s.a.p.theorythis,
c.s.a.p.theorythat, etc.  Now what theorythis and theorythat really are is
something to decide.  It seems to me that c.s.a.p gets quite a few "HELP me
this code doesn't work" as well as several long discussions about the proper
way this or that should be implemented, etc.

>While it's on my mind, is there any support for
>trying to move alt.sys.amiga.uucp{,patches} into the
>mainstream hierarchy, or is the alt distribution
>sufficient for such a narrow focus?

If a general reorginization is going to occur then I'd like to see the uucp
groups moved under c.s.a.  The main reason being that the distribution would
probably be better than the current alt groups.  After all, doesn't Matt
maintain a mailing list that passes messages to alt.sys.amiga.uucp* on to
those whose sites don't get the alt groups?  I guess a question is how many
people are actually on that list...

>Also, Peter da Silva would like to pull the Amiga
>futures discussion out of .advocacy, where it drowns
>in 90% or so flames; I'm willing to do it iff the
>group is moderated; otherwise the flames will just
>follow the discussion. Peter says two kids and work

I, too, think that c.s.a.futures would be a good idea.  And I do realize the
problem with flames.  However, for a group that could potentially have a fair
number of messages, how much of a slowdown would having a moderator be?

>> comp.sys.amiga.problems             - catch all for hardware and otherwise
>> -or-                                  generic software problems.
>> comp.sys.amiga.hardware.problems    - If you only want hardware problems.

While my initial reaction was to just have c.s.a.problems, thinking about it
a bit it seems to me that one really should have this split up.  After all,
in misc and apps one tends to find quite a few software problems croping up.
Thus, keeping them split would be helpful, at least to the knowledgeable folk
who might be able to answer the hardware problems and not the software ones.
Now, the question is, where does one put the problems group for software?  Or
do we create c.s.a.problems.{hardware|software|programming|???}?  The latter
is something I don't particularily care for, myself.

-=> CAW

Christopher A. Wichura                Multitasking.  Just DO it.
caw@miroc.chi.il.us  (my amiga)                          ...the Amiga way...
u12401@uicvm.uic.edu (school account)

 barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
> jpc@fct.unl.pt (Jose Pina Coelho) writes:
>> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:

>>> If you must break up .programmer, how about:
>>> c.s.a.programmer.novice     For beginner questions
>>> c.s.a.programmer.wizards    For really in depth stuff
>>> c.s.a.programmer.misc       For everything else

>> Won't work.

>> Every novice thinks the problem he just stump
>> into is meant for a wizard, so csap.wizards will
>> be full and the other two will have residual
>> traffic.

> It seems to work in the comp.unix hierarchy:

> comp.unix.wizards
> comp.unix.questions

> That's where I go the idea.

Wow did you miss out on a _great_ flamewar in
news.groups! Comp.unix.wizards is the best newbie
magnet on the net, and functions just as Jose
suggests. It got replaced by comp.unix.internals, to
try to cure the problem, and it became obvious that
it also had been attracting another class of poster,
the poseur unix wizard who needed an audience too
ignorant to catch his gaffes. The poseurs screamed
for their stage back, ran a really bogus vote, and
got it. It went right back to being rife with newbie
questions and bogus/trivial answers.

Kent, the man from xanth.

 caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) writes:

> While my initial reaction was to just have
> c.s.a.problems, thinking about it a bit it seems
> to me that one really should have this split up.
> After all, in misc and apps one tends to find
> quite a few software problems croping up. Thus,
> keeping them split would be helpful, at least to
> the knowledgeable folk who might be able to answer
> the hardware problems and not the software ones.
> Now, the question is, where does one put the
> problems group for software? Or do we create
> c.s.a.problems.{hardware|software|programming|???-
> }? The latter is something I don't particularily
> care for, myself.

Well, problems with _using_ (store bought or hand
around) software should be in c.s.a.introduction or
c.s.a.applications; the problems with _writing_
software belong in c.s.a.programming.problems, and
the problems with hardware belong in
c.s.a.hardware.problems, IMHO.  Like you, I don't
think a c.s.a.problems.* subhierarchy is the way to
go.

                                                           /// It's Amiga
                                                          /// for me:  why
Kent, the man from xanth.                             \\\///   settle for
<xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>   \XX/  anything less?
--
Convener, COMPLETED comp.sys.amiga grand reorganization.
Here we go again.

 caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) writes:

> I, too, think that c.s.a.futures would be a good
> idea. And I do realize the problem with flames.
> However, for a group that could potentially have a
> fair number of messages, how much of a slowdown
> would having a moderator be?

Probably not as bad as the current slowdown to
counter offensive flamers that sidetracks the
discussion on a frequent basis. There's really not
much use pulling the material out of .advocacy if
the quality of the discussion can't be raised a
_lot_, and moderation looks like the way to go.

Other comments on this issue?

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) (06/24/91)

xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

> caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) writes:
>
>> I, too, think that c.s.a.futures would be a good
>> idea. And I do realize the problem with flames.
>> However, for a group that could potentially have a
>> fair number of messages, how much of a slowdown
>> would having a moderator be?
>
>Probably not as bad as the current slowdown to
>counter offensive flamers that sidetracks the
>discussion on a frequent basis. There's really not
>much use pulling the material out of .advocacy if
>the quality of the discussion can't be raised a
>_lot_, and moderation looks like the way to go.
>
>Other comments on this issue?

Alot of Amiga UUCP and newsreaders do not understand how to easily post to an
moderated newsgroup. They are not as bright as CNews is, so you'll be getting
alot of "confused" people that only carry comp.sys.amiga#? that are new to the
net(last 6 months) and will not have software capable of mailing a post to the
moderator automatically...Plus on a BBS, imagine the end user, not knowing he
has to MAIL to moderator, but instead posts or followups with the confused
software, and the item never make it anywhere...PostNews in AmigaUUCP just
doesn't understand moderated groups...So you'll get more messages from -MB-
and less from others...

Do followups have to go through a moderator?? Poor guy...

-- C-UseNet V0.42e
 Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
 P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis
 Sterling Heights, MI  48311-0353              Complete Amiga Support
 UUCP: uunet!umich!vela!sycom!rkushner     (We are not satanic, just NUTS!)
          No blood for oil! Raising C.A.F.E. to 40MPG is just that!

 rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:
> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>> caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) writes:

>>> I, too, think that c.s.a.futures would be a good
>>> idea. And I do realize the problem with flames.
>>> However, for a group that could potentially have
>>> a fair number of messages, how much of a
>>> slowdown would having a moderator be?

>> Probably not as bad as the current slowdown to
>> counter offensive flamers that sidetracks the
>> discussion on a frequent basis. There's really
>> not much use pulling the material out of
>> .advocacy if the quality of the discussion can't
>> be raised a _lot_, and moderation looks like the
>> way to go.

>> Other comments on this issue?

> A lot of Amiga UUCP and newsreaders do not
> understand how to easily post to an moderated
> newsgroup. They are not as bright as CNews is, so
> you'll be getting a lot of "confused" people that
> only carry comp.sys.amiga#? that are new to the
> net (last 6 months) and will not have software
> capable of mailing a post to the moderator
> automatically...Plus on a BBS, imagine the end
> user, not knowing he has to MAIL to moderator, but
> instead posts or followups with the confused
> software, and the item never make it
> anywhere...PostNews in AmigaUUCP just doesn't
> understand moderated groups

Well, things aren't quite that bad; if you post to
the group, it gets intercepted (by your site or one
downstream) and mailed to the moderator
automatically. The arguments you put forth are
arguments against _any_ moderated groups, and in
fact moderated groups work quite well on the net,
despite the wide variety of posting software and
posters' skills, so while it may be a problem for
the individual poster to climb the learning curve,
moderation is not a problem for the net overall.

> So you'll get more messages from -MB- and less
> from others...

I hope not; one of the jobs of a moderator is to
_refuse_ to post off track garbage of the typical
-MB- generic sort.

> Do followups have to go through a moderator?? Poor
> guy...

Well, yes, since tossing out inappropriate followups
is the gist of the job. And yes, you won't see me
volunteering for the job -- I lose my temper too
easily -- but there are lots of folks who do it for
the glory or just the chance to be of service. I had
twice as many moderator volunteers as I had groups
to moderate, last go around, so there are folks out
there who don't mind doing the work in exchange for
a better functioning newsgroup, in an area where
they have a special interest.

Kent, the man from xanth.