[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Commodore Australia

keith@actrix.gen.nz (Keith Stewart) (06/26/91)

In article <145@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au> billy@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (Jeff Coleman) writes:
> In <1991Jun23.164844.24626@wehi.dn.mu.oz> baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>

> >> Yes, you can't depend on just marketers. But they *must* be doing something
> >> right. How do they sell the 500 so cheaply down under? Equivalent 286 boxes
> >> have ruinous luxury taxes attached.
>
> >I'm not sure what you're talking about. I can't get anyone to buy amigas
> >here because an A500 with monitor (only 1/2 Mb ram) is only $1-200 cheaper
> >than a Mac with 2Mb RAM and a 40Mb HD.
>
> we are talking $800 for an a500 , another $500 for a 1084
> you can get a 286 with a 40mb HD for about $1500 including monitor....
> so where are these ruinous taxes???
> all prices are high

CBM NZ (who I understand is now part of CMB Australia) has just dropped
the price of A2630 boards from NZ$3200 (I know don't laugh cry instead)
to $NZ 2100. I suppose thats about AUS$1500. Is that about right?

Guess whos ordered one. Looks like their strategy worked :-)

Keith stewart ( the Original President of the Original Dave Haynie Fan club)