[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Comparisonism

In article <1991Jun22.140127.19580@news.iastate.edu> taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:

>   Let's take the MAC LC as an example.

I think the A3000/16 is closer than Marc would like you to think; I don't know
the lastest list price, but it's around $2999.  But anyway, I happend to notice
this chart here.  In the typical comparison chart fashion, it shows just what
the author wants you to see.  Here's Marc's chart:

>Feature Description |   Macintosh LC   |    Amiga 2000HD
>Hard Disk Size      |     40M          |       40M
>Memory              |     2M           |       1M
>Max Resolution      | 584x386/640x480* |      704x480
>Color Palette       |     16 Million   |       4096
># of on-screen      |                  |
>  colors at max.res |  256/32,768*     |        16
>Interlaced?         |        NO        |        YES
>CPU                 |    68020 @ 14Mhz |     68000 @ 7Mhz
>
>   *With extra VRAM ($300), the MAC LC can display 32,768 colors at once
>at 584x386 or 256 colors at once at 640x480.

Now here's mine:

Feature Description |   Macintosh LC   |    Amiga 2000HD
Hard Disk Size      |     40M          |       50M
Memory              |     2M           |       1M
Display Coprocessor |     No           |       Yes
Graphics Coprocessor|     No           |       Yes
OS Requirements     |     2M           |       512K
SCSI Controller     |   8 bit PIO      |    16 bit DMA
Free drive bays     |     None         | 1 3.5", 1 5.25"
Free Slots          |    1 PDS         | 1 Coprocessor, 4 Amiga,
                    |                  |    4 ISA, one video.
Video Compatible    |     No           |       Yes
Toaster Compatible  |     No           |       Yes
Keyboard            |    Extra         |     Included
Casework            |  Flimsy Plastic  | Rugged, manly steel
Lemmings?           |     No           |       Yes
UNIX Upgrade?       |     No           |       Yes
Haynie's signature  |     NO!          |       YES!

Anyway, you get the point.  Both are true, both are equally meaningful,
both are equally misleading.

>   I hope it is obvious now that Commodore desperately needs something
>to compete adequately against systems like the MAC LC.

On the basic point of more computer for less money, I have to agree.  The
A3000 was our answer to the perception that the A2500 didn't have enough bang
per buck.  I think there is room for a better mid-range machine (I only work
on the high end stuff, so don't come after me for such a puppy, though).
	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.