[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] BobOS

amiga@uhunix2.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (ftp Amiga Manager) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun22.075918.27367@neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:

[...]
>  Something I'm sure Apple realises, given their rumoured development of
>a non-Mac compatible OS (the legendary "Pink" which has been making the
>news rounds lately).

What I want to know is how hard Dave H. is lobbying the software crew for
a CBM countermeasure to "Pink".  Something we can call "Slack" maybe?  :-)

--
  // uhunix amiga archive | amiga@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu | ftp: ftp.hawaii.edu
\X/  "just another peon"  | baron@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu |      128.171.7.7

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (06/25/91)

amiga@uhunix2.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (ftp Amiga Manager) writes:

>In article <1991Jun22.075918.27367@neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:
>>
>[...]
>>  Something I'm sure Apple realises, given their rumoured development of
>>a non-Mac compatible OS (the legendary "Pink" which has been making the
>>news rounds lately).

>What I want to know is how hard Dave H. is lobbying the software crew for
>a CBM countermeasure to "Pink".  Something we can call "Slack" maybe?  :-)

  I don't know how many software engineers Commodore has, but rumour has it
that there are over 100 at Apple working on Pink.  In fact, there's an
entire building on the Apple campus devoted to "Pink Engineering", according
to a friend of mine.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"And in the death, as the last few corpses lay rotting in the slimy
 thoroughfare, the shutters lifted in inches, high on Poacher's Hill..."

taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (06/25/91)

In article <13616@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, amiga@uhunix2.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (ftp Amiga Manager) writes:
>In article <1991Jun22.075918.27367@neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:
>>
>[...]
>>  Something I'm sure Apple realises, given their rumoured development of
>>a non-Mac compatible OS (the legendary "Pink" which has been making the
>>news rounds lately).
>
>What I want to know is how hard Dave H. is lobbying the software crew for
>a CBM countermeasure to "Pink".  Something we can call "Slack" maybe?  :-)

   Probably not at all.  Dave Haynie would have to lobbie Commodore's
weak-brained managers, not the software crew.  The software crew write only
what they are told to write by the managers.

   With Commodore's weak R&D investments, I'd say that Commodore already has
their hands full with RTG/DIG, support for any future chipsets, etc..  For
Commodore to produce a countermeasure for Apple's "PINK" would require
Commodore to multiply the amount they are currently investing in R&D by a
factor of about 10, and I don't see this happening.

>--
>  // uhunix amiga archive | amiga@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu | ftp: ftp.hawaii.edu
>\X/  "just another peon"  | baron@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu |      128.171.7.7

 / Marc Barrett  -MB- | BITNET:   XGR39@ISUVAX.BITNET        /
/  ISU COM S Student  | Internet: XGR39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU   /
\        The great thing about standards is that          /
 \       there are so many of them to choose from.       /

amiga@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (ftp Amiga Manager) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.125454.28337@news.iastate.edu> taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
<In article <13616@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, amiga@uhunix2.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (ftp Amiga Manager) writes:
<>In article <1991Jun22.075918.27367@neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:
<>>
<>[...]
<>>  Something I'm sure Apple realises, given their rumoured development of
<>>a non-Mac compatible OS (the legendary "Pink" which has been making the
<>>news rounds lately).
<>
<
<   Probably not at all.  Dave Haynie would have to lobbie Commodore's
<weak-brained managers, not the software crew.  The software crew write only
<what they are told to write by the managers.
<
<   With Commodore's weak R&D investments, I'd say that Commodore already has
<their hands full with RTG/DIG, support for any future chipsets, etc..  For
<Commodore to produce a countermeasure for Apple's "PINK" would require
<Commodore to multiply the amount they are currently investing in R&D by a
<factor of about 10, and I don't see this happening.
<
Evan Torrie also replies:
<  I don't know how many software engineers Commodore has, but rumour has it
<that there are over 100 at Apple working on Pink.  In fact, there's an
<entire building on the Apple campus devoted to "Pink Engineering", according
<to a friend of mine.

*sigh*  I guess the the references to The Church of the Sub-Genius (and
Dave's affinity for it) were too obscure.  Somehow though, serious responses
to my mildly unflattering jibe make it all the funnier...

--

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (06/28/91)

taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>   Probably not at all.  Dave Haynie would have to lobbie Commodore's
>weak-brained managers, not the software crew.  The software crew write only
>what they are told to write by the managers.

Funny, when I was in West Chester a little bit ago, I didn't see Marc there.
I guess they must keep him in a special room somewhere.  I didn't see any
dumb rich guys with whips telling everybody what to do, either.  Maybe it was
all just a show to convince me that they were a neat group, but once I'm
there, THE CHAINS GO ON!   Nyahh, hah, hah!

I start July 8th, BTW - and have never met a group of people I wanted to
work with more.  Thanks for giving me this chance, guys!

--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

In article <13616@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> amiga@uhunix2.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (ftp Amiga Manager) writes:
>In article <1991Jun22.075918.27367@neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:

>>  Something I'm sure Apple realises, given their rumoured development of
>>a non-Mac compatible OS (the legendary "Pink" which has been making the
>>news rounds lately).

>What I want to know is how hard Dave H. is lobbying the software crew for
>a CBM countermeasure to "Pink".

Really.  I thought it was a joke, or perhaps the work of the CON, when I
first read that Apple had an OS project called "Pink".  But actually, it's
beginning to make more sense than I could have imagined a week ago.

>Something we can call "Slack" maybe?  :-)

Indeed....
	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.

In article <25735@well.sf.ca.us> farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) writes:
>Funny, when I was in West Chester a little bit ago, I didn't see Marc there.
>I guess they must keep him in a special room somewhere.

No, he's never been here.  But we'd find a real special room for him.

>I didn't see any dumb rich guys with whips telling everybody what to do,
>either.  Maybe it was all just a show to convince me that they were a neat
>group, but once I'm there, THE CHAINS GO ON!   Nyahh, hah, hah!

Yeah, I meant to thank you for coming by.  It's nice to be unshackled every
six months or so.... :-)

>I start July 8th, BTW - and have never met a group of people I wanted to
>work with more.  Thanks for giving me this chance, guys!

Congrats on getting the job.  Hope you don't like to sleep much.

	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.