[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Who cares if its made in USA?

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (06/24/91)

In article <1991Jun23.203549.24627@wehi.dn.mu.oz> baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
[At the risk of starting an international flame war]

>There has recently been a number of postings decrying the use of
>foreign parts and the sale of foreign electronic goods in the USA.
>
>I'm a little surprised this is necessary, but I'll do it anyway...
>
>This is an international forum. Many of these comments have been
>racist, bigotted and inflammatory. It is quite inappropriate to post
>the sorts of nationalistic mindless drivel that we have been
>innundated with.
>
>There are very good reasons _not_ to buy USA made goods. They are
>often more expensive, poorer quality, less advanced, worse designed,
>worse supported, and less well distributed. "Buy American" campaigns
>just help to support badly functioning companies which cannot
>compete in the open market.

  Most of this is pure bunk, except for "more expensive","less well
distributed", and "worse supported". American products are not of
inferior design, advancement or quality. There wouldn't be so much outcry
if some markets were "really" open.  Why isn't there American outcry
against Germany? Because the difference between Germany and Japan is that
American products can be sold in Germany, whereas Japan it's a different
story. I'm surprised you even made this statement. I recently watched
a show on PBS called "mini-dragons" that detailed the outcry against
Japan in Austrailia for taking jobs away from workers. The showed footage
of Austrailian workers protesting and throwing stones at a Japanese
ship coming into port with consumer goods. They also showed Japanese
rice farmers "destroying" a Chrysler because they didn't want foreign
goods in the the Japanese market. The Japanese society still seems
"closed" against outsiders. Examples were given in this show about
how Filipino immigrants to Japan were not allowed in Japanese restaurants
and stores because they didn't want foreigners in their country. A
Japanese "hard copy" type show was shown in which the number one problem
discussed was the 400,000 foreigners in Japan being a "problem". It seems
the Japanese society thinks its sucess is built upon the idea of racial
purity. We have racism in American too, but not of this scale, when
400,000 foreigners are considered a problem. I think American should
give up on pentrating the Japanese market and concentrate on Europe like
Commodore does.

(if you want more proof, just read on up studies done on Japanese
"dumping" in American to eliminate competition, or how Japanese
corperations gang up on new American startup companies in Japan and
push them out. [I recall one incident where an American car company
was prevented from buying a factory for prodution in Japan])

  We American's have our problems too, but it all isn't just whining.
We are the largest debtor nation on Earth, and guess who our
number one loaner is?

--
/ INET:rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu     *   // The opinions expressed here do not      \
| INET:r_cromwe@upr2.clu.net  | \X/  in any way reflect the views of my self.|

taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (06/24/91)

In article <1991Jun23.201535.22178@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>, rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>  Most of this is pure bunk, except for "more expensive","less well
>distributed", and "worse supported". American products are not of
>inferior design, advancement or quality. There wouldn't be so much outcry
>if some markets were "really" open.  Why isn't there American outcry
>against Germany? Because the difference between Germany and Japan is that
>American products can be sold in Germany, whereas Japan it's a different
>story. I'm surprised you even made this statement. I recently watched
>a show on PBS called "mini-dragons" that detailed the outcry against
>Japan in Austrailia for taking jobs away from workers. The showed footage
>of Austrailian workers protesting and throwing stones at a Japanese
>ship coming into port with consumer goods. They also showed Japanese
>rice farmers "destroying" a Chrysler because they didn't want foreign
>goods in the the Japanese market. The Japanese society still seems
>"closed" against outsiders. Examples were given in this show about
>how Filipino immigrants to Japan were not allowed in Japanese restaurants
>and stores because they didn't want foreigners in their country. A
>Japanese "hard copy" type show was shown in which the number one problem
>discussed was the 400,000 foreigners in Japan being a "problem". It seems
>the Japanese society thinks its sucess is built upon the idea of racial
>purity. We have racism in American too, but not of this scale, when
>400,000 foreigners are considered a problem. I think American should
>give up on pentrating the Japanese market and concentrate on Europe like
>Commodore does.

   This is not always true.  Strong, determined companies can succeed in
Japan.  The latest issue of U.S. News and World Report has an article on
one company in particular that has been enormously successful in competing
with the Japanese on their own turf: Motorola.

   I suggest you read this article.  It is very detailed, and is a very
upbeat article about how determined companies can succeed in Japan.  The
article also goes on to give reasons why American companies fail to
succeed in Japan, and many of them are basic reasons.  For instance, some
companies just keep a small fraction of their workforce in Japan, and
wonder why they do not succeed there.  (If you expect to succeed in Japan,
you have to have a percentage of your workforce there equal to the
percentage of your total sales that you expect to be from Japan).

   The article finally describes the rewards of going through the effort
of doing business in Japan.  Basically, it says that if you can succeed
in Japan, the rest of the world is a cakewalk.

>>>Regards Alan
>

>--
>/ INET:rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu     *   // The opinions expressed here do not      \
>| INET:r_cromwe@upr2.clu.net  | \X/  in any way reflect the views of my self.|
>\ UUCP:uunet!tnc!m0023        *                                              /

 / Marc Barrett  -MB- | BITNET:   XGR39@ISUVAX.BITNET        /
/  ISU COM S Student  | Internet: XGR39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU   /
\        The great thing about standards is that          /
 \       there are so many of them to choose from.       /

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) (06/24/91)

baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>There has recently been a number of postings decrying the use of
>foreign parts and the sale of foreign electronic goods in the USA.

If we loose the electronics market, we're done...Finished...BK will even
close..We'll all be moving to Canada in droves to get jobs!! I have considered
it myself...

>I'm a little surprised this is necessary, but I'll do it anyway...
>
>This is an international forum. Many of these comments have been
>racist, bigotted and inflammatory. It is quite inappropriate to post
>the sorts of nationalistic mindless drivel that we have been
>innundated with.

Humm, and the Japanese not allowing US companies to sell US grown RICE in
Japan doesn't come from mindless protectionist drivel? If anyone is racist,
its the Japanese. The Japanese automakers have about 8 assembly plants in
America, and employ 97% whites. Less than 3% blacks and hispanics. And in the
United States blacks make up 13% of the population. Sounds racist to me...and
Mazda must have all the blacks, because they are the only union plant and the
only plant near urban America.

It's just that you just don't know, you don't know that you don't know, and
you don't want to know...

>There are very good reasons _not_ to buy USA made goods. They are
>often more expensive, poorer quality, less advanced, worse designed,
>worse supported, and less well distributed. "Buy American" campaigns
>just help to support badly functioning companies which cannot
>compete in the open market.

Well, lets see Japan open up thier markets to US rice, autos, and other
products that they keep out. We'll see who wins in an open market. Chrysler
next year will start up production of RIGHT HAND DRIVE Jeep's that will be
built in Toledo, Ohio, with exporting to Japan in mind...We'll see what
happens...

Everyone throw out their GE LightBulbs, they are trash...they are worse
designed, less advanced, and less distributed than Japanese lightbulbs. Time
to trash US Robotics modems, the are poorer quality than Koren ones..Better
stop buying Hayes...Stop buying Honda Civics, they are American Built...See
how silly a blanket statements like that look?

Interesting that you say US products aren't as good. My friend owns a research
company that basically does quality studies and customer surveys and I
remember the WORST BUILT AMERICAN FORD was the Mustang, built in Dearborn,
Michigan. It scored miles ahead in quality than the Australian designed and
built Mercury Capri, which is based on a Mazda 323 platform...The Ford Escort
which was engineered in the US, and is built in Wayne, Michigan, is also based
on a Mazda 232 platform. The Ford Escort scored very high in quality surveys,
in comparison to the Mustang. If you take the same original platform and
company X(Ford Australia) builds shit from it, and company Y(Ford North
America) does a world class job with it, who's more advanced? (Ford owns 20%
of Mazda, and trades platforms with them). I use Ford as an example, because
they try to build plants, R&D centers, and headquarters in the countries that
they do business in, and try to produce a majority of products they sell in a
certain market in that market...(Plus I have alot of data here)

Japanese companies dump products in America. Take the Toyota Previa, it sells
in Japan for US$22,300. It gets unloaded in Long Beach, California, and the
price now becomes US$15,200...Doesn't the boat ride cost anything??? It
should be subject to 25% duty as well, since its a truck, but because
Japanese spend $100 million a year lobbying the government, so it only pays
the duty of that of a car(2.5%). How can a functioning company compete against
this!??!?!?(Nonfunctioning companies would be out of business by then) Let me
put it this way, if a Japanese company reverse engineered the Amiga 500,
built it, and sold it in Japan for $1500, and then shipped it to the United
States and sold it for $250, how would you feel then? Its just unfair...And
they learned from MSX that the only way to crack the US computer market is to
build what Americans are allready buying cheaper...

When a company sells a product for less than it costs to make, or less than
consumers in the home market pay for it, it is dumping, and very illegal...

If the computer industry doesn't watch out, the same thing will happen to
them, or it allready hasn't. All the low cost clones are now "Samsung",
"Daewoo", "Goldstar". I do not know if they are dumped here though, I have no
figures avaiable on computers...But it starts with low cost products, and then
next you know they are taking on the most expensive of products where the real
money is made(Apple Macintosh type computers). Hatachi has shown a great
interest in keeping the Motorolla 68030 out of the US computer market...

I would suspect a Japanese Macintosh clone shortly, since I was told by a guy
from Apple they do alot of business there, and after checking out his claim,
it is 100% correct. The Japanese grease more hands than Apple does, so I
wouldn't expect anything to be done about it legally either...While they are
trying to grab the whole Apple Macintosh market in the US, they will raise
the price of RAM chips, video chips, etc, that Apple buys from Japanese
companies, since most Japanese companies work together without the
restrictions of anti-trust, and can do this. And when these prices go up,
EVERYONE around the world will be hurt, because the only place you can get
RAM from is from Japan now...

-- C-UseNet V0.42e
 Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
 P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis
 Sterling Heights, MI  48311-0353              Complete Amiga Support
 UUCP: uunet!umich!vela!sycom!rkushner     (We are not satanic, just NUTS!)
          No blood for oil! Raising C.A.F.E. to 40MPG is just that!

taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>   This is not always true.  Strong, determined companies can succeed in
>Japan.  The latest issue of U.S. News and World Report has an article on
>one company in particular that has been enormously successful in competing
>with the Japanese on their own turf: Motorola.

I have read about Motorola, I own one of their more expensive pagers...But
anyways, a pager is a totally different market than a computer or a car, which
every $30,000 Japanese car sold in America sucks $100,000 in filterdown money
out of the Midwest Economy. We can not take cars, trucks, or minivans to Japan
without getting $10,000 in taxes added onto them. Ever wonder about the budget
deficit in the United States?  Well, every US built car sold in the US,
Canada, Mexico, or Europe(Yes, Chrysler exports 50,000 cars a year to Europe
and is the number one exporter now) will put $6000 in taxes into Uncle Sam.
Every Japanese car brought in only generates $300 in taxes...What does that
do to the Econony? Totally screws it up....I read that if right now, we closed
the border to Japanese products, the government generate enough money in taxes
that would totally wipe out the entire deficit in a few years because of new
construction, new investment, etc, to start building everything here again...
They were talking about possiably $4 billion a month going into the econony
thats not there now..

Toys 'R' US fought for 28 years to get a store set up in Japan. Now come on,
thats totally outragous...The distribution network in Japan works on, ah, a
very tight knit group of people who allow or deny products being sold.

They want to export everything, and take in token amounts of products, just
enough to say, "We do not keep people out of this marketplace"

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) (06/24/91)

Quoted from <1991Jun23.201535.22178@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> by rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell):

> inferior design, advancement or quality. There wouldn't be so much outcry
> if some markets were "really" open.  Why isn't there American outcry

    From out here, the market looks very closed - pro the US and against
    Japan. A while back the Japanese were supposed to be "dumping" cheap
    RAM in the US - until the US put trade restrictions in place.

    But here, fairly close to Japan, if one wants to buy RAM the
    cheapest place to get it from appears to be through the US.

    Wierd.

> / INET:rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu     *   // The opinions expressed here do not      \
--
*** John Bickers, TAP, NZAmigaUG.        jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz ***
***         "Endless variations, make it all seem new" - Devo.          ***

peter@Sugar.NeoSoft.com (Peter da Silva) (06/24/91)

In article <rkushner.1725@sycom.UUCP> rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:
> Interesting that you say US products aren't as good. My friend owns a research
> company that basically does quality studies and customer surveys and I
> remember the WORST BUILT AMERICAN FORD was the Mustang, built in Dearborn,
> Michigan. It scored miles ahead in quality than the Australian designed and
> built Mercury Capri, which is based on a Mazda 323 platform...

You think you have union problems in the states, try Australia some time. The
unions basically run the country. The total population is 14 million, with an
economy about the size of Houston's (pop 3 million).

Bragging that US built cars are better than Australian built ones is like
bragging that the Amiga is better then the Atari.

Why don't you try comparisons with European Fords?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'   <peter@sugar.neosoft.com>.
                   'U`    "Have you hugged your wolf today?"

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) writes:
>Quoted from <1991Jun23.201535.22178@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> by rjc@geech.gnu.ai.m
>
>> inferior design, advancement or quality. There wouldn't be so much outcry
>> if some markets were "really" open.  Why isn't there American outcry
>
>    From out here, the market looks very closed - pro the US and against
>    Japan. A while back the Japanese were supposed to be "dumping" cheap
>    RAM in the US - until the US put trade restrictions in place.
>
>    But here, fairly close to Japan, if one wants to buy RAM the
>    cheapest place to get it from appears to be through the US.
>
>    Wierd.

IT IS CHEAPER to buy it from the US after it was dumped there...

Thing is, I hear that EVERYTHING is Japan is priced about 250% than it would
be in the United States. So if they did have an open market, they (The giant
Japanese corperate culture) will have to compete with products that could cost
250% less than theirs....They can't have that....

I talked to a guy from Japan that was working here for the Auto industry( I
did heating and cooling when the market was good so I met alot of people
from alot of places), he still said he plans on staying here because the cost
of living is so much less than back home...Where he couldn't afford a house..

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) (06/25/91)

peter@Sugar.NeoSoft.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <rkushner.1725@sycom.UUCP> rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) wri
>> Interesting that you say US products aren't as good. My friend owns a resear
>> company that basically does quality studies and customer surveys and I
>> remember the WORST BUILT AMERICAN FORD was the Mustang, built in Dearborn,
>> Michigan. It scored miles ahead in quality than the Australian designed and
>> built Mercury Capri, which is based on a Mazda 323 platform...
>
>You think you have union problems in the states, try Australia some time. The
>unions basically run the country. The total population is 14 million, with an
>economy about the size of Houston's (pop 3 million).

Well, I never visited Australia...Union city eh? As long as crime isn't
involved with the union, there is wrong with unions, they are the lesser of
two evils sometimes...Apple might become unionized from the way the paper is
talking...(I basically only see UAW around here, so I don't really know much
about the crooked ones, like Teamsters)..Detroit wouldn't exist in its current
form if the UAW never existed..We have the 4th largest concentration of wealth
in the United States according to a recent New York Stock Exchange survey.

>Bragging that US built cars are better than Australian built ones is like
>bragging that the Amiga is better then the Atari.

But the Amiga IS better ;-)

>Why don't you try comparisons with European Fords?

Ford of Europe doesn't import cars to the United States for sale.... I hear
they dropped the football on the new Escort for Europe though, sales are W-A-Y
down...So since they don't bring cars it the US market for sale, I can't find
any information on them(Ford Australia brings cars here, so I have the stats).
I took the worst built, lowest quality Ford, and compaired to what they are
bringing in. An unfounded statement was made that American products are always
worse than products not made in America...A blanket statement like this gets
blow away when I compair Aus Vs US...So someone shouldn't throw stones...

Europe is the toughest open market though, because they generally have very
well informed customers...Europe has made Chrysler the largest American
exporter($700++ million a year in sales of US built cars just in Europe)..It
took Chrysler 11 years to get their quality up enough for people in Europe to
even consider buying one...(BTW the sales in the US increased during most of
these 11 years that they didn't sell cars/trucks in Europe...1981 they sold
1,283K and in 1989 they sold 2,382K They doubled sales, mostly in trucks
though..) And its not just Chrysler USA that benifits from European sales,
Chrysler Canada also has a chunk of the European sales...Now Chrysler is
designing Jeeps just for Japan, England, and Australia, lets see what
happens when the tables are turned...I hear they have a partnership with Honda
to distribute Jeeps in Japan, so they will be the first low priced vehicles to
be distributed in Japan...

Does Commodore have a Japanese version of AmigaDOS??? If not, why not?! I bet
a $500 computer would sell VERY WELL in Japan...They are NTSC, they can use
the Toaster!!! We will show them what garbage MSX is! Is MSX still popular in
Japan? Apple is hitting the Japanese in DETROIT with the Japanese Macintosh
Operating System!! Hoping that when these people return to Japan they will
want Mac's there....LETS GET WITH THE GAME! There are 1,400 Japanese owned
factors in the United States and 200,000 Japanese working in the United
States....

-- C-UseNet V0.42e
 Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
 P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis
 Sterling Heights, MI  48311-0353              Complete Amiga Support
 UUCP: uunet!umich!vela!sycom!rkushner     (We are not satanic, just NUTS!)
                              DETROIT - NO WIMPS!

baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>Head hunting, product dumping, corporate takeovers, asset stripping, under
>selling, cornering, monopoly, circle agreements, controlling distribution
>lines, buying out unions etc is _what laissez-faire business is all about_.
>Sure its nasty, mean, rotten, cruel, heartless, and so on. But if I were

The biggest lie is right there, we don't have hands off in this country. We
have enviromental socialist going after corperate America, trying to destroy
everything that built this country. If they really want to go after polluters,
go after those evil Communists that destroyed Easter Europe's enviroment.. We
have a mixed economy... If we had government that helped industry like the
Japanese government does, you wouldn't be able to stop the United States....

We have alot of laws, such as anti-trust, enviromental issues, etc, that by
definition make laissez-faire business impossiable...And its not nasty, mean,
rotten, cruel, heartless, thats what the unions and the law are there for.. If
it was a totally free market, I could build the most nasty, dirty, wasteful
computer monitor for $50 that would radiate the people using it until they
would glow in the dark...Sure I wouldn't get UL approval, and that would be
reason enough alone for people not to buy it...But thats not the way it is...

I don't want closed markets, I want open markets, and let the best win. No
government involvement...No outragious tarrifs...

-- C-UseNet V0.42e
 Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
 P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis
 Sterling Heights, MI  48311-0353              Complete Amiga Support
 UUCP: uunet!umich!vela!sycom!rkushner     (We are not satanic, just NUTS!)
                I am from DETROIT, want to make something of it?

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gun Control is a firm grip) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.102852.29436@Sugar.NeoSoft.com> peter@Sugar.NeoSoft.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <rkushner.1725@sycom.UUCP> rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:
>> Interesting that you say US products aren't as good. My friend owns a research
>> company that basically does quality studies and customer surveys and I
>> remember the WORST BUILT AMERICAN FORD was the Mustang, built in Dearborn,
>> Michigan. It scored miles ahead in quality than the Australian designed and
>> built Mercury Capri, which is based on a Mazda 323 platform...
>
>You think you have union problems in the states, try Australia some time. The
>unions basically run the country. The total population is 14 million, with an
>economy about the size of Houston's (pop 3 million).
>
>Bragging that US built cars are better than Australian built ones is like
>bragging that the Amiga is better then the Atari.

Not when the Australian built car comes from the Mazda 323 platform <or is a
varient of it>

>Why don't you try comparisons with European Fords?

Ah, the Merkur cars. Anyone ever hear of the XR4Ti or Scorpio cars? Didnt sell
well in the US at all, were very unreliable according to CU.

>--
>Peter da Silva.   `-_-'   <peter@sugar.neosoft.com>.
>                   'U`    "Have you hugged your wolf today?"

PiRho- Because its Co-Ed!  Macintoshes should be accelerated at 32ft/sec^2
"You aint doing nothing positive, what do you have to say about yourself"
"You dont like how I'm living well Fuck you!"

In article <rkushner.1983@sycom.UUCP> rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:
>jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) writes:
>>Quoted from <1991Jun23.201535.22178@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> by rjc@geech.gnu.ai.m
>>
>IT IS CHEAPER to buy it from the US after it was dumped there...
>
>Thing is, I hear that EVERYTHING is Japan is priced about 250% than it would
>be in the United States. So if they did have an open market, they (The giant
>Japanese corperate culture) will have to compete with products that could cost
>250% less than theirs....They can't have that....

i would believe this. My sister is in the navy and went to Japan, "PI" <the
phillipenes (sp?) islands> among other ports in eastern asia during Westpack.
Anyway she found a JVC reciever in Japan for ~$280 US. In the PI it was $220.
I suppose here in NYC I could find it anywhere between $200-$350, depending on
where I looked and when.

Someone commented about the previa costing $7000 more in Japan than in the US.
Isnt this dumping, which is illegal???

peter@Sugar.NeoSoft.com (Peter da Silva) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.212249.24629@wehi.dn.mu.oz> baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
> You can choose: Socialism or free enterprise. But if you choose free
> enterprise, don't come screaming when it's you that's hurting.

Monopoly capitalism is *not* free enterprise.

Hey, I chose the US over Australia. And every time I go back and see how
Whitlam's legacy continues to erode the life I remember I'm newly grateful.

Because while monopoly capitalism sucks, it's better than what Australia
has.
--

In article <1991Jun24.233508.449@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gun Control is a firm grip) writes:

>Someone commented about the previa costing $7000 more in Japan than in the US.
>Isnt this dumping, which is illegal???

	Dumping generally refers to when a company is selling in
large quantities at a price that loses them money. NeXT being an
example. 8-)
	-- Ethan

FF buckets of bits on the bus,	FF buckets of bits.
Take one down,			Pass it to ground,
FE buckets of bits on the bus.

In article <rkushner.2013@sycom.UUCP> rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:
> >Why don't you try comparisons with European Fords?

> Ford of Europe doesn't import cars to the United States for sale...

Sure they do, under the "Merkur" label.

> I took the worst built, lowest quality Ford,

The 'stang? You're misinformed. I'd take a Mustang over a Taurus, LTD, Tempo,
or the old Escort any day. The Mustang has more bang for the buck than any
other car you can buy in the states. What did you get your figures from?
Consumer Reports? They're pretty good if you watch their bias (foreign cars,
bland products, entry level stuff)... but you gotta keep it in mind.

For that matter, the two best Fords for their price (Escort, Festiva) are
Mazdas.

Can't argue with your Commodore-Japan strategy, though.
--

ftoomey@maths.tcd.ie (Fergal Toomey) (06/25/91)

In article <rkushner.2045@sycom.UUCP> rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:
>The biggest lie is right there, we don't have hands off in this country. We
>have enviromental socialist going after corperate America, trying to destroy
>everything that built this country. If they really want to go after polluters,
>go after those evil Communists that destroyed Easter Europe's enviroment.. We

	You're a real funny guy, Ronald. Let me know when your kid is born
with two heads...

baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz (06/25/91)

In article <rkushner.2013@sycom.UUCP>, rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:
> Ford of Europe doesn't import cars to the United States for sale.... I hear
> they dropped the football on the new Escort for Europe though, sales are W-A-Y
> down...So since they don't bring cars it the US market for sale, I can't find
> any information on them(Ford Australia brings cars here, so I have the stats).
> I took the worst built, lowest quality Ford, and compaired to what they are
> bringing in. An unfounded statement was made that American products are always
                                                                          ^^^^^
> worse than products not made in America...A blanket statement like this gets
^^^^^^^                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> blow away when I compair Aus Vs US...So someone shouldn't throw stones...

Wow! All the discussion style of -MB-.
The statement was not "always". It was "often". It was not a blanket
statement, it was a qualified statement. And as we have already discussed,
I am not the sort to be involved in a stoning.

> Europe is the toughest open market though, because they generally have very
> well informed customers...Europe has made Chrysler the largest American
> exporter($700++ million a year in sales of US built cars just in Europe)..It
> took Chrysler 11 years to get their quality up enough for people in Europe to
> even consider buying one...(BTW the sales in the US increased during most of
> these 11 years that they didn't sell cars/trucks in Europe...1981 they sold
> 1,283K and in 1989 they sold 2,382K They doubled sales, mostly in trucks
> though..) And its not just Chrysler USA that benifits from European sales,
> Chrysler Canada also has a chunk of the European sales...Now Chrysler is
> designing Jeeps just for Japan, England, and Australia, lets see what
> happens when the tables are turned...I hear they have a partnership with Honda
> to distribute Jeeps in Japan, so they will be the first low priced vehicles to
> be distributed in Japan...

Those "well informed customers" is what the rest of the world is made of.
Crysler has a poor reputation here, where Japanese and European cars
dominate. American cars have the reputation of only lasting a few years,
while most people buy a car to last 10+ years. I have no real knowledge
of how long US cars would really last here, because I don't know anyone
who owns one.

> Does Commodore have a Japanese version of AmigaDOS??? If not, why not?! I bet
   (some silly stuff deleted)

> -- C-UseNet V0.42e
>  Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
>  P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis
>  Sterling Heights, MI  48311-0353              Complete Amiga Support
>  UUCP: uunet!umich!vela!sycom!rkushner     (We are not satanic, just NUTS!)
>                               DETROIT - NO WIMPS!

Regards Alan

peter@Sugar.NeoSoft.com (Peter da Silva) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun24.233106.5282@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gun Control is a firm grip) writes:
> >Bragging that US built cars are better than Australian built ones is like
> >bragging that the Amiga is better then the Atari.

> Not when the Australian built car comes from the Mazda 323 platform <or is a
> varient of it>

The Amiga and Atari are both 68000-based, and are really not that far apart
hardware-wise. Not surprising, given the Atari was a hurry-up job to kill
the Amiga.

Of course, the Mercury Capri you're talking about was a hurry-up job to
take on the (also 323-based: uses the 323 GT engine) Mazda Miata.

Pretty damn close, mon.

> Ah, the Merkur cars. Anyone ever hear of the XR4Ti or Scorpio cars?

My boss has a Scorpio. Damned nice car.

> Didnt sell well in the US at all, were very unreliable according to CU.

CU's ratings are heavily weighted towards bottom-of-the-line cars.

I'll accept their ratings on $10000 sedans, but not $20000 ones. Just
as I'll pay attention to what they say about TVs but not computers. Like
everyone, they have their areas of competance.
--

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) (06/26/91)

baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>> Does Commodore have a Japanese version of AmigaDOS??? If not, why not?! I be
>   (some silly stuff deleted)

You call an Japanese version of AmigaDOS silly!? 200,000 people from Japan
working in the US with computer systems that are very un-friendly to
them!?!??!! The NEC systems here don't run the Japanese software...Apple if
left unchallanged will make a killing!

You just don't know, don't know that you don't know, and don't want to know..

And don't put that "I don't care" thing again, thats the words of the
incurably ignorant...Maybe Plato was right about the masses...

-- C-UseNet V0.42e
 Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
 P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis
 Sterling Heights, MI  48311-0353              Complete Amiga Support
 UUCP: uunet!umich!vela!sycom!rkushner     (We are not satanic, just NUTS!)
       If I had a nickel for every time Elizabeth Taylor was married
                             I would have $.35

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) (06/26/91)

peter@Sugar.NeoSoft.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>> Ah, the Merkur cars. Anyone ever hear of the XR4Ti or Scorpio cars?
>
>My boss has a Scorpio. Damned nice car.

The killing of the XR4Ti's and Scorpio's was due to:

1) Bad marketing on Fords part
2) They did have a reputation for being unreliable cars in the price range
they were being sold in.

>> Didnt sell well in the US at all, were very unreliable according to CU.
>
>CU's ratings are heavily weighted towards bottom-of-the-line cars.

Consumers Reports HATES ALL cars, and I wouldn't look at anything they
published...One of the big-wigs at CU's car program was fired from Chrysler
for being a "screw-off"...And knowing how many Screw-Off's Chrysler still has
working for them, he must have been the screw-off of all screw-offs to get
fired...I would believe what CU prints about VCR's, Toasters, Televisions,
etc, but not cars...

I would pick up a car magazine for a more objective view, or ConsumerGuide's
auto series...

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gun Control is a firm grip) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.014153.3827@Sugar.NeoSoft.com> peter@Sugar.NeoSoft.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <rkushner.2013@sycom.UUCP> rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:
>> >Why don't you try comparisons with European Fords?
>
>> Ford of Europe doesn't import cars to the United States for sale...
>
>Sure they do, under the "Merkur" label.
           ^^
DID!!!

>> I took the worst built, lowest quality Ford,
>
>The 'stang? You're misinformed. I'd take a Mustang over a Taurus, LTD, Tempo,
>or the old Escort any day. The Mustang has more bang for the buck than any
>other car you can buy in the states. What did you get your figures from?

1> when the car runs that is
2> Im sure thats real debatable esp from people who own Irocs or TA's, etc.
Heard of the Taurus SHO?

>Consumer Reports? They're pretty good if you watch their bias (foreign cars,

I used to believe in them until their `report' on low cost computers which
totally left out the amiga 500. They replied that they had covered the amiga
before <but that was in 1986 when WB was <<1.2. As for cars, well, take a look
at their repair records thingies. Look at the Hondas, Toyotas. Then glipse over
at the Chevys, Plymouths and Fords. Which ones have more of those black
circles???

>bland products, entry level stuff)... but you gotta keep it in mind.
>
>For that matter, the two best Fords for their price (Escort, Festiva) are
>Mazdas.
>
>Can't argue with your Commodore-Japan strategy, though.
>--
>Peter da Silva.   `-_-'   <peter@sugar.neosoft.com>.
>                   'U`    "Have you hugged your wolf today?"

Their omission of the Amiga really knawed at me and made me lose all respect
for CU as a magazine <as far as recommending computers anyway.>
sigh.

In article <rkushner.2659@sycom.UUCP> rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:

>>> Didnt sell well in the US at all, were very unreliable according to CU.
>>
>>CU's ratings are heavily weighted towards bottom-of-the-line cars.
>
>Consumers Reports HATES ALL cars, and I wouldn't look at anything they
>published...One of the big-wigs at CU's car program was fired from Chrysler
>for being a "screw-off"...And knowing how many Screw-Off's Chrysler still has
>working for them, he must have been the screw-off of all screw-offs to get
>fired...I would believe what CU prints about VCR's, Toasters, Televisions,
>etc, but not cars...
>
>I would pick up a car magazine for a more objective view, or ConsumerGuide's
>auto series...

Objective? Car & driver? Road & Track? in their top 10 cars, you will almost
always see 5 hondas picked over toyota cars that are as good if not better.
COnsidering they accept advertising from all the auto companies, I'd be wary of
most advice about cars they provide.

Incidentally so far as I could tell from my limited experience, people* who
bought cars recommended by CU had far fewer problems than friends who bought
cars they didnt recommend.

*- people = friends or family.

>-- C-UseNet V0.42e
> Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
> P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis
> Sterling Heights, MI  48311-0353              Complete Amiga Support
> UUCP: uunet!umich!vela!sycom!rkushner     (We are not satanic, just NUTS!)
>       If I had a nickel for every time Elizabeth Taylor was married
>                             I would have $.35

PiRho- Because its Co-Ed!  Macintoshes should be accelerated at 32ft/sec^2
"You aint doing nothing positive, what do you have to say about yourself"
"You dont like how I'm living well Fuck you!"

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) (06/26/91)

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gun Control is a firm grip) writes:
>In article <rkushner.2659@sycom.UUCP> rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) wri

>>>CU's ratings are heavily weighted towards bottom-of-the-line cars.
>>
>>Consumers Reports HATES ALL cars, and I wouldn't look at anything they
>>published...One of the big-wigs at CU's car program was fired from Chrysler
>>for being a "screw-off"...And knowing how many Screw-Off's Chrysler still has
>>working for them, he must have been the screw-off of all screw-offs to get
>>fired...I would believe what CU prints about VCR's, Toasters, Televisions,
>>etc, but not cars...
>>
>>I would pick up a car magazine for a more objective view, or ConsumerGuide's
>>auto series...
>
>Objective? Car & driver? Road & Track? in their top 10 cars, you will almost
>always see 5 hondas picked over toyota cars that are as good if not better.
>COnsidering they accept advertising from all the auto companies, I'd be wary o
>most advice about cars they provide.

Well, true, they do take advertising, but how about Popular Science? Or
ConsumersGuide like I suggested...Plus in Road & Track, you will see $30,000++
cars in the top 10....Its kinda dumb, seeing how many more $10,000 Chevys are
sold over the $30,000 300ZPX's...

>Incidentally so far as I could tell from my limited experience, people* who
>bought cars recommended by CU had far fewer problems than friends who bought
>cars they didnt recommend.

What about when they flip/flop?  Like I have an 1990 Dodge Dyantsy and it was
recommended as a "best buy." It was allmost unchanged for 1991 and then they
said to avoid it like the plague...Still haven't had any problems with it,
actually its the first car I ever had that *I NEVER* found anything wrong
with it where it had to go back to the dealer. They had a recall for a
by-pass valve on the four speed transmission, but thats it...

They seemed to keep saying the transmissions had a 14% failure rate according
to 1989 data, but using 1989 data on a 1991 car seems very
silly...Just like compairing a WorkBench 1.0 (where when you dragged an ICON
you got a giant red X representing the icon on the screen and it crashed every
3 hours) to Mac System 7..Plus when Consumers Reports asks users to report
problems with their cars, owners of American built cars are older and seem to
nitpick much more than the younger people who buy Japanese cars, so they get
more black spots...

Whats funny, is that my friend did a study on the Diamond Star cars, and the
people who bought the Mitsubishi Eclipse rated the car *MUCH* higher than
the people who bought the Eagle Talon and Plymouth Laser...Same damn cars,
same powertrain options, etc...You could compair any model down the page, and
the ones sold as American cars "sucked" and the ones sold as Japanese cars
were "excellent."  And the Eagle Talon was one of the 10 best cars for R&T..
What a minute, thats not funny, its sad!! People are mindless brainwashed
zombies!!

-- C-UseNet V0.42e
 Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
 P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis
 Sterling Heights, MI  48311-0353              Complete Amiga Support
 UUCP: uunet!umich!vela!sycom!rkushner     (We are not satanic, just NUTS!)
                     It works better if you plug it in.

area88 (Erick Tadefa) (06/26/91)

The Scorpio & Merkur were canned mostly due to their outlandish price in comparison to the rest of their line.  The reliability was fine. Most car enthusiast mags panned it for the lack of HP (they wanted a V6, whine whine whine).  They never really advertised it all that much either.  I guess Ford of Germany and Ford USA don't look eye to eye on many things.

area88 (Erick Tadefa) (06/26/91)

From what I understand price wars go on in Japan so no car company makes money there.  Most of their profits come from exported cars.  Everything in Japan costs more for some unknown reason.  Perhaps the government knows that the Japanese people have lots of spendable cash on their hands, either that or inflation is running amuck for them.

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun25.133105.24631@wehi.dn.mu.oz> baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>In article <rkushner.2013@sycom.UUCP>, rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:

>> Does Commodore have a Japanese version of AmigaDOS??? If not, why not?! I bet
>   (some silly stuff deleted)

The Amiga would be a tremendous success in Japan if it did do Japanese.  There is
NO doubt about this.  There is, in fact, a kanjii word processor for the Amiga
written by a Japanese programmer...

* I want games that look like Shadow of the Beast  *
* but play like Leisure Suit Larry.                *

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) (06/28/91)

baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>>>   (some silly stuff deleted)
>>
>> You call an Japanese version of AmigaDOS silly!? 200,000 people from Japan
>> working in the US with computer systems that are very un-friendly to
>> them!?!??!! The NEC systems here don't run the Japanese software...Apple if
>> left unchallanged will make a killing!
>
>Yes. I do. There is a great deal more involved aiming a product at a market
>than getting the language right. The Amiga attempting to compete in Japan
>against Japanese companies would have troubles because:
>
>Limited keyboard size.
>Limited resolution.
>No (Japanese) software.
>Transport costs.
>The effectiveness of Japanese "Buy home made goods" programs.

Apple Computer is catering to the needs of 250 Japanese firms in the Detroit
area. Apple uses something called KanjiTalk, which uses word phonetics to
build characters from the sounds of the word types in. The user points to the
character on the screen that is the correct one....

According to the Detroit Free Press, "Apple will tap a very rich market"
because there are 1,400 Japanese onwed factories in the United States and
200,000 Japanese workers. Eiji Kato, a quality control manager for A.W.
Transmission Engineering in Plymouth, MI, says his Japanese NEC computer won't
work with the NEC equipment he can buy in the United States. But the Mac
software will work on any Mac worldwide...

The limited keyboard size really doesn't matter, from what I understand, they
have around 50 phonics that can build up to 300 characters....

Who cares about selling in Japan, just sell them in the United States!!! Sell
them in Canada! Commodore should hire a few Japanese people, they love to keep
busy, and something like this would definatly do that.... 100,000 more sales
would be 100,000 more sales..Plus future impressions you leave on the users...

It goes on to say in the article that anyone who gets Japanese to use thier
computers in the United States has a very good chance of selling equipment to
their friends when they return to Japan....

-- C-UseNet V0.42f
 Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
 P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis
 Sterling Heights, MI  48311-0353              Complete Amiga Support
 UUCP: uunet!umich!vela!sycom!rkushner     (We are not satanic, just NUTS!)
     Your enemy is never a villain in his own eyes, keep this is mind.

yamanaka@cv.sony.co.jp (Brian Yamanaka) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.200801.24637@wehi.dn.mu.oz> baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:

>>>   (some silly stuff deleted)
>>
>> You call an Japanese version of AmigaDOS silly!? 200,000 people from Japan
>> working in the US with computer systems that are very un-friendly to
>> them!?!??!! The NEC systems here don't run the Japanese software...Apple if
>> left unchallanged will make a killing!
>
>Yes. I do. There is a great deal more involved aiming a product at a market
>than getting the language right. The Amiga attempting to compete in Japan
>against Japanese companies would have troubles because:
>
>Limited keyboard size.
>Limited resolution.
>No (Japanese) software.
>Transport costs.
>The effectiveness of Japanese "Buy home made goods" programs.

I have been avoiding jumping into this topic line for many reasons,
(1) although American I am of Japanese lineage, (2) I work in Japan for
(3) a large international firm based in Japan.  Tho' I think I can
finally say something without getting attacked on all sides.  There
just is too many assumptions made by many about Japanese.

While I don't know if it's worth trying to market the Amiga in Japan,
I think that making a Japanese OS is not so bad an idea if done
correctly.  I think few people have had a chance to use "Kanjitalk" on
the Mac.  First of all it uses a standard keyboard, as do all new
Japanese word processors.

The trick is that you type the romanized version and the system
translates it into the Japanese character.  If it can resolve the
character it makes a good guess and allows the user to easily select
froma list of matches.  On the Mac it is a simple front end that reads
the input stream before sending it to the application.  Of course the
character set is based on a 14-bit character set that is created using
escape sequences.  This is pretty established as witnessed by the
Japanese version of internet where things are all done in Japanese.

It has been my experience that the popularity of the Mac in Japan is
due to its ease of use and willingness to make a Japanese OS.  On the
Mac this is fairly easy since all you do is use somthing like resedit
and edit the menu and requester resources.  I do the reverse in some
cases and change the Japanese apps menus to English.

Resolution is not really a problem as witnessed by how the NEC PC9800
can handle Japanese characters.  This thing is a mutation of an old PC
XT, not PC compatible in native mode, and can make decent
representations.  The Mac display is more acceptable, but the Amiga
could easily match this in Hi-res interlace.  In fact I have seen one
Japanese word processor for the Amiga, but it was not very impressive.

Software would be the biggest problem.  I visit an Amiga dealer in
Tokyo and all the software is in English.  For games, the largest
market in Japan, this is no problem.  Tho' the prices are really
steep, since there are no Amiga software disributors in Japan.

I have to disagree with the "Buy home made goods" statement.  The
popularity of the Mac attests to this.  Most applications we use in
the office come from America.  Claris, Farallon, Macromind, all big
Mac software vendors sell lots of their products here.  Believe most
Japanese software is not very good, except for the games.  The
Japanese just buy what they believe to be better.

I don't want to start a flame war so I'll stop at that statement.

>Regards Alan

Of course anything I have said is my own opinion and do not reflect in
any way those of my employer.

  Brian YAMANAKA (aka The VISCA dude)    |"I knew I should have made that
  Sony Corporation, Personal Video Group | left turn at Albuquerque."
  Email: yamanaka@cv.sony.co.jp          |                      -Bugs Bunny
  Phone: +81-3-5488-6160                 |
    FAX: +81-3-5488-6469                 |Hawaii,Illinois,Japan...what's next?

robart@agora.rain.com (Robert Barton) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun26.064611.1396@att!mwood!attcc!area88> erick@att!mwood!attcc!area88 (Erick Tadefa) writes:
>From what I understand price wars go on in Japan so no car company makes money there.  Most of their profits come from exported cars.  Everything in Japan costs more for some unknown reason.  Perhaps the government knows that the Japanese people have lots of spendable cash on their hands, either that or inflation is running amuck for them.

  Please take this to rec.auto.

baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz (06/28/91)

In article <mykes.3830@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG>, mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) writes:
> In article <1991Jun25.133105.24631@wehi.dn.mu.oz> baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>>In article <rkushner.2013@sycom.UUCP>, rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:
>
>>> Does Commodore have a Japanese version of AmigaDOS??? If not, why not?! I bet
>>   (some silly stuff deleted)
>>

> The Amiga would be a tremendous success in Japan if it did do Japanese.  There is
> NO doubt about this.  There is, in fact, a kanjii word processor for the Amiga
> written by a Japanese programmer...

I retract all statements referring to the Amiga in the Japanese market
place. They were based on a visit 18 months ago when there were 300
Amigas in Japan, a single users group of 30 people, and no Japanese
software.  Clearly things have changed if they have got a word processor.

Anyone be able to show it to me or let me know where I could get it?

Regards Alan

es1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) (06/29/91)

In article <rkushner.3611@sycom.UUCP> rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:
>baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>>>
>>> You call an Japanese version of AmigaDOS silly!? 200,000 people from Japan
>>> working in the US with computer systems that are very un-friendly to
>>> them!?!??!! The NEC systems here don't run the Japanese software...Apple if
>>> left unchallanged will make a killing!
>>
>>Yes. I do. There is a great deal more involved aiming a product at a market
>>than getting the language right. The Amiga attempting to compete in Japan
>>against Japanese companies would have troubles because:
>>
>Apple Computer is catering to the needs of 250 Japanese firms in the Detroit
>area. Apple uses something called KanjiTalk, which uses word phonetics to
>build characters from the sounds of the word types in. The user points to the
>character on the screen that is the correct one....

	Wouldn't it be possible to incorporate Kanji via a Kanji
font and a Commodity which would trap incoming keystrokes and
process them?
	-- Ethan

FF buckets of bits on the bus,	FF buckets of bits.
Take one down,			Short it to ground,
FE buckets of bits on the bus.