[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Amigafication of the Macintosh

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (06/29/91)

In article <14296@goofy.Apple.COM> lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) writes:
>In article <1991Jun25.112729.27772@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rjc@churchy.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>
>>>formating a disk in another window.  Everything stops if you move a
>>>window, or access a menu.  Put simply it sucks, and I hope it gets
>>
>>  This seems like a matter of opinion, but how long do you stay in
>>menus or dragging a window? Do you move windows around and can't decide
>>where to put them? (Does it look good here? no maybe it will look good
>
>I find this highly amusing, since this is the example people use to show why
>MultiFinder is so inferior to the Amiga O/S.
>
>Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.
>
>lsr@apple.com
>(or AppleLink: Rosenstein1)

What I find highly amusing is how the Mac is looking more and more like
the Amiga ever since Multifinder, but not working as well :->  Consider
that before Multifinder, there was Amiga.  It had a "desktop" metaphor with
multitasking capability and multiple applications shared the desktop.  As
well, the Amiga allowed each application to run on its own screen and
resolution and color palette - there is a gadget on the upper right hand
corner of each screen to depth arrange them.

Along comes the Mac II back in '87/'88 with all its color and multifinder.
All of a sudden, the Mac starts looking like the Amiga!  Now we get applications
sharing the desktop (just like the Amiga) and even a gadget in the upper right
hand corner to depth arrange the applications (just like the Amiga).  And to top
it off, I just installed system 7 on a brand new Mac IIci with 32K FastCache
card, and it looks even more like the Amiga than ever.  It even has a "preferences"
folder just like the Amgia has always had since day 1.  It even has a real similar
3-D look to it.  But the software packages for it are still black and white.

Right now, I am sitting in front of my amiga with my back to the Mac.  The Mac
definitely looks much crisper when it is just sitting there, but when I use
it, I am appalled at how slow it does everything when compared to the A3000.
What specifically is slower?  Well, loading a program from disk, rendering
anything to the screen, doing any kind of batch processing, copying files
and renaming them to another part of the hard disk, booting up, starting up
filesharing, or almost anything I ever use the machine to do.

So Larry, have you guys at Apple really figured out what multitasking is all
about?  When I am running SuperDisk on the Mac II and rename a folder, the
Mac OS sits there allowing me to do NOTHING until all 2000 files have been
decompressed.  I can't even stick a floppy in the drive and format it while
I wait for the decompression.  Not only that, if windows need to be refreshed,
they sit there with huge white rectangles in them for such a long time...

I can't have more than ONE AppleShare server running on the machine at
the same time, like I can with my Amiga (yes I have them linked with
DoubleTalk).  If one application brings up a file requester, I can't
activate any other programs until I make the file requester go away.
And if I copy a hundred text files from the Amiga to the Mac over appletalk,
I have to use ResEdit on every single one of them so I can set the creator
and type fields so I can use a dumb text editor to look at the files.
And sometimes I want to run my text editor at the same time as other apps
so I have to set its memory partition to something small.  Then when I want
to edit a lot of text, I have to quit and resize the partitions and go edit
everything again.

There still isn't a good multithreaded CLI environment available (MPW has some
nice features, but it should have supported multithreading by design).  In fact,
there aren't even ANY multithreaded applications, since there are no lightweight
processes available/possible.

I'm glad you are amused, since .advocacy is a great way to amuse one's self.
But here you have an Amiga user who has given you a dozen reasons why multifinder
is inferior to the Amiga OS, and I didn't even mention (yet :) that multithreading
is what makes it possible to look at a menu for as long as you like without
bringing the whole system to a halt -)

* I want games that look like Shadow of the Beast  *
* but play like Leisure Suit Larry.                *