[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Mac file types

geff@iastate.edu (Geff Underwood) (06/26/91)

In article <25668@well.sf.ca.us> farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) writes:
>dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) writes:
>
>>You stated that the file type of a Macintosh file was kept in the
>>resource fork. It isn't.
>
>Where is it kept, then?  Last time *I* looked, file types were definitely
>resources, and thus *had* to be in the resource fork.  Has this changed
>in 7.0?  If so, why doesn't EVERYTHING break?

You should have looked more closely.  The file owner/type information is
part of the directory structure, and always has been.  A Macintosh file
can have a zero-byte resource fork, and a zero-byte data fork, but it will
still have the full owner/type information.  Perhaps you were confused by
the fact that some file types have the same names as some resources.

>>Our bitmap, drawing, text, formatted text, movie, sound, etc.
>>don't need resources, although they can be transfered into one (some of
>>them).
>
>Hmm?  Many of those ARE resources, kept in the resource fork.  Are you
>saying this is not so?  If so, what about those that are?

They CAN BE resources, kept in the resource fork.  Not at all the same
thing.  They often are stored that way, so that standard tools can extract
or replace them.

>>You can just as easily use them on other machines.
>
>Yeah, so?  You have to go through hoops to do so.  I did the Amiga version
>of Crystal Quest, and one of the biggest pains in the butt of the entire
>conversion was pulling the data out of the resources and converting it
>into some usable format on the Ami.  Just how many machines, pray tell,
>can handle PICT resources directly?

PICT?  You need Mac ROMs to use that format, because a PICT image is a
sequence of QuickDraw calls.  This has nothing to do with the file system,
and is true whether the image was stored as a PICT resource or as the data
fork of a PICT file.

--
Geff Underwood
geff@iastate.edu

dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) (06/28/91)

Responding to the following:

>>You can just as easily use them on other machines.
>
>Yeah, so?  You have to go through hoops to do so.  I did the Amiga version
>of Crystal Quest, and one of the biggest pains in the butt of the entire
>conversion was pulling the data out of the resources and converting it
>into some usable format on the Ami.  Just how many machines, pray tell,
>can handle PICT resources directly?

I've seen many utilities on the IBM to convert various formats, INCLUDING PICT
(although that one's a bit hard!). If you guys don't have enough developers
to have support for foreign file formats, don't complain about Macs in general.
How many machines have support for Amiga file formats? Relatively few, because
there is much less need for file format compatibility with such a small user
base. That is the prime factor.

don@chopin.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (06/28/91)

In article <128@ryptyde.UUCP> dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) writes:
>I've seen many utilities on the IBM to convert various formats, INCLUDING PICT
>(although that one's a bit hard!). If you guys don't have enough developers
>to have support for foreign file formats, don't complain about Macs in general.
>How many machines have support for Amiga file formats? Relatively few, because
>there is much less need for file format compatibility with such a small user
>base. That is the prime factor.

     There are are a number of graphics conversion utilities available for
the Amiga.  Art Department, ADPro, and the one that comes with the HAM-E
graphics board are ones that come to mind, as well as a number of
PD packages.
	 As far as other platforms using IFF - IBM's already use it, due mainly to
the existence of the IBM version of DPaint.  However, I read recently about
a proposed multimedia file exchange standard which is oddly similar to IFF...

--
  Gibberish   May the        Publications Editor, AmigaNetwork
  is spoken   fork() be      Amiga Student On-Campus Consultant, U of D

metahawk@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Wayne G Rigby) (06/29/91)

In article <128@ryptyde.UUCP> dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) writes:

>I've seen many utilities on the IBM to convert various formats, INCLUDING PICT
>(although that one's a bit hard!). If you guys don't have enough developers
>to have support for foreign file formats, don't complain about Macs in general.
>How many machines have support for Amiga file formats? Relatively few, because
>there is much less need for file format compatibility with such a small user
>base. That is the prime factor.

Most UNIX machines can handle IFF pictures (they might handle HAM too, but I
don't remember off hand).  The standard FBM (Fuzzy BitMap) converter has
many different conversion formats including GIF, TGA, and many others.  It can
be very useful.  Check it out.

"Hello?  Is there anybody in there?      Wayne Rigby
"Just nod if you can hear me."           Computer and Systems Engineer
          - Pink Floyd                   (A delightful blend of EE and CS)
                                         Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
     Yes, C-128's still live!            metahawk@rpi.edu

peter@Sugar.NeoSoft.com (Peter da Silva) (06/29/91)

In article <17338@chopin.udel.edu> don@chopin.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) writes:
> 	 As far as other platforms using IFF - IBM's already use it, due mainly to
> the existence of the IBM version of DPaint.  However, I read recently about
> a proposed multimedia file exchange standard which is oddly similar to IFF...

Plus, the International Midi Association's MFF (Midi File Format) is basically
IFF without a "FORM MIDI" chunk to tell you the file type (which was dumb,
IMHO).
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'   <peter@sugar.neosoft.com>.
                   'U`    "Have you hugged your wolf today?"