[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] New graphics products for the 'miga

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) (06/28/91)

[I suspect this will generate more heat than light, so follup-to
has been pointed to c.s.a.a.  If you really do shed some light,
you might want to change it.]

Okedoke, this is from the most recent Amazing Computing's Guide
to the Amiga.  I typed it in verbatum, so don't tell the copyright
police.  I also left out anything that's been generally available for
more than a week or so: DCTV, Mimetics FrameBuffer/Grabber, FrameGrabber,
etc.

---
ACS Harlequin 32 bit Framebuffer
The ACS Harlequin 32 bit framebuffer provides broadcast quality RGB
output.  All models offer 3 resolutions-740x486,832x486 and 910x486
(NTSC) and both interlace and non-interlace.  Four models are available
providing options for double-buffering, Alpha channel for linear
keying, plus digital key output.  SOftware supplied includes
full programming interface plus package to load images from all amiga
sources.
Amiga Centre Scotland,
4 Hart Street Lane,
Edinburg, EH1 3RN Scotland
011-4431-557-4242

---
Rambrandt/Amiga
A 32-bit dual framebuffer with 24-bit painting and real-time digitizing.
NTSC/PAL composite and RGB input and output.  On-board TI 34020
processor for real-tie resizing, 'window in a window', animations,
zoom and other ADO-style effects, all in 16 million colors and at
resolutions up to 1024x1024.  Onboard video ram and IBM to
8 MB RAM for 34020 operations. [the IBM is some sort of wierd typo, -jet]
Includes 24-bit paint software included.  A 34082 coprocessor is
otional.  System requirements: A2000/2500/3000.  Price TBA

VideoMaster 32
A 32-bit dual frame buffer board with 24-bit painting and 24-bit
digitizing capability.  The VideoMaster 32 plugs into the Amiga 2000
and 3000 series computers, but uses its own internal RAM and processor
exclusively, making it a virtual Video Workstation for video professionals.
VideoMaster 32 comes with VideoCanvas 24, 24-bit paint software,
diagnostic and control software, thoroughly illustrated manual with
examples and VHS tutorial videotape.

Progressive Peripherals & Software
464 Kalamath St
Denver, CO 80204
(303) 825-4144

---
ColorBurst 24-bit Color Card for All Amigas
Now every Amiga model can have 16.8 million colors with quality equal to
that of a MAC, but with many additional features.  ColorBurst is not
HAM or YC mixing, but true 24-bit pure RGB output.  There is no blurring
or loss of definition with ColorBurst.  External evice which plugs into
monitor port.  Greater than broadcast quality.  A resolution of 780x580
pixels supports full overscan. RGB Dynamic White Balance Correction
capability.  Two hardware playfields and two AMiga hardware playfields
for a total of four playfields.  Pixel by pixel transparency can be
set for truly spectacular special effects.  Real time image processing.
A 24-bit paint package included.  Loads IFF files from DPaint III, etc.
Loaders for DigiView, etc.  Can be written to by Blitter for hi-speed
graphics manipulation.  Stores up to 4x16 million color frames at once
and does real tie animation on 4096 colors out of 16 million palette.
Real time horizontal and veritcal scrolling.  Genlockable.  It has
1.5 megabytes chip ram and own processor chip.  $499.00
M.A.S.T
1395 Greg Street
Sparks, NV 89431
(702) 359-0444

---
DMI010
The 1024x800 eight plane system utilizes the full 16 million color
palette with 256 active colors, and over 800,000 pixels for your use.  The
DMI010 system has available a Memory Buffer Option that can be utilized
to increase screen resolution to 1280x1024 or provide even faster screen
display at 1024x800 resolution.

DMI020
The 1280x1024 24 plane system makes availabe the full 16+ million
color spectrum, and over 1,300,000 pixels.  The Memory Buffer Option
for the DMI020 doubles the amount of available vram providing for
faster screen displays.  Three to five times more addressable data.
Programmable control up to its maximum resolution.

HRV2000 Graphics Board
The HRV2000 Graphics Board provides for resolution of up to 1024x800
with 256 displayable colors from a palette of over 16 million colors.
The system will provide you with three time sht edefinition of your
standard 640x400 resolution.  It will allow you to bring your work close to
photographic quality images.

Digital Micronics, Inc.
5674-P El Camino Real
Carlsbad, CA 92008-7130
(619) 931-8554

---
Spectrum
Full 24-bit FrameGrabber/Buffer with BNC connectors. Supports full
overscan, stores NTSC image internally.  Saves in all popular formats
including IFF24 and RGBN.  Grabs a frame in 1/30th of a second or
a field in 1/60th of a second.   True video quality.  Captures and digitizes
in full NTSC color, no color splitrer required.  Requires 1Mb of
memory.  $699.00
Pyramid Video Technologies
Div of Preferred Technologies, Inc.
14540 E. Beltwood Parkway
Dallas Texas, 75244
(214) 702-9191

---
Video Digitizer
Real-time frame grabber in 1/60 of a second, 320x256 display with 16 gray
levels.  Updates screen at 1 frame/sec.  Save screen as IFF format.
Edit pictures with cut, paste copy, reverse, negative and more.
$139.00
Datel Computers
3430 E. Tropicana #67
Las Vegas, NV 89121
(800) 782-9110

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126
Skate UNIX! (curb fault: skater dumped)

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (06/28/91)

  Wow! Impressive list! If we could get DIG/RTG quickly, the Amiga
will soon be the king of high-end video again.

 In addition to that list, we should add HAM-E (and HAM-E PRO), DCTV,
Video Toaster, Video Blender, Firecracker/24., A2410, and the
mimetics frame buffer. (Perhaps we should put all of these in a
FAQL) One thing I didn't really think of until now was the Amiga's
ability to use IBM cards in the bridgecard slots. What we need is a
processless/ramless bridgecard, and a library for interfacing to these
boards then the Amiga can take advantage of every IBM card on the market.
(Just imagine using those $100 SuperVGA cards for the Amiga's display)
Think of the possibilities of using all those cheap IBM cards on the
Amiga. (sound cards would work too).

 Perhaps the Amiga4000 should have a NuBUS slot too, that way we could
use Mac cards. You could claim the Amiga as the "best of all three
worlds. Business, Publishing, and Video!"
 Of course Apple could probably find a way to prevent this since running
the Mac operating system on the Amiga is a dangerous threat to them.
[Tangent mode]
  Imagine dealerships shipping package deal Amiga's. The customer would
ask "Does it run XXX on platform A or YYY on platform B?" And they could
answer, "Yes, the Amiga runs all software, IBM, Mac, AmigaDOS, and UNIX".
Running Mac and UNIX software would be nothing but software packaged with it,
the IBM software would need a cheap bridgecard packaged with it, or something
like IBeM. So, for the price of an A3000 ($1850 or $2250) plus let's
say $200 for the Mac clone roms from NuTek, plus IBeM (licensed from the
author of course) you have a machine that runs more software than any other
platform, and with better price/performance. You could go one step
further. Remove the Amiga's label, and call it "The compatiblity box...
of the future" Start a nation wide advertising campaign advertising a
machine that runs Mac/IBM/Unix/AmigaDOS but don't say it's an Amiga.
That way, Joe Average will buy it because he won't jhave to engage in
strenous intellectual activity like deciding which machine to buy
(Mac or IBM) he can just but this box, and all his worries are solved
knowing that it runs everything and does everything he wants.
Maybe, just maybe, he'll boot up in Amiga mode sometimes and discover
how nice it is.
[exit tangent mode]

  Nice way to shove Amiga's into the laps of the masses isn't it?

--
/ INET:rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu     *   // The opinions expressed here do not      \
| INET:r_cromwe@upr2.clu.net  | \X/  in any way reflect the views of my self.|

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (06/28/91)

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) writes:
>  Wow! Impressive list! If we could get DIG/RTG quickly, the Amiga
>will soon be the king of high-end video again.

I'm sure you took the words right out of everyone's mouth, there!

> In addition to that list, we should add HAM-E (and HAM-E PRO), DCTV,
>Video Toaster, Video Blender, Firecracker/24., A2410, and the
>mimetics frame buffer. (Perhaps we should put all of these in a
>FAQL) One thing I didn't really think of until now was the Amiga's
>ability to use IBM cards in the bridgecard slots. What we need is a
>processless/ramless bridgecard, and a library for interfacing to these
>boards then the Amiga can take advantage of every IBM card on the market.

Yes, that kind of a card would be nice.  Digitizer/frame buffer cards
for the IBM are getting common and cheaper every day.  Why reinvent
the wheel (and charge more for an Amiga version)?  I think you have
a great idea.  Now ask Dave if it's possible :-)   best - kevin

<kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

billc@cryo.rain.com (William J. Coldwell) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun28.000000.6529@menudo.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) writes:

[explanation and list of framebuffers and other video gadgets deleted]

>Rambrandt/Amiga
>A 32-bit dual framebuffer with 24-bit painting and real-time digitizing.
>NTSC/PAL composite and RGB input and output.  On-board TI 34020
>processor for real-tie resizing, 'window in a window', animations,
>zoom and other ADO-style effects, all in 16 million colors and at
>resolutions up to 1024x1024.  Onboard video ram and IBM to
>8 MB RAM for 34020 operations. [the IBM is some sort of wierd typo, -jet]
>Includes 24-bit paint software included.  A 34082 coprocessor is
>otional.  System requirements: A2000/2500/3000.  Price TBA

IBM?  That's real cute.  You can use an IBM to compile the code, then
dump it to the Amiga, which shoots it up to the board, since there isn't
a 680x0 version of the 340x0 cross compiler.  I don't think that was what
the description was supposed to say though.  Besides, PP&S wasn't using
an IBM, they've been using a Compaq ;-).

>VideoMaster 32
>A 32-bit dual frame buffer board with 24-bit painting and 24-bit
>digitizing capability.  The VideoMaster 32 plugs into the Amiga 2000
>and 3000 series computers, but uses its own internal RAM and processor
>exclusively, making it a virtual Video Workstation for video professionals.
>VideoMaster 32 comes with VideoCanvas 24, 24-bit paint software,
>diagnostic and control software, thoroughly illustrated manual with
>examples and VHS tutorial videotape.
>
>Progressive Peripherals & Software
>464 Kalamath St
>Denver, CO 80204
>(303) 825-4144

Gee, Amazing messed up.  This is the same product.

[Rest of article deleted]

>J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126

--
William J. Coldwell      Internet: billc@cryo.rain.com     I ZROCK!
Amiga Attitude Adjuster  UUCP: tektronix!percy!cryo!billc  3-D Pro 2.0!

peter@Sugar.NeoSoft.com (Peter da Silva) (06/29/91)

In article <billc.3714@cryo.rain.com> billc@cryo.rain.com (William J. Coldwell) writes:
> >                              Onboard video ram and IBM to
> >8 MB RAM for 34020 operations. [the IBM is some sort of wierd typo, -jet]

I think it means "1 MB". Of course, that might mean they use -MB- to transfer
data to the RAM... :->
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'   <peter@sugar.neosoft.com>.
                   'U`    "Have you hugged your wolf today?"