[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Japanese and the Amiga

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (06/30/91)

In article <1991Jun28.225233.19410@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <rkushner.3611@sycom.UUCP> rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:

>>Apple Computer is catering to the needs of 250 Japanese firms in the Detroit
>>area. Apple uses something called KanjiTalk, which uses word phonetics to
>>build characters from the sounds of the word types in. The user points to the
>>character on the screen that is the correct one....
>>
>	Wouldn't it be possible to incorporate Kanji via a Kanji
>font and a Commodity which would trap incoming keystrokes and
>process them?
>	-- Ethan

Sorry if I'm not quoting someone correctly here, but I did my best to figure out
who was saying what.  It was pretty well nested :)  I want this to be a better
and cleaner thread in its own right...

I saw on TV some software for the Mac that is probably this KanjiTalk.  It allowed
one person to type stuff in in english and it came out in Japanese on the other
machine (over AppleTalk or whatever).  I'm pretty sure it also used Macintalk as
well.  Looked like a great idea.

But back to what I really want to get into, which is how to make the Amiga do
Japanese - which is what Ethan appears to be hinting at.  I worked for Sega for
a time and got to see and use Japanese NEC PCs.  I also worked with several
Japanese folks (great people, by the way) who knew PCs quite well.  At Sega,
we were using networked Amigas to do Genesis development, and the Japanese guys
all saw how great the Amiga was and those who spoke/read/wrote english well enough
actually used the Amiga quite well.  In fact, those who did use the Amiga suggested
that it would be a huge hit in the Japanese market, if it only did Japanese.

Now before getting more into what the Amiga needs to do, a look at the Japanese
PC is in order.  The NEC incorporates a version of MS DOS which has a lot of
Japanese features built in.  In ROM, they have Kanji and Katakana fonts and they
have altered the BIOS to support the display of these character sets.  They also
have translated all of the MS-DOS messages into Japanese (I don't read Japanese,
but I can sure tell when it's saying Abort, Retry or Quit? :)  Anyhow, they also
have a wedge between the command line and the user that allows them to enter
the Japanese characters onto the command line.  This is done by combining multiple
key strokes to generate a single Japanese character equivalent.  The Japanese
command line is edited in an area of the screen below the normal screen area
and then the command can be transfered to the normal DOS command prompt...  In order
to accomplish this, a 600K file is used to perform various translations.

So, I got this idea.  Everything that renders text to the screen on the Amiga,
at least everything that uses the OS, eventually ends up funneling through the
Text() routine.  This includes the screen title bar, menus, and text inside
applications (like the CLI).  It seemed to me that it might not be all that
hard to wedge into Text() and have it translate english words into Japanese
and then render the Japanese instead.  Instantly, you'd have every application
for the Amiga with Japanese support, including DPaint, CED, etc.  But I am
not very good at Japanese, so I am far from qualified to do it myself...

So it seems like a bit of work, but not at all impossible to make the Amiga
render Japanese in a totally transparent manner!  But there is still an
issue/problem to be explored.  The Japanese text needs to be rendered in
two fonts at the same time (Kanji and Katakana).  One of these fonts is
8x8 pixels and the other is 16x16.  The way the Amiga does Menus, for example,
often has applications hard coding the coordinates of menu items based upon
a certain font size.  With 2.0, software is going to have to be more algorithmic
about deciding how to place menu items, so this issue might go away shortly.

The next issue becomes how to allow Japanese to be input to programs.  Well,
I figure that it should be quite simple to implement the same scheme that the
NEC PC uses for entering Japanese by wedging into the input event stream and
doing the translation there.  But again, someonw who knows Japanese, English,
and the Amiga would be a much more qualified person to implement this.

Now the strangest things about the Japanese folks I know is that they all
have had like 8 years of english in school, but they all have a real hard
time speaking the language.  It seems they are tought to read and write,
but not to speak.  I've been to Tokyo, and I was amazed to find how easy
it was for me to find my way around, since almost every sign everywhere
was written in both English and Japanese.  The Japanese software that I
was able to see source to was all written in english - 'C', assembly,
or pascal or whatever, but the comments and text in strings were either
english or japanese (they didn't seem to care much either way).

There is a 68000 based machine in Japan from Sharp called the X68000,
which reminds me a lot of the Amiga.  It is clearly superior in every
way to the PC, is great for games, has great features built-in, and is
also a relatively poor seller when compared to the PC.  In many
respects, the X68000 blows the Amiga away. Like it has had dual
playfields with 256 colors each since day 1, and built in audio and
video digitizers.  The Amiga has a much better software base, and
multitasking, though, which would make it interesting the the
Japanese.  In addition, a Japanese Amiga would also permit a lot of
the Japanese X68000 software to be ported to it...

In summary, there is no doubt that Japanese could be done for the Amiga,
and if it were, the sales of Amigas might double if the Japanese market
were tapped.  It might behoove CBM or some third party to implement something
like what I've described here.

* I want games that look like Shadow of the Beast  *
* but play like Leisure Suit Larry.                *