[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Rarity RAM ... again

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (06/30/91)

In article <14317@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU writes:
>In article <1991Jun27.170049.21231@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
>>	Here's the thing: Game machines require only medium
>>reliability.  If a game machine crashes, you lose what? Your best high
>>score? If your business computer crashes, you may lose untold $$ worth
>>of data.  So you guard it with things like, oh, parity RAM, so that
>>you are assured that incorrect answers are not propogated. And you
>>choose a vendor that has a reputation for reliability.
>
>In fact, the first thing our DB instructor said was that recovery was only
>important for high end systems, on IBM-type systems you don't need to
>worry about that.

Interesting opinion.

>Let me ask you, after a parity error hangs your system, and your DB system
>has no recovery code, what are you going to do?

Go to a backup.  Nothing else to do.  You did, or course, keep good
backups.

>So, you're saying that IBMs are better business machines because they have
>parity RAM?  You either have a system with FULL parity checking, or your
>feeble attempts at covering your rear are likely to fail.

I'm saying that businessMEN think IBMs are better business machines,
in part because they have parity RAM.  This is a marketing opinion.
It's obvious that technical opinions differ. That's OK.

>IMHO, of course :)

Of course!
--
Richard Krehbiel, private citizen      ckp@grebyn.com