[comp.sys.amiga.advocacy] Amiga is better then [sic] what???

robart@agora.rain.com (Barton) (06/28/91)

In an article Rod.Fulk@f24.n228.z1.FidoNet.Org (Rod Fulk) writes:
> Compare OS's... The St is built with a much more complete OS then ANY of
> the amiga OS's.. (The 2.0 doesnt really count at this point since last time
> I looked it was not available on amiga 500's yet)

  No, it's not available for the A500 yet.  Feature-wise, I believe AmigaOS 2.0
was done some time ago, and Commodore programmers have spent the last several
months trying to make it compatible with older software.  Unfortunately some
people who developed software for the Amiga brought along various bad habits
which they picked up while developing for more primitive, non-multitasking
systems, thus leading to buggy software.

> Of course the amiga does multitask but I have very little use for multitasking..

  That's what many people say, until they try Amiga multitasking.

> As to sound? Well The ST is the only one so far that has the capability of 3d
> sound. The STe series computers have the capability of using 3 seperate
> speakers with different sounds out of each.... 2 of those full 8 bit digital..

  How many bits is the other channel?

> ALL the memory can be used in an ST as compared to the amigas limitation
> of chip memory...

  So you're saying the ST can use all 16 Megs for graphics?  I admit I wasn't
aware of that.  I thought it used a screen buffer.

> (Note the ST does not waste memory... You must waste memory on an amiga to
> do double buffered graphics and digital sound at the same time.)

  Please explain what you mean by "wasting" memory.

peter@Sugar.NeoSoft.com (Peter da Silva) (06/29/91)

In an article Rod.Fulk@f24.n228.z1.FidoNet.Org (Rod Fulk) writes:
> Compare OS's... The St is built with a much more complete OS then ANY of
> the amiga OS's..

I didn't realise Atari had come out with an O/S for the ST. Last time I
looked it just had a program loader and graphics library.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'   <peter@sugar.neosoft.com>.
                   'U`    "Have you hugged your wolf today?"

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) (06/30/91)

peter@Sugar.NeoSoft.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In an article Rod.Fulk@f24.n228.z1.FidoNet.Org (Rod Fulk) writes:
>> Compare OS's... The St is built with a much more complete OS then ANY of
>> the amiga OS's..
>
>I didn't realise Atari had come out with an O/S for the ST. Last time I
>looked it just had a program loader and graphics library.

Wasn't it a developers joke:

"Why do they call it TOS?
 Because it is the first thing that you do with the OS. TOSs it!"

Not like game types don't do the same on the Amiga tho :-(

What does the Atari ST come with? I thought the Apple lawyers went after them
once upon a time. I have not kept up with the STs, except seeing the Megas in
the DFP, but those ads are now harder to find than Commodores. Everyplace that
sold the ST's here bailed, at least the places I go to on any irregular
basis...I read comp.sys.atari.st from time to time but don't see much good
stuff going on there, except HD discussions and maybe people asking how to
know if they had a blitter...and "Where can I find a TT in the states."
To be fair, for awhile I though there wasn't anything good to read in
c.s.a.programmer when they had that giant flame war over to kill or not to
kill the OS to program your favorate game(mainly Lemmings I believe).

-- C-UseNet V0.42f
 Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
 P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis
 Sterling Heights, MI  48311-0353              Complete Amiga Support
 UUCP: uunet!umich!vela!sycom!rkushner     (We are not satanic, just NUTS!)
               People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan.

mykes@amiga0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (07/01/91)

In article <rkushner.4305@sycom.UUCP> rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:
>peter@Sugar.NeoSoft.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>In an article Rod.Fulk@f24.n228.z1.FidoNet.Org (Rod Fulk) writes:
>>> Compare OS's... The St is built with a much more complete OS then ANY of
>>> the amiga OS's..
>>
>>I didn't realise Atari had come out with an O/S for the ST. Last time I
>>looked it just had a program loader and graphics library.
>
>Wasn't it a developers joke:
>
>"Why do they call it TOS?
> Because it is the first thing that you do with the OS. TOSs it!"

It was MY joke :)

>Not like game types don't do the same on the Amiga tho :-(

The Amiga DOES do all the things that the Amiga can do AND all the things
the ST can do, too.

>What does the Atari ST come with? I thought the Apple lawyers went after them
>once upon a time. I have not kept up with the STs, except seeing the Megas in
>the DFP, but those ads are now harder to find than Commodores. Everyplace that
>sold the ST's here bailed, at least the places I go to on any irregular
>basis...I read comp.sys.atari.st from time to time but don't see much good
>stuff going on there, except HD discussions and maybe people asking how to
>know if they had a blitter...and "Where can I find a TT in the states."
>To be fair, for awhile I though there wasn't anything good to read in
>c.s.a.programmer when they had that giant flame war over to kill or not to
>kill the OS to program your favorate game(mainly Lemmings I believe).

To be fair, the ST does provide many things in ROM that would be nice to have
on the Amiga (in the event  you are taking over the machine).  Things like
Floppy disk access, hard disk access, etc.  This is the only sense that I can
determine where the Atari OS is more complete than the Amiga's.

* I want games that look like Shadow of the Beast  *
* but play like Leisure Suit Larry.                *