[comp.sys.amiga.marketplace] Transactions on the NET. How do you do it?

bell@cezanne.cs.unc.edu (Andrew Bell) (01/16/91)

In article <27889.27920858@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> vaughn@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Chris Vaughn) writes:
>Anyway, what I asked was how do people on here usually handle transactions
>over the net?

U.P.S. allows anyone to do C.O.D. orders,  so the seller can just send the
stuff to the buyer anyway.  You also want to have some form of contract
listing what is to be exchanged for what,  and the seller sends this to
the buyer either before sending the package or with it on the outside of
the package.

U.P.S. COD fees are $6.05 currently,  so for a multi-hundred dollar system
this isn't too expensive.

    -Andrew Bell
bell@cs.unc.edu

andrew@postmod.UUCP (Andrew J Richardson) (01/16/91)

In article <27889.27920858@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, Chris Vaughn writes:

-> Anyway, what I asked was how do people on here usually handle transactions over
-> the net?  I see lots of stuff for sale around here, and I'm wondering how one
-> makes the switch.  If everyone was honest and trusting, it would be no problem
-> to just send the money and the equipment to each other.  But, this not being
-> the case, (not accusing anyone, just being rightfully cautious) how do you do
-> it?

well, i guess i've been a trusting person when dealing through usenet/uumail,
but i've never run into a problem.  i've bought and sold equipment, and in all
but two cases, the money was sent first, then the equipment.  in one case,
half was sent, then the equipment, then the second half.  in the last case,
the equipment was sent ups cod, and i gave the driver a money order for the
full amount.  the sender paid the shipping.

some ways require more faith than others.  perhaps i'm naive, but i
implicitely trust the people who "hang around" here, for some reason.
i guess i identify with them in my interest in computers, technology,
etc.  it's a personal sort of decision, and if you don't feel comfortable
making a leap of faith then the cod requires the least.  no guarantee
the equipment's in the box, or that it works, but at least a box shows up
before you fork over the bucks.

---andrew

andrew@postmod.uucp
uunet!postmod!andrew