[comp.sys.amiga.marketplace] Seeking buying advice for Quantum 105M SCSI HD

ruslan@uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) (01/24/91)

We wanna buy a (new) Quantum 105 meg hard disk.  Can you folks help us
figure what to specify and who to get it from?

Specific questions -

The drive:

	1)  Most folks seem to call this a "ProDrive".  Is this a
particular model or just what they happen to name their drives?
	2)  BriWall tried to sell us a 100 meg drive, since they didn't
have the 105 one in.  (They also quoted a price for the 105 that was
higher than what was printed in their January ad...)  Have y'all ever
heard of Quantum putting out a 100 meg drive?  (We hadn't.)
	3)  Okay, we know that it needs to be a SCSI drive, internal
in our case (just going to hang it off the 2091.)  Is there any particular
model number that we should ask for - or any that we should avoid - in
order to get a happy Amiga-ready drive?

The dealers:

	Generally we deal with Safe Harbor, but their drive prices are
a tad higher (i.e. almost $100) than those listed elsewhere.  So...
keeping in mind little surprises like shipping/handling and credit
card costs, or draconian return/refund policies, can you suggest any
really good mail order deals that hold up under scrutiny?
	In the February 91 Computer Shopper, page 427, we see an ad by
the "Hard Drives International" company, which has (a/the) Quantum 105 meg
SCSI drive for $499.  Has anybody got any stories to tell about these guys,
bad or good?  (They also have the tradenames "PowerDrive" when they're
speaking to Mac folks... and the ad says the company's a division of
"Insight Distribution Network," if that provides any info.)

Thanks in advance!
--
Robin LaPasha              |Keeper of the Amiga

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (01/25/91)

Suprisingly, the best prices I've seen for the Quantum family of
hard drives have been in the Macworld magazine in the back.  APS
consistantly has low prices.  Check them out.
--
John  M.  Adams   --***--   Professional Student      ///
Internet: jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu     Genie:  vlad     ///  Only the Amiga

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (01/25/91)

Robin> We wanna buy a (new) Quantum 105 meg hard disk.

Quantums are good drives and seem well respected.  Supra told me that there
testing of Quantum drives show an average on-time of 5 years before failure
whereas other maker drives (unspecified) show a 2 year mean time before
failure.  Sounds like your talking about the Quantum P105S drive (P means
Prodrive and S means SCSI).

Robin> In the February 91 Computer Shopper, page 427, we see an ad by the
Robin> "Hard Drives International" company, which has (a/the) Quantum 105 meg
Robin> SCSI drive for $499.  Has anybody got any stories to tell about these
Robin> guys, bad or good?  (They also have the tradenames "PowerDrive" when
Robin> they're speaking to Mac folks... and the ad says the company's a
Robin> division of "Insight Distribution Network," if that provides any info.)

I had ordered a Seagate ST277R from Hard Drives International almost two years
ago (it recently went belly-up due to stiction) and just ordered a Quantum
P210S from them.  So you can see they've been around awhile.  Their prices are
a little bit higher than what you might find elsewhere, but the difference is
usually not worth the time and effort of finding another reputable dealer.
Their tech support is really good, but they are not an Amiga shop (one or two
of the techs may have had an Amiga at one time), so don't expect answers on
questions directly concerned with the Amiga (like why the controller won't
work with the drive).  In general, they know the drives and can provide
information about the makeup of the drives (as it happened, they sold me the
P210S before their tech support had had a chance to find out about them).
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
(415) 691-6311					640 Clyde Ct.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

hyy94@campus.swarthmore.edu (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan24.034254.14482@uncecs.edu>, ruslan@uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) writes...

>We wanna buy a (new) Quantum 105 meg hard disk.  Can you folks help us
>figure what to specify and who to get it from?
>
>Specific questions -
>
>The drive:
>
>	1)  Most folks seem to call this a "ProDrive".  Is this a
>particular model or just what they happen to name their drives

Quantum has dubbed their drives "ProDrives" ever since 1988 or so.  It's
just a little gimmick thingee

>	2)  BriWall tried to sell us a 100 meg drive, since they didn't
>have the 105 one in.  (They also quoted a price for the 105 that was
>higher than what was printed in their January ad...)  Have y'all ever
>heard of Quantum putting out a 100 meg drive?  (We hadn't.)

No, me neither, I know they manufacture the 105 meg though.

>	3)  Okay, we know that it needs to be a SCSI drive, internal
>in our case (just going to hang it off the 2091.)  Is there any particular
>model number that we should ask for - or any that we should avoid - in
>order to get a happy Amiga-ready drive?

Just ask for the SCSI drive. Quantum also makes drives with AT interfaces
and not SCSI as well\

>The dealers:
>
>	Generally we deal with Safe Harbor, but their drive prices are
>a tad higher (i.e. almost $100) than those listed elsewhere.  So...
>keeping in mind little surprises like shipping/handling and credit
>card costs, or draconian return/refund policies, can you suggest any
>really good mail order deals that hold up under scrutiny?
>	In the February 91 Computer Shopper, page 427, we see an ad by
>the "Hard Drives International" company, which has (a/the) Quantum 105 meg
>SCSI drive for $499.  Has anybody got any stories to tell about these guys,
>bad or good?  (They also have the tradenames "PowerDrive" when they're
>speaking to Mac folks... and the ad says the company's a division of
>"Insight Distribution Network," if that provides any info.)

The best prices for drives I have EVER seen are Computability's.  They are
a VERY reliable source to buy from and they usually pay for shipping on
their hardware.  It is a very good outfit (unlike Montgomery Grant) and
their ads can always be found in Amiga World

bworrell@cmcvx1.claremont.edu (worrell, brandon lee) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan24.034254.14482@uncecs.edu>, ruslan@uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) writes...

>The dealers:
>
>	Generally we deal with Safe Harbor, but their drive prices are
>a tad higher (i.e. almost $100) than those listed elsewhere.  So...
>keeping in mind little surprises like shipping/handling and credit
>card costs, or draconian return/refund policies, can you suggest any
>really good mail order deals that hold up under scrutiny?
>	In the February 91 Computer Shopper, page 427, we see an ad by
>the "Hard Drives International" company, which has (a/the) Quantum 105 meg
>SCSI drive for $499.  Has anybody got any stories to tell about these guys,
>bad or good?  (They also have the tradenames "PowerDrive" when they're
>speaking to Mac folks... and the ad says the company's a division of
>"Insight Distribution Network," if that provides any info.)
>
>Thanks in advance!
>--
>Robin LaPasha              |Keeper of the Amiga

not buy from them.  I have several horror stories that I could tell you
but will not waste bandwidth.  Anyways, I would buy it from either Abel
Supply in Tenessee or APS (Alliance Peripheral Systems).  I don't happen
to have the number for them on me, but you can phone 1-800-555-1212
(assistance) and get APS's number.  Last I checked they also had it
for $499.  Keep in mind that they mainly sell to Mac users so you might
have to order it with a bracket for a MacII or something.  (Thats what
I had to do and it didn't cost extra.)  Anyways, I mush say that their
service is very good.  My Quantum 105 went bad, I sent it back to them
after talking with the service department and they sent me a new one
Federal Express next day air.  I was glad not to be without my harddrive
very long.

--Brandon Worrell
bworrell@cmcvx1.claremont.edu

4225_5105@uwovax.uwo.ca (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan24.034254.14482@uncecs.edu>, ruslan@uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) writes:

> We wanna buy a (new) Quantum 105 meg hard disk.  Can you folks help us
> figure what to specify and who to get it from?
>
> Specific questions -
>
> The drive:
>
> 	1)  Most folks seem to call this a "ProDrive".  Is this a
> particular model or just what they happen to name their drives?
> 	2)  BriWall tried to sell us a 100 meg drive, since they didn't
> have the 105 one in.  (They also quoted a price for the 105 that was
> higher than what was printed in their January ad...)  Have y'all ever
> heard of Quantum putting out a 100 meg drive?  (We hadn't.)
> 	3)  Okay, we know that it needs to be a SCSI drive, internal
> in our case (just going to hang it off the 2091.)  Is there any particular
> model number that we should ask for - or any that we should avoid - in
> order to get a happy Amiga-ready drive?
>
> The dealers:
>
> 	Generally we deal with Safe Harbor, but their drive prices are
> a tad higher (i.e. almost $100) than those listed elsewhere.  So...
> keeping in mind little surprises like shipping/handling and credit
> card costs, or draconian return/refund policies, can you suggest any
> really good mail order deals that hold up under scrutiny?
> 	In the February 91 Computer Shopper, page 427, we see an ad by
> the "Hard Drives International" company, which has (a/the) Quantum 105 meg
> SCSI drive for $499.  Has anybody got any stories to tell about these guys,
> bad or good?  (They also have the tradenames "PowerDrive" when they're
> speaking to Mac folks... and the ad says the company's a division of
> "Insight Distribution Network," if that provides any info.)

I just bought one Hard Drive Internationals PowerDrive.
Their PowerDrive line of HardDrives are aimed at the Mac market, but
a SCSI drive is a SCSI drive.  It only took a week for me to get my
drive from them, and I live in Canada.  The fan's a little louder than
I like, the cord was too short, but the drive seems to working fine,
both when I have used on Mac's and when I have used it on my Amiga.
BTW I bought the ST296N and it was about 440 for the drive, case
with power supply, cables and Mac Hard drive manager software.

john macdonald

> Thanks in advance!
> --
> Robin LaPasha              |Keeper of the Amiga

ruslan@uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) (01/31/91)

Well, after checking out HDI and APS (Alliance Peripheral Systems) for
Quantum P105S drives, we finally went with APS since (over the phone) their
drive prices have gone down to $399 (as opposed to $499 for HDI.) Total
w/shipping & handling, incl. 2nd day FedEx = $411.60.  (Phone for APS is
800-233-7550.)

Ordered Friday afternoon, shipped Monday, arrived Wednesday as promised,
in good shape, well packed.  Warning - there are no docs on the bare drive,
or ANY other info besides the invoice.  (We're still wondering how the
warrantee works, but we're not too worried since there were those
official-looking "don't remove this or you'll void your warrantee" stickers
from Quantum.  The invoice _does_ have the date and drive's serial
number on it.)

It works, it formats, it was already set to a different scsi unit number
than the 40meg Quantum we got with our 2500/30, we set the jumpers and
terminators (Randell Jesup and others were just talking about those
settings a short while ago - don't ask me about it since I don't understand
the stuff...)  It does _not_ come with "shorting blocks" (jumper doohickeys
for changing the scsi ids) so get some yourself if you'll need them.
It's nice.  The computer takes longer to boot now (_apparently_ it goes
walking down the scsi ids looking for the boot disk, which is a higher number
than the other one.  As I said, ask someone who knows better...and better
yet, ask them either in email or in c.s.a.hardware.)

I should note that HDI, though currently more expensive, was well-recommended
by net.folks.

Disclaimer: This is our first dealing with APS - so far a good one.  (Your
mileage may vary, of course.)

Thanks to Ben Scott and the other net.folks for all the info; it helped make
our ordering and installation trouble-free.
--
Robin LaPasha              |Keeper of the Amiga