[comp.sys.amiga.marketplace] Misuse of USENET

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb04.155225.7559@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>Who died and named you net.god?

No one named him net.god.  However, he's in the right.  Commercial
advertisements are WRONG.  I'd be really peeved if we lost
newsgroups because of commercial use in a non-profit/non-commercial
network.

>I like to see information posted here about where to find good deals and
>what their selection & pricing looks like.

Then start a mailing list.  As was mentioned in the original reply,
information postings of "I've had good luck and low prices with
such-n-such" are ok.  However, price quoting of multiple
products of one vendor is wrong.

>As long as no one is using the group for repetitive advertising for some
>company, I don't see what you could possibly have against someone posting
>information of value to many Amiga shoppers reading this group.
>
>Relax a little.  I don't think this is a problem.

No, it is a problem.  One person sees a price listing.  He cracks
open his AmigaWorld and hit hot little hands spend an hour typing
in all the prices saying "look here, xxxx has cheaper prices --
see!?!?!"  I've seen it happen before, and it's not pretty.
--
John  M.  Adams   --***--   Professional Student      ///
Internet: jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu     Genie:  vlad     ///  Only the Amiga