[comp.sys.amiga.marketplace] WANTED:

mofo@bucsf.bu.edu (jason greene) (01/31/91)

I am in great, exasperating need of a power supply for the A590 hard drive.

I was told by a local shop that a replacement transformer/cable deal
would cost me $158.00

This is not a bargain...

There MUST be a way to get one cheaper than this...... HELP!
--
___________________________________/V\ofo______________________________________
            "Hey! Wooly's gone apeshit, man!" -Dawn Of The Dead

bpv9073@sjfc.UUCP (Brett VanSprewenburg) (02/06/91)

In article <MOFO.91Jan31003714@bucsf.bu.edu> mofo@bucsf.bu.edu (jason greene) writes:
>I am in great, exasperating need of a power supply for the A590 hard drive.
>
>I was told by a local shop that a replacement transformer/cable deal
>would cost me $158.00
>
>This is not a bargain...
>
>There MUST be a way to get one cheaper than this...... HELP!
>--
Yes, there is. A while back I posted this to the I-AMIGA net on BITNET,
and with this topic raising it's head, I thought it might play well here
now.

Here goes.......begin included text..........

This is not meant to be an abuse of the network for my personal gain,
I am not somebody who's out to take you and your hard earned money for
a ride. I am doing this for the good of the Amiga Community, as I am
a part of it myself. :-)!

Ok, here's the scoop on the CBM stock power supplies, for the A500,
verses the ones that I build.

My basic unit is a 64 watt supply with more then 7 amps available at
5 volts and 2 amps at 12 volts. Compare this to the 35 watts of the CBM
supply with 4.3 to 4.5 amps at 5 volts and only 1 amp at 12 volts.
Oh, lets not forget the negitive voltages either. The A500 only needs -12
volts and my 64 watt supplies put out .25 amps at this level, compared to
.10 amps with the stock A500 supply. Ok, but now lets take a look at that
in chart form, just like the stats on Sunday football.

                 CBM stock unit                My replacement unit
                 --------------                -------------------
Max Wattage:           35                               63.5
Amps at 5 volts:   4.3 to 4.5                            7+
Amps at 12 volts:      1.0                               2.0
Amps at -12 volts:     .10                               .25
Fan cooled?            No                                Yes
Overload and
Short-out
protection
circuitry?            ?????                              Yes
Plug-n-Play?           Yes (of course)                   Yes
Keep up with
future expansion?      Not really                        Yes*
Standard IB* supply?   No (of course)                    Yes

* That's within reason. Don't expect to be able to power your entire
system and a harddrive subsystem (ie, one WITHOUT a power supply).
Besides, all A500 expansion boxes (on 86 pin edge connecter) come with
their own power supply) This supply is not designed to handle all of that.
However, larger supplies (ie. 100 or 150 watt systems) can be made at
an added cost, but what I offer here is the best deal in light that
the items that draw the most power on an A500 system come with THEIR
OWN power supplies. On with it...

What advantages does my supply give you? Well, the stock A500 supply is
only designed to power (1) an A500 (2) an A501 and (3) one external drive.
That's it. Nothing more. The stock A500 supply is maxed out here. Now,
I don't know about the rest of you, but I wanted a little bit more from
my computer. Ok, you've got the exact set-up I just mentioned, so my
new supply wouldn't benefit you...WRONG. How do you think your
computer sends messages to your modem or printer or DigiView or whatever.
Electricity, of course. But your stock CBM supply is already at max with
your above configuration...so it strains for those last few amps or
milliamps it needs to run your additional hardware. Not good; for your power
supply or your computer which is now short a few electrons. Ever read
the power requirements sticker on the bottom of your A500...mine says
max current draw 4.5 amps, which happens to be the EXACT MAXIMUM output
of the stock supply. Ok, I've beaten that subject enough, you get the
point.

I am using one of my 64 watt IB* supplies right now, have been for a couple
of months now. I personally power my A500, an AdRam 520 fully populated
with 2 megs of memory, an external MAST enhanced Unidrive with track
display, a 2400 modem, a color printer, a Xetec harddrive controller with
optional SIMM memory board (soon to have another cheap meg of SIMMS on it)
all with no problems what-so-ever. I have sold 2 of them to other people
who are also using them with no problems, but I don't know their
configurations, except that one of them has 3 drives and the other
has a 4 meg BaseBoard. If you've never seen an IB* supply,
they're fan cooled, have a nice big red paddle switch, are about twice the
size of the stock supply, are silver metal boxes that look really macho
with bright yellow warning stickers on them in 5 languages. (No, they're
not dangerous. The warnings are to stay out of it's insides while
it's running. Believe me, I'm careful!!)

Ok, here's my pitch. My supplies (63.5 watt, close enough to 64...) are
plug and play with the Amiga 500 and are a perfect replacement for the
stock unit. I don't suggest that you power you're computer+harddrive with
this unit, but all the A500 harddrive systems come with their own supply
(or a recommended one) for good reason obviously. I will modify an IB*
64 watt supply and send it to you (UPS), with a 30 day replacement
guarantee if the supply should fail (which I fully test on my machine
before I ship them) for $39 including shipping. (The odd amount is to
account for my shipping costs above what it costs me in time and
materials to make these units)

Thanks for listening.

==Brett   ...uupsi!cci632!sjfc!bpv9073  OR cci.com!sjfc!bpv9073@cci632
phone (716) 223-1912   OR   (716) 248-0982