[comp.sys.amiga.marketplace] hardware

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (02/04/91)

In article <1991Feb2.012241.21339@math.lsa.umich.edu> dbuchtal@math.lsa.umich.edu (Dave Buchthal) writes:
                               [...]
>Even in c.s.a.marketplace, blatent advertisements are frowned upon.
>The net should not be used for commercial purposes.  While it is
>perfectly acceptable to recommend one company due to satisfactory
>service, it is wholly inacceptable to post a company's product catalog
>and ordering information.
                               [...]

Who died and named you net.god?

I'm not frowning; are you frowning?   ;^)

I like to see information posted here about where to find good deals and
what their selection & pricing looks like.

As long as no one is using the group for repetitive advertising for some
company, I don't see what you could possibly have against someone posting
information of value to many Amiga shoppers reading this group.

Relax a little.  I don't think this is a problem.

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

 dbuchtal@math.lsa.umich.edu (Dave Buchthal) writes:

> Even in c.s.a.marketplace, blatent advertisements are frowned upon.

True.

> The net should not be used for commercial purposes.

True, and true by law for sites on the net supported by state or federal
governmental entities, and thus by extension at least morally for the
rest of the net whose postings transit those sites.

> While it is perfectly acceptable to recommend one company due to
> satisfactory service, it is wholly inacceptable to post a company's
> product catalog and ordering information.

But this I think is a judgement call.  While unsolicited postings of
long price lists are obnoxious and boring, and posting stuff from
magazines most of us pick up to shop from anyway is a waste of time,
and sending stuff by post before trying email a couple of times is
a newbie trick, I think there may still be times when a price list
for a little company of which most of us would never hear under
ordinary circumstances might be OK.

It just shouldn't be done by an employee or other interested party,
since that constitutes commercial use.
.
I don't think of a customer's posting a price list as advertising,
just information, though posting prices for dust covers in response
to queries about monitors is probably right out.

Kent, the man from xanth.